Re: Strange Bedfellows on a Saturday Night --> Nov 11, 1972

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:53 am

brian wrote:Burning love and hits from his movies was certified 2x platinum by the RIAA awhile ago.

That's more than Elvis is Back, Elvis Country, From Elvis in Memphis etc.

The movie songs do have an audience.

Thanks, Brian, nice point.

Maybe it's "Burning Love" more than the movie songs that people bought.

And perhaps the fact that the LP was so cheap influenced them too?

It's also worth considering that BLAHFHM was a very unusual Elvis LP in that it was actually named after a hit song.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:29 pm

The Garden Party album is a killer too

Absolutely!!! Already the great opener "Let It Bring You Along" is fantastic! Almost hard rock! :D

And I love the song "Garden Party".

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:16 pm

I hope this gets an FTD Classic Album release - after all, it charted higher than some of his other 70's LP's :wink:

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Rocker wrote:
Rob wrote:That album has always depressed me. That is poor management at its best.

Indeed, but on the other hand, Elvis could've always vetoed the release and put "Burning love" on a proper album but he didn't or didn't care. It's really disappointing to think that he had the biggest record in years and a good new album could've sold extremely well with BL as the lead-single. '72 was a very succesful year for Elvis, but it would be even more with that. And then the Aloha-succes. Maybe, just maybe, it would have given him a push and new interest in making music

Maybe he was not happy with a disliked song becoming a hit!

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Elvis' own personal problems by 1972 meant he had little interest in what his label released. His overwhelming un-enthusiastic nature can be seen in the late Summer of 1972 in footage of him receiving an award of some sort for the sales of his recent MSG Live album. He's polite and couteous, but you can tell he really couldn't care less.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:18 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:RCA and the Colonel were obviously pleased with the sales of the "Burning Love" album - they followed it with the "Separate Ways" Camden album. If the Colonel had been Rick's manager in 1972, Decca would've released "Rick sings Garden Party and songs from the Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet".

Don't forget the 8x10 bonus photo.

lol

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:RCA and the Colonel were obviously pleased with the sales of the "Burning Love" album - they followed it with the "Separate Ways" Camden album. If the Colonel had been Rick's manager in 1972, Decca would've released "Rick sings Garden Party and songs from the Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet".

Interesting comment, as Rick and Colonel did hook up around 1979 ... thank goodness it didn't last!

Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:30 am

Cool topic!

I'd forgotten that Bowie and Elvis shared a birthday.

Interestingly (well, to me anyway), I can see the Three Tuns pub where Bowie used to perform many moons ago from my bedroom window - it's only a stone's throw down the road and is now a Zizzi's.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:15 pm

That's in Beckenham ain't it londonflash?

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:34 pm

Here's a question for all you naysayers of the "Burning Love And Hits From The Movies Volume 2" album. What if Volume 2 actually did have 9 - 11 songs that truly were hit or great songs from Elvis' movies, would it change your opinion of the album? Did it truly need to be a contemporary album?

Love Me Tender
Loving You
Mean Woman Blues
Party
Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do
(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
Jailhouse Rock
Treat Me Nice
Young And Beautiful
(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care
King Creole
Hard Headed Woman
Trouble
G.I. Blues
Doin' The Best I Can
Pocketful Of Rainbows
Flaming Star
Wild In The Country
Blue Hawaii
Can't Help Falling In Love
Rock-A-Hula Baby
Follow That Dream
King Of The Whole Wide World
I Got Lucky
GIrls!, Girls!, Girls!
Return To Sender
One Broken Heart For Sale
They Remind Me Too Much Of You
Bossa Nova Baby
Kissin' Cousins
Viva Las Vegas
C'mon Everybody
I Need Somebody To Lean On
What'd I Say...

or any post "Viva Las Vegas" recording that was featured on a motion picture soundtrack.

Daryl

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:51 pm

I don't think the Burnng Love single fits with any of the old movie songs, no matter how great. If they wanted to do a comp, they should just have done Golden Records 5, compiling together If I Can Dream, Memories, In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, Don't Cry Daddy, Kentucky Rain, The Wonder Of You, I've Lost You, You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, I Really Don't Want To Know and both sides of the Burning Love single. With heavy promotion, easily a Top 5 album.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:35 pm

I don't have a problem with the movie songs per se, but they shouldn't be Elvis' new album in 1972. Tender Feeling, Am I Ready, Tonight is so Right For Love and No More are among my favorite movie songs. My choice for an Elvis fall 1972 studio album would've been the better tracks from the Fool album, with both sides of the Burning Love and Separate Ways singles. The Separate Ways album has some gems on it, too - Sentimental Me, In My Way, I Met Her Today, Is it So Strange, What Now, What Next, Where To - darn, that's a pretty good album! - but it shouldn't have been Elvis' new "studio" album.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:33 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:I don't think the Burnng Love single fits with any of the old movie songs, no matter how great. If they wanted to do a comp, they should just have done Golden Records 5, compiling together If I Can Dream, Memories, In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, Don't Cry Daddy, Kentucky Rain, The Wonder Of You, I've Lost You, You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, I Really Don't Want To Know and both sides of the Burning Love single. With heavy promotion, easily a Top 5 album.

Agreed: the "Hits From His Movies" bit was just nonsense and the fact that they weren't hits at all was just outrageous.

It works along a similar line to the thought that if RCA didn't really have a killer new studio album to follow "Aloha" (and they didn't) then they should have assembled a strong recent hits compilation to capitalise on Elvis' new high profile.

Yes, it all seems very easy in hindsight but it's a no-brainer to me.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:50 am

What is so incredible about this, is the sheer number of other fantastic songs on this hit list: numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,12,16,18 and 19 are FANTASTIC all-time greats. And Elvis leading that parade makes it even more incredible. He had amazing competition from all fields of popular music back in 1972, and still made it to the top of the list. An amazing feat.
His last great commercial stand as a singles artist IMO.

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's Saturday, November 11, 1972.

Elvis is rocking the house at the Oakland Coliseum, and even esteemed rock critic Greil Marcus, seeing him for the first time, finds something to like about the show ("How Great Thou Art").

If you're an unabashed Elvis Presley fan, you're rejoicing even more because he is, once again, #1 on the charts with another song in his set that evening:

"Burning Love"!

Cashbox Top 20 - For week ending November 11, 1972

F-yeah! "Ah," you think -- "all those naysayers can stuff their junk in a sack now! Elvis is BACK!"

The same week, a whole slew of new LPs are on the market -- including one from RCA's #1 man, Elvis.

You peek in Billboard and note all kinds of interesting and groovy releases. Then you see RCA's contribution.

Billboard - November 11, 1972

Talk about strange bedfellows! Elvis' album might as well be from outer space.

Suddenly, in a nutshell, the failure of RCA and management in the 1970s hits like a ton of bricks.

Oh well, at least Elvis Sings Burning Love and Hits From His Movies gets a decent review.

Side note: almost all the albums have an Elvis connection. Elvis let Voice do Bread's "Aubrey" on stage in 1974, and member Larry Knechtel recorded with Elvis in 1968 , Bowie was an RCA artist and admirer also born on January 8, Streisand played the International in '69 just before Elvis and would offer him a plum movie role in 1975, and Townshend was a fan from way back, who would later write a song in tribute to Elvis.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:00 am

James27 wrote:His last great commercial stand as a singles artist IMO.

The followup single, the downbeat ballad "Separate Ways," only made #20 but sold well enough to be certified Gold by the RIAA.

No doubt fans were excited enough by "Burning Love" to give the next one a chance.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 am

What should have been released in 1972 was something similar to the Standing Room Only concept we saw from FTD. The artwork from the FTD LP version would have been perfect, and a tracklisting something like this would have been his best LP of the decade:

SIDE 1
Burning Love
The Impossible Dream
Separate Ways
It's Over
It's Impossible
For the Good Times

SIDE 2
Where Do I Go from Here?
It's a Matter of Time
You Gave Me a Mountain
Never Been to Spain
Always On My Mind
An American Trilogy

As much as I love the great MSG album, there really shouldn't have been a need for it. A more artistically satisfying and quite visionary release as the one above, showcasing all strands of Elvis' 1972 musical vision as the complete performer would have been a knock-out. With Aloha coming up, that would have served perfectly as his showcase live show (although it's not as good as MSG, the global satellite broadcast does sells the product to Number 1 anyway) and in it he performs 4 tracks from this latest LP. A single release of Burning Love/An American Trilogy would have no doubt hit Number 1 aswell.

March 1972-April 1973, with better management, could've seen Presley re-emerge from the lull of the past 18 months or so. And see him return to the top with two fantastic LP's and a dynamite single which would've been up there with his absolute greatest. To top it off, in the middle of these 13 months we see the best Rock n Roll documentary for years, and perhaps Presley's finest film, aptly titled "Standing Room Only" showcasing the immense talent of Elvis and serve as a companion to the LP release and also help promote it.

Instead, the reality of what happened commercially was a little different.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:29 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:What should have been released in 1972 was something similar to the Standing Room Only concept we saw from FTD. The artwork from the FTD LP version would have been perfect, and a tracklisting something like this would have been his best LP of the decade:

SIDE 1
Burning Love
The Impossible Dream
Separate Ways
It's Over
It's Impossible
For the Good Times

SIDE 2
Where Do I Go from Here?
It's a Matter of Time
You Gave Me a Mountain
Never Been to Spain
Always On My Mind
An American Trilogy

Well, the SRO concept embraced by FTD certainly compiles a lot of the best material from the period all in one place. That being said, it still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of an artistic and creative vision. There are some wonderful tracks there and certainly many vocal showcases, but for the most part, one is left with mostly random, adult contemporary pieces that do not leave much room for growth or invention. That is one of the reasons why Elvis had difficulty topping many of them as the years progressed. The SRO concept suggested above is still a compromise, not an achievement.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:14 pm

SIDE 1
Burning Love
The Impossible Dream
Separate Ways
It's Over
It's Impossible
For the Good Times

SIDE 2
Where Do I Go from Here?
It's a Matter of Time
You Gave Me a Mountain
Never Been to Spain
Always On My Mind
An American Trilogy

Man, that would've been a depressing album. :D

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:19 pm

midnightx wrote:Well, the SRO concept ... still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of an artistic and creative vision.

True -- if Elvis could have followed the March 1972 sessions at RCA Hollywood with even one more like it in the fall, the resulting LP on November 11 would have been very well received, and perhaps even been considered superior to the much-heralded 1971 LP Elvis Country.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:53 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
SIDE 1
Burning Love
The Impossible Dream
Separate Ways
It's Over
It's Impossible
For the Good Times

SIDE 2
Where Do I Go from Here?
It's a Matter of Time
You Gave Me a Mountain
Never Been to Spain
Always On My Mind
An American Trilogy

Man, that would've been a depressing album. :D

And "Burning Love and Hits from his Movies 2" (or whatever the damn thing was called) wasn't? I know what you mean though, but it's still much stronger material than what appeared on most of his 1970's LP's and would've certainly been his best album recorded post 1970.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:29 pm

it's still much stronger material than what appeared on most of his 1970's LP's and would've certainly been his best album recorded post 1970.

Of course. I treasure each and every song, I only hinted on the themes of almost each song - all about lost love. It's probably even harder to listen to than FEPBMT. Listen to that album on a grey November day and you will feel VERY uncomfortable... :wink:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 pm

Nice top 10 there, and Elvis would indeed have nailed No8, and did quite nicely on No.11.

The Burning Love Camden album was one of the worst management decisions of Elvis' career - what a way to stop momentum but linking it to mostly poor movie songs

Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:59 pm

I remember buying the Burning Love album and then Separate Ways. I was just really starting to get into Elvis around this time. Both times I remember being so confused and disappointed by the majority of tracks on both albums. Just was not the Elvis who had captured my attention, nor the voice that was unlike anything I'd ever heard before. A real shame.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Lover Doll wrote:I remember buying the Burning Love album and then Separate Ways. I was just really starting to get into Elvis around this time. Both times I remember being so confused and disappointed by the majority of tracks on both albums. Just was not the Elvis who had captured my attention, nor the voice that was unlike anything I'd ever heard before. A real shame.

It was a real shame. Seriously, it is hard to believe RCA put Elvis' biggest single in years on a compilation of movie tracks. Talk about confusing the record-buying public and selling the single's potential short.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:06 pm

midnightx wrote:
Lover Doll wrote:I remember buying the Burning Love album and then Separate Ways. I was just really starting to get into Elvis around this time. Both times I remember being so confused and disappointed by the majority of tracks on both albums. Just was not the Elvis who had captured my attention, nor the voice that was unlike anything I'd ever heard before. A real shame.

It was a real shame. Seriously, it is hard to believe RCA put Elvis' biggest single in years on a compilation of movie tracks. Talk about confusing the record-buying public and selling the single's potential short.

It all gets back to "what were they thinking?"