Re: "If I Can Dream" --> An Original by Bruno!

Mon May 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Yeah. I consider Bobby Darin one of the lost greats, no doubt in my mind.

Not that lost -- a major film biography on Darin was released to theaters in late 2004:

Beyond The Sea
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363473/

Mon May 24, 2010 10:56 pm

It didn't do him justice Doc.

Any music fan SHOULDN'T be without these DVD classics!

Some of the finest performances i've ever seen! And what charisma!

Mon May 24, 2010 11:02 pm

No argument there.

Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:It didn't do him justice Doc.

And it promptly disappeared beyond the sea.

Tue May 25, 2010 1:18 am

Cryogenic wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:It didn't do him justice Doc.

And it promptly disappeared beyond the sea.

Actually, no.

Although not a broad success, "Beyond The Sea" received at least 4 award nominations in 2005:

Critics Choice Award: Best Soundtrack
Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy - Kevin Spacey
Grammy: Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media
Golden Reel Award: Best Sound Editing in Feature Film - Music - Musical

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363473/awards

Tue May 25, 2010 1:58 am

As a performer - Spacey was actually very good. I saw various TV spots he did around the release date, and he did some pretty charming renditions - certainly better than Michael "Boy-band-voice" Buble.

The film was, well, quite silly. They made it into a musical in the true sence of the word. Too artistic for a biopic. And Kevin was years older than Bobby when he died - and yet was playing him as a teenager!

And the actual facts were as acurate as The Buddy Holly Story (which even so, was a far more enjoyable flick).

Sandra Dee appeared (in the film) to have been around almost to the end. Bobby's other marriages were not even mentioned.

I was very let down because I had high hopes. There are a couple of wonderful documentaries on Bobby however, both on DVD, and for that I'm thankful. His life was a terrifically interesting if tragic one.