Re: Landau --> "'Mystery Train': Right on Time" (1975)

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
czeskleba wrote:I'm not sure how you are coming to the conclusion that I'm not much of a fan of the Sun sides... I did say "the Sun sides are great" in my earlier post. I just think those recordings are critically overrated relative to Elvis' other recorded output, kind of like how Pet Sounds is overrated relative to everything else the Beach Boys did.

Neither are overrated at all. Each is a perfect example of a unique, high-water mark in the respective artist's career.

Again, all of your comments indicate your regard of the Sun period is not what it could be. And you also seem miffed that Marcus was instrumental in bringing the greatness of Elvis' Sun period to the general fan's attention. That's not our loss.

Altough i do not totally agree with czeskleba quote, i do think he's making a point here.
I would rather argue that despite the unigues of some sun recordings it was first and foremost elvis looks and
stage performance that caught attention.

Re: Landau --> "'Mystery Train': Right on Time" (1975)

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:08 am

Well i read this book yesterday and its a very fine book. What it says about Elvis is VERY interesting, particularily what it says based upon seeing 'on tour' and 'Aloha' and Elvis live act......