Re: "If I Can Dream" --> Happy 42nd Birthday !

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:42 am

A great song delivered by Elvis - Pure Magic - Surely sends shivers down my spine - Love it -
Great momentous era for The King - Love It - One of my favorite eras and songs I do enjoy - Such power , message etc - Great song depicting the times -
::rocks :smt007 :smt006
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by karlos on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:43 am

A great song and a great moment in the history of music. If only Steve Binder had of captured the moment when Elvis sang the song for the first and fell to his knees- according to Steve's memoirs. That would've been great to see on camera.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:05 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:A great song and a great moment in the history of music. If only Steve Binder had of captured the moment when Elvis sang the song for the first and fell to his knees- according to Steve's memoirs. That would've been great to see on camera.

Not sure if Steve Binder has published his memoirs, or the knee drop, but in more than one interview he relates how Elvis had all the lights turned down at Western Recorders when he waxed his lead vocal for "If I Can Dream," ending up on the studio floor in a fetal position rolling back and forth as he crafted his master.

One suspects a camera would have inhibited Presley more than a little. Still, great story, tremendous recording, and a turning point in Elvis' life and career.

Thank you forever, Steve Binder.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Yes, thank you Steve Binder. Thank you for standing up to his management, trying to achieve creattive progress, which was a pain in the backside with The Colonel around.

The best book on the subject, i would recommend J. Tunzi's "68 at 40". It gives the full story about the making of the show in steve's own words. God bless him.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:41 am

I agree with so many other Elvis fans, this song is nearly indescribable. The performance, the arrangement, the timing, all make this a one-of-kind song. In many ways, the fact that Elvis did not sing this in any other concert makes this a real once-in-a-lifetime performance!

QUESTION: I've heard many stories and rumors over the years associated with the song "If I Can Dream." Did Dr. King's untimely assasination death in Memphis that year influence Elvis in any way to perform this song....OR perhaps influence the writers who presented it to Elvis? Just wondering. Thanks

rlj

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:14 am

rlj4ep wrote:I agree with so many other Elvis fans, this song is nearly indescribable. The performance, the arrangement, the timing, all make this a one-of-kind song. In many ways, the fact that Elvis did not sing this in any other concert makes this a real once-in-a-lifetime performance!

QUESTION: I've heard many stories and rumors over the years associated with the song "If I Can Dream." Did Dr. King's untimely assasination death in Memphis that year influence Elvis in any way to perform this song....OR perhaps influence the writers who presented it to Elvis? Just wondering. Thanks

rlj

I think it's a good bet, especially for the writer. But, despite the differences between Binder and the late W. Earl Brown, his description of the writing is intriguing. He says it was inspired by a sunset. And when you look at the lyrics, you can sort of see that . . .

Now, of course, it was mostly influenced by current events, particularly since "current events" at the time even intruded on the early meetings about the Special. (They were meeting at night, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, and this seemed to get Elvis to open up and talk about a lot of things, while picking on a guitar for hours.)

So, I don't see a discrepancy between their accounts at all. All of that went into the song, but a performance like that is just more than the sum of its parts, I'd say.

It's the eve of June 27th. Tomorrow evening, Pacific Time, will be the 45th anniversary of the "sit-down shows." And a few days later, the 45th anniversary of his live performance of "If I Can Dream," on June 30th.

I don't see that Sony is commemorating it in any way. I know I'll be playing it. (One thing about this song: unlike many "inspirational" type message songs, it's not a "sing-a-long." It encourages listening, but is not the type of song that gets people singing along and swaying. It's not that kind. It's not something anyone can imitate in any way, and it's not necessarily a "feel-good" song either. It's a song about pain and suffering, and making promises to oneself. A very tough piece of material.)

(Words & music by brown)
There must be lights burning brighter somewhere
Got to be birds flying higher, in a sky more blue
If I can dream of a better land
Where all my brothers walk hand in hand
Tell me why, oh why, oh why can't my dream come true?
Oh why?

There must be peace and understanding sometime
Strong winds of promise that will blow away
All the doubt and fear
If I can dream of a warmer sun
Where hope keeps shining on everyone
Tell me why, oh why, oh why won't that sun appear?

Were lost in a cloud
With too much rain
Were trapped in a world
That's troubled with pain
But as long as a man
Has the strength to dream
He can redeem his soul, and fly!

Deep in my heart there's a trembling question
Still I am sure that the answer gonna come somehow
Out there in the dark, there's a beckoning candle, yeah

And while I can think, while I can talk
While I can stand, while I can walk
While I can dream, please let my dream
Come true, ohhhhh, right now
Let it come true right now
Oh yeah!

Send "If I Can Dream" Ringtone to your Cell
If I Can Dream lyrics © IMAGEM U.S. LLC

(I fixed it a little, because they're always off on the lyrics sites. If you can fix it some more, that'd be great. Also, I put question marks, where he asks a question.)

rjm

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:39 pm

http://youtu.be/-dlE6gdB70o

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Joe Car wrote:
phpBB [video]

All the NBC-TV live vocal take footage of "If I Can Dream" from Burbank on Sunday, June 30, 1968 -- excellent!!!

Plus the NBC station ID "tag" and the "Let Yourself Go" outro footage as a bonus, very cool.

That's 14 minutes of Elvis at his very best.