Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:59 pm

elvisjock wrote:The crowd shots in EIC were edited in (poorly) at random.
They don't necessarily sync with what we see Elvis doing on screen at that moment.


How true !

When he says "Are You Lonesome Tonight - I am & I was" there follows either enthusiastic applause, or a few seconds of embarrassed silence.

It depends on which version you are watching & how it was edited !

But it alters things dramatically !

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm

midnightx wrote:
3577 wrote:Hopeless. Again you come up with your personal choice. Not important. It's about the majority which choose/would have chosen to attend a Elvis concert.

We all know after 1973 Elvis isn't that important for you. My Boy, If You Love Me Let Me Know, jumpsuits, etc.. (and how tiring) For others, to see a living legend perform in the flesh above your beloved (personal) Eagles or Lynyrd Skynyrd or whoever.

I never said anything who i would choose back then. No need. This is not about personal favourites.

Oh, but it is about personal choice. Your position is that "the majority" would personally choose to see Elvis in a substandard state over other premier acts arguably in their prime. That is a personal choice -- and also a misguided opinion.

Read Frankie's post, it sums things up nicely.


No thank you, I prefer intelligent comments.

Read Simon1's post. That's what i call informative and intelligent:

Simon1 wrote:All this talk about some Elvis fans in 1976/1977 choosing to go and see another act because Elvis wasn't at his best isn't really true. Let me tell you, in those years fans weren't talking about Elvis gaining weight and or delivering sub-standard shows, it's only now, over 30 years later when we have all the evidence on zillions of soundboards, photos and everything that we know that he wasn't his old self anymore.

You have to also remember that in those days things were a LOT slower, in fan mags like Strictly Elvis in 1976/1977 the majority of photos were of an Elvis from a couple of years back, Aloha photos were still sipping through 4 years later, there weren't almost any up to date photos. Fans didn't Know what state he was in. Not until 'Elvis What Happened' came out fans started to learn that Elvis hadn't always been the clean-cut all American boy, the image that the Colonel had always been very protective of.

Only the fans that were constantly following him saw all the differences that started happening, the majority of fans only saw him whenever he visited their home town or nearby. And then, when you were seated in row 10 or in most cases much much further back, you didn't see his expanded belly or bloated face.

unfortunately I was too young to see him live, I went to Graceland first at 18, in 1983 after saving, scraping and borrowing, missed him by a mere 6 years, but I would have given eye teeth to have seen him just Once! The idea of rather going to see a concert by The Eagles or whomever for that matter just baffles me.

Going to see Elvis in 1977 wasn't like going to just another music act, Elvis by then, had transcended that, people were mesmerized just to be in the same room with him. His charisma was overwhelming and when they heard the first strains of Also Sprach Zarathustra, they were in another world. Even the great Ger Rijff, who by all accounts isn't your typical Seventies fan was Blown away when he saw him in Vegas '76 and then later in Cincinnati and Indianapolis. I remember him telling me that when he saw Elvis come onto that stage in '77 Ger was just flabbergasted by his charisma. (I have copies of his 8mm films he shot and I know exactly what moment he was referring to).

Elvis wasn't a star that was judged by his latest performance, he'd transcended that, he was like going to see Mount Rushmore some fans said. He was the ultimate American idol and, good or bad, he wasn't just judged by his latest performance like I said.

There was like a tradition with Elvis on stage, singing, handing out scarves and well just being Elvis, people didn't expect anymore by that time, the question whether it would have been better for both Elvis and his fans if it would have been better if they'd been more critical is for another discussion.

I personally have nothing against people who say they'd rather would have gone to an Eagles concert than to an Elvis concert, hey, tastes differ, it's just that I wouldn't call those people hard core Elvis fans, as I'm sure a hard-core Elvis fan would rather have gone see an Elvis show even if Elvis would have been carted onto the stage in a wheelchair.

All the same, it's great to me that we are all still discussing the legacy of (in my view) the greatest performer that ever lived. And thank god we can all differ from opinion, that's called freedom.



ekenee wrote:
You are never going to win, bringing up some tired old 70's acts and comparing them
to Elvis on an Elvis forum. You can still say rose colored glasses all you want but that is not what it is.



Spot-on! Bless you, ekenee.

midnightx wrote:It somewhat baffles me that some here would have bypassed seeing another legacy act in its prime just to get a glimpse of Omaha '77 in person.



By saying I'm as hardcore as an Elvis fan as they come, it's hard to believe. Your one of those people who only like the goods. Can't take trouble. Oh, Elvis isn't performing well, and you prefer another act. Hardcore fan? You are definitely NOT. Spoiled, yes.

midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Yeah, but what about Indianpolis 77, purely out of historic reasons, looking back.

A seat in the first ten rows center, yeah, I'll sit through that historical performance.


If i had to choose (as a hardcore Elvis fan) between the last Elvis Presley concert ever, or a randomly concert by The Eagles? Even the most distant seat in the venue will be fine for me.

Enjoy and have fun with your Eagles and Lynyrd Skynyrd collection. I will enjoy the next version of See See Rider. (whenever FTD comes with a new soundboard).

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:27 pm

rickeap wrote:I think we've sidetracked away from Doc's original posting and his attempt to get us on course, Elvis was still a big drawcard in 1977 and this is something that tends to be overlooked.
Personally, if i could see one artist in the world at any time, including his final shows, I would chose Elvis. Maybe I would have been a bit disappointed if I turned up on 19-6-77, but somehow I think some of the deficiences of his performance and health may have been overlooked by my pure excitement.
I still find the crowd reaction during his scarf throwing and even his `movement' songs quite amazing when Elvis clearly wasn't in his slim and sexy shape of a few years earlier.
Have a look at footage from Feb'77 when he stomps across the stage at the end of one version of PSA. The crowd is loving it. Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.
He still had charisma no matter what.

Indeed, he had enough to fill arenas around the country!

Imagine, though, a healthy, focused Elvis, touring stadiums around the world -- they would now be legendary cornerstones of an unparalleled career.

Thanks for the keen comments.


Joe Car wrote:For the most part, this has been an excellent thread. Well done folks! ::rocks

You are most welcome, Joe!

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:36 pm

midnightx wrote:hollandgroupc2008, your objective, honest analysis is appreciated.


The same can't be said about your topic hijacking, attention seeking posts.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:37 pm

ColinB wrote:
elvisjock wrote:The crowd shots in EIC were edited in (poorly) at random.
They don't necessarily sync with what we see Elvis doing on screen at that moment.


How true !

When he says "Are You Lonesome Tonight - I am & I was" there follows either enthusiastic applause, or a few seconds of embarrassed silence.

It depends on which version you are watching & how it was edited !

But it alters things dramatically !


Yeah!

And in THIS IS ELVIS. The cinema version has "if you think I'm nervous, you're right!" Followed by a lovely smile and great big cheer.

In the TV expanded edition, he says it, then we get a very serious and baffled looking crowd shot, followed by that terrible version of Love Me with all the microphone trouble!

Editing can utterly change the context of something!

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Among the many sad news in his last year of life, this thread gives me a great joy. His life was painful but his fans loved him tenderly. Thanks Doc for giving me back faith in humanity.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:18 pm

elvisjock wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
rickeap wrote:Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

Yes, but there were also plenty of shots of the audience where loads of people are sitting in their chairs with blank stares. It isn't as if the crowd in Omaha was holding up lighters, swaying to the music. Clearly the vast majority of people enjoyed seeing Elvis (I personally know someone whose father loved the Omaha performance he attended), but to act as if just being in the same building was enough to overlook any deficiencies in the show is misguided.


I do recall one shot, where Elvis is gyrating or moving or doing something during one song, i can't remember it exactly, but it's a side on shot and in the back ground you can see two people just crack up laughing, putting her head in her lap, obviously thinking Elvis is a joke. The crowd in general in EIC is quite embarassing, it makes the whole thing a lot worse, everybody is just sitting there, all a bit odd looking people, with grannies clapping along. etc. In contrast with the crowds you see in EOT, which althought just as diverse, you can actually see an atmosphere, a general excitement. The crowd in EIC look bored as hell.


The crowd shots in EIC were edited in (poorly) at random. They don't necessarily sync with what we see Elvis doing on screen at that moment.



Yeah true, but this isn't edited as it's just one shot, with Elvis in the foreground on stage, and the fans in the background, like I said it's a side on shot across the stage, and as Elvis is attempting some sort of dance like movement during one song, my attention always draws to the two crowd members, and it just makes me sad. People in the audience literally laughing at him.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 pm

stupot wrote:
midnightx wrote:hollandgroupc2008, your objective, honest analysis is appreciated.


The same can't be said about your topic hijacking, attention seeking posts.


Are you talking to me or midnightx?

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:23 pm

3577 wrote:
Read Frankie's post, it sums things up nicely.


No thank you, I prefer intelligent comments.


Never look here, then.
search.php?author_id=604&sr=posts

Other people can speak without lobbing insults, and if they do, can play that game far better. Stand down.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:27 pm

javierTCB wrote:Among the many sad news in his last year of life, this thread gives me a great joy. His life was painful but his fans loved him tenderly. Thanks Doc for giving me back faith in humanity.

Bless your heart, Javier!


midnightx wrote:hollandgroupc2008, your objective, honest analysis is appreciated.

stupot wrote:The same can't be said about your topic hijacking, attention seeking posts.

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:Are you talking to me or midnightx?

He's referring to midnightx.

However, as I've twice stated, all manner of reply and opinion is appreciated here.
stupot, if FECC becomes another "Elvis was always perfect" forum, it will cease to be anything special.

Thanks again, everyone, for the intense interest in what I thought would be a modest topic of discussion.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 pm

I've just noticed this thread and find it very interesting AND with all the bad press Elvis 76/77 gets these days I must say I'm slightly amazed that Elvis was still the top draw in 1977, but as a fan of Elvis and MANY other artists, to me seeing Elvis live would, in my own opinion, no doubt top every other artist that I've seen, jsut because it was eLVis, if anyone can understand that!.

Cool thread Doc, thanks!

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Liverbobs wrote:I've just noticed this thread and find it very interesting AND with all the bad press Elvis 76/77 gets these days I must say I'm slightly amazed that Elvis was still the top draw in 1977, but as a fan of Elvis and MANY other artists, to me seeing Elvis live would, in my own opinion, no doubt top every other artist that I've seen, jsut because it was eLVis, if anyone can understand that!.

Cool thread Doc, thanks!

The DOC -- at your service!

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Simon1, very well put INDEED!
Yeah...if only once...

But neither do I understand points of view like that girl in Elvis In Concert who says she would never pay to see any other performer! That's some absurd loyalty. Of course I want to see the performers whose music I really like/love LIVE if given the chance!
Yeah, that is another topic, really...

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:47 pm

kajsa89 wrote:...But neither do I understand points of view like that girl in Elvis In Concert who says she would never pay to see any other performer! That's some absurd loyalty.


She was probably making the point that, although she wasn't normally the type to ever attend live concerts, she made an exception for Elvis !

I reckon there may be a few like her........................

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:52 pm

kajsa89 wrote:Simon1, very well put INDEED!
Yeah...if only once...

But neither do I understand points of view like that girl in Elvis In Concert who says she would never pay to see any other performer! That's some absurd loyalty. Of course I want to see the performers whose music I really like/love LIVE if given the chance!
Yeah, that is another topic, really...


I'm not the type of person to go to live concerts. In fact I've never been in my life and have hd no urge to. Yet for Elvis, I'd kill to have seen him. I can understand what the girl means, it's not absurd loyalty, it's more that she's probably never felt compelled to go see anybody else.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 pm

She has clearly not seen ... Michael Buble.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:05 pm

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
elvisjock wrote:The crowd shots in EIC were edited in (poorly) at random.
They don't necessarily sync with what we see Elvis doing on screen at that moment.
Yeah true, but this isn't edited as it's just one shot, with Elvis in the foreground on stage, and the fans in the background, like I said it's a side on shot across the stage, and as Elvis is attempting some sort of dance like movement during one song, my attention always draws to the two crowd members, and it just makes me sad.
People in the audience literally laughing at him.


Are you sure he wasn't doing something funny & amusing to spark their laughter ?

He did introduce lots of little things like that.................

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 pm

ColinB wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
elvisjock wrote:The crowd shots in EIC were edited in (poorly) at random.
They don't necessarily sync with what we see Elvis doing on screen at that moment.
Yeah true, but this isn't edited as it's just one shot, with Elvis in the foreground on stage, and the fans in the background, like I said it's a side on shot across the stage, and as Elvis is attempting some sort of dance like movement during one song, my attention always draws to the two crowd members, and it just makes me sad.
People in the audience literally laughing at him.


Are you sure he wasn't doing something funny & amusing to spark their laughter ?

He did introduce lots of little things like that.................


No, I'll find a video of it on youtube as nobody seems to believe me.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:14 pm

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
ColinB wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
elvisjock wrote:The crowd shots in EIC were edited in (poorly) at random.
They don't necessarily sync with what we see Elvis doing on screen at that moment.
Yeah true, but this isn't edited as it's just one shot, with Elvis in the foreground on stage, and the fans in the background, like I said it's a side on shot across the stage, and as Elvis is attempting some sort of dance like movement during one song, my attention always draws to the two crowd members, and it just makes me sad.
People in the audience literally laughing at him.


Are you sure he wasn't doing something funny & amusing to spark their laughter ?

He did introduce lots of little things like that.................


No, I'll find a video of it on youtube as nobody seems to believe me.


I Think it's You Gave Me A Mountain when he throws his arms around, but I think it's a poor insert shot from somewhere else in the show!

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:15 pm

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:I do recall one shot, where Elvis is gyrating or moving or doing something during one song, i can't remember it exactly, but it's a side on shot and in the back ground you can see two people just crack up laughing, putting her head in her lap, obviously thinking Elvis is a joke ...

People in the audience literally laughing at him.

Perhaps you're recalling a bit of silly stage business during "C.C. Rider," where Elvis kind of does a "shimmy" with his left leg, and then his right, just before closing out the song. He did it every night.

They are not laughing AT Elvis, they are sharing in the humour of the moment.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:16 pm

This thread has gotten slightly off topic

To get back on topic it amazes me that Elvis was #1 in 1977, but as others have said it was the first chance many people had to see Elvis and his name and the nostalgia were enough to fill the seats.

It would be interesting to see lists from 1970, 1971,1972,1973,1974,1975 and 1976.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:30 pm

stupot wrote:
midnightx wrote:hollandgroupc2008, your objective, honest analysis is appreciated.


The same can't be said about your topic hijacking, attention seeking posts.

Hijacking? Simply because as an enthusiastic music fan I would have preferred to have seen the dynamic Ronnie Van Zant/Steve Gaines line-up of Skynyrd before the October '77 plane crash or The Eagles performing at a peak level or ELP virtuoso displays of musicianship over a substandard Elvis show from '77? The whole point of this thread is looking at Elvis' impressive box office draw from '77 on a list that contained some other highly acclaimed acts from the period. It is only natural to look at the list and compare and contrast various elements involved. So unless everyone fawns over how great Elvis was, even in 1977, they aren't welcome to contribute to the conversation? Seriously, do any of you guys like analyzing music and putting Elvis' work in the context of the times? Elvis was a legend and still filling arenas, but The Eagles were substantially more popular in 1977 in terms of mainstream appeal as they played stadiums and greatly out-sold Elvis in terms of current record releases. That isn't a knock on Elvis. To accuse me of hijacking a thread is baseless and predicated on an agenda and inspired by propaganda.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:33 pm

phpBB [video]



It's during Jailhouse Rock, It's the guy in blue in the background, at 7.36 he puts its hands together n appears to be laughing/cringing then turns to the people next to him, then again when the shot cuts back to that position at 7.50 you see him rub his hands together and look downwards then put his head in his hands. In both cases, to me, it's alwaysd looked like he and whoever he is with are basically laughing at Elvis stumbling and gyrating his way through Jailhouse Rock. This isn't the clearest video quality, but I've seen it in better and that's what it looks like to me.

Sorry if this is off topic, but I thought I'd show it.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:36 pm

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
rickeap wrote:Look at the EIC footage. Apart from one grumpy looking bloke, people seem to enjoy the show.

Yes, but there were also plenty of shots of the audience where loads of people are sitting in their chairs with blank stares. It isn't as if the crowd in Omaha was holding up lighters, swaying to the music. Clearly the vast majority of people enjoyed seeing Elvis (I personally know someone whose father loved the Omaha performance he attended), but to act as if just being in the same building was enough to overlook any deficiencies in the show is misguided.


I do recall one shot, where Elvis is gyrating or moving or doing something during one song, i can't remember it exactly, but it's a side on shot and in the back ground you can see two people just crack up laughing, putting her head in her lap, obviously thinking Elvis is a joke. The crowd in general in EIC is quite embarassing, it makes the whole thing a lot worse, everybody is just sitting there, all a bit odd looking people, with grannies clapping along. etc. In contrast with the crowds you see in EOT, which althought just as diverse, you can actually see an atmosphere, a general excitement. The crowd in EIC look bored as hell.


The crowd shots in EIC were edited in (poorly) at random. They don't necessarily sync with what we see Elvis doing on screen at that moment.



Yeah true, but this isn't edited as it's just one shot, with Elvis in the foreground on stage, and the fans in the background, like I said it's a side on shot across the stage, and as Elvis is attempting some sort of dance like movement during one song, my attention always draws to the two crowd members, and it just makes me sad. People in the audience literally laughing at him.

Your point is well taken. If you watch the footage, there are various shots of the crowd visible from stage cameras, unedited, during performances. Sometimes they are entralled (like the scarf throwing sequences) and other times there are shots of the grannies clapping along while the rest of the crowd sits with blank stares on their faces (If You Love Me contains such moments). There is no doubt that the audience shots and reaction from TTWII and EOT present a more attractive scenario.
Last edited by midnightx on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:38 pm

Sorry for continuing the off-topic, but for me, the shows I would choose on that list are the Isleys/P-Funk/Rufus/Bootsy/Bros. Johnson/Rose Royce and War/Crusaders/Roy Ayers shows. But hey, I am a big fan of black music, especially compared to the amount of stadium dinosaur classic rot on that list. Ugh.
It is precisely because I love Elvis so much that I wouldn't have wanted to see him in the condition he was in that year. But hey, if I was given the choice right now, maybe I would choose Elvis after all. Who knows.