Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 am

Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:I personally have nothing against people who say they'd rather would have gone to an Eagles concert than to an Elvis concert, hey, tastes differ, it's just that I wouldn't call those people hard core Elvis fans, as I'm sure a hard-core Elvis fan would rather have gone see an Elvis show even if Elvis would have been carted onto the stage in a wheelchair.

That is where you are mistaken - I'm as hardcore as an Elvis fan as they come, but I also love a lot of music and have high standards for all the acts I love. There are acts that I am very fond of that were simply playing better shows in '77 - and I would not have wanted to have missed those shows. Elvis in '77 would have been a spectacle, no doubt, but if I have the choice, as much as I love Elvis, I'm going to the better show. For some reason, that really irks and baffles people....

It doesn't irk me but I have to be honest, it does baffle me. I would have always chosen Elvis over any other concert. But people differ, even Elvis fans, just out of curiosity, till what period would you have always preferred going to see Elvis rather than another singer/band? Presuming there was that period.

Cheers,
Simon

It somewhat baffles me that some here would have bypassed seeing another legacy act in its prime just to get a glimpse of Omaha '77 in person.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, 1969 is a year I would have chosen to see Elvis over any other act. The same goes for 1968 and 1970 -- and there were some other acts kicking some serious a$$ in concert during that era.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:21 am

Some fans including moi were happy to just be able to SEE and BE under the same roof with the man. If he gave a good performance that would be a great plus. A little like the deadheads wanted to see Garcia in his later years even if he sang a little above a croak.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 am

midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:I personally have nothing against people who say they'd rather would have gone to an Eagles concert than to an Elvis concert, hey, tastes differ, it's just that I wouldn't call those people hard core Elvis fans, as I'm sure a hard-core Elvis fan would rather have gone see an Elvis show even if Elvis would have been carted onto the stage in a wheelchair.

That is where you are mistaken - I'm as hardcore as an Elvis fan as they come, but I also love a lot of music and have high standards for all the acts I love. There are acts that I am very fond of that were simply playing better shows in '77 - and I would not have wanted to have missed those shows. Elvis in '77 would have been a spectacle, no doubt, but if I have the choice, as much as I love Elvis, I'm going to the better show. For some reason, that really irks and baffles people....

It doesn't irk me but I have to be honest, it does baffle me. I would have always chosen Elvis over any other concert. But people differ, even Elvis fans, just out of curiosity, till what period would you have always preferred going to see Elvis rather than another singer/band? Presuming there was that period.

Cheers,
Simon

It somewhat baffles me that some here would have bypassed seeing another legacy act in its prime just to get a glimpse of Omaha '77 in person.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, 1969 is a year I would have chosen to see Elvis over any other act. The same goes for 1968 and 1970 -- and there were some other acts kicking some serious a$$ in concert during that era.

Yeah, but what about Indianpolis 77, purely out of historic reasons, looking back.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:32 am

midnightx wrote:It somewhat baffles me that some here would have bypassed seeing another legacy act in its prime just to get a glimpse of Omaha '77 in person.

And it baffles me that this baffles you. Perhaps it's something a casual fan just can't understand.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:47 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Cheers,
Simon

Yeah, but what about Indianpolis 77, purely out of historic reasons, looking back.

A seat in the first ten rows center, yeah, I'll sit through that historical performance.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:44 am

midnightx wrote:

i have to agree with midnightx elvis 76/77 would have been a let down at this point for me,there were so many artists & bands performing at the top of there game would have been so much more appealing at this time.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:41 am

I think we've sidetracked away from Doc's original posting and his attempt to get us on course, Elvis was still a big drawcard in 1977 and this is something that tends to be overlooked.
Personally, if i could see one artist in the world at any time, including his final shows, I would chose Elvis. Maybe I would have been a bit disappointed if I turned up on 19-6-77, but somehow I think some of the deficiences of his performance and health may have been overlooked by my pure excitement.
I still find the crowd reaction during his scarf throwing and even his `movement' songs quite amazing when Elvis clearly wasn't in his slim and sexy shape of a few years earlier.
Have a look at footage from Feb'77 when he stomps across the stage at the end of one version of PSA. The crowd is loving it. Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.
He still had charisma no matter what.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 pm

rickeap wrote: Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

You mean the angry looking guy in the Omaha audience during the closing theme?
I really wonder what this guy was thinking... he observes Elvis and looks as if he doesn't trust the whole thing in front of him..

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:30 pm

that sounds like the guy!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Robert wrote:
rickeap wrote: Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

You mean the angry looking guy in the Omaha audience during the closing theme?
I really wonder what this guy was thinking... he observes Elvis and looks as if he doesn't trust the whole thing in front of him..

There were a couple of miserable sods in TTWII as well!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:36 pm

For the most part, this has been an excellent thread. Well done folks! ::rocks

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:44 pm

I think it would all depend on whether you had seen Elvis a few times before.If 1977 was
my first chance I would walk over hot coals to see him.I would probably even like the
Amen and JD dive bomb routine as it is mainly the many many soundboards that have
made this sound lame.However if I had seen Elvis many times since 69 it would be a different matter as the signs of decline both in appearance and the concerts themselves
would be obvious and perhaps too hard to bear.
As I never had the opportunity to see the King though if it was 1977 and I had the chance
I would bite the Colonels hand off for a ticket

norrie

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Of course, we'd all rather see Elvis in 1969 or something over 1977. But I'd still give anything to this day to see Elvis in 1977 over any other musical act from any period. And I'm quite a broad musical fan, but Elvis means more to me than just music. I guess a lot of other people feel the same. I'm not going to the concert to simply listen to music either, if I was I'd sit at home and listen to some records where I can chose exactly what song to listen to and save my money. Going to see Elvis in 1977 I can imagine would have been a thrill still like no other. You're seeing, in my eyes, the greatest legend of the 20th Century.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Hindsight is wonderful.

A big Elvis fan choosing (at the time) to see someone over Elvis seems difficult to believe.

There was always hope (even after my 28th concert) that Elvis would do something different, change things up (himself included). Elvis could do anything on that stage!

Of course, again, with hindsight and multiple soundboards, they all sound the same. But the experience (especially my 28th show in Ann Arbor) was amazing. Sure, there were a few disappointing shows in 1976, but if there were any alternatives, even in hindsight, I wouldn't have chosen them. I cherish every one of the 29 shows I saw -- I'm just sad I couldn't attend the 30th and 31st shows I would have otherwise been soon heading to.

Nothing has captured the sound (and feel) of Elvis I heard in those buildings over the years.

And to think, it was 35 years ago today that I stood up from my seat in Shreveport, and joined a sea of females hoping for a handshake (a scarf never entered my mind). And a firm, solid, perspiring handshake from Elvis was something I'll never forget.

And for midnightx, you COULD have seen other artists that you rate higher than Elvis in 1977 because unlike Elvis, their shows were not sold out.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:41 pm

rickeap wrote:Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

Yes, but there were also plenty of shots of the audience where loads of people are sitting in their chairs with blank stares. It isn't as if the crowd in Omaha was holding up lighters, swaying to the music. Clearly the vast majority of people enjoyed seeing Elvis (I personally know someone whose father loved the Omaha performance he attended), but to act as if just being in the same building was enough to overlook any deficiencies in the show is misguided.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:45 pm

midnightx wrote:
rickeap wrote:Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

Yes, but there were also plenty of shots of the audience where loads of people are sitting in their chairs with blank stares. It isn't as if the crowd in Omaha was holding up lighters, swaying to the music. Clearly the vast majority of people enjoyed seeing Elvis (I personally know someone whose father loved the Omaha performance he attended), but to act as if just being in the same building was enough to overlook any deficiencies in the show is misguided.

The same could be said for the artists you list as ones you would choose. It is all subjective.
If the groups you list were playing live in my backyard, I would be inside watching "Elvis in concert" on DVD.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Really? I've never heard a Lynyrd Skynyrd apologist claim that being in the same building with Ronnie Van Zant was enough to overlook any deficiencies with the concert.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:09 pm

midnightx wrote:

I do recall one shot, where Elvis is gyrating or moving or doing something during one song, i can't remember it exactly, but it's a side on shot and in the back ground you can see two people just crack up laughing, putting her head in her lap, obviously thinking Elvis is a joke. The crowd in general in EIC is quite embarassing, it makes the whole thing a lot worse, everybody is just sitting there, all a bit odd looking people, with grannies clapping along. etc. In contrast with the crowds you see in EOT, which althought just as diverse, you can actually see an atmosphere, a general excitement. The crowd in EIC look bored as hell.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

hollandgroupc2008, your objective, honest analysis is appreciated.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:23 pm

ekenee wrote:Yes, I was being fascicous. (spelling)

Well, put your 'fasc' away & stand in the corner !

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:53 pm

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I do recall one shot, where Elvis is gyrating or moving or doing something during one song, i can't remember it exactly, but it's a side on shot and in the back ground you can see two people just crack up laughing, putting her head in her lap, obviously thinking Elvis is a joke. The crowd in general in EIC is quite embarassing, it makes the whole thing a lot worse, everybody is just sitting there, all a bit odd looking people, with grannies clapping along. etc. In contrast with the crowds you see in EOT, which althought just as diverse, you can actually see an atmosphere, a general excitement. The crowd in EIC look bored as hell.

The crowd shots in EIC were edited in (poorly) at random. They don't necessarily sync with what we see Elvis doing on screen at that moment.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:59 pm

elvisjock wrote:The crowd shots in EIC were edited in (poorly) at random.
They don't necessarily sync with what we see Elvis doing on screen at that moment.

How true !

When he says "Are You Lonesome Tonight - I am & I was" there follows either enthusiastic applause, or a few seconds of embarrassed silence.

It depends on which version you are watching & how it was edited !

But it alters things dramatically !

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm

midnightx wrote:
3577 wrote:Hopeless. Again you come up with your personal choice. Not important. It's about the majority which choose/would have chosen to attend a Elvis concert.

We all know after 1973 Elvis isn't that important for you. My Boy, If You Love Me Let Me Know, jumpsuits, etc.. (and how tiring) For others, to see a living legend perform in the flesh above your beloved (personal) Eagles or Lynyrd Skynyrd or whoever.

I never said anything who i would choose back then. No need. This is not about personal favourites.

Oh, but it is about personal choice. Your position is that "the majority" would personally choose to see Elvis in a substandard state over other premier acts arguably in their prime. That is a personal choice -- and also a misguided opinion.

Read Frankie's post, it sums things up nicely.

No thank you, I prefer intelligent comments.

Read Simon1's post. That's what i call informative and intelligent:

Simon1 wrote:All this talk about some Elvis fans in 1976/1977 choosing to go and see another act because Elvis wasn't at his best isn't really true. Let me tell you, in those years fans weren't talking about Elvis gaining weight and or delivering sub-standard shows, it's only now, over 30 years later when we have all the evidence on zillions of soundboards, photos and everything that we know that he wasn't his old self anymore.

You have to also remember that in those days things were a LOT slower, in fan mags like Strictly Elvis in 1976/1977 the majority of photos were of an Elvis from a couple of years back, Aloha photos were still sipping through 4 years later, there weren't almost any up to date photos. Fans didn't Know what state he was in. Not until 'Elvis What Happened' came out fans started to learn that Elvis hadn't always been the clean-cut all American boy, the image that the Colonel had always been very protective of.

Only the fans that were constantly following him saw all the differences that started happening, the majority of fans only saw him whenever he visited their home town or nearby. And then, when you were seated in row 10 or in most cases much much further back, you didn't see his expanded belly or bloated face.

unfortunately I was too young to see him live, I went to Graceland first at 18, in 1983 after saving, scraping and borrowing, missed him by a mere 6 years, but I would have given eye teeth to have seen him just Once! The idea of rather going to see a concert by The Eagles or whomever for that matter just baffles me.

Going to see Elvis in 1977 wasn't like going to just another music act, Elvis by then, had transcended that, people were mesmerized just to be in the same room with him. His charisma was overwhelming and when they heard the first strains of Also Sprach Zarathustra, they were in another world. Even the great Ger Rijff, who by all accounts isn't your typical Seventies fan was Blown away when he saw him in Vegas '76 and then later in Cincinnati and Indianapolis. I remember him telling me that when he saw Elvis come onto that stage in '77 Ger was just flabbergasted by his charisma. (I have copies of his 8mm films he shot and I know exactly what moment he was referring to).

Elvis wasn't a star that was judged by his latest performance, he'd transcended that, he was like going to see Mount Rushmore some fans said. He was the ultimate American idol and, good or bad, he wasn't just judged by his latest performance like I said.

There was like a tradition with Elvis on stage, singing, handing out scarves and well just being Elvis, people didn't expect anymore by that time, the question whether it would have been better for both Elvis and his fans if it would have been better if they'd been more critical is for another discussion.

I personally have nothing against people who say they'd rather would have gone to an Eagles concert than to an Elvis concert, hey, tastes differ, it's just that I wouldn't call those people hard core Elvis fans, as I'm sure a hard-core Elvis fan would rather have gone see an Elvis show even if Elvis would have been carted onto the stage in a wheelchair.

All the same, it's great to me that we are all still discussing the legacy of (in my view) the greatest performer that ever lived. And thank god we can all differ from opinion, that's called freedom.

ekenee wrote:
You are never going to win, bringing up some tired old 70's acts and comparing them
to Elvis on an Elvis forum. You can still say rose colored glasses all you want but that is not what it is.

Spot-on! Bless you, ekenee.

midnightx wrote:It somewhat baffles me that some here would have bypassed seeing another legacy act in its prime just to get a glimpse of Omaha '77 in person.

By saying I'm as hardcore as an Elvis fan as they come, it's hard to believe. Your one of those people who only like the goods. Can't take trouble. Oh, Elvis isn't performing well, and you prefer another act. Hardcore fan? You are definitely NOT. Spoiled, yes.

midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:

A seat in the first ten rows center, yeah, I'll sit through that historical performance.

If i had to choose (as a hardcore Elvis fan) between the last Elvis Presley concert ever, or a randomly concert by The Eagles? Even the most distant seat in the venue will be fine for me.

Enjoy and have fun with your Eagles and Lynyrd Skynyrd collection. I will enjoy the next version of See See Rider. (whenever FTD comes with a new soundboard).

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:27 pm

rickeap wrote:I think we've sidetracked away from Doc's original posting and his attempt to get us on course, Elvis was still a big drawcard in 1977 and this is something that tends to be overlooked.
Personally, if i could see one artist in the world at any time, including his final shows, I would chose Elvis. Maybe I would have been a bit disappointed if I turned up on 19-6-77, but somehow I think some of the deficiences of his performance and health may have been overlooked by my pure excitement.
I still find the crowd reaction during his scarf throwing and even his `movement' songs quite amazing when Elvis clearly wasn't in his slim and sexy shape of a few years earlier.
Have a look at footage from Feb'77 when he stomps across the stage at the end of one version of PSA. The crowd is loving it. Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

Indeed, he had enough to fill arenas around the country!

Imagine, though, a healthy, focused Elvis, touring stadiums around the world -- they would now be legendary cornerstones of an unparalleled career.

Thanks for the keen comments.

Joe Car wrote:For the most part, this has been an excellent thread. Well done folks! ::rocks

You are most welcome, Joe!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:36 pm

midnightx wrote:hollandgroupc2008, your objective, honest analysis is appreciated.

The same can't be said about your topic hijacking, attention seeking posts.