"Something For The Girls" --> "I had it changed" (1957)

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:00 am

Erskine Johnson, famed Hollywood columnist, interviewed Elvis at Paramount in Feb 1957, during the creation of "Loving You." Among the more interesting tidbits are Elvis' claim that it was he who chose the film's ultimate title, his admiration for now-legendary actress Rita Moreno, and that girlfriend Dottie Harmony had been spending quite a bit of time with him.

Pittsburgh Press - Feb 24, 1957

Enjoy!

Re: "Something For The Girls" --> "I had it changed" (1957)

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:05 am

Fascinating tid-bit there, Doc.

The article is marred by Erskine Johnson's ridiculous condescension, though. I hope someone wrote "R Ah P" on his tombstone.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:37 am

Very interesting and typical of the style of the times.

It shrieks like Erskin Johnson interviewing his own typewriter.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:48 am

Nice article but one small point. It doesn't say that he choose the title, it says that, "he had it changed".

Which could mean that he told the studios, I don't like the title, can you come up with something else.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 am

If and it's big if he did have it changed it was to Lonesome Cowboy..........the worst song in the movie

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:34 am

The only reason the film was ultimately called "Loving You" was because Elvis rejected the working title he encountered in late Jan 1957.

It follows that if he also found "Loving You" not to his liking, he would have also vetoed it. He did not, and that is why one can easily write that it was he, and he alone, who chose the film's moniker.

Interesting too that he cared enough to insist on the change. Ten years later, he apparently voiced no objections to anything. In 1957, as D. J. Fontana remembered, "he had the power."

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The only reason the film was ultimately called "Loving You" was because Elvis rejected the working title he encountered in late Jan 1957.

It follows that if he also found "Loving You" not to his liking, he would have also vetoed it. He did not, and that is why one can easily write that it was he, and he alone, who chose the film's moniker.

Interesting too that he cared enough to insist on the change. Ten years later, he apparently voiced no objections to anything. In 1957, as D. J. Fontana remembered, "he had the power."

Very interesting incite. 1956-57 he was like Midas -- everything he did turned to gold -- all the while on the rise. His absence while in the army certainly changed that balance, while still a movie star, more likely to go along rather than buck the tide.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks for that article Doc.very interesting

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The only reason the film was ultimately called "Loving You" was because Elvis rejected the working title he encountered in late Jan 1957.

I guess he didn't voice any objections 8, 9, or 10 years later, so going by that logic, Elvis was responsible for the
titles to all of his movies.

He didn't object to:

Harem-Scarem
Easy come easy go
Clambake
Tickle me

And so on. And many of those 60's movies had working titles that ultimately became the titles as we all know them.

And Elvis was responsible for all of them, because he gave his silent approval.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:18 am

ekenee wrote:And Elvis was responsible for all of them, because he gave his silent approval.

You're catching on fast.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:And Elvis was responsible for all of them, because he gave his silent approval.

You're catching on fast.

Oh, your up late. Checking up on me?

FYI, I was being facetious.

I think the pathway that his film career had taken by then,
the titles were of little concern to him.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 am

Erskine Johnson, famed Hollywood columnist,

Famed! The rest of the hacks must have been bloody awful! :D

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:55 am

nickcat wrote:

Very interesting insight. 1956-57 he was like Midas -- everything he did turned to gold -- all the while on the rise. His absence while in the army certainly changed that balance, while still a movie star, more likely to go along rather than buck the tide.

Or, by the mid-sixties, he just didn't care anymore. Thanks for the kudos.

keninlincs wrote:Thanks for that article Doc.very interesting

Thanks, Ken!

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks for the interesting article.

Davide

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks, articles like this are fascinating!

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Interesting drawing of Elvis, looks more like Elvis of the 70's era. Just like the gates at Graceland. Eerie.

Thanks, doc.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks for posting the article Doc!

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Doc-Thanks for taking the time not only to post the article but to also find it.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Great stuff,I've said it before and I'll say it again,I love seeing these contemporary articles
keep 'em coming.(or should i say "Ah love seeing...")

Love the colonel quote about the haircut-"he's hoping there will be no fuss even though he hates to pass up a buck"-that's rich coming from him though his tongue was surely in his cheek!

norrie

Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:36 pm

epf wrote:Interesting drawing of Elvis, looks more like Elvis of the 70's era. Just like the gates at Graceland. Eerie.

Thanks, doc.

I thought that it looked sort of like a drawing of the 70's EP, too.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:16 pm

7-for-7!

Thanks a lot, your kindness is appreciated.

The DOC digs the man and his music!

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:47 am

nickcat wrote:
epf wrote:Interesting drawing of Elvis, looks more like Elvis of the 70's era. Just like the gates at Graceland. Eerie.

Thanks, doc.

I thought that it looked sort of like a drawing of the 70's EP, too.

Since I see a drawing of a slim-bodied crazy cat with a flipped-up jacket and ultra-cool, shiny hair, this fan immediately took it to be a drawing of Elvis from the 50s.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:09 am

As can be seen,two other title's to the movie 'Loving You' was 'The Texas Whistler',and 'Lonesome Cowboy'.

Davide

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:01 am

davide wrote:Image

As can be seen,two other title's to the movie 'Loving You' was 'The Texas Whistler',and 'Lonesome Cowboy'.

Davide

That is incorrectly assuming Tepper's song, "Lonesome Cowboy," was considered for the title slot when initially submitted as "The Texas Whistler." In the letter itself, you still see the given title as "Running Wild," which is what Ed Sullivan called it on Sunday, January 6.

According to famed columnist Dorothy Kilgallen in a Feb 18, 1957 column, the sequence was:

The Lonesome Cowboy
Running Wild
Something For The Girls

Dorothy Kilgallen - Feb 18, 1957

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
davide wrote:Image

Davide

That is incorrectly assuming Tepper's song, "Lonesome Cowboy," was considered for the title slot when initially submitted as "The Texas Whistler." In the letter itself, you still see the given title as "Running Wild," which is what Ed Sullivan called it on Sunday, January 6.

According to famed columnist Dorothy Kilgallen in a Feb 18, 1957 column, the sequence was:

The Lonesome Cowboy
Running Wild
Something For The Girls

Dorothy Kilgallen - Feb 18, 1957

And Elvis didn't like any of those right?

Seriously, I think the reasoning was this.

Just as with "Love me Tender" they were thinking of the tie-in.
If they find the right "A" side hit single material, they just might change the title to the songs title.

There was no way they were going to call the movie, "Teddy Bear", so "Loving you" was the
logical choice.