"Elvis In Form: Good, bad, ungodly" --> Eugene, OR, Nov 1976

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:24 am

Here's some fun for 70s lovers, for the upcoming weekend.

Elvis was still a front-page news in 1976, exciting thousands at McArthur Court in Eugene, OR on Thanksgiving Day.

-----

Eugene Register-Guard, Friday Oct 1, 1976
Note just one date, Nov 27, mentioned ... Nov 25 was added due to the demand for tickets!

Eugene Register-Guard, Friday Nov 26, 1976 (page 1)

Eugene Register-Guard, Friday Nov 26, 1976 (page 3A)

---

Enjoy!

Re: "Elvis In Form: Good, bad, ungodly" --> Eugene, OR, Nov

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:45 am

"Prowling, leering, mesmerizing ..."

Pretty cool!

Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:20 am

It's always funny to note the idiosyncrasies in concert reviews. In this case, the critic seems to have quite liked the show---an unusual enough phenomenon in an erratic year like 1976---but he discusses the actual performances quite briefly, not even mentioning any specific songs, because he's fascinated by all the surrounding hoopla (I wonder what went into getting that information about the Thanksgiving hamburger!). I haven't read that many period reviews, but it seems unusual for this sort of review, which lingers on Elvis the phenomenon as a sort of freak, to also wholeheartedly praise Elvis the entertainer, especially in '76. I guess the King could still get it up at times...

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:19 am

That's a great write-up.
You'd think it was 1956 and not 1976.

I have another write-up from this concert somewhere. And it is very postive as well.

As a teenager living only 55 miles from there, I didn't have the money to go.

I figured it was probably sold out anyway. I still regret not finding a way to go.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks Doc,great find

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:27 pm

Perhaps a nice adition to John`s interesting posting:

Eugene Nov. 25, 1976 ES

Unfortunately the show is not complete... the sound is outstanding, though.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:29 pm

Elvis was certainly much better than earlier on in the year. I guess, the reviewer themself obviously got caught up in the hysteria of it all. Seeing Elvis Presley must've been a mesmerising experience, and on form he can still pack it with the best of them, even in 1976. He certainly had trimmed down a lot, in the dark concert-room, with a sparkling jumpsuit on and few stories of his ill-health you wouldn't have known much different? No wonder CBS were originally prompted to cover one of his tours next year.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:48 pm

The reviewer certainly gives a good impression of the hoopla,excitement and atmosphere
of an Elvis show.He may have been a fan already but he certainly got taken in by it all.
Thanks for the article Doc,it's always interesting to read contemporary pieces on Elvis.

norrie

Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks Doc - yes in the light of the recent cancellation of Englebert Humperdinks Dortmund August concert.... i await Nevously for my seeing him in Sydney in November....anyhow... this kind of excitement/anticiptation shows how the audience were STILL 'excited' to see Elvis in 1976...thankfully with a bit more 'Zest' than earlier that year great reading thanks again Doc!~ :roll: :lol:

Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:03 pm

Revelator wrote:It's always funny to note the idiosyncrasies in concert reviews. In this case, the critic seems to have quite liked the show---an unusual enough phenomenon in an erratic year like 1976---but he discusses the actual performances quite briefly, not even mentioning any specific songs, because he's fascinated by all the surrounding hoopla (I wonder what went into getting that information about the Thanksgiving hamburger!). I haven't read that many period reviews, but it seems unusual for this sort of review, which lingers on Elvis the phenomenon as a sort of freak, to also wholeheartedly praise Elvis the entertainer, especially in '76. I guess the King could still get it up at times...

Actually, it was quite common for reviewers throughout the 70s to concentrate on the hoppla more as on the show itself. How the reviews turned out had much to do with if the specific reviewer liked the hoppla or didn't. Some people simply should not attend live concerts.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:52 pm

Google news does seem to get a lot of hits from Elvis scholars...a lot of these reviews can now be found easily online!

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:35 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:Google news does seem to get a lot of hits from Elvis scholars...a lot of these reviews can now be found easily online!

Cool Scott -- get digging, scan and share. It should only take a minute or two.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:58 am

Thank you Doc, love these concert reviews ::rocks

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:47 am

Good review and it is nice to focus on the `hoopla' which still made many or even most Elvis concerts a great event right up till 1977

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:05 am

I think alot of these critics didn't stay for the entire concert. That's why they tended to comment on the opening acts and Elvis' entrance. Lazy.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:57 pm

elvisjock wrote:I think alot of these critics didn't stay for the entire concert. That's why they tended to comment on the opening acts and Elvis' entrance. Lazy.

Lazy in some cases, but not all. In order to get a story into the following day's paper back then, they needed to get the piece written and turned in ASAP.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:13 am

patricia66 wrote:
Revelator wrote:It's always funny to note the idiosyncrasies in concert reviews. In this case, the critic seems to have quite liked the show---an unusual enough phenomenon in an erratic year like 1976---but he discusses the actual performances quite briefly, not even mentioning any specific songs, because he's fascinated by all the surrounding hoopla (I wonder what went into getting that information about the Thanksgiving hamburger!). I haven't read that many period reviews, but it seems unusual for this sort of review, which lingers on Elvis the phenomenon as a sort of freak, to also wholeheartedly praise Elvis the entertainer, especially in '76. I guess the King could still get it up at times...

Actually, it was quite common for reviewers throughout the 70s to concentrate on the hoppla more as on the show itself. How the reviews turned out had much to do with if the specific reviewer liked the hoppla or didn't. Some people simply should not attend live concerts.

Well, a bit more focus on the music is always welcome, but that's a rather stern rebuke, in my opinion. I enjoy all these newspaper cuttings for what they are: a slice of history. Almost any time a review of a concert from 1976 or 1977 appears, you can guarantee that the writer will comment on the larger-than-life appeal of Elvis, the hoopla surrounding his presence, and the ritualized nature of his concerts by that time (e.g. scarf-gifting). There's always this gleam of surprise that Elvis has not only endured but turned into a living legend and is still packing every place he goes out, with a seemingly untrammeled power to astonish and befuddle. That, alone, tells us something about the man and his music, and the following it has engendered, I think. I'm also fond of the way the passage of time, or the perception of its after-effects in the human mind, tends to transform and sentimentalize everything. Here, one cute thing I note is the instruction at the bottom of the first scan: "The orders should include 50c for handling charge and a self-addressed, stamped envelope". Ah! The pre-Internet days. There's a little tinge of both mundanity and sadness there, as well. Reading through, one can almost imagine going through the motions right now and placing that order to see Elvis. Western Union, clickety-clack ...

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:40 am

Cryogenic wrote:Well, a bit more focus on the music is always welcome, but that's a rather stern rebuke ...

Stern, but perhaps also accurate.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Check out the part about Elvis chasing seagulls on a beach in Oregon... :D
ELVIS liked the Eugene area so much that he played two concerts at Mac Court in November 1976
August 10, 12:50 PM
Eugene Everyday People Examiner
Dave Masko
EUGENE, Oregon – Eva Ricard and Tom Ensler remember the lights at MacArthur Court made a slanting yellow glow on the snow that said one word – “ELVIS.” Next to this memory of their first concert, they also remember where they were at when Elvis died on Aug. 16, 1977, a sad 33rd anniversary of Elvis passing this coming week.

“It’s funny what you remember in life and what you forget. I remember that Elvis concert and then, strangely, his death. Such is the power and appeal of Elvis. In fact, my grandmother had, for years, three pictures hanging in her kitchen. There was Pope John Paul and President John Kennedy, and on top of them was a portrait of Elvis,” said Eva Ricard, who will present her “oral history story about Elvis” at the Elvis Tribute in Florence on Saturday.

The year was 1976, and Elvis Presley was in Eugene, and on the University of Oregon campus where then students Ricard and Ensler were “waiting in line for tickets,” for his two Eugene shows. He would play on Nov. 25 and Nov. 27 at Mac Court.

Elvis would later state during the concerts that Eugene was his kind of place, and that he liked it here very much.

“In those days you could get a ticket for a show on the day of the performance. We had heard that 10,000 or something tickets had already been sold for both of Elvis’s shows, but we had student ID’s so we were cool,” remembers Tom Ensler.

“What I later learned was somewhat interesting was Elvis moving about our area. For example, after the first concert on Nov. 25th, during our Thanksgiving break, Elvis had another show up in Portland on Nov. 26. I learned that he flew into Eugene for the concert from a previous one in Reno. However, he chose to drive a special tour bus from Eugene over to the Oregon coast and then up to Portland. Then, he’s driving back down to our area for his final show on Nov. 27. It’s just amazing to think of him doing that, I mean the concert and then all the driving,” Ensler explains.

During this period, Elvis was not well say various media reports of the time. “Elvis referenced having a cold during the Nov. 25 concert,” Ricard said. “I then read a few days later that Elvis walked the beach in Florence and really loved the coast. There’s even this iconic photo that I recall from the newspaper of Elvis chasing seagulls on the Florence beach. Next to the concert, the wide grin on his face in that photo will always stay with me. Imagine, Elvis just hanging on the Florence beach.”

University of Oregon historical records state that the Elvis concerts at MacArthur Court for those two dates in November 1976 cost an admission price of $10 for general admission and $12.50 for reserved seats.

“Yea, we had the reserved seats for what was then a bit pricey at $12.50,” said Picard with a big laugh. “I also checked my student journal from back then and wrote that Elvis kicked off the concert with C.C. Rider and performed about 20 or so of his hits. My gosh, all of his songs were hits.”

Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Never heard or seen that photo before. Anyone know anything about it, would be a pretty cool candid!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:42 pm

"He was greeted by a thunderous ovation and an explosion of thousands of flashbulbs..."

"...and launched into See See Rider...pandemonium...!"

Great stuff! I wonder how your ear would feel after an Elvis concert. Whenever I put on an audience recording and put the volume up high...it´s impossible not to get fascinated or moved by the life in the crowd. I often get tears in my eyes when I listen and at the same time think of how loved this man and artist was by the thousands who went to experience him live in concert. Like I said, I tend to be an emotional sonofabitch...and just a fan...

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Scott Hayward wrote: “I then read a few days later that Elvis walked the beach in Florence and really loved the coast. There’s even this iconic photo that I recall from the newspaper of Elvis chasing seagulls on the Florence beach. Next to the concert, the wide grin on his face in that photo will always stay with me. Imagine, Elvis just hanging on the Florence beach.”
[/quote]

Great article.. but we all know the chance of Elvis walking on the beach over there.. in 1976, is below zero.
If anyone locates that pic it's the find of the month.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:23 pm

I'll also pay for a photo of Elvis visiting Bill Randle's class, in 1977. Or, for the Summer '77 New York trip.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:27 pm

elvisjock wrote:I'll also pay for a photo of Elvis visiting Bill Randle's class, in 1977. Or, for the Summer '77 New York trip.

Along with the July '77 poolside interview footage, that photo is the holy grail. Elvis was quite busy during the summer of '77!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Elvis in person. I had the joy of seeing 29 performances, and as a big fan, and not believing Elvis could do much wrong, I soaked in every performance. This writer, not a fan, apparently got taken in by it all, too.

You cannot imagine the excitement in the air (in my gut) waiting to see a show -- waiting for the month, the day, the time, through the intermission -- and then seeing Elvis in person. He could do ANYTHING. Unfortunately, in 1976 and especially 1977, he didn't.

But still, to see him in the flesh, and hear his voice was utterly amazing -- and I can't believe it's been more than 33 years since I've had that experience.

We've had too many soundboards where you know what to expect. In person, you could expect, but you never knew. And most soundboards don't capture anything like I heard. The Elvis In Concert album offers many highlights for me -- matching more closely what I heard in person.

Unlike many fans who weren't there at the time, everything is hindsight. There's nothing to look forward to in the life and music of Elvis. Elvis was a real, living person I got to spend time "with" every once and a while -- and was looking forward to many more opportunities, hearing his voice mature and singing songs I like.

i don't care what others "honestly" or "technically" tell me I should like or not like -- or those that don't really care for ANYTHING after the early '70s. I had a great combination of hearing albums I really like (TODAY and MOODY BLUE, GOOD TIMES and PROMISED LAND) and hearing him perform IN PERSON.

He wasn't this '50s performer, '60s performer, movie performer, etc. He was Elvis in 1976 and 1977 -- and I wanted more in 1978 and 1979, etc., etc. Many on this board would probably have had no interest in Elvis in the 1980s or 1990s.