Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bajo wrote:... it still stands as a fact that our man pulled them crowds in even in his final days!

Can you imagine what size crowd Presley would have pulled if he'd given a concert tour in 2010?


There are too many variables here.

Did he never die in '77 but has been performing in the years since ?

Or:

Did he apparently die in '77 & is now making an unexpected 'come back ' ?

The latter would be the bigger crowd-puller..............................

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bajo wrote:... it still stands as a fact that our man pulled them crowds in even in his final days!

Can you imagine what size crowd Presley would have pulled if he'd given a concert tour in 2010?


At 75 I'd think it was about time Elvis was putting his feet up and relaxing.

Andy

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:59 pm

jetblack wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
bajo wrote:... it still stands as a fact that our man pulled them crowds in even in his final days!

Can you imagine what size crowd Presley would have pulled if he'd given a concert tour in 2010?


At 75 I'd think it was about time Elvis was putting his feet up and relaxing.

Andy

One would hope, but it is more likely someone like Irving Azoff would have had Elvis up on stage with excessively high ticket prices and million dollar nightly guarantees.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:50 am

midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
intheghetto wrote:Wow look at all the other acts on there! Alot of stuff I grew up with. It's amazing to see Elvis beating out all of the contemporary acts of that time.

Yes, and so many of them were putting on superior shows at that point in time.


And yet, I would still prefer to be at an Elvis show.

In fact, I would pay $10 just to hear Elvis sing "unchainged Melody" at the piano, than to hear a whole show by
any of those other 70's acts.

Suit yourself. Even while Elvis is generally number one for me, in 1977, from the artists on that particular list the Doc posted, I would have chosen to see The Eagles, ELP, and Lynyrd Skynyrd over the King.

Heck Yeah ! How could anyone not.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 am

ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
bajo wrote:... it still stands as a fact that our man pulled them crowds in even in his final days!

Can you imagine what size crowd Presley would have pulled if he'd given a concert tour in 2010?


There are too many variables here.

Did he never die in '77 but has been performing in the years since ?

Or:

Did he apparently die in '77 & is now making an unexpected 'come back ' ?

The latter would be the bigger crowd-puller..............................



Could you imagine the story and the crowds the latter would pull if it were true? It would be the story of the century. In an alternate universe..."Elvis Presley, yes the real King of Rock 'n' Roll folks, is alive and well 35 years after he faked his death in 1977, is scheduled to make an unprecedented comeback on the NBC Television Network on January 8, 2012 - his 77th birthday. There will be a series of concerts over 2 weeks at the infamous Radio City Music Hall in New York, and a world tour stopping in every major city venue in the world until July of 2012. Presley is expected to be paid at least $1 million per song performance, perhaps more. Each concert will be filmed and televised. All tickets have already been pre-sold to the tune of $56 million in revenue."

Unfortunately, we all know of the circumstances that occurred that fateful day on August 16th, 1977.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bajo wrote:... it still stands as a fact that our man pulled them crowds in even in his final days!

Can you imagine what size crowd Presley would have pulled if he'd given a concert tour in 2010?


Good thought. Looking at the list if you take away the festival/stadiums Elvis' closest competition was 7,000 fans back. I am quite sure at this stage of the game he would only be playing domed stadiums, packing them in with less travel (selling out in hours). Of course for him to do that he would have had to get some help and get better. The domed facilities across the nation would have been no problem, just a matter of someone lining up the gig (any takers?).
Last edited by Blue-Gypsy on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:42 am

Funny that some people to get their points through compares an Elvis that had totally lost it (according to some self proclaimed hardcore Elvis fans) to their favourite artists while they were in their prime...why? Why not compare Elvis ´77 to the last ever tour that Led Zeppelin gave in 1980...? They sucked immensly, Page played like a seven year old schoolboy sounding like he never had touched a guitar before...and this was the same guy that in 1969-71 was one of the most celebrated and raved about guitarplayers around...! Please explane that to me...!

The point for any true Elvis fan is: Elvis Presley WAS ELVIS...while all the others were just...well...the others...

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:21 am

MB280E wrote:Why not compare Elvis ´77 to the last ever tour that Led Zeppelin gave in 1980...?

Because that is a specious comparison.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:47 am

MB280E wrote:Funny that some people to get their points through compares an Elvis that had totally lost it (according to some self proclaimed hardcore Elvis fans) to their favourite artists while they were in their prime...why? Why not compare Elvis ´77 to the last ever tour that Led Zeppelin gave in 1980...? They sucked immensly, Page played like a seven year old schoolboy sounding like he never had touched a guitar before...and this was the same guy that in 1969-71 was one of the most celebrated and raved about guitarplayers around...! Please explane that to me...!

The point for any true Elvis fan is: Elvis Presley WAS ELVIS...while all the others were just...well...the others...

Sincerely MB280E



nice one, MB

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:56 am

Why? After what I´ve heard from soundboard and audience recordings this tour was almost mindblowingly aweful...should other bands/artists be protected from this kinds of criticism? Anyone BUT Elvis Presley?

And who in 1977 would actually know that LS or The Eagles were in their prime as performers? It is thought of as being their prime when viewed in a historical point of view, nothing more, nothing less. The arguments about choosing an Eagles show or a show by LS therefore falls dead as being cheap and silly.


Sincerely MB280E

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:51 am

MB280E wrote:Why? After what I´ve heard from soundboard and audience recordings this tour was almost mindblowingly aweful...should other bands/artists be protected from this kinds of criticism? Anyone BUT Elvis Presley?

And who in 1977 would actually know that LS or The Eagles were in their prime as performers? It is thought of as being their prime when viewed in a historical point of view, nothing more, nothing less. The arguments about choosing an Eagles show or a show by LS therefore falls dead as being cheap and silly.


Sincerely MB280E

Your point isn't clear. The Eagles and Lynyrd Skynyrd were putting on substantially better live shows in 1977. It doesn't matter if they were in their prime or not. They were producing better shows than Elvis Presley at the point in time. There is nothing cheap or silly about it. No one is protected from critical analysis. Elvis Presley's live show was substandard during that period and other acts were simply doing it better on stage.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:22 am

midnightx wrote:
MB280E wrote:Why? After what I´ve heard from soundboard and audience recordings this tour was almost mindblowingly aweful...should other bands/artists be protected from this kinds of criticism? Anyone BUT Elvis Presley?

And who in 1977 would actually know that LS or The Eagles were in their prime as performers? It is thought of as being their prime when viewed in a historical point of view, nothing more, nothing less. The arguments about choosing an Eagles show or a show by LS therefore falls dead as being cheap and silly.


Sincerely MB280E

Your point isn't clear. The Eagles and Lynyrd Skynyrd were putting on substantially better live shows in 1977. It doesn't matter if they were in their prime or not. They were producing better shows than Elvis Presley at the point in time. There is nothing cheap or silly about it. No one is protected from critical analysis. Elvis Presley's live show was substandard during that period and other acts were simply doing it better on stage.


It's all relative.
Perhaps the Eagles were doing better shows "for the period" for them.
Same with LS.
Elvis was doing sub standard shows in relative terms that he was capable of.
But to say, "they were producing better shows than Elvis Presley" is pure bias.

Never cared for the Eagles personally. They suck as far as I'm concerned. Yes that may be bias but its
the truth as I see it.

How about this for comparison.
I'd rather buy an Elvis concert ticket in 1977, and hear the Sweet Inspirations opening act, then leave the arena before Elvis
goes on, long before I would ever sit thru anything by the Eagles.

Why? because in 1977 the Sweet Inspirations were putting on better show than the Eagles!

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:35 am

I had an Eagles live album and found it very disappointing. While they reproduced the sounds of their studio hits for me the concert lacked emotion and sponteneity. However, my wife says the Eagles was the best concert she has seen.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:36 am

The title of this thread should be "Elvis Is Still # 1 And Always Will Be"


Thank You, Thank You Very Much! :lol:

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:59 am

Mitch wrote:The title of this thread should be "Elvis Is Still # 1 And Always Will Be" ...

Sorry, not a fantasy land guy.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mitch wrote:The title of this thread should be "Elvis Is Still # 1 And Always Will Be" ...

Sorry, not a fantasy land guy.


Don't start with me! :lol:

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:08 am

Mitch wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mitch wrote:The title of this thread should be "Elvis Is Still # 1 And Always Will Be" ...

Sorry, not a fantasy land guy.


Don't start with me! :lol:

It was my topic, bubba.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mitch wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mitch wrote:The title of this thread should be "Elvis Is Still # 1 And Always Will Be" ...

Sorry, not a fantasy land guy.


Don't start with me! :lol:

It was my topic, bubba.


Settle down ace!

I know who started this topic! I was just trying to have some fun. Did you see the :lol: ?

You need to lighten up some Doc. Then maybe so many people on this board wouldn't dislike you.

Food for thought. :wink:
Last edited by Mitch on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:26 am

ekenee wrote:Why? because in 1977 the Sweet Inspirations were putting on better show than the Eagles!

Only in Fantasy Land!

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:55 am

rickeap wrote:I had an Eagles live album and found it very disappointing. While they reproduced the sounds of their studio hits for me the concert lacked emotion and sponteneity. However, my wife says the Eagles was the best concert she has seen.


And probably the most expensive...

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:35 am

I would love to have been able to see Elvis at any stage in his career just to see him...but thinking his 1977 concerts could compete quality-wise with any other top act is just ludicrous! Some people here would claim Elvis mumbling through Teddy Bear, spending 1/3 of the show on introductions, asking Kathy or the Stamps to sing songs and hardly being able to move would be a better experience than a Springsteen-type putting their soul on the line for three hours of true rock and roll. INSANE! Elvis AT HIS BEST was untouchable...but Elvis at his worst was not still better than other artists' best. Gosh, if Elvis in 1969 could have looked at a crystal ball and watched a 77 show he would have puked in disgust. c'mon people.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:00 pm

I saw Eagles live in Oslo, Norway on their Hell Freezes Over world tour. It was 1996. I thought the concert was great, and I´ve always liked The Eagles...especially their guitarplayers (Joe Walsh and Don Felder). The day after the newspaper reviews were pretty cold towards the concert and the band. They found them to be very boring since each and every guitarsolo was played like in the studio...no improvising at all...and remember, these two guitarplayers really had the ability to make something special out of any solo...also, they leaned heavily on each members solo projects and very little on the classic stuff that made The Eagles a big act. Whenever I hear a new live recording of the Eagles I see what those newspaper reviewers said...every damn concert sounds exactly like the others...but what made it a great concert for me is the fact that they played the songs I wanted to hear live...that of course didn´t make it the best concert ever for all present that night. That is something to keep in mind for all who critisize Elvis for not changing his shows to fit the same audiences. Elvis said something like; "It´s a new audience (or crowd) every time, and I´ve got to please them." No question the concerts may have sounded very similar to people attending every single one. (Especially from 1974-77) But for those that didn´t it was probably a very nice touch of Elvis to play all the songs we all feel that we know only too well...: Hound Dog, Don´t Be Cruel, Heartbreak Hotel and so forth...all other bands do the exact same thing but nobody seems to give them any bad credit for this...even though the songs too sounds exactly like they did on the last tour, or during last week´s concert...

People tend to judge Elvis harder than other top of the line artists...well, at least a few visistors at this forum tend to.


Sincerely MB280E

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:02 pm

MB280E wrote:Elvis said something like; "It´s a new audience (or crowd) every time, and I´ve got to please them." No question the concerts may have sounded very similar to people attending every single one. (Especially from 1974-77) But for those that didn´t it was probably a very nice touch of Elvis to play all the songs we all feel that we know only too well...: Hound Dog, Don´t Be Cruel, Heartbreak Hotel and so forth...all other bands do the exact same thing but nobody seems to give them any bad credit for this...even though the songs too sounds exactly like they did on the last tour, or during last week´s concert...

People tend to judge Elvis harder than other top of the line artists...well, at least a few visistors at this forum tend to.

No one judges Elvis for playing his "classics," Elvis is justifiably criticized for throwing away his hits in reckless fashion. That is where the difference lies and that is the point you seem to be missing. Elvis is not held to a different standard than any other artist. If The Eagles were mumbling their vocals while tossing away "Take It Easy" in a rushed tempo with a maximum playing time of 45 seconds, they wouldn't get a free pass either.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:18 pm

midnightx wrote:
MB280E wrote:Elvis said something like; "It´s a new audience (or crowd) every time, and I´ve got to please them." No question the concerts may have sounded very similar to people attending every single one. (Especially from 1974-77) But for those that didn´t it was probably a very nice touch of Elvis to play all the songs we all feel that we know only too well...: Hound Dog, Don´t Be Cruel, Heartbreak Hotel and so forth...all other bands do the exact same thing but nobody seems to give them any bad credit for this...even though the songs too sounds exactly like they did on the last tour, or during last week´s concert...

People tend to judge Elvis harder than other top of the line artists...well, at least a few visistors at this forum tend to.

No one judges Elvis for playing his "classics," Elvis is justifiably criticized for throwing away his hits in reckless fashion. That is where the difference lies and that is the point you seem to be missing. Elvis is not held to a different standard than any other artist. If The Eagles were mumbling their vocals while tossing away "Take It Easy" in a rushed tempo with a maximum playing time of 45 seconds, they wouldn't get a free pass either.



Elvis was justifiably bored with his classics. He played them too much because he toured too much.
If he had only toured once a year and did vegas once a year for a week from 1969 on, perhaps he could
have kept it fresh.
A group like the Eagles or any other star that can't rely on charisma and must do thier classics songs,
just like the records, or people wouldn't bother going to their shows.
Elvis could get away with alot. True.
An article I just read along with another quote from long ago says,
"People didn't to hear Elvis, they came to see him."
And "People came to see Elvis like he was some sort of National monument" .

I think the reason Elvis was not held to that same standard was because he had already proven himself
as a legend, by making all of those legendary 1950's and 60's hits.

But also, given the fact that Elvis ruined his health, was he actually capable of doing the same show
in 1977 as he did in 1956? Even if he was healthy?
Even the 1969 shows could have been thought of as dissappointing had they expected the
bump and grind routine of 1957.
He even admitted he didn't prepare much for his 1961 shows.
And what about the 1968 shows. Half of them were sitdown shows.
Who wants to see Elvis sitting down and not moving and leg twitching?
It's all too confining.
Do you think they would have accepting him doing his show sitting down in 1957?
They certainly got alittle antsy with him sitting for the shows in vegas in '76 because he sprained his ankle.

I don't think you can criticize him for mumbling.
He had done that all his career.
I still can't understand what he says on some songs.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Dear, sweet Dwight Hemion ...