Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:28 pm

jetblack wrote:
midnightx wrote:Suit yourself. Even while Elvis is generally number one for me, in 1977, from the artists on that particular list the Doc posted, I would have chosen to see The Eagles, ELP, and Lynyrd Skynyrd over the King.

Baffling to say the least.

Andy

Not really. Given enough time, the mask eventually falls....

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
intheghetto wrote:Wow look at all the other acts on there! Alot of stuff I grew up with. It's amazing to see Elvis beating out all of the contemporary acts of that time.

Yes, and so many of them were putting on superior shows at that point in time.

And yet, I would still prefer to be at an Elvis show.

In fact, I would pay $10 just to hear Elvis sing "unchainged Melody" at the piano, than to hear a whole show by
any of those other 70's acts.

Suit yourself. Even while Elvis is generally number one for me, in 1977, from the artists on that particular list the Doc posted, I would have chosen to see The Eagles, ELP, and Lynyrd Skynyrd over the King.

Then why don't you go pester the fans on The Eagles, ELP and Lynyrd Skynyrd messageboards? If they'd performed a joint concert on the corner of my street I wouldn't have bothered to open the curtains, It just goes to show you don't 'feel' the importance of Elvis Presley. Even in 1977 he generated excitement in the crowds, it's obvious you have no clue as to what Elvis really meant to people. Have a nice day listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

What does understanding what Elvis meant to people have to do with the fact that the 3 acts I referenced from the list were producing superior live events? While Elvis' band was sleepwalking through another set, Skynyrd was dazzling audiences with its live prowess – sorry but I’ll take Allen Collins, Gary Rossington & Steve Gaines over Burton & Wilkinson circa ’77 and I would have taken Billy Powell over Tony Brown any day of the week. By 1977, ELP was one of the most virtuoso musical line-ups in contemporary music and they were flooring audiences during that period with their stimulating live shows - that would have been a great era to catch that band. And of course, The Eagles were playing stadiums while Elvis was playing arenas in Lincoln Nebraska. I’ll take The Eagles in 1977, hitting all of their vocal cues and notes while Elvis lumbers around the stage handing out scarves during Love Me. We are all Elvis homers on some level – but some of us love not only Elvis, but other acts as well. Elvis was clearly still a box office draw in 1977, but other acts from the period were blowing him off the stage. Take off the rose-colored glasses fellas – there was some great music during that period.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Whenever the Elvis Presley Show came to town in the 1970s, it was a guaranteed sellout. More than that, as soon as Elvis tickets went on sale in a community, people invariably lined up and bought all the available tickets within a few hours. Most of those in line were Elvis fans just happy for the chance to see their idol in a live performance. But also standing in those lines were a different group of people, who were also happy to know Elvis was coming to town—the ticket scalpers. Elvis was the King to them, too. They were guaranteed big profits selling Elvis concert tickets above the box office price.

For example, consider Elvis’s scheduled May 29, 1977, concert at the Baltimore Civic Center. Tickets, scaled with a top of $15 per, went on sale over a month earlier and sold out the same day. The take for the 12,700-seat Civic Center was $179,350, a record for a live performance at the facility. (Frank Sinatra held the previous record at $126,555.)

Immediately after the tickets sold out, they went back on sale, this time illegally. In an April 20, 1977, article, Variety reported that, “The vet singer’s appearance here has generated record illicit prices as scalpers, professional and otherwise, gathered the chutzpah to go public with classified ads in a Sunday newspaper.” Of course, details of such illicit ticket sales are hard to come by, but it is known that one scalper who advertised $15 tickets for “best offer” received offers up to $100 per ducat.

Although there was a strict 10-ticket limit at the box office for Elvis’s Baltimore appearance, the professional scalpers were able to accumulate much more than that. One classified advertiser told a radio reporter that he had 67 Elvis tickets for sale at $40 each, with the price guaranteed to increase as the concert date approached. One newspaper, The News American, refused to accept the scalpers’ ads.

Of course, all the tickets held by scalpers were moved for a healthy profit. Colonel Parker could hardly object, considering he had been known to hold out tickets for Elvis’s concerts and sell them for his personal profit. Certainly, hundreds of those Elvis fans who were still standing in line when the box office put out the “sold out” sign had no qualms about paying multiple times the issue price for tickets in Baltimore that spring in 1977. After all, for many it was a once in a lifetime chance to see Elvis Presley in person. The scalpers could have charged even higher prices and gotten them had they and their customers known that Elvis would die just a few months later.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:05 pm

IIRC, we've seen stubs from Philly, Chicago and Cincy. They were all generated by Ticketron. That might be the reason we don't see more of Elvis' shows on the Box Office gross list. Computerized ticket selling was in its infancy back then, and it may be that Ticketron reported to Billboard, while many others did not.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:44 pm

"The Eagles were playing stadiums while Elvis was playing arenas in Lincoln Nebraska. I’ll take The Eagles in 1977",thats true but the eagles played greensboro in 77 and so did elvis both shows sold out so what . i remember there was alot of attention for elvis in 77 no matter what town , if elvis wanted to play stadiums i'm sure he sell them out also :mrgreen: also in 75 in my city we played host to led zep, the stones , elton john , and elvis , so just because elvis played cities like greensboro, charlotte , jacksonville , every year should not matter, i would bet the eagles or skinner "which NEVER sold out in greensboro" could keep up that pace ::rocks

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:51 pm

ric of greensboro wrote:"The Eagles were playing stadiums while Elvis was playing arenas in Lincoln Nebraska. I’ll take The Eagles in 1977",thats true but the eagles played greensboro in 77 and so did elvis both shows sold out so what . i remember there was alot of attention for elvis in 77 no matter what town , if elvis wanted to play stadiums i'm sure he sell them out also :mrgreen: also in 75 in my city we played host to led zep, the stones , elton john , and elvis , so just because elvis played cities like greensboro, charlotte , jacksonville , every year should not matter, i would bet the eagles or skinner "which NEVER sold out in greensboro" could keep up that pace ::rocks

I think we have to keep in mind that our guy was a few months from being dead, while these other great acts, (which they were) were in their prime.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:52 pm

midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
intheghetto wrote:Wow look at all the other acts on there! Alot of stuff I grew up with. It's amazing to see Elvis beating out all of the contemporary acts of that time.

In fact, I would pay $10 just to hear Elvis sing "unchainged Melody" at the piano, than to hear a whole show by

Suit yourself. Even while Elvis is generally number one for me, in 1977, from the artists on that particular list the Doc posted, I would have chosen to see The Eagles, ELP, and Lynyrd Skynyrd over the King.

Then why don't you go pester the fans on The Eagles, ELP and Lynyrd Skynyrd messageboards? If they'd performed a joint concert on the corner of my street I wouldn't have bothered to open the curtains, It just goes to show you don't 'feel' the importance of Elvis Presley. Even in 1977 he generated excitement in the crowds, it's obvious you have no clue as to what Elvis really meant to people. Have a nice day listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

What does understanding what Elvis meant to people have to do with the fact that the 3 acts I referenced from the list were producing superior live events? While Elvis' band was sleepwalking through another set, Skynyrd was dazzling audiences with its live prowess – sorry but I’ll take Allen Collins, Gary Rossington & Steve Gaines over Burton & Wilkinson circa ’77 and I would have taken Billy Powell over Tony Brown any day of the week. By 1977, ELP was one of the most virtuoso musical line-ups in contemporary music and they were flooring audiences during that period with their stimulating live shows - that would have been a great era to catch that band. And of course, The Eagles were playing stadiums while Elvis was playing arenas in Lincoln Nebraska. I’ll take The Eagles in 1977, hitting all of their vocal cues and notes while Elvis lumbers around the stage handing out scarves during Love Me. We are all Elvis homers on some level – but some of us love not only Elvis, but other acts as well. Elvis was clearly still a box office draw in 1977, but other acts from the period were blowing him off the stage. Take off the rose-colored glasses fellas – there was some great music during that period.

midnightx, I know you don't need my defense..., but I just want to say - based on my reading of a lot of your posts - that Simon's allegation that "It just goes to show you don't 'feel' the importance of Elvis Presley. ...., it's obvious you have no clue as to what Elvis really meant to people." is just totally OFF MARK! Hardly anything could be further from the truth, I'd say.

As I am too young to ever have seen Elvis live (of course, if I had grown up in the US, I might have been able to, but...), if I somehow could have travelled back in time for a show, I sure would have chosen an Elvis show! (or would I actually? Those early Bruce shows came to mind...). However, I think I understand what you are trying to say, midnightx: There were many prime acts that gave performances of higher quality.
If I were given ONE trip by a time travel device, I would pick an Elvis show.
Whereas I would think like "oh well, the terror of choices..." thinking about missing Bruce on the legendary Darkness On The Edge Of Town tour in 1978...! Good it is only a day dreaming hypothetical choice.

When I read Elvis setlists from this late era, I almost get depressed from realizing how FEW SONGS he actuall performed!! Ok, the main show lasted about one hour, but he sang only some 18-odd songs of 2-3 minutes each as in this Philly show:

C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman / Amen
Love Me
My Way
Jailhouse Rock
You Gave Me A Mountain
O Sole Mio / It's Now Or Never
Little Sister
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
And I Love You So
Polk Salad Annie

Early Morning Rain (John Wilkinson)
What I'd Say? (James Burton)
Johnny B. Goode (James Burton)

School Day (Joe Guercio Orchestra)
Hurt

Hound Dog
Can't Help Falling In Love

I find it hard to believe the fans wasn't one bit disappointed by this. Sure, they came to see The King, but the small number of songs is embarrasing.
Last edited by kajsa89 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:57 pm

kajsa89 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

midnightx, I know you don't need my defense..., but I just want to say - based on my reading of a lot of your posts - that Simon's allegation that "It just goes to show you don't 'feel' the importance of Elvis Presley. ...., it's obvious you have no clue as to what Elvis really meant to people." is just totally OFF MARK! Hardly anything could be further from the truth, I'd say.

As I am to young to ever have seen Elvis live (of course, if I had grown up in the US, I might have been able to, but...), if I somehow could have travelled back in time for a show, I sure would have chosen an Elvis show! However, I think I understand what you are trying to say, midnightx: There were many prime acts that gave performances of higher quality.
Whereas I would think like "oh well, the terror of choices..." thinking about missing Bruce on the legendary Darkness On The Edge Of Town tour in 1978...! Good it is only a day dreaming hypothetical choice.

When I read Elvis setlists from this late era, I almost get depressed from realizing how FEW SONGS he actuall performed!! Ok, the main show lasted about one hour, but he sang only some 18-odd songs of 2-3 minutes each as in this Philly show:

C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman / Amen
Love Me
My Way
Jailhouse Rock
You Gave Me A Mountain
Little Sister
And I Love You So
Polk Salad Annie

Hurt

Hound Dog

I find it hard to believe the fans wasn't one bit disappointed by this. Sure, they came to see The King, but the small number of songs is embarrasing.

At this point, Elvis shouldn't have been on stage, period! It's a testament to his love of entertaining and his need to make money, that he was up there at all. He needed major time off to get healthy, get clean and refocus, take like two-three years off from the madness that had become his life.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:21 am

Joe Car wrote:At this point, Elvis shouldn't have been on stage, period! It's a testament to his love of entertaining and his need to make money, that he was up there at all. He needed major time off to get healthy, get clean and refocus, take like two-three years off from the madness that had become his life.

1. Would he have been able to afford it, thinking short term cash flow?
2. Drug atticts really, seriously has got to WANT CHANGE for rehab to be of (much) use. Did Elvis realise the need for rehab/getting clean and did he want it? In late 1976, he turned down a plan put forward by Priscilla to undergo rehab... Was he ready by mid-77? We will likely never know.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:23 am

Joe Car wrote:
kajsa89 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

As I am to young to ever have seen Elvis live (of course, if I had grown up in the US, I might have been able to, but...), if I somehow could have travelled back in time for a show, I sure would have chosen an Elvis show! However, I think I understand what you are trying to say, midnightx: There were many prime acts that gave performances of higher quality.

C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman / Amen
Love Me
My Way
Jailhouse Rock
You Gave Me A Mountain
Little Sister
And I Love You So
Polk Salad Annie

Hurt

Hound Dog

At this point, Elvis shouldn't have been on stage, period! It's a testament to his love of entertaining and his need to make money, that he was up there at all. He needed major time off to get healthy, get clean and refocus, take like two-three years off from the madness that had become his life.

He would still sit at home and abuse pills.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:55 am

midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Surely other acts were better.Only, it seems you dont realize were talking Elvis Presley here. Medicated, overweight, etc.. People wanted to see the biggest entertainer of all time. No matter how bad his condition, still he had more charisma than all the above mentioned bands. That's a essential factor. His presence. Their vocal cues? Another issue you dont understand, his voice was in good condition, 1977.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:19 am

Going to an Elvis concert was not entirely about the music. There was something very unique about being in the same room with that man. I have been to maybe a hundred concerts in my time and I have never even came close to experiencing the magic that was created in the BJCC that December night in 1976. From the time he walked on stage to the time I walked out of the arena it was an almost supernatural moment, there is no other way to describe it. Hell I hate even typing it to be honest with you as I hate to think of myself as some kind of crazy fanatic but it was what it was. I remember sitting there with my family after the show for almost an hour as did most of the rest of the crowd almost dazed, stunned, wanting that hour and half back, wishing someway that he would walk back out onto that stage. The feeling of despair that swept over you when the announcement came over the speakers that "Elvis has left the building". All of the venues I have been to I cant ever remember a crowd staying seated so long after the show had ended and then mulling about the lobby and foyers talking with one another about what just happened.

So it is a fact that there were other acts at the time that were in better physical shape than Elvis and put on longer shows with a lot more energy but no one can touch what would take place at an Elvis concert. That is why he was still number one in spite of his condition.

Tony~

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:21 am

norrie wrote:Didn't realise Elvis concert tickets were quite expensive compared to others of the time.

norrie

Me neither!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:27 am

midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Totally understandable. Good, balanced post.

Why all the bashing, chaps? Elvis in 1977 wasn't putting on a good show, the other bands mentioned were. Had I been around at the time and been given a choice between the Eagles or Elvis, then I'd have seen the former every time.

If I had a time machine here, though, the answer would be different.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:29 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:Going to an Elvis concert was not entirely about the music. There was something very unique about being in the same room with that man. I have been to maybe a hundred concerts in my time and I have never even came close to experiencing the magic that was created in the BJCC that December night in 1976. From the time he walked on stage to the time I walked out of the arena it was an almost supernatural moment, there is no other way to describe it. Hell I hate even typing it to be honest with you as I hate to think of myself as some kind of crazy fanatic but it was what it was. I remember sitting there with my family after the show for almost an hour as did most of the rest of the crowd almost dazed, stunned, wanting that hour and half back, wishing someway that he would walk back out onto that stage. The feeling of despair that swept over you when the announcement came over the speakers that "Elvis has left the building". All of the venues I have been to I cant ever remember a crowd staying seated so long after the show had ended and then mulling about the lobby and foyers talking with one another about what just happened.

So it is a fact that there were other acts at the time that were in better physical shape than Elvis and put on longer shows with a lot more energy but no one can touch what would take place at an Elvis concert. That is why he was still number one in spite of his condition.

Tony~

Thank you very much for sharing this.
I pretty much get this feeling when I watch him on DVD, not least bootleg DVDs from shows. The closest I have been to this at concerts is the feeling of being ca ONE METER from Bruce S. in the pit when he comes walking... Then I don't really act like a sane 45-year old either!!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:50 am

brian wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
kajsa89 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman / Amen
Love Me
My Way
Jailhouse Rock
You Gave Me A Mountain
Little Sister
And I Love You So
Polk Salad Annie

Hurt

Hound Dog

He would still sit at home and abuse pills.

That's where the refocusing and getting clean comes in.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:08 am

Those people that went to EP shows in 1977 did not know what to expect. None of us (that went) were members of this message board!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:18 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:I have been to maybe a hundred concerts in my time and I have never even came close to experiencing the magic that was created in the BJCC that December night in 1976. From the time he walked on stage to the time I walked out of the arena it was an almost supernatural moment, there is no other way to describe it.

I totally agree and couldn't have put it better myself.

It was an experience to say the least and I wish every damn one of you could have witnessed it.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:22 am

I would never turn down a chance to see Elvis,no matter what shape he was in,vocally or physically.
That being said,I understand what midnight x is saying.But,and Im speaking with my heart,not my head,there was no one like Elvis.I cant imagine not going to see him over anyone else.
Still,speaking of the Eagles,they were at a peak in 1977,and musically,were miles ahead of Elvis by that point.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:27 am

Rob wrote:
Blue-Gypsy wrote:I have been to maybe a hundred concerts in my time and I have never even came close to experiencing the magic that was created in the BJCC that December night in 1976. From the time he walked on stage to the time I walked out of the arena it was an almost supernatural moment, there is no other way to describe it.

It was an experience to say the least and I wish every damn one of you could have witnessed it.

Every Elvis fan should have experienced seeing live at least once! I so envy the people that saw his shows.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:32 am

Simon1 wrote:Then why don't you go pester the fans on The Eagles, ELP and Lynyrd Skynyrd messageboards? If they'd performed a joint concert on the corner of my street I wouldn't have bothered to open the curtains, It just goes to show you don't 'feel' the importance of Elvis Presley. Even in 1977 he generated excitement in the crowds, it's obvious you have no clue as to what Elvis really meant to people. Have a nice day listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Simon, no need to get so upset -- it is refreshing to hear other points of view.

The forum would cease to be anything special -- and likely lose its #1 worldwide status -- if it was just another fawning, uncritical Elvis Presley forum. Let's pray that this never happens.

That said, at the time, I would have not been as excited to see Elvis in concert -- but now, knowing how incredible an artist he truly was, there is no way I would have missed seeing him in concert.

Not every kid has a compass when it comes to music, that just the way it is.

Thanks everyone for the kind words on this topic.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:25 am

Rob wrote:

That's how I felt after the July 17 '75 show.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:03 am

londonflash wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Why all the bashing, chaps? Elvis in 1977 wasn't putting on a good show, the other bands mentioned were. Had I been around at the time and been given a choice between the Eagles or Elvis, then I'd have seen the former every time.

Agreed. If it were 1969 -- I'd have picked Elvis over Zeppelin, The Stones, The Dead, The Allman Brothers, Hendrix, The Doors, The Byrds, The Who, The Jeff Beck Group, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, etc. And lets face it, many of those bands were playing at their highest level -- but, Elvis was out of this world. It is all about perspective. Elvis in '77 was not delivering the goods -- and while some here would prefer sitting through an entire hour just to hear him tackle Unchained Melody (and I can respect that position), I would have rather seen The Eagles nail it with almost precise perfection for up to two hours. I want to see the best show. I love Elvis, but it he isn't delivering the goods, his charisma and sparkling jumpsuit isn't going to be more enticing than seeing another fantastic music act in its prime.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:09 am

midnightx wrote:
londonflash wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Agreed. If it were 1969 -- I'd have picked Elvis over Zeppelin, The Stones, The Dead, The Allman Brothers, Hendrix, The Doors, The Byrds, The Who, The Jeff Beck Group, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, etc. And lets face it, many of those bands were playing at their highest level -- but, Elvis was out of this world. It is all about perspective. Elvis in '77 was not delivering the goods -- and while some here would prefer sitting through an entire hour just to hear him tackle Unchained Melody (and I can respect that position), I would have rather seen The Eagles nail it with almost precise perfection for up to two hours. I want to see the best show. I love Elvis, but it he isn't delivering the goods, his charisma and sparkling jumpsuit isn't going to be more enticing than seeing another fantastic music act in its prime.

I think the thing that you don't get, is that some of us do not like the Eagles even in thier prime.

Not one of their songs do a think for me.

The Eagles and Lynard Skinard, leave me totally bored out of my mind.

I'd rather do see Olivia Newton John than those 2 groups.

In the seventies, there were a host of country acts that I would rather see than any of the acts you bring up.

So, now, the choice is between The Eagles and Olivia Newton John. Which one?

Or Olivia and Dolly Parton. Dolly wins.

You see how this is....it is endlessly comparring acts. There is too many choices and its all subjective.

Actually the 70's for me was kind of boring. Lots of one hit wonders. Lots of great songs, but by different people.

I would rather have seen Rick Nelson or Fats Domino or Johnny Cash or Jerrry lee lewis than the Jeff beck group.

And that's the way it is.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:06 am

o
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
londonflash wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I think the thing that you don't get, is that some of us do not like the Eagles even in thier prime.

Not one of their songs do a think for me.

The Eagles and Lynard Skinard, leave me totally bored out of my mind.

I'd rather do see Olivia Newton John than those 2 groups.

In the seventies, there were a host of country acts that I would rather see than any of the acts you bring up.

So, now, the choice is between The Eagles and Olivia Newton John. Which one?

Or Olivia and Dolly Parton. Dolly wins.

You see how this is....it is endlessly comparring acts. There is too many choices and its all subjective.

Actually the 70's for me was kind of boring. Lots of one hit wonders. Lots of great songs, but by different people.

I would rather have seen Rick Nelson or Fats Domino or Johnny Cash or Jerrry lee lewis than the Jeff beck group.

And that's the way it is.

Despite not liking the bands on that list that Midnightx was talking about the point is there were a lot of great acts putting on better shows in 1977 than Elvis.

The point is there are many Elvis fans that would rather go see other artists in 1977 than Elvis.
Which act they would rather see depends on what music they like.
Midnightx likes Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Eagles and they happened to be on the top grossing acts list so he mentioned them within the context of this thread.

That's all he was saying