Re: TTWII --> One of "The Greatest Albums Ever Made"

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:01 am

Heartbreak Hotel, etc. were not teenybopper songs, any more than the pop-rock hits he was covering in the 70's. Proud Mary was NO more adult/serious.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:23 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:... he would have been better suited to just leave them alone than to try and make everyone happy. If he didnt like that music any longer he should have just left it alone.

Agree 100%.

But Elvis was not of that mindset.

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Heartbreak Hotel, etc. were not teenybopper songs, any more than the pop-rock hits he was covering in the 70's. Proud Mary was NO more adult/serious.

Agree 100%.

But Elvis was not of that mindset.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:34 am

No artist I have ever seen in concert throws away his own repertoire like Elvis. It wasn't up to his manager or roadies to have him slow down the songs and respect the material. That is up to the individual. Elvis didn't care enough and he could get away with it, I suppose, because of his overall aura and charisma.

Doc, it is only fractions of a point we are agreeing to disagree about, but the August 12, 1970 concert, IMO, would not have led a reviewer to use the words self parody without knowledge of what was yet to come. This review was partly based on the reviewer's opinion of live Elvis and not just the show in question.

I've seen Paul McCartney in the last 5 years and he is fantastic. No throwaways and no BS that his voice changed too much to do authentic, tremendous versions of great records. If I get the chance to see him again, I would want him to do as many Beatle songs as possible, as opposed to his later, lesser work.

Steve Lecher

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:36 am

Nice post Steve. Do see Paul if you can -- what a show!

We'll just have to differ on the reviewer's perspective of TTWII. He is no doubt very firm in his view of Elvis on stage in 1970, as opposed to Elvis in the studio the same year.

Bottom line: Elvis in 1970 gets a bunch of respect from Rolling Stone.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:Is not the main part of this issue that Elvis himself was of the impression that Hound Dog and the likes did not live up to the standard of i.e. Yesterday?

Apparently so -- but I'd rank the July 1956 recording of "Hound Dog" about a thousand places higher in any poll of essential 20th century recordings. Back in 1970, such thinking was far from the norm. And Elvis read a lot more than people give him credit for.

Totally agree, doc. That kind of irks me, really. That Elvis is so often portrayed as an illiterate (sp?). But that is another subject. So let me keep on track by repeating that i totally agree.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:53 pm

epf wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:Is not the main part of this issue that Elvis himself was of the impression that Hound Dog and the likes did not live up to the standard of i.e. Yesterday?

Apparently so -- but I'd rank the July 1956 recording of "Hound Dog" about a thousand places higher in any poll of essential 20th century recordings. Back in 1970, such thinking was far from the norm. And Elvis read a lot more than people give him credit for.

Totally agree, doc. That kind of irks me, really. That Elvis is so often portrayed as an illiterate (sp?). But that is another subject. So let me keep on track by repeating that i totally agree.

As great as Elvis' 1956 cut of Hound Dog was, I believe that he didn't think much of the song itself, as he got older.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:26 pm

I enjoy Elvis' '70s work the most to which I also include the American Studio recordings, too.

I rarely listen to the '50s Elvis, though I'm glad they are there as I would not have gotten the '70s Elvis.

I was only a kid when I started seeing Elvis in person. Was I excited to hear HOUND DOG, DON'T BE CRUEL, LOVE ME, or TEDDY BEAR in person? No. Was I happy he rushed them to get to things I wanted to hear? YES.

Elvis HAD to sing these. They often received the greatest response, which probably made Elvis a little sad. Look what I'm doing today (I'M LEAVIN', SUSPICIOUS MINDS, MY BOY, etc.), but THEY want the old stuff.

Elvis is thinking the old stuff sounds funny and doesn't compare to the material of "today". He probably is embarrassed.

For me, after the exciting “2001/See See Rider” opening, I was looking forward to the songs HE liked to sing – IF YOU LOVE ME, AND I LOVE YOU SO, HURT, HOW GREAT THOU ART, MY WAY, POLK SALAD ANNIE, AMERICA (maybe he did – maybe he just felt compelled, but it was a rare addition to the set list in 1976), THE WONDER OF YOU, TRYIN’ TO GET TO YOU, ONE NIGHT, LET ME BE THERE, I’M LEAVIN’, BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER, T-R-O-U-B-L-E (which he sang at many tours which can’t be said of many of his singles) and BIG BOSS MAN.

Who was I as a teen to question Elvis’ preference? I loved hearing Elvis’ voice, and if that’s what he liked to sing, great! In fact, I enjoyed them all.

So, Elvis didn’t OWE me anything – or his material. He made the choices. I didn’t always like his selections (HELP ME in person and SHE WEARS MY RING are boring), but there was certainly enough to keep me coming back and still eager to buy “new” material 33 years later.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:37 pm

Joe Car wrote:
epf wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

As great as Elvis' 1956 cut of Hound Dog was, I believe that he didn't think much of the song itself, as he got older.

Yep. Too bad. The good side though that he had a mindset then that was willing to change in order to survive. He did not want to be strictly and Goldie-but-oldie singer and i have to give him credit for that.

Also, it is not completely fair to compare the career of Elvis with that of Paul. Paul was a member of a group for periods of times, contrary to Elvis. That gave Paul the chance to work with that, most certainly after John Lennon died.

Elvis was on his own and did things his way, both good and bad. But ultimately, he was alone in the process. An important factor in dealing with stress, keeping grounded and getting feedback.