Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Wed May 12, 2010 9:32 pm

Jimmie Rodgers version > simple (because not a lot of instruments ) but great !

Wed May 12, 2010 9:33 pm

was it a famous song before elvis ?

Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 pm

tcb4 wrote:was it a famous song before elvis ?

Um, yes.

Elvis knew of it from the 1966 Rodgers single, or album release, on Dot Records.

Billboard - Jun 18, 1966
Jimmie Rodgers single of "It's Over" breaks the top 40, hitting #37

Billboard - Jun 25, 1966
Dot Records launches Rodgers LP ad campaign

Wed May 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Interesting just skimming over that chart list, of the songs we see there, Elvis ended up covering the song in mention It's Over aswell as You Don't Have to Say You Love Me and The Impossible Dream. Also does anyone know if the song 'He' we see at number 34 there by the Righteous Brothers is the same as the song we hear Elvis performing on a home recording in LA in the fall of 1960 with Red West and Nancy Sharpe?

Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 pm

hollandgroupc2008 wrote: Also does anyone know if the song 'He' we see at number 34 there by the Righteous Brothers is the same as the song we hear Elvis performing on a home recording in LA in the fall of 1960 with Red West and Nancy Sharpe?

I believe it is, good spot.

Thu May 13, 2010 1:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Dusty's recording is so ace it's odd it stayed in the vaults for 30 years. Her voice on that track is pure gold.

It is a nice rendition. And Dusty is a lovely singer. "Dusty In Memphis" in particular belongs in any record collection. However, I think her version of "It's Over" is a little too fast... just a hair too slow, fellas. It seems a little rushed in places compared to Elvis' version. Like Scott's version, it's very good. It's just that if you've heard Elvis sing it you don't need to hear it by anybody else. He puts more soul and feeling into the song than Jimmie, Dusty and Scott put together. He just nails the song and makes it his own. I also feel the arrangement on Dusty's version is a bit dull and soulless. Her voice was always fantastic but this is not one of her greatest moments in my opinion.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu May 13, 2010 1:53 am

Doc I like those old charts. Do you collect them?

Thu May 13, 2010 3:25 am

rickeap wrote:Doc I like those old charts. Do you collect them?

Only when they are relevant. Glad you enjoy them too!

Thu May 13, 2010 5:02 am

The beauty of the It's Over from Aloha performance, is not just Elvis' breathtaking vocal, but the subtle nods of the head, like he's remembering his marriage and the break-up. He puts you into his place, thus we can relate too the pain he's feeling. This is part of what made him so great, especially during 1972-73. Great thread Doc!

Thu May 13, 2010 5:30 am

Joe Car wrote:The beauty of the It's Over from Aloha performance, is not just Elvis' breathtaking vocal, but the subtle nods of the head, like he's remembering his marriage and the break-up. He puts you into his place, thus we can relate too the pain he's feeling. This is part of what made him so great, especially during 1972-73. Great thread Doc!

Thanks, Joe!

Thu May 13, 2010 5:52 am

aaah love this song. Dusty does an ok version with her husky voice. First time hearing Jimmy. Elvis indeed nails it, such feeling.
Good one doc

drjohncarpenter wrote:One of Elvis' finest later ballads was "It's Over."

A hit for its author, Jimmie Rodgers, in 1966, Dusty Springfield cut a beautiful version in 1968, although it stayed in the vaults for 30 years.

But, if one lays all three together, Jimmie's effort is pleasant, Dusty's vocal is purest, but Elvis' deep feeling is perfection.

The Orbison-esque finale in the Presley arrangement is a nice touch, too.

Elvis was a "heart" singer, and perhaps the best ever. It's unfortunate he never cut a studio version.

Listen for yourself!

phpBB [video]

Jimmie Rodgers - It's Over (1966)

phpBB [video]

Dusty Springfield - It's Over (recorded 1968, released 1999)

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley - It's Over (1972)

Thu May 13, 2010 6:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rickeap wrote:Doc I like those old charts. Do you collect them?

Only when they are relevant. Glad you enjoy them too!

I've got a few around the place...interesting looking back at when `good songs' were in the charts (I know, showing my age) and when charts did actually mean something.

Thu May 13, 2010 9:16 am

Classic song. I like Richmond as well - slightly different phrasing - it's amazing how enjoyable it is when you hear Elvis sing a song a little differently. One of the best phrasing (if that's a musical term) :) is on Thinking About You. I can't describe what he does as I am no musicologist but it is beautiful.

Thu May 13, 2010 1:35 pm

It's a great song, though not as good as My Boy.

Thu May 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Denman wrote:It's a great song, though not as good as My Boy.

Correct -- it is light years better than "My Boy" in every respect.

Fri May 14, 2010 1:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:If one is compelled to appreciate the jumpsuit era, one must put the red "Burning Love" outfit into a class of its own. That he substituted the solid gold, 1969 "International Hotel attendance record" belt was a master stroke.

Nah, it's a naff suit. Just too much. Jumpsuits looked real tacky when they were vivid or black. Just awful.

Obviously Messrs Adidge and Abel felt the same way as me as they only featured a few seconds of him in ON TOUR wearing this monstrosity. Obviously, the performances in that show were very worthy of inclusion - we can hear that on the CD. But visually, it's the first Santa suit.

Red suit ... gold belt? or White suit ... white belt? Mmmmm.... lemme see! Yep - I'll take the latter!

Fri May 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Nah, it's a naff suit. Just too much. Jumpsuits looked real tacky when they were vivid or black. Just awful.

Do enjoy your corner-case opinion.

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Obviously Messrs Adidge and Abel felt the same way as me as they only featured a few seconds of him in ON TOUR wearing this ...

No. They selected the footage based on the best performance they captured on film, and that, apparently, was the April 9 ES in Hampton Roads.

Sat May 15, 2010 8:18 am

I really like It's Over! Yes, Elvis was really a "heart" singer! Or, even a "soul" singer if you like! Even though I liked the song from the Aloha event, I must admit that the 72 version is the one I play these days! Still, a great song that Elvis really did well!

Sun May 16, 2010 8:54 am

The Rodgers original is quite surprising for anyone who's only familiar with the Elvis version. It took a good deal of thought to shift the song from the folksy, mid-tempo original into the slow, mounting epic Elvis essayed. If there were no other versions that had caught his eye, then it's remarkable how Elvis transformed the original--he saw something in it no one else did, something uniquely suited to his imperial phase.

The Springfield version oddly sounds much closer to Elvis's, at least in its phrasing. Had I not been told that it was unreleased I would have said Elvis took his cues from it. As it is, it's quite beautiful, especially at the end, which is as light and graceful as Elvis's is epic and grandiose.

Tue May 18, 2010 9:16 pm

Revelator wrote:The Rodgers original is quite surprising for anyone who's only familiar with the Elvis version. It took a good deal of thought to shift the song from the folksy, mid-tempo original into the slow, mounting epic Elvis essayed. If there were no other versions that had caught his eye, then it's remarkable how Elvis transformed the original--he saw something in it no one else did, something uniquely suited to his imperial phase.

The Springfield version oddly sounds much closer to Elvis's, at least in its phrasing. Had I not been told that it was unreleased I would have said Elvis took his cues from it. As it is, it's quite beautiful, especially at the end, which is as light and graceful as Elvis's is epic and grandiose.

Superb observations, Revelator.

Wed May 19, 2010 1:29 am

Hey Doc! Your Billboard charts: originals or Whitburn repros? Thanks for posting them, by the way. They're great to see!

Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 am

Mister Mike wrote:Hey Doc! Your Billboard charts: originals or Whitburn repros? Thanks for posting them, by the way. They're great to see!

Thanks. They are pretty cool.

Some are mine, some are from elsewhere.