Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:35 am

Simon1 wrote:I personally have nothing against people who say they'd rather would have gone to an Eagles concert than to an Elvis concert, hey, tastes differ, it's just that I wouldn't call those people hard core Elvis fans, as I'm sure a hard-core Elvis fan would rather have gone see an Elvis show even if Elvis would have been carted onto the stage in a wheelchair.

That is where you are mistaken - I'm as hardcore as an Elvis fan as they come, but I also love a lot of music and have high standards for all the acts I love. There are acts that I am very fond of that were simply playing better shows in '77 - and I would not have wanted to have missed those shows. Elvis in '77 would have been a spectacle, no doubt, but if I have the choice, as much as I love Elvis, I'm going to the better show. For some reason, that really irks and baffles people....

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:40 am

Again -- the variety of opinions is refreshing. All this topic was meant to do was show that, despite everything, Elvis remained a credible artist -- at least financially. That he managed to pull this off when he was so unwell is nothing short of a miracle. I only wish he could've taken a break, gotten his health and happiness back, and resumed his career on all fronts with gusto.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:04 am

midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:I personally have nothing against people who say they'd rather would have gone to an Eagles concert than to an Elvis concert, hey, tastes differ, it's just that I wouldn't call those people hard core Elvis fans, as I'm sure a hard-core Elvis fan would rather have gone see an Elvis show even if Elvis would have been carted onto the stage in a wheelchair.

That is where you are mistaken - I'm as hardcore as an Elvis fan as they come, but I also love a lot of music and have high standards for all the acts I love. There are acts that I am very fond of that were simply playing better shows in '77 - and I would not have wanted to have missed those shows. Elvis in '77 would have been a spectacle, no doubt, but if I have the choice, as much as I love Elvis, I'm going to the better show. For some reason, that really irks and baffles people....


It doesn't irk me but I have to be honest, it does baffle me. I would have always chosen Elvis over any other concert. But people differ, even Elvis fans, just out of curiosity, till what period would you have always preferred going to see Elvis rather than another singer/band? Presuming there was that period.

Cheers,
Simon

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: I only wish he could've taken a break, gotten his health and happiness back, and resumed his career on all fronts with gusto.


That would indeed have been the ideal scenario. Alas, things turned out different.

Cheers,
Simon

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 am

Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:I personally have nothing against people who say they'd rather would have gone to an Eagles concert than to an Elvis concert, hey, tastes differ, it's just that I wouldn't call those people hard core Elvis fans, as I'm sure a hard-core Elvis fan would rather have gone see an Elvis show even if Elvis would have been carted onto the stage in a wheelchair.

That is where you are mistaken - I'm as hardcore as an Elvis fan as they come, but I also love a lot of music and have high standards for all the acts I love. There are acts that I am very fond of that were simply playing better shows in '77 - and I would not have wanted to have missed those shows. Elvis in '77 would have been a spectacle, no doubt, but if I have the choice, as much as I love Elvis, I'm going to the better show. For some reason, that really irks and baffles people....


It doesn't irk me but I have to be honest, it does baffle me. I would have always chosen Elvis over any other concert. But people differ, even Elvis fans, just out of curiosity, till what period would you have always preferred going to see Elvis rather than another singer/band? Presuming there was that period.

Cheers,
Simon

It somewhat baffles me that some here would have bypassed seeing another legacy act in its prime just to get a glimpse of Omaha '77 in person.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, 1969 is a year I would have chosen to see Elvis over any other act. The same goes for 1968 and 1970 -- and there were some other acts kicking some serious a$$ in concert during that era.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:21 am

Some fans including moi were happy to just be able to SEE and BE under the same roof with the man. If he gave a good performance that would be a great plus. A little like the deadheads wanted to see Garcia in his later years even if he sang a little above a croak.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 am

midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:I personally have nothing against people who say they'd rather would have gone to an Eagles concert than to an Elvis concert, hey, tastes differ, it's just that I wouldn't call those people hard core Elvis fans, as I'm sure a hard-core Elvis fan would rather have gone see an Elvis show even if Elvis would have been carted onto the stage in a wheelchair.

That is where you are mistaken - I'm as hardcore as an Elvis fan as they come, but I also love a lot of music and have high standards for all the acts I love. There are acts that I am very fond of that were simply playing better shows in '77 - and I would not have wanted to have missed those shows. Elvis in '77 would have been a spectacle, no doubt, but if I have the choice, as much as I love Elvis, I'm going to the better show. For some reason, that really irks and baffles people....


It doesn't irk me but I have to be honest, it does baffle me. I would have always chosen Elvis over any other concert. But people differ, even Elvis fans, just out of curiosity, till what period would you have always preferred going to see Elvis rather than another singer/band? Presuming there was that period.

Cheers,
Simon

It somewhat baffles me that some here would have bypassed seeing another legacy act in its prime just to get a glimpse of Omaha '77 in person.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, 1969 is a year I would have chosen to see Elvis over any other act. The same goes for 1968 and 1970 -- and there were some other acts kicking some serious a$$ in concert during that era.


Yeah, but what about Indianpolis 77, purely out of historic reasons, looking back.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:32 am

midnightx wrote:It somewhat baffles me that some here would have bypassed seeing another legacy act in its prime just to get a glimpse of Omaha '77 in person.

And it baffles me that this baffles you. Perhaps it's something a casual fan just can't understand.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:47 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:I personally have nothing against people who say they'd rather would have gone to an Eagles concert than to an Elvis concert, hey, tastes differ, it's just that I wouldn't call those people hard core Elvis fans, as I'm sure a hard-core Elvis fan would rather have gone see an Elvis show even if Elvis would have been carted onto the stage in a wheelchair.

That is where you are mistaken - I'm as hardcore as an Elvis fan as they come, but I also love a lot of music and have high standards for all the acts I love. There are acts that I am very fond of that were simply playing better shows in '77 - and I would not have wanted to have missed those shows. Elvis in '77 would have been a spectacle, no doubt, but if I have the choice, as much as I love Elvis, I'm going to the better show. For some reason, that really irks and baffles people....


It doesn't irk me but I have to be honest, it does baffle me. I would have always chosen Elvis over any other concert. But people differ, even Elvis fans, just out of curiosity, till what period would you have always preferred going to see Elvis rather than another singer/band? Presuming there was that period.

Cheers,
Simon

It somewhat baffles me that some here would have bypassed seeing another legacy act in its prime just to get a glimpse of Omaha '77 in person.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, 1969 is a year I would have chosen to see Elvis over any other act. The same goes for 1968 and 1970 -- and there were some other acts kicking some serious a$$ in concert during that era.


Yeah, but what about Indianpolis 77, purely out of historic reasons, looking back.

A seat in the first ten rows center, yeah, I'll sit through that historical performance.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:44 am

midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:I personally have nothing against people who say they'd rather would have gone to an Eagles concert than to an Elvis concert, hey, tastes differ, it's just that I wouldn't call those people hard core Elvis fans, as I'm sure a hard-core Elvis fan would rather have gone see an Elvis show even if Elvis would have been carted onto the stage in a wheelchair.

That is where you are mistaken - I'm as hardcore as an Elvis fan as they come, but I also love a lot of music and have high standards for all the acts I love. There are acts that I am very fond of that were simply playing better shows in '77 - and I would not have wanted to have missed those shows. Elvis in '77 would have been a spectacle, no doubt, but if I have the choice, as much as I love Elvis, I'm going to the better show. For some reason, that really irks and baffles people....




i have to agree with midnightx elvis 76/77 would have been a let down at this point for me,there were so many artists & bands performing at the top of there game would have been so much more appealing at this time.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:41 am

I think we've sidetracked away from Doc's original posting and his attempt to get us on course, Elvis was still a big drawcard in 1977 and this is something that tends to be overlooked.
Personally, if i could see one artist in the world at any time, including his final shows, I would chose Elvis. Maybe I would have been a bit disappointed if I turned up on 19-6-77, but somehow I think some of the deficiences of his performance and health may have been overlooked by my pure excitement.
I still find the crowd reaction during his scarf throwing and even his `movement' songs quite amazing when Elvis clearly wasn't in his slim and sexy shape of a few years earlier.
Have a look at footage from Feb'77 when he stomps across the stage at the end of one version of PSA. The crowd is loving it. Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.
He still had charisma no matter what.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 pm

rickeap wrote: Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.
He still had charisma no matter what.


You mean the angry looking guy in the Omaha audience during the closing theme?
I really wonder what this guy was thinking... he observes Elvis and looks as if he doesn't trust the whole thing in front of him..

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:30 pm

that sounds like the guy!

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Robert wrote:
rickeap wrote: Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.
He still had charisma no matter what.


You mean the angry looking guy in the Omaha audience during the closing theme?
I really wonder what this guy was thinking... he observes Elvis and looks as if he doesn't trust the whole thing in front of him..


There were a couple of miserable sods in TTWII as well!

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:36 pm

For the most part, this has been an excellent thread. Well done folks! ::rocks

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:44 pm

I think it would all depend on whether you had seen Elvis a few times before.If 1977 was
my first chance I would walk over hot coals to see him.I would probably even like the
Amen and JD dive bomb routine as it is mainly the many many soundboards that have
made this sound lame.However if I had seen Elvis many times since 69 it would be a different matter as the signs of decline both in appearance and the concerts themselves
would be obvious and perhaps too hard to bear.
As I never had the opportunity to see the King though if it was 1977 and I had the chance
I would bite the Colonels hand off for a ticket

norrie

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Of course, we'd all rather see Elvis in 1969 or something over 1977. But I'd still give anything to this day to see Elvis in 1977 over any other musical act from any period. And I'm quite a broad musical fan, but Elvis means more to me than just music. I guess a lot of other people feel the same. I'm not going to the concert to simply listen to music either, if I was I'd sit at home and listen to some records where I can chose exactly what song to listen to and save my money. Going to see Elvis in 1977 I can imagine would have been a thrill still like no other. You're seeing, in my eyes, the greatest legend of the 20th Century.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Hindsight is wonderful.

A big Elvis fan choosing (at the time) to see someone over Elvis seems difficult to believe.

There was always hope (even after my 28th concert) that Elvis would do something different, change things up (himself included). Elvis could do anything on that stage!

Of course, again, with hindsight and multiple soundboards, they all sound the same. But the experience (especially my 28th show in Ann Arbor) was amazing. Sure, there were a few disappointing shows in 1976, but if there were any alternatives, even in hindsight, I wouldn't have chosen them. I cherish every one of the 29 shows I saw -- I'm just sad I couldn't attend the 30th and 31st shows I would have otherwise been soon heading to.

Nothing has captured the sound (and feel) of Elvis I heard in those buildings over the years.

And to think, it was 35 years ago today that I stood up from my seat in Shreveport, and joined a sea of females hoping for a handshake (a scarf never entered my mind). And a firm, solid, perspiring handshake from Elvis was something I'll never forget.

And for midnightx, you COULD have seen other artists that you rate higher than Elvis in 1977 because unlike Elvis, their shows were not sold out.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:41 pm

rickeap wrote:Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

Yes, but there were also plenty of shots of the audience where loads of people are sitting in their chairs with blank stares. It isn't as if the crowd in Omaha was holding up lighters, swaying to the music. Clearly the vast majority of people enjoyed seeing Elvis (I personally know someone whose father loved the Omaha performance he attended), but to act as if just being in the same building was enough to overlook any deficiencies in the show is misguided.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:45 pm

midnightx wrote:
rickeap wrote:Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

Yes, but there were also plenty of shots of the audience where loads of people are sitting in their chairs with blank stares. It isn't as if the crowd in Omaha was holding up lighters, swaying to the music. Clearly the vast majority of people enjoyed seeing Elvis (I personally know someone whose father loved the Omaha performance he attended), but to act as if just being in the same building was enough to overlook any deficiencies in the show is misguided.


The same could be said for the artists you list as ones you would choose. It is all subjective.
If the groups you list were playing live in my backyard, I would be inside watching "Elvis in concert" on DVD.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Really? I've never heard a Lynyrd Skynyrd apologist claim that being in the same building with Ronnie Van Zant was enough to overlook any deficiencies with the concert.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:09 pm

midnightx wrote:
rickeap wrote:Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

Yes, but there were also plenty of shots of the audience where loads of people are sitting in their chairs with blank stares. It isn't as if the crowd in Omaha was holding up lighters, swaying to the music. Clearly the vast majority of people enjoyed seeing Elvis (I personally know someone whose father loved the Omaha performance he attended), but to act as if just being in the same building was enough to overlook any deficiencies in the show is misguided.


I do recall one shot, where Elvis is gyrating or moving or doing something during one song, i can't remember it exactly, but it's a side on shot and in the back ground you can see two people just crack up laughing, putting her head in her lap, obviously thinking Elvis is a joke. The crowd in general in EIC is quite embarassing, it makes the whole thing a lot worse, everybody is just sitting there, all a bit odd looking people, with grannies clapping along. etc. In contrast with the crowds you see in EOT, which althought just as diverse, you can actually see an atmosphere, a general excitement. The crowd in EIC look bored as hell.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

hollandgroupc2008, your objective, honest analysis is appreciated.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:23 pm

ekenee wrote:Yes, I was being fascicous. (spelling)


Well, put your 'fasc' away & stand in the corner !

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:53 pm

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
rickeap wrote:Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

Yes, but there were also plenty of shots of the audience where loads of people are sitting in their chairs with blank stares. It isn't as if the crowd in Omaha was holding up lighters, swaying to the music. Clearly the vast majority of people enjoyed seeing Elvis (I personally know someone whose father loved the Omaha performance he attended), but to act as if just being in the same building was enough to overlook any deficiencies in the show is misguided.


I do recall one shot, where Elvis is gyrating or moving or doing something during one song, i can't remember it exactly, but it's a side on shot and in the back ground you can see two people just crack up laughing, putting her head in her lap, obviously thinking Elvis is a joke. The crowd in general in EIC is quite embarassing, it makes the whole thing a lot worse, everybody is just sitting there, all a bit odd looking people, with grannies clapping along. etc. In contrast with the crowds you see in EOT, which althought just as diverse, you can actually see an atmosphere, a general excitement. The crowd in EIC look bored as hell.


The crowd shots in EIC were edited in (poorly) at random. They don't necessarily sync with what we see Elvis doing on screen at that moment.