Re: "Yeah! She's Evil" --> Haley Scoops Presley (1964)

Sat May 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Is that James Burton picking on Stop Look, Listen? Thx

Sat May 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:In this case, though, Elvis cut "Wonderful World" about a month before it was rendered by Cliff Richard, having been cut at Western Recorders on Thursday, March 7, 1968. The 13th Annual Eurovision Song Contest in 1968 was held at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday, April 6, 1968.

He didn't sing it at the final, but rather at the British qualification for the Eurovision final. Usually those are around February-March. The British entry for the final was Congratulations by Cliff, too, and that was recorded in early February...

The TV show was January 27th 1968 and Cliff recorded Wonderful World early February a full month before Elvis. The 27th January show was to decide which song Cliff sang at the Eurovision show. Wonderful world came in 3rd with the voters. Cliff recorded all six songs in Early February and they were released on an EP. Six Songs for Europe.

Although the writers of the song, Guy Fletcher and Doug Flett, missed out on this occasion, they did have better luck with Cliff in 1973 as he sang their song, Power to all our friends, in the Eurovision contest.
Last edited by kevinstevenage on Sat May 07, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat May 07, 2011 5:14 pm

fn2drive wrote:Is that James Burton picking on Stop Look, Listen? Thx

It is.

Eagle eyed fans will notice the song "In my dreams" appeared on the same album as stop look and listen. This was the song PJ Proby recorded as a demo and in the late 80's (?) the press were claiming it was Elvis......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4frL73ehOOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a57Ltv2EVw

Sat May 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Wonderful world was recorded on 02-02-68 by Cliff Richard (Columbia EP SEG 8540); on 31-10-68 he recorded a German version.

Stop look and listen was recorded on 17-09-64 by Rick Nelson for an album.

colonel snow

Sat May 07, 2011 5:46 pm

[quote="drjohncarpenter"]As Elvis took a swan dive into his Hollywood career, his music publishers pulled songs from everywhere.

but not just later in Elvis' career, it happened from the start with Love Me Tender movie and the song We're Gonna Move. Also with movies - Loving You, G.I.Blues, Blue Hawaii, Girls Girls Girls, Viva Las Vegas, Fun In Acapulco, Roustabout.............
Last edited by kevinstevenage on Sat May 07, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Almost one year later, I still prefer Elvis' version to Rick's bland, boring take on the song.

Steve L.

Sat May 07, 2011 6:02 pm

stevelecher wrote:Almost one year later, I still prefer Elvis' version to Rick's bland, boring take on the song.

Steve L.

+ 1

Sat May 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Full Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mImQGdaJqro

Sat May 07, 2011 7:44 pm

kevinstevenage wrote:I suppose we could give mention to Wonderful World that Elvis recorded for Live a Lttle Love a Little. It had previously been recorded by Cliff Richard with different lyrics as one of six tunes that were sung by him for the 1968 Eurovision Song contest. The six tunes were then voted for to see which one he would sing in the Contest. Wonderful World was one that was cast aside. Song 5, Congratulations was chosen as the winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B7gM6usBLo

Thanks for above link, I had known that Cliff recorded a song called 'Wonderful World' but wasn't sure if it was The Elvis song and had certainly never heard Cliff's version, it was also good to hear the full version of Bill's 'Yea She's Evil'. He did a pretty good job with that.

I realise there were exceptions, Bossa Nova Baby, Little Egypt, Frainkie and Johnny etc. but had thought 99% of the songs were writen especially for the '60's films, which is why I was surprised to hear Bill and Ricks versions.

Talking of movie songs Elvis could have made a much better job of Old McDonald if he had wanted to. Frank Sinatra did a great swinging version of it in the 50's. Unfortunatly Elvis was so fed up of the movie soundtracks by then, he just sleepwalked through them.

Chris.

Sat May 07, 2011 8:10 pm

the link is next to it for the Abbey Road studio version.

The majority of Elvis' movie songs were written especially him. There were a few exceptions and dont forget..........Blue Hawaii, Shoppin Around, Hawaiian Wedding Song, Girls Girls Girls, Hot dog.

You mention Frankie and Johnny, well the Frankie and Johnny stage number within the Elvis film is very similar to the Frankie and Johnny stage number in Viva Las Vegas - also known as Meet me in Las Vegas the 1956 ,movie.

And we know Kid Galahad was RE-MAKE but Frankie and johnny was also a 1936 movie.

Sun May 08, 2011 5:16 am

Bill Haley also scooped Elvis with Shake Rattle and Roll