Re: Billy Graham Tried --> Interview with "Change" Director

Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:49 am

Which Elvis Encyclopedia has the picture?

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:21 am

You done good,Doc.thanks!!

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 am

DOC........Thanks for that ,a very interesting post

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:24 am

Isn't this the guy that also produced that terrible television-movie "Elvis and the Colonel: The Untold Story" from the early 90s? Despite some stiff competition, that's without a doubt the worst movie about Elvis.... a real stinker.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:26 am

A bittersweet read. Based on the sheer volume of work and the good things that came out of that decade it is hard to call the sixties a lost decade, yet that is the feeling that i get: it could and should have been so much more.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Rock Legend wrote:Isn't this the guy that also produced that terrible television-movie "Elvis and the Colonel: The Untold Story" from the early 90s? Despite some stiff competition, that's without a doubt the worst movie about Elvis.... a real stinker.

There are far worse entries, such as "Elvis and the Beauty Queen."

But no director bats 1.000, and your observation has little to do with this topic in any case.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Sure, but I'm just surprised that someone whose comments about Elvis are so insightful could produce such a stinker of a film. Yes, I have seen that “beauty queen” movie too, but in my opinion “Elvis & The Colonel” is just as poor.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Graham was the director of that Elvis doco, so there is an obvious connection to this topic.
You may be interested in this quote from IMDB:
"User Reviews:The worst of all Elvis documentaries See more (2 total) »"

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Here's a clip from Billy Graham's "Elvis and the Colonel: The Untold Story" (1993):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRbG2ulwaM

(Dig the belt that Rob Youngblood wears at the end of this clip... now THAT'S a Santa Claus belt!)

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Interesting interview. Thanks!

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Rock Legend wrote:Here's a clip from Billy Graham's "Elvis and the Colonel: The Untold Story" (1993):

(Dig the belt that Rob Youngblood wears at the end of this clip... now THAT'S a Santa Claus belt!)

That is an absolutely hysterical sequence. Youngblood is one unattractive dude. And yes, the belt is astonishing.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:13 pm

At the end of that clip, I'm imagining crickets, like after Daffy Duck does his dance routine.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:31 pm

midnightx wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:Here's a clip from Billy Graham's "Elvis and the Colonel: The Untold Story" (1993):

That is an absolutely hysterical sequence. Youngblood is one unattractive dude. And yes, the belt is astonishing.

Youngblood is not unattractive. He just looks odd doing Elvis.

Used to enjoy him and Ted Shackelford in Gerry Anderson's short-lived "Space Precinct":

'Course, I enjoyed his character's fancy piece, played by the gorgeous Simone Bendix, rather more:

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:33 pm

Rock Legend wrote:Sure, but I'm just surprised that someone whose comments about Elvis are so insightful could produce such a stinker of a film.

It's less surprising than an artist who releases a single like "Mystery Train" in 1955 and produces a 45 of "Life" in 1971.

The former is a game-breaker, a 20th century masterpiece, the latter a turgid piece of garbage.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:Sure, but I'm just surprised that someone whose comments about Elvis are so insightful could produce such a stinker of a film.

It's less surprising than an artist who releases a single like "Mystery Train" in 1955 and produces a 45 of "Life" in 1971.

The former is a game-breaker, a 20th century masterpiece, the latter a turgid piece of garbage.

Oh, well. At least this was a good thread for a whole page.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm

wonderful interview. As always, thanks Doc!

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Johnny 99 wrote:wonderful interview. As always, thanks Doc!

Thanks very much!

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:14 am

Rock Legend wrote:Sure, but I'm just surprised that someone whose comments about Elvis are so insightful could produce such a stinker of a film. Yes, I have seen that “beauty queen” movie too, but in my opinion “Elvis & The Colonel” is just as poor.

Graham has made a career out of directing movies that no one has ever heard of or wish they hadn't.

I think Change of Habit might be the most high profile and best film he has ever directed.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks Doc!

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:20 am

John, can I just remind you of how on my posting of

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52793&start=0

you quickly jumped on me with

It might be nice to include where you lifted this transcription from:

when I HAD infact already done so & you went further to add a link where you THOUGHT I had lifted it from. So can I, in a friendly manner, suggest that perhaps you should have done the same here?? I'm not one for arguments, that's why I said nothing at the time on the post but you should practice what you preach, yes?

Right, niggle aside, a fascinating read, thanks for bringing it to our attention on this site. Elvis comes across great, the Colonel not so & the interviewee very genuine tho aside from the 68 special, in my professional opinion as a barber, he wasn't greasing his hair at that time & I find the tangent about that a little odd but nonetheless a great read, thanks.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:37 am

Thanks for the article, Doc.

I love reading insider memories: it reminds me a little of Billy Goldenberg's wonderful story of playing Moonlight Sonata with Elvis at the piano in 1968.

That's the real Elvis, right there.
Last edited by George Smith on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:Isn't this the guy that also produced that terrible television-movie "Elvis and the Colonel: The Untold Story" from the early 90s? Despite some stiff competition, that's without a doubt the worst movie about Elvis.... a real stinker.

There are far worse entries, such as "Elvis and the Beauty Queen."

But no director bats 1.000, and your observation has little to do with this topic in any case.

I must disagree there, "Elvis And The Beauty Queen" is a masterpiece compared to "Elvis And The Colonel" it's the absolute worst I've ever seen !!!

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:37 am

mrbthebarber wrote:John, can I just remind you of how on my posting of

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52793

you quickly jumped on me with

when I HAD infact already done so & you went further to add a link where you THOUGHT I had lifted it from. So can I, in a friendly manner, suggest that perhaps you should have done the same here??

Um, I did.

The Elvis World Japan direct page link is contained at the very top of my post:

William A. Graham Interview
http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~presley/elnews237.htm

As for the post you reference, this is how I "jumped all over you":

Scotty Moore - Old Articles
http://www.scottymoore.net/articles.html

The site owner, JamesVRoy, is a member of FECC, too.

I like James' site very much, and I was sticking up for him. What a jerk I am.

And you fail to note my apology, which puts my initial reaction in greater context:

No offense intended. There's been a rash of pages copied without attribution lately.

This is the direct URL for your posting:

ARCHIVES 1955
http://www.memphispressscimitar.com/ARCHIVES_1955.html

Thanks.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:39 am

George Smith wrote:Thanks for the article, Doc.

I love reading insider memories: it reminds me a little of Billy Goldenberg's wonderful story of playing Moonlight Sonata with Elvis at the piano in 1968.

That's the real Elvis, right there.

Very nice point, and thanks for the kind words.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: It's less surprising than an artist who releases a single like "Mystery Train" in 1955 and produces a 45 of "Life" in 1971.

I don't think that comparison is valid. Elvis was a great artist who lost his way sometimes, while Graham is a Hollywood hack who has produced very little of any merit. "Just mediocre sh*t, man".