Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:11 am

maybe that specific lady comes to this board and she can tell us...that would be cool..

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:27 am

I think she is a happy audience member

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:33 am

I'd be more worried about the young lady they keep on showing over and over again who looks sad /bored during the concert,you know the one that says something like "he's old" or at least that's what her lips look like she's saying..oh and you can't forget the very bored looking Ginger..who looks like she's just kind of rolling her eyes,of course I can't remember which song it was where they showed her in the audience but she doesn't look like she wants to be there...(I think it may have been "My Way" but I'm not sure)

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:09 am

That would have been during 'Hurt' and it's common knowledge Ginger didn't like touring, so perhaps that's what's showing, if she'd been smiling the whole hour it wouldn't have been normal either.
People sometimes read to much in a certain image.

Cheers,
Simon

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:46 am

Last edited by Juan Luis on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:08 am

You must remember that everyone that went to see Elvis was not a fan.
They are spouses, mothers, fathers, friends of fans in the crowd.
Or people that were of a curious nature and were given tickets or any other such happenstance.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:13 am

midnightx wrote:Really? I've never heard a Lynyrd Skynyrd apologist claim that being in the same building with Ronnie Van Zant was enough to overlook any deficiencies with the concert.

No one had the intangible power Elvis had. Call it magnetism or whatever ....no recording could capture. You had to be there to know. I applaud the EP fans that were hooked,line and sinker with just the recordings.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
javierTCB wrote:Among the many sad news in his last year of life, this thread gives me a great joy. His life was painful but his fans loved him tenderly. Thanks Doc for giving me back faith in humanity.

Bless your heart, Javier!

midnightx wrote:hollandgroupc2008, your objective, honest analysis is appreciated.

stupot wrote:The same can't be said about your topic hijacking, attention seeking posts.

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:Are you talking to me or midnightx?

He's referring to midnightx.

However, as I've twice stated, all manner of reply and opinion is appreciated here.
stupot, if FECC becomes another "Elvis was always perfect" forum, it will cease to be anything special.

Thanks again, everyone, for the intense interest in what I thought would be a modest topic of discussion.

I appreciate that Doc and dont want to appear discurtious but had it not been diverted into another "mid/late seventies Elvis" argument, this unusual topic had the potential to draw considerable interest on its own merit.

I would be interested to hear if Elvis set any attendance records in 1977 and also opinions on why Elvis could command high ticket prices and sell out with such a formulaic show.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:38 am

kajsa89 wrote:
imthcat wrote:
When Elvis first South Carolina show in 20 years went on sale in early 1977, (...), but it was an unforgettable night. I've seen many better concerts since, including over 20 Springsteen shows, but Elvis just had some kind of charisma that I've never seen in anybody else, and I am so very glad I got to see him that night.
Garry

Garry, I am THRILLED you did get to see him!!

Did you make it to a show on Bruce's Darkness tour, btw? Perhaps a PM would be best, - even if it could be nice to balance all the L.Skynard/Eages talk with some Boss talk... :D

Nah, I didn't get to see Bruce on the Darkness tour. Damnit...

I was 13 when he came to my town in July 1978 (it would be 2008 before Springsteen returned to Charleston), but a high school friend a couple years older went, and he was blown away. We worked after school together, and we'd talk about music (and girls) all the time. He was a bit of an Elvis fan, and I remember him running in to work to tell me about the new Elvis single he'd just heard on the radio. It was "Way Down," and he said the radio dj introduced it by saying, "Who said Elvis doesn't rock and roll anymore?"

Anyway, he said Springsteen was hands-down the best concert he'd ever seen, and I knew he'd seen a few, so when The River tour made it to Columbia (the same arena Elvis had played) in 1981, I knew I had to be there. He wasn't kidding, and 30 years and over 20 concerts later, Bruce has never let me down.

I was 15, and my cousin and I drove up, it was on a rainy, cold Sunday in February. I soon thought it was going to be a trip I'd regret, as my car wouldn't start after we stopped for food about fifteen minutes from the coliseum. I decided to worry about the car later, so we got a taxi to the show, and the driver said she'd just heard on the radio that Springsteen had the flu and the show might be canceled. The rumor was circulating among the crowd inside as well, so I was prepared for disappointing news.

Bruce was late coming on, but he said something like, "I may be under the weather, but it's still gonna be a long show, so you can sit down and relax if you want." Then he proceeded to play an amazing show that clocked in at just under four hours. It was incredible, he could rock like a madman on one song, then have you almost in tears the next. And those were the days when he would tell these stories about the songs, some hilarious, but some heartbreaking. The one about jumping the wall at Graceland was great, but his touching comments about Elvis over the years show what a true fan he is. He also occasionally does a very nice acoustic "Can't Help Falling In Love."

The next day I got back to school, and this other guy showed me his autographed program. I asked him how he got it, and he said that they waited in the freezing rain to watch the band leave after the show. As his bus was pulling out, Bruce had the driver stop, said "if you guys can wait for me in weather like this, I can't just drive by without saying hello." He then signed autographs and posed for photos in the rain for about 20 minutes. Two days later, I signed up for guitar lessons.

I met Bruce after a concert in 1996, and he was much the same, and he also stopped after his 2008 Charleston concert to sign autographs and chat with the crowd gathered to watch him leave. He seems very down to earth, and I've never heard anyone who has encountered him say a bad word about him.

And the fact that the music is so great helps too...

Garry

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:08 am

imthcat wrote:
kajsa89 wrote:Did you make it to a show on Bruce's Darkness tour, btw? Perhaps a PM would be best, - even if it could be nice to balance all the L.Skynard/Eages talk with some Boss talk... :D

I was 13 when he came to my town in July 1978 (it would be 2008 before Springsteen returned to Charleston), but a high school friend a couple years older went, and he was blown away. We worked after school together, and we'd talk about music (and girls) all the time. He was a bit of an Elvis fan, and I remember him running in to work to tell me about the new Elvis single he'd just heard on the radio. It was "Way Down," and he said the radio dj introduced it by saying, "Who said Elvis doesn't rock and roll anymore?"

Anyway, he said Springsteen was hands-down the best concert he'd ever seen, and I knew he'd seen a few, so when The River tour made it to Columbia (the same arena Elvis had played) in 1981, I knew I had to be there. He wasn't kidding, and 30 years and over 20 concerts later, Bruce has never let me down.

I was 15, and my cousin and I drove up, it was on a rainy, cold Sunday in February. I soon thought it was going to be a trip I'd regret, as my car wouldn't start after we stopped for food about fifteen minutes from the coliseum. I decided to worry about the car later, so we got a taxi to the show, and the driver said she'd just heard on the radio that Springsteen had the flu and the show might be canceled. The rumor was circulating among the crowd inside as well, so I was prepared for disappointing news.

Bruce was late coming on, but he said something like, "I may be under the weather, but it's still gonna be a long show, so you can sit down and relax if you want." Then he proceeded to play an amazing show that clocked in at just under four hours. It was incredible, he could rock like a madman on one song, then have you almost in tears the next. And those were the days when he would tell these stories about the songs, some hilarious, but some heartbreaking. The one about jumping the wall at Graceland was great, but his touching comments about Elvis over the years show what a true fan he is. He also occasionally does a very nice acoustic "Can't Help Falling In Love."

The next day I got back to school, and this other guy showed me his autographed program. I asked him how he got it, and he said that they waited in the freezing rain to watch the band leave after the show. As his bus was pulling out, Bruce had the driver stop, said "if you guys can wait for me in weather like this, I can't just drive by without saying hello." He then signed autographs and posed for photos in the rain for about 20 minutes. Two days later, I signed up for guitar lessons.

I met Bruce after a concert in 1996, and he was much the same, and he also stopped after his 2008 Charleston concert to sign autographs and chat with the crowd gathered to watch him leave. He seems very down to earth, and I've never heard anyone who has encountered him say a bad word about him.

Garry

Garry, I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your comments.

All spot-on, of course!

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:58 am

Stupot:

Elvis sold out arenas in 1977 at some of the highest ticket prices around, because he was ELVIS. And on a good night (most of) the people thought they got their money's worth. Most of us have heard of people who were at Omaha in 1977 that thought the show was fantastic and I guarantee you the audience at Rapid City enjoyed that show. His voice would have been stunning on a number of those songs, hearing them live with an arena sound system amplifying it. And the woman to Elvis' right on Jailhouse Rock is loving the show. It's amazing how different people see the same thing yet see it so differently.

Don't know if he set any records in 1977, but there were a number of arenas holding 15,000 - 20,000 people that he sold out that year, mostly at $15.00/ticket. He sold nearly 40,000 tickets in Chicago on May 1 and 2, six months after doing it in October 1976. There were a number of Billboard gross charts headed by Elvis in 1977.

Steve Lecher

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:07 pm

This is too funny not to tell. I told my wife who is an Eagles fan I could get tickets for the show tonight in Toronto (I live about 20 minutes away).

We went on the Eagles website, listened to some of their music -- she's singing along. I figure I'm going to see the Eagles tonight.

She said she'd rather have a new picnic table for the money.

We'll be enjoying the outdoors a little more now -- with a smile on my face.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
imthcat wrote:
kajsa89 wrote:Did you make it to a show on Bruce's Darkness tour, btw? Perhaps a PM would be best, - even if it could be nice to balance all the L.Skynard/Eages talk with some Boss talk... :D

Garry

Garry, I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your comments.

All spot-on, of course!

Bruce, like any rock star to rise to prominence from the 70s to today, have the benefit of using Elvis' rise and fall as benchmarks. He continues to show the heights a performer can climb, and, sadly, he is a prime example of how things can end badly.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:24 am

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
kajsa89 wrote:Simon1, very well put INDEED!
Yeah...if only once...

But neither do I understand points of view like that girl in Elvis In Concert who says she would never pay to see any other performer! That's some absurd loyalty. Of course I want to see the performers whose music I really like/love LIVE if given the chance!
Yeah, that is another topic, really...

I'm not the type of person to go to live concerts. In fact I've never been in my life and have hd no urge to. Yet for Elvis, I'd kill to have seen him. I can understand what the girl means, it's not absurd loyalty, it's more that she's probably never felt compelled to go see anybody else.

Why on earth wouldn't you/anyone want to go to a concert??
To enjoy live music you really dig?
Assuming you live in reasonable distance by some mode of transport to a venue.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 am

kajsa89 wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
Yeah...if only once...

But neither do I understand points of view like that girl in Elvis In Concert who says she would never pay to see any other performer! That's some absurd loyalty. Of course I want to see the performers whose music I really like/love LIVE if given the chance!

I'm not the type of person to go to live concerts. In fact I've never been in my life and have hd no urge to. Yet for Elvis, I'd kill to have seen him. I can understand what the girl means, it's not absurd loyalty, it's more that she's probably never felt compelled to go see anybody else.

Some people just aren't the 'concert' type. There are also very few acts around today that I would actually want to see perform live, there ain't as many good live singers as there used to be. It isn't cheap either, I've looked at the possibility of seeing Paul Weller, Paul McCartney and Oasis just before they split up, and the tickets were all above the £50 region. And they are about the only artists currently I would want to pay money to go and see. I think because I've never experienced a concert, I don't really know what I'm missing, so don't feel I'm missing out. You get me? Plus other costs for the day, it's expensive for somebody like me who is still at school and only works part-time. Any funds I do have for music goes on purchasing from iTunes or Elvis CD's.

Some people, like me, will only go to see somebody live if they love their music, have a real passion for it. It's hard to describe to a fan like yourself, who probably is the type who watches artists live if they quite like their music.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:36 am

kajsa89 wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
Yeah...if only once...

thats a strange one never been to a live concert :?

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 am

And for the record I live a bus ride away from probably the UK's hottest music venue at the moment, the 02 Arena.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 am

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:And for the record I live a bus ride away from probably the UK's hottest music venue at the moment, the 02 Arena.

O2 arena is an awesome venue,check out a gig there dude it will change your life.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:41 am

rocknroller wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:And for the record I live a bus ride away from probably the UK's hottest music venue at the moment, the 02 Arena.

O2 arena is an awesome venue,check out a gig there dude it will change your life.

There's nobody I'd want to see to be honest. The only acts still around that I would see are Elton John, McCartney and Weller, and I will see them hopefully within the next couple of years, hopefully in London somewhere.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:45 am

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

There's nobody I'd want to see to be honest. The only acts still around that I would see are Elton John, McCartney and Weller, and I will see them hopefully within the next couple of years, hopefully in London somewhere.

bon jovi is playing the O2 soon they put on a awesome gig.you sound as if you are very young so please try and go to a gig live music will blow you away.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:54 am

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
kajsa89 wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
Yeah...if only once...

Some people just aren't the 'concert' type. There are also very few acts around today that I would actually want to see perform live, there ain't as many good live singers as there used to be. It isn't cheap either, I've looked at the possibility of seeing Paul Weller, Paul McCartney and Oasis just before they split up, and the tickets were all above the £50 region. And they are about the only artists currently I would want to pay money to go and see. I think because I've never experienced a concert, I don't really know what I'm missing, so don't feel I'm missing out. You get me? Plus other costs for the day, it's expensive for somebody like me who is still at school and only works part-time. Any funds I do have for music goes on purchasing from iTunes or Elvis CD's.

Some people, like me, will only go to see somebody live if they love their music, have a real passion for it. It's hard to describe to a fan like yourself, who probably is the type who watches artists live if they quite like their music.

Cool.
Your call :)
Plus, the fact that you still go to school likely means you are not much older than 20-ish? I hadn't been to many myself in THAT age...
Well, a concert is...a chance to SEE/"MEET" your favorites and hopefully to hear the music played perhaps a little different than on the records. It is the setting, the atmosphere... HOWEVER; if SONIC quality is you top priority, one is usually better off listening to the albums on a good hi-fi system....

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

kajsa89 wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
kajsa89 wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
Yeah...if only once...

Cool.
Plus, the fact that you still go to school likely means you are not much older than 20-ish? I hadn't been to many myself in THAT age...
Well, a concert is...a chance to SEE/"MEET" your favorites and hopefully to hear the music played perhaps a little different than on the records. It is the setting, the atmosphere... HOWEVER; if SONIC quality is you top priority, one is usually better off listening to the albums on a good hi-fi system....

Yep, I'm 17.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:09 am

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
kajsa89 wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
kajsa89 wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
Yeah...if only once...

Cool.

Yep, I'm 17.

you'll learn :wink:

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:09 am

I've made some comments about these "rare facts" some moons ago. But, it still stands as a fact that our man pulled them crowds in even in his final days!
He was an entertainer in ways of communitacing with his audience that still stands beyond anyone else in the "bizz"! Even today!
One of the things I like about Elvis' legacy is that he has records to show for his achievements! Not only "legend"! Check out his "fellow men" during the years that have gained legendary status and check their RIIA statitistics. Elvis rules!

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:55 am

bajo wrote:... it still stands as a fact that our man pulled them crowds in even in his final days!

Can you imagine what size crowd Presley would have pulled if he'd given a concert tour in 2010?