Re: "If I Can Dream" --> An Original by Bruno!

Sat May 15, 2010 12:35 am

Those EP pictures were not released back then so I cannot see any copying thing with gestures etc. You forget no internet back then??! All this comparison thing was done by mail. From a couple of days to a couple of weeks! Fax machines were invented in the 80s!!

Sat May 15, 2010 12:45 am

Juan Luis wrote:Those EP pictures were not released back then so I cannot see any copying thing with gestures etc. You forget no internet back then??! All this comparison thing was done by mail. From a couple of days to a couple of weeks! Fax machines were invented in the 80s!!

Well they have something like fax machines in "Hawaii Five 0" and that's early '70's !

Sat May 15, 2010 12:55 am

Dan_T wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Those EP pictures were not released back then so I cannot see any copying thing with gestures etc. You forget no internet back then??! All this comparison thing was done by mail. From a couple of days to a couple of weeks! Fax machines were invented in the 80s!!

Well they have something like fax machines in "Hawaii Five 0" and that's early '70's !
Yeah..you know what I mean. :) Ps. Very interesting Doc.

Sat May 15, 2010 1:07 am

Dan_T wrote:

Still, Juan's right.

And the more I listen to those Bruno album cuts, the less and less of an influence I hear there, too.

Kinda jumped the gun on this one. Oh, well. Happens sometimes.

Bruno is a pretty interesting singer, though -- at least over the course of these nice tracks.

Even if he barely made a dent in his time, I am reminded that the 60s was a time of great experimentation in popular music, and talent and innovation flowered in all directions.

So, OK, this Bruno fellah's tracks aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I don't think I could put up with his style long-term, but he has something going on. He's almost comically coarse, yet there's also a weird edge that comes through. At least, in my opinion.

One of my favourite forgotten singers from the 60s is a British baritone called Gary Miller. I made a thread about him a year or two ago. He's the chap that sang "Aqua Marina" at the end of Gerry Anderson's "Stingray". I have a "Best Of" compilation, and his voice just sounds so strong and clear. Just listen to this!! ---->>>>

phpBB [video]

One of his singles once sat in the UK Top 20 alongside offerings by Elvis, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis and Frank Sinatra , yet almost no-one remembers him today. Sad. This thread has brought some of that thrill of re-discovery and the romanticism of lost talents -- particularly those of the 60s -- back to me, and I thank DJC for that.

Sat May 15, 2010 7:50 am

Juan Luis wrote:Very interesting Doc.

Thanks, JL.

Whether the influence was great or subtle, Blye makes clear the singer and the album were known to Elvis, and that he heard the connection right then, in June 1968, watching Elvis sing "If I Can Dream."

Sat May 15, 2010 8:56 am

It's pure speculation whether or not Elvis was influenced by Bruno, Humperdink or Jones and the like.

One could add the names Goldennberg and Howes.

I would prefer that Elvis, alone , reached inside himself without undue copying of others.

Elvis might have only known Tony Bruno from all the extensive publicity in Billboard....without ever having heard his voice.
I note he never recorded an Bruno composition.

Sat May 15, 2010 9:27 am

Didn't Elvis work with the Tony Bruno orchestra at some point? I remember him introducing them and joking that with a name like Tony Bruno, he must be in the mafia???

Sat May 15, 2010 9:34 am

Joe Guercio has a more Mafia feel :D

Sun May 16, 2010 1:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The Billboard article notes the singer's debut in Las Vegas the year before:

A month-long, Oct 1967 engagement at the (New) Frontier Hotel! Talk about coincidences.

So ... did Elvis visit Las Vegas in Oct 1967?

On Oct 1 (Sun), he cut songs for MGM's "Stay Away, Joe" soundtrack in Nashville. Filming began on location in Cottonwood and Sedona, AZ on Oct 9 (Mon), and ran through until mid-Nov 1967. Perhaps he saw Bruno's act the the beginning of the month, or on the last weekend, Oct 28-29 (Sat-Sun), since Priscilla and the other wives came down for a visit a few days before.

Anyone know for sure?

Further research indicates Elvis was indeed in Las Vegas that month:

October
05 Thursday
Elvis holes up in Las Vegas for a few days before traveling to the Arizona location shoot for his new picture ...

Guralnick and Jorgensen, Elvis: Day By Day, p. 325

This is probably when he saw Bruno at the (New) Frontier.

Of course, this is "pure speculation." Not.

Sun May 16, 2010 2:19 am

Unless you know for a fact that Elvis saw this minor artist live on stage it is pure speculation.

I would hate the thought that Elvis copied this artists style. It kinda puts Elvis down.

Tue May 18, 2010 6:25 am

Check this out. A rare 1968 TV appearance by Bruno.

Moderator 1 wrote

Url removed as reports were received saying it was a defective link.

Sat May 22, 2010 6:36 am

Lot of soul in Bruno's work. Sounds like an African American singing these tunes. Almost like....our boy. I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure how much of an influence this guy had on Elvis but either way, I trust the Doc, he probably did see him live. Also, I just appreciate hearing something new that I haven't heard before. Even better! Unfortunately, I'm not seeing much by the way of cd for this Bruno guy. Unfortunate. I have yet to take the leap backwards and get myself a turntable.

Sat May 22, 2010 8:46 am

TkoTzer wrote:Lot of soul in Bruno's work. Sounds like an African American singing these tunes. Almost like....our boy. I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure how much of an influence this guy had on Elvis but either way, I trust the Doc, he probably did see him live. Also, I just appreciate hearing something new that I haven't heard before. Even better! Unfortunately, I'm not seeing much by the way of cd for this Bruno guy. Unfortunate. I have yet to take the leap backwards and get myself a turntable.

Thanks!

Tom Jones still seems to have had the most influence on what Elvis sounded like in June 1968 -- after all, he did see Tom just weeks before, in Vegas. But Elvis loved soulful singers, and Bruno does indeed offer that in spades.

If you want to hear the whole Bruno album, I provide a link to an mp3 download of it in my first post on page 1.

Sat May 22, 2010 10:39 am

Can anyone cofirm whether or not this is the same Tony Bruno who's orchestra worked with Elvis in November 71? On the ONE NIGHT ONLY CD, Elvis accuses them of being members of the Mafia :mrgreen:
Last edited by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man on Sat May 22, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Very interesting thread, folks. Thanks for the original post, Doctor!

Sat May 22, 2010 10:55 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:... this is the same Tony Bruno who's orchestra worked with Elvis in November 71?

Tony Bruno's Orcherstra has roots stretching back to the mid-forties, and the big band era. In the 1960s-1970s, they were still doing live dates in the Boston area in support of artists from Anita Bryant to Frank Sinatra. IIRC, the 1971 tour used a hired orchestra when Joe Guercio's group was unavailable.

KHoots wrote:Thanks for the original post, Doctor!

My pleasure!

Sun May 23, 2010 3:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:... this is the same Tony Bruno who's orchestra worked with Elvis in November 71?

Tony Bruno's Orcherstra has roots stretching back to the mid-forties, and the big band era. In the 1960s-1970s, they were still doing live dates in the Boston area in support of artists from Anita Bryant to Frank Sinatra. IIRC, the 1971 tour used a hired orchestra when Joe Guercio's group was unavailable.!

Thank you Doctor! Nice bit of info there. Who's the orchestra at the Garden in June 72? Sounds like "Joe Mailing/Mayling" or something?

Sun May 23, 2010 3:56 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Who's the orchestra at the Garden in June 72? Sounds like "Joe Mailing/Mayling" or something?

IIRC, Joe Guercio conducted the Joe Malin Orchestra.

Sun May 23, 2010 3:58 am

Aaah! Malin! Thanks. I wonder who they were? Joe was from new York. Wonder why he used an alternate set of musicians?

Sun May 23, 2010 4:03 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Wonder why he used an alternate set of musicians?

You recall who managed Elvis?

$$$

Sun May 23, 2010 4:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Wonder why he used an alternate set of musicians?

You recall who managed Elvis?

$$$

I guess you're right.

It probably explains the fooked-up ending on "Impossible Dream". Funny though ... despite that, it's still the best Elvis version out there! How on earth did Elvis do this kinda thing? There are many cuts with blunders, mistakes etc that one must overlook because otherwise they are perfect!

Sun May 23, 2010 12:41 pm

I don't know about anyone else but to my eyes and ears this Tony Bruno guy reminds me of Bobby Darin in some respects.

Sun May 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Daryl wrote:... to my eyes and ears this Tony Bruno guy reminds me of Bobby Darin in some respects.

Probably did so to Elvis, too.

Sun May 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Daryl wrote:I don't know about anyone else but to my eyes and ears this Tony Bruno guy reminds me of Bobby Darin in some respects.

Bobby had more style and charisma in his little toe nail than tony Bruno.

Mon May 24, 2010 9:58 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
Daryl wrote:I don't know about anyone else but to my eyes and ears this Tony Bruno guy reminds me of Bobby Darin in some respects.

Bobby had more style and charisma in his little toe nail than tony Bruno.

Yeah. I consider Bobby Darin one of the lost greats, no doubt in my mind.