CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At Last ?

Thu May 20, 2010 2:15 am

Proof at last!

Research has indicated that the long-rumoured 1977 Graceland poolside interview DOES exist!!

In late August 1977, AP published this statement during an interview with "Elvis In Concert" producer Gary Smith:

In all, the crew ... filmed the superstar at his mansion, Graceland.

The full piece -->

SarasotaHerald-TribuneAug291977p5.jpg
Sarasota Herald-Tribune - August 29, 1977 (from AP)

Speedos be damned, this is big news!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 2:18 am

Doc, You ARE da man !!!

Thu May 20, 2010 2:22 am

Well it does prove that they went to Graceland.

""He was performing extremely well" remembers producer Gary Smith".....yeah right

Thu May 20, 2010 2:25 am

newspapers have been known to make mistakes.
I'd imagine a `we were wrong' could have applied to the line in question.

Thu May 20, 2010 3:18 am

I feel vindicated...the truth is finally out.

Thu May 20, 2010 3:20 am

rickeap wrote:newspapers have been known to make mistakes.

True:

However, I would love to believe this is factual and the footage somehow surface!

T

Thu May 20, 2010 3:30 am

The DVD release has just gone from 'special' to 'deluxe' edition.... :smt002

Thu May 20, 2010 3:52 am

If somehow, some way, this ever does turn out to be true, you and Midnight are buying rounds for EVERYBODY.

Thu May 20, 2010 4:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Proof at last!

Research has indicated that the long-rumoured 1977 Graceland poolside interview DOES exist!!

In late August 1977, AP published this statement during an interview with "Elvis In Concert" producer Gary Smith:

In all, the crew ... filmed the superstar at his mansion, Graceland.

The full piece -->

Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Aug 29, 1977 (from AP)

Speedos be damned, this is big news!!!

And why did we need proof? We've all known about this for decades.

Thu May 20, 2010 6:47 am

Cool find, but a shame that the significant part is from the reporter's commentary, rather than a direct quote from Smith. It's quite possible that Smith mentioned filming at the mansion and the reporter wrongly assumed he meant with Elvis there.

Thu May 20, 2010 6:58 am

No proof whatsoever...in fact the reverse!

If there was an interview at Graceland...let alone pool side.

CBS NEWS would have used it on August 16!

Instead of having an interview with Vernon when the show was screened doncha think they would have used Elvis.

The headline to this thread is so wrong.

Thu May 20, 2010 6:59 am

Are Smith or Hemlon still alive? Have they ever commented publicly about about taping Elvis at Graceland?

Thu May 20, 2010 7:11 am

very, VERY interesting it DOES say they filmed Elvis at Graceland!!!!~ :shock:

Thu May 20, 2010 7:39 am

Cool!

Thu May 20, 2010 8:04 am

I still think someone like Billy Smith would have mentioned Elvis being interviewed for the special at Graceland at least once in these past 33 years.

If not Billy then someone who was around Elvis at the time would've mentioned them filming an interview with him at Graceland.

At least that's what I think

Thu May 20, 2010 8:27 am

Now, what we need to find out is, how did the specific rumor of Elvis getting interviewed by the pool get started?
Where did that come from? The rumor has never been that they interviewed him in his raquet ball court, or jungle room, or living room, or back yard, or trophy room, or the back office.....the rumor has always been specificl stated as by the poolside.
It makes you wonder if there if footage that is wasting away as we speak.
Couild it be that it came out so bad they ordered it never used?
Could it have been taped and erased over due to the contect or Elvis' condition?
Does CBS still have all the outtake footage or is this owned by EPE?

Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:Are Smith or Hemlon still alive? Have they ever commented publicly about about taping Elvis at Graceland?

Sadly, Dwight Hemion took his insight and knowledge to the grave a few years back. Any hopes of an interview from Dwight as part of a deluxe DVD reissue vanished. Perhaps Smith can be reached for some insight.

As others have mentioned, if there was indeed footage of Presley on the Graceland grounds during July of '77, it would have been used for the special unless he was completely out of it.

Thu May 20, 2010 9:34 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Well it does prove that they went to Graceland.

""He was performing extremely well" remembers producer Gary Smith".....yeah right

That was said in August 1977. So at the time the producer thought Elvis performed extremely well. But we, the fans, of course know better than anybody else. We have our own collective opinion.

Thu May 20, 2010 9:37 am

ekenee wrote:Now, what we need to find out is, how did the specific rumor of Elvis getting interviewed by the pool get started?
Where did that come from? The rumor has never been that they interviewed him in his raquet ball court, or jungle room, or living room, or back yard, or trophy room, or the back office.....the rumor has always been specificl stated as by the poolside.
It makes you wonder if there if footage that is wasting away as we speak.
Couild it be that it came out so bad they ordered it never used?
Could it have been taped and erased over due to the contect or Elvis' condition?
Does CBS still have all the outtake footage or is this owned by EPE?

It probably got started by some reporter who reported it in some magazine or newspaper article and it spread from there.
Of course the reporter that reported it had no source for such information and just printed it.

So many untrue stories about Elvis are all over the place it's hard to tell who specifially spreaded them.

For example one story about Elvis is that he dated actress Candice Bergen in the 70's.
I have no idea where that comes from but it's out there.

No, they didn't not show it because of Elvis' condition.

Look at Elvis' condition during the entire EIC special they would've showed the poolside interview if they had it.
Last edited by brian on Thu May 20, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 20, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks Doc, Well, I think our man is this alive, kicking and grabbing for Emmy's (100 Years of Hope/ 2003). You can find more details of our man Gary Smith overhere http://www.filmreference.com/film/43/Gary-Smith.html. He should be alive, although Elvis in Concert is not on his resumee, this must be the man.

There is also something else of interest: the article says the Special covers five cities including Cincinatti and Indianapolis. So there is a chance that the airport footage we have is not all, I would think. See also http://www.garysmithco.com/Biography.html

Maybe Doc, you can take it from here and contact Gary about what they exactly recorded back in July 1977. Would be interesting reading...

Thu May 20, 2010 10:20 am

midnightx wrote:As others have mentioned, if there was indeed footage of Presley on the Graceland grounds during July of '77, it would have been used for the special unless he was completely out of it.

I agree, but there are circumstances thinkable that made them not to use this material. There always is an opportunity that they left the interview out because Elvis was - so to say - a little bit 'sluggish'. It could be that the Colonel had some control over which footage to use and forced them not to use the Elvis at Graceland material because of Elvis not appearing that bright. In stead CBS got an exclusive interview with Vernon Presley in the months after Elvis' death. That kind of a deal I think is also a possibility. But that's all speculation of course...

Thu May 20, 2010 10:23 am

"I think we will feel the presence of Elvis Presley for many many more years to come" he said. "This will not be over in a few months"

That last bit of the newspaper is so damn true :wink:

Thu May 20, 2010 10:43 am

Until we get confirmation from Gary Smith himself, there really isn't any proof they interviewed (or even filmed Elvis walking around) at Graceland. Another thing - the contract stipulated that Elvis wasn't required to do anything outside of the actual concerts, did it not? I'm sure the good ol' Colonel would have asked for more money if they wanted to film EP at Graceland!

What the article does prove however, is that they would have gone ahead with the Special if Elvis had lived, and my understanding is that most of the editing was already done by the time of Elvis's death anyway. I highly doubt that they would have filmed another tour, or in Vegas - I'm not so sure CBS would have wanted to spend that much money on it.

Thu May 20, 2010 10:45 am

Luuk wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Well it does prove that they went to Graceland.

That was said in August 1977. So at the time the producer thought Elvis performed extremely well. But we, the fans, of course know better than anybody else. We have our own collective opinion.

Well Luuk, don't you think Gary Smith said this for publicity's sake... I think if he said that Elvis was physically a train wreck and performed quite poor he would proove very bad services for CBS putting the TV Special in a negative light...

Thu May 20, 2010 11:03 am

It would be interesting to know what was filmed at Graceland. We haven't seen any outtakes so far from there. EPE hasn't used any of that footage in it's projects, has it? The only thing they have used is the Indianapolis airport footage and Unchained Melody on Great Performances.