Re: Elvis Lives --> Rolling Stone Reviews The 50s Box (1992)

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:51 am

You are wecome to continue your delusions Doc.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 am

KiwiAlan wrote:You are wecome ...

Tank you.

What are your thoughts on the 1992 review (i.e. topic posted)?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:22 am

"...a box set fit for a king" says it all really. I happen to be one of those who hold the 60's Masters box high also. I actually liked the way they kept it to the studio recordings, the gospel apart, and went for a volume 2 for the soundtracks. It is a different chapter in the story of Elvis. And as I recall that box received many a praise by critics also.That set actually brought out all that had been hidden under the soundtrack surface in a glorious way. From A to Z and back again. Opening with the Elvis Is Back sessions and closing with the Memphis sessions and every stop in between. Pity they didn't keep that pattern for the 70's box also!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:44 am

It doesn't come as a surprise Rolling Stone gave the set a positive review because if it's Elvis from the 50's or him singing blues or gospel it gets praised.

It's a shame Rolling Stone didn't bother reviewing the 70's box set but since it is popular to bash Elvis during that time period it doesn't surprise me.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:22 am

brian wrote:It doesn't come as a surprise Rolling Stone gave the set a positive review because if it's Elvis from the 50's or him singing blues or gospel it gets praised.

It's a shame Rolling Stone didn't bother reviewing the 70's box set but since it is popular to bash Elvis during that time period it doesn't surprise me.

Brian, as I noted, this is unconfirmed. It doesn't surprise me you are not paying attention.

And, before making snide comments about Rolling Stone's criticisms, you should check their fulsome, contemporaneous praise for From Elvis in Memphis (1969), Elvis Country (1971) and Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden (1972). You will have to retract your statement.

At least two I have posted on FECC.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:It doesn't come as a surprise Rolling Stone gave the set a positive review because if it's Elvis from the 50's or him singing blues or gospel it gets praised.

Brian, as I noted, this is unconfirmed. It doesn't surprise me you are not paying attention.

And, before making snide comments about Rolling Stone's criticisms, you should check their fulsome, contemporaneous praise for From Elvis in Memphis (1969), Elvis Country (1971) and Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden (1972). You will have to retract your statement.

At least two I have posted on FECC.

I think you can confirm it

Back when there website had old online reviews of everything they've ever written about they had reviews of the 50's box set and the 60's box set but nothing for the 70's box set.

I took it to mean they didn't review the 70's box set as they don't review every release.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:12 pm

bajo
Opening with the Elvis Is Back sessions and closing with the Memphis sessions and every stop in between. Pity they didn't keep that pattern for the 70's box also!

The June 1970 Nashville sessions would have been a nice start but you can't say the same thing about the 1976 Memphis sessions. That is the reason why I understand and respect Ernst's choice to change the pattern for the 70's boxset.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:32 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:Essential was Euro-specific, released at the end of 1986, the US in 1988. I believe Semon's name is on The Alternate Aloha from 88 as well, IIRC.
The success of the 50's box was what led to the current collector's scheme of Elvis releases, is what I believe Doc was saying.

No the Doc was just plain wring...again.

KiwiAl, typing with a French accent is a crafty way to emphasise your point. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVip ... re=related

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:03 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:We should be very lucky to have guys like Roger and Ernst.
Or would you rather want Joan Deary back? :wink:

Joan Deary gave us the fantastic 'Legendary Performer' albums and the sublime 'Elvis Aron Presley' silver box amongst others. It seems Roger & Ernst learned a thing or two from her.

Andy

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:38 pm

jetblack wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:We should be very lucky to have guys like Roger and Ernst.
Or would you rather want Joan Deary back? :wink:

Joan Deary gave us the fantastic 'Legendary Performer' albums and the sublime 'Elvis Aron Presley' silver box amongst others. It seems Roger & Ernst learned a thing or two from her.

Andy

Well, it was good thinking on her account to make use of alternate takes. She led the way to the sheer bottomless pit.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 am

jetblack wrote:Joan Deary gave us the fantastic 'Legendary Performer' albums and the sublime 'Elvis Aron Presley' silver box amongst others.

Joan was a kind woman, but she also delivered these posthumous disappointments:

He Walks Beside Me
Elvis Sings For Children... And Grownups Too!

Our Memories Of Elvis
Our Memories Of Elvis Volume 2

Greatest Hits Volume One

The Elvis Medley
Memories of Christmas

The number of incredible bootleg releases in this period is the only reason fans didn't give it up.

jetblack wrote:It seems Roger & Ernst learned a thing or two from her.

Yes, Ernst and Roger learned to properly re-evaluate the archives from an educated and broad perspective, recover tapes lost or stolen, and create collections of enduring merit.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:23 am

The concepts of those records were bad, but there were certainly some scattered unreleased gems on them.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Joan was a kind woman, but she also delivered these posthumous disappointments:

He Walks Beside Me
Elvis Sings For Children... And Grownups Too!

Our Memories Of Elvis
Our Memories Of Elvis Volume 2

Greatest Hits Volume One

The Elvis Medley
Memories of Christmas

The number of incredible bootleg releases in this period is the only reason fans didn't give it up.

How true that last statement is.

Your list brings back some memories -- some good, some not so good. I bought all of them upon their release. Back then I would have killed for a label like FTD. Folks who bitch about Ernst now have no idea what it was like to be an Elvis fan 30 years ago. I remember it well.

Times are good.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:19 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:The concepts of those records were bad, but there were certainly some scattered unreleased gems on them.

Yes, that alternate of "Big Boots" on Elvis Sings For Children... And Grownups Too! was a thrill.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:The concepts of those records were bad, but there were certainly some scattered unreleased gems on them.

Yes, that alternate of "Big Boots" on Elvis Sings For Children... And Grownups Too! was a thrill.

True, but the 1969 What'd I Say, the alternate take of If I Can Dream, 72 Vegas The Impossible Dream, the long Merry Christmas Baby, Aloha rehearsal Steamroller Blues, 72 Vegas A Big Hunk O' Love, February 1970 Don't Cry Daddy, Are You Sincere alternate take, those are all pretty great.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

True, but the 1969 What'd I Say, the alternate take of If I Can Dream, 72 Vegas The Impossible Dream, the long Merry Christmas Baby, Aloha rehearsal Steamroller Blues, 72 Vegas A Big Hunk O' Love, February 1970 Don't Cry Daddy, Are You Sincere alternate take, those are all pretty great.

Well, yes and no. Compared to the bootlegs, it was pretty thin on top and 50s material was nonexistent. Plus, "What'd I Say" was edited, and we already had the entire "Aloha" rehearsal. It was like Deary was teasing the fans, who knew there was so much more.

That said, we did get the first true stereo release of "Suspicious Minds," which was nice. And the "This Is Elvis" soundtrack was cool.

Part of my regret stems from a meeting with her. Perceiving Joan's apparent lack of desire in opening the vaults, I carefully prepared a letter where I suggested several RCA projects with mostly known, released material that would be wonderful for the fans (May 63 sessions remixed and compiled as a "1963" LP, a complete 1969 show, MSG June 10, 1972 AS, a collection of all the 1956 masters as a double LP, an album of the best 1966-1968 material). She took the letter graciously, promised to read it and reply. She never did, and none of the ideas came out. At least not until the Ernst/Roger era.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:34 am

Thanks for the post, Doc!!

I will post another review from an old magazine CD Review

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:34 am

Jove wrote:Thanks for the post, Doc!!

I will post another review from an old magazine CD Review

You are welcome!

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:31 am

Great review! Thanks for posting!

Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:43 am

Val wrote:Great review! Thanks for posting!

So glad you enjoyed it, Val!

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: Perceiving Joan's apparent lack of desire in opening the vaults, I carefully prepared a letter where I suggested several RCA projects with mostly known, released material that would be wonderful for the fans (May 63 sessions remixed and compiled as a "1963" LP, a complete 1969 show, MSG June 10, 1972 AS, a collection of all the 1956 masters as a double LP, an album of the best 1966-1968 material).

Weren't the '56 Sessions Vol. 1 & 2 good enough?

Andy

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:58 pm

Not even close.

Those were U.K. releases, they used lousy versions of the 1956 masters, Volume 1 has the guitar player from Bill Haley's Comets on the cover, and Deary had nothing to do with them.

---

That reminds me!

Deary did approve use of rare studio outtakes from 1960-1961.

But not on any U.S. release.

Four really cool "G.I. Blues" alternates graced The EP Collection, the limited 1981 UK release with eleven 7" EPs housed in a white binder, although all had been previously released:

11. Shoppin' Around / Big Boots / Tonight's All Right For Love / Frankfort Special (RCX 1)

And EIGHT more appeared in 1982 on The EP Collection Vol. 2 -- two EPs worth :

10. What's She Really Like / G.I. Blues / Doin' the Best I Can / Pocketful of Rainbows (RCX 2)
11. His Latest Flame / Good Luck Charm / Judy / Little Sister (RCX 3)

Oh, the pain. It was after these sets I realized Joan did not care about us.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Hey Doc,

those were partly released on the german LP Rare Elvis, Vol. 3, right? I remember hearing them first in 1988 when I bought Volume 2 and 3. It was kinda strange to listen to an Elvis Presley-Recording Session. Actually the first thing I heard was "Tonight's All Right For Love" (appears on Rare Elvis Vol. 2) in a radio broadcast in 1987. Somehow it was kinda cool to hear Elvis speak! :) ("We should've never broke for lunch"...)

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Another fantastic release from Joan Deary:

Elvis: A Golden Celebration (50th anniversary box set)

Andy

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:58 pm

That was mostly Gregg Geller, wasn't it? Deary just produced the home recordings sections.