Feb 1963 Benefit Show --> Very Mysterious!

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:03 pm

Looking through the archives, it seems in Nov 1962, Elvis had to bow out of a scheduled Memphis benefit appearance in February 1963!

Spokane Spokesman-Review - Nov 7, 1962

The mind reels with the many set list possibilities since his last gig, in Hawaii on March 25, 1961. These are just some of the great songs that had seen issue since that show:

Flaming Star
Summer Kisses, Winter Tears
I Feel So Bad
Wild In The Country
There's Always Me
Give Me The Right
In Your Arms
Put The Blame On Me
His Latest Flame
Little Sister
Can't Help Falling In Love
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Good Luck Charm
Anything That's Part Of You
Follow That Dream
Angel
Gonna Get Back Home Somehow
(Such An) Easy Question
Suspicion
That's Someone You Never Forget
She's Not You
King Of The Whole Wide World
Return To Sender
Where Do You Come From?

Oh, what a thrill this 1963 show might have been!

Anyone know more? It is already established that a Sep-Oct 1962 U.S. tour was canceled because management could not get RCA to underwrite it, but this 1963 benefit seems to be a bit of a surprise.

Re: Feb 1963 Benefit Show --> Very Mysterious!

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Looking through the archives, it seems in Nov 1962, Elvis had to bow out of a scheduled Memphis benefit appearance in February 1963!

The mind reels with the many set list possibilities since his last gig, in Hawaii on March 25, 1961. These are just some of the great songs that had seen issue since that show:

Flaming Star
I Feel So Bad
Wild In The Country
There's Always Me
Give Me The Right
In Your Arms
Put The Blame On Me
His Latest Flame
Little Sister
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Good Luck Charm
Follow That Dream
Angel
(Such An) Easy Question
Suspicion
She's Not You
Return To Sender
Where Do You Come From?

Anyone know more? It is already established that a Sep-Oct 1962 U.S. tour was canceled because management could not get RCA to underwrite it, but this 1963 benefit seems to be a bit of a surprise.

Great stuff Doc, as always 8). You surprise us every day. Thank you!. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:21 pm

Never heard of this either, very interesting indeed and another missed opportunity. Thanks for posting!

Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Wow - thanks Doc. I've never heard of this canceled show, either. Live versions of "Good Luck Charm" and "His Latest Flame" would've sounded great, I bet.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Wouldn't this have been hard given the filimng scheudle for "Fun in Acapulco"?

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Ohh my....thats a new information to me:) thank you Doc for your great reaserch:) good work !
what a fantastic song list, wow !!!!
thats someone youll never forget , gonna get back home somehow, his latest flame all in LIVE ! thats would have been a Platinum LP for sure :wink:
great day Doc , thank again for this information
Sincerely
Lior :smt006

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:32 pm

I wished Elvis had more control over his career.

Parker gives another weak excuse!!!

Great research Doc.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:47 pm

If only RCA would not have backed out of the 1962 live tour The Colonel had planned things might have gone in a different direction.
Elvis would have worked more and earned less but the fans would be happier. Or moan about no films being made.........

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Mike C wrote:Wouldn't this have been hard given the filimng scheudle for "Fun in Acapulco"?

One would assume this was the primary reason for the cancellation. But it would have not been impossible. Recall the March 1961 benefit was squeezed in-between the soundtrack sessions and filming of "Blue Hawaii."

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:01 pm

Luuk wrote:If only RCA would not have backed out of the 1962 live tour The Colonel had planned things might have gone in a different direction.
Elvis would have worked more and earned less but the fans would be happier. Or moan about no films being made.........

I'm sure Parker had some influence on that decision as he did with anything to do with his client. The movies were quick and easy money... no matter how degrading or ridiculous they were...

Thanks for posting that DJC... I also have never heard of that benefit nor the proposed 1962 tour.
:D

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks for the kudos, everyone!

The Doc is an Elvis fan!!

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:32 pm

It would have been a lot nicer than handing him a huge smoked ham!!! (as seen on the set of "It Happened At The World's Fair - man, that was embarrasing!!!) :twisted:

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks for posting this Doc, very interesting.
Would have been cool to hear Elvis performing "Little Sister" and "His latest flame" among others.

Lennart

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:53 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:It would have been a lot nicer than handing him a huge smoked ham!!! (as seen on the set of "It Happened At The World's Fair - man, that was embarrasing!!!) :twisted:

Actually, the ham was a gift to someone else, despite what that scene in 1981's "This Is Elvis" tried to convey.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Doc, the plans for the 1962 tour were very real.
But could this have been a publicity stunt and at the same time supporting a good cause? Did you find any other information with regards to the 1963 benefit?

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:15 pm

epf wrote:Doc, the plans for the 1962 tour were very real.
But could this have been a publicity stunt and at the same time supporting a good cause? Did you find any other information with regards to the 1963 benefit?

Not yet -- but it's just as likely management set up the 1963 gig as a salve for tanking the tour, and then "had" to cancel it when Hollywood intervened.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:Doc, the plans for the 1962 tour were very real.

Not yet -- but it's just as likely management set up the 1963 gig as a salve for tanking the tour, and then "had" to cancel it when Hollywood intervened.

The reply could not have been faster if i had phoned you! Thanks!

Hopefully some more will come to light with regards to this benefit. Very interesting to see what went on behind the scenes.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Luuk wrote:If only RCA would not have backed out of the 1962 live tour The Colonel had planned things might have gone in a different direction.

I'm sure Parker had some influence on that decision as he did with anything to do with his client. The movies were quick and easy money... no matter how degrading or ridiculous they were...

Thanks for posting that DJC...[color=#0000FF] I also have never heard of that benefit nor the proposed 1962 tour
.[/color] :D

The booklet of the FTD 'Elvis sings Memphis, Tennessee' is very informative.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Strange things happen...
Great find as always, doc! Thank you very much! :smt023 :smt026

O.S. ::rocks

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 pm

Bodie wrote:I wished Elvis had more control over his career.

Great research Doc.

You act as if Elvis was putting the tour together or that the tour was presented to Elvis and Parker looked for a reason to kill it. That was not the case. Still, it is a great loss Elvis let his personal appearance career slip away.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:11 am

midnightx wrote:

Great research Doc.

You act as if Elvis was putting the tour together or that the tour was presented to Elvis and Parker looked for a reason to kill it. That was not the case.

Why did you put that?

I just wished Elvis took more control over his career, he was a singer and performer and shouldnt have wasted so many years doing silly movies like Parker wanted him to do.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 am

Bodie wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Great research Doc.

You act as if Elvis was putting the tour together or that the tour was presented to Elvis and Parker looked for a reason to kill it. That was not the case.

Why did you put that?

I just wished Elvis took more control over his career, he was a singer and performer and shouldnt have wasted so many years doing silly movies like Parker wanted him to do.

Bodie,

This was just going to be a one performance charity benefit concert like Elvis did in 1961.

Schedule conflicts were an issue this time so Elvis had to cancel.

It happens all the time in Showbiz.

The show wouldn't of been filmed or anything so it's not a big loss.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:36 am

Bodie, there was also a part of Elvis that enjoyed the large paychecks and Hollywood lifestyle. He sold out and left behind a relevant music career, but he enjoyed a lot of what the unfulfilling mid-60's movies provided off the set. Of course, we all wish Elvis would have been more proactive with the artistic direction of his career.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Looking through the archives, it seems in Nov 1962, Elvis had to bow out of a scheduled Memphis benefit appearance in February 1963!

Flaming Star
I Feel So Bad
Wild In The Country
There's Always Me
Give Me The Right
In Your Arms
Put The Blame On Me
His Latest Flame
Little Sister
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Good Luck Charm
Follow That Dream
Angel
(Such An) Easy Question
Suspicion
She's Not You
Return To Sender
Where Do You Come From?

I spot some songs you've previously ragged on in that list. Change of heart, Doc?

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:08 am

midnightx wrote:Bodie, there was also a part of Elvis that enjoyed the large paychecks and Hollywood lifestyle. He sold out and left behind a relevant music career, but he enjoyed a lot of what the unfulfilling mid-60's movies provided off the set. Of course, we all wish Elvis would have been more proactive with the artistic direction of his career.

When i wrote that Elvis should have taken more control over his career i think that the reason why Elvis lacked alot of motivation is that he relied on Parker on whats best for him and very rarely questioned it.

If he stood upto Parker more like he did for the 68 Special we could have seen a better Elvis for most of the 60's.