Dave Hebler --> The Man Behind Presley! (April 1976)

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:33 am

Karate expert and instructor Dave Hebler met Elvis in September 1972, and became a bodyguard for him soon after.

Along with Red and Sonny West he was "let go" in July 1976 by Vernon Presley because of "expenses. Incensed, and concerned about the singer's future, they wrote an explosive, tell-all book called Elvis: What Happened? which was published a month before Presley died in August 1977.

Below is a most intriguing interview with Dave, published in the April 1976 issue of Black Belt magazine, shortly before the bodyguard purge that summer.

Big thanks to FECC member epf for digging this one out!

Enjoy!!

All pages from Black Belt - April 1976

Re: Dave Hebler --> The Man Behind Presley! (April 1976)

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:28 am

Interesting Doc, thanks! (I'm not even gonna try to insult ya)

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:32 am

intelwild wrote:Interesting Doc, thanks! (I'm not even gonna try to insult ya)

No, you can just wait until he insults you :lol:

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:53 am

That was a worthwhile find. Thanks.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:57 am

Interesting, thanks.
He changed his mind pretty soon regards nopt talking about the `boss'

Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:05 am

Nice article, thanks. Too bad Hebler changed his attitude so quickly after that interview.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:28 am

patricia66 wrote:Nice article, thanks. Too bad Hebler changed his attitude so quickly after that interview.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to reply with something like this :roll: :lol:

Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Given the time-frame of how and when things happened, this is most certainly a peculiar interview. It makes me wonder if Elvis was subscribed to this magazine.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:45 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:
patricia66 wrote:Nice article, thanks. Too bad Hebler changed his attitude so quickly after that interview.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to reply with something like this :roll: :lol:

Dave was treated poorly when he was dismissed, but he didn't have the history with Elvis that Red and Sonny did. The term "human resources" wasn't in vogue at that time, but I imagine in today's world Dave could've sued, and Elvis might have initially had him sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:02 pm

elvisjock wrote:
thefunkyangel wrote:

Dave was treated poorly when he was dismissed, but he didn't have the history with Elvis that Red and Sonny did. The term "human resources" wasn't in vogue at that time, but I imagine in today's world Dave could've sued, and Elvis might have initially had him sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Good point Jock. Did the members of the MM and those who were bodyguards actually get a contract? How were things arranged with those who worked for Elvis directly? I always had the impression that agreements were made with mutual consent, most of the times without the red tape that a normal employee/employer relationship would require. I don't think either party followed union rules.
Last edited by epf on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:06 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:

And I would have wondered if there ever was a post by you with any substance. I will not wait for it :smt001 .

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:49 pm

epf wrote:Given the time-frame of how and when things happened, this is most certainly a peculiar interview. It makes me wonder if Elvis was subscribed to this magazine.

I would say yes, absolutely. And the interview would have made him smile.

Looking closely at the content of the interview, it seems like it was conducted at the Las Vegas Hilton in December 1975.

Can anyone confirm the "eye gashing" by an overzealous fan on "our last tour"? This would mean during the July 1975 tour. Dave claimed Elvis needed a half-dozen stitches above one of his eyes.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:25 am

Interesting article, Doc. Thank you for posting it. I was wondering exactly the same thing about the incident needing stitches above his eye. Never heard it mentioned before. I'm sure there would have been blood flowing and a need to have it dressed or leave the stage. Any further info would be interesting.

Phil

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:36 am

DIdn't some lady jump up on stage and knock the microphone into Elvis' mouth in March of 76 in St Louis? I'm thinking maybe this was what he was talking about.....

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:Given the time-frame of how and when things happened, this is most certainly a peculiar interview. It makes me wonder if Elvis was subscribed to this magazine.

I would say yes, absolutely. And the interview would have made him smile.

Thanks doc for the answer. The other day i mailed Graceland with this question in order to find out more about this and this is the reply i got:

The Archives of Graceland wrote:Sorry, we haven't found copies in his personal library. We don't have all of our documents cataloged yet, but we've not come across a subscription.
However, that doesn't mean he wasn't aware of the publication or never read it.

Best Regards,
Archives Staff

So, the odds are that he was not subscribed to 'Black Belt'.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks for posting Doc.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:37 pm

epf wrote:So, the odds are that he was not subscribed to 'Black Belt'.

The folks at the Graceland Archives are not the most reliable sources.

That said, if Hebler had a major interview in a karate magazine, it seems very likely Elvis saw it. Especially since it was so complimentary towards "the boss."

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:So, the odds are that he was not subscribed to 'Black Belt'.

The folks at the Graceland Archives are not the most reliable sources.

That said, if Hebler had a major interview in a karate magazine, it seems very likely Elvis saw it. Especially since it was so complimentary towards "the boss."

I agree, i would have thought he at least read the magazine, subscribed or not.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 am

JEFF d wrote:DIdn't some lady jump up on stage and knock the microphone into Elvis' mouth in March of 76 in St Louis? I'm thinking maybe this was what he was talking about.....

JEFF d
EP fan

I think you're right about that..

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:43 am

Very interesting read, thx for posting.
::rocks

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:54 am

KempoDick wrote:Very interesting read, thx for posting.
::rocks

Thanks!!

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Remember me on a discussion here on the board about Elvis Karate skills.Reason was the release of the gladiator DVD. A lot of people doubt Elvis could do real good Karate.
In this interview Dave Hebler stated:

Now, before you know it, he's fooling around, demonstrating techniques and using me as a dummy. Well, he made a mistake and whacked the hell out of me and I guess he liked it.

There is no more to say about his skills.... :mrgreen:

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Neverending wrote:There is no more to say about his skills.... :mrgreen:

Except that you forgot to highlight a small part.

Well, he made a mistake and whacked the hell out of me and I guess he liked it.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Elvis made mistakes? :shock:

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:11 am

The Welz wrote:Elvis made mistakes? :shock:

Thats because he wasn't a Doctor :?