Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 6:17 pm

I really love this song, with my favorite version being the slower paced Aloha. Either way you can't go wrong!

Tue May 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:I really like the version from "Red Hot In Richmond" -- great performance.

Rich

Yeah another classic rendition! Shame about the silly suit lol

Tue May 11, 2010 6:30 pm

genesim wrote:A great song. My only problem with Elvis at times is that he doesn't have proper diction. I guess it is part of his appeal, but for me it would be nice to be able to understand the words a little more clearly. Aloha was practically slurred for the sake of feeling.

It sounds a little more tightly articulated in the master, but I've never really had a problem with EP's diction, or understanding him. There are, however, lots of songs by other artists I need lyric sheets for. Nirvana and Muse come to mind as major examples.

Tue May 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
genesim wrote:A great song. My only problem with Elvis at times is that he doesn't have proper diction. I guess it is part of his appeal, but for me it would be nice to be able to understand the words a little more clearly. Aloha was practically slurred for the sake of feeling.

It sounds a little more tightly articulated in the master, but I've never really had a problem with EP's diction, or understanding him. There are, however, lots of songs by other artists I need lyric sheets for. Nirvana and Muse come to mind as major examples.

I am comparing him to Bing or Sinatra. His reading is all over the place...which I guess is his charm.

Still with Its Over, louder clearer interpretation could have helped with the performance IMHO.

Tue May 11, 2010 7:00 pm

I think the award to clearest most perfect diction on every single recording goes to Jim Reeves. Unfortunately Jim can't be here to accept the award in person so....

Tue May 11, 2010 7:17 pm

One of the greatest ballad singers ever, Scott Walker, also did a version of this song. Perfectly executed, it's still nowhere near as good and soulful as Elvis' masterpiece. I simply can not imagine anyone doing it better than Elvis.

phpBB [video]

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue May 11, 2010 7:29 pm

genesim wrote:Still with Its Over, louder clearer interpretation could have helped with the performance IMHO.

I respectfully disagree! In my opinion, the way he stumbles upon some of the words just adds to the feeling of despair Elvis puts into this song. There are many singers who have been able to match Elvis technically, but few of them have been able to LIVE the songs like Elvis did.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue May 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:I really like the version from "Red Hot In Richmond" -- great performance.

Rich

I, too, enjoy that rare performance.

And that CD cover is one of the best ever. What a kick-ass shot. We miss you, Madison.

Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Absolultely Doc! But i hate the vivid/dark colour jumpsuits! they look tacky and don't suit Elvis' skin tone. Whites and pastel colours all the way for the jumpsuits. In On Tour the powder Blue one looks ace, the dark blue one and red look horrid and the best is the white one - he looks damn cool there!

Tue May 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Absolultely Doc! But i hate the vivid/dark colour jumpsuits! they look tacky and don't suit Elvis' skin tone. Whites and pastel colours all the way for the jumpsuits. In On Tour the powder Blue one looks ace, the dark blue one and red look horrid and the best is the white one - he looks damn cool there!

If one is compelled to appreciate the jumpsuit era, one must put the red "Burning Love" outfit into a class of its own. That he substituted the solid gold, 1969 "International Hotel attendance record" belt was a master stroke.

Tue May 11, 2010 9:06 pm

It´s over is a great song and it has a special place in my heart as it was shown on swedish television on the 17th of august 1977. Devastating to watch on that dreadful day but still absolutely beautiful
One of the best performances from the Aloha show and also, IMO a song where the orchestral arragements really works out.

Lennart

Tue May 11, 2010 9:20 pm

Doc wrote:...1969 "International Hotel attendance record" belt was a master stroke.

I take the last part literally. But hey...thats Elvis.

Wed May 12, 2010 1:35 am

I'm curious why Elvis didn't perform this song more often, given how well it turned out.

Wed May 12, 2010 2:22 am

Revelator wrote:I'm curious why Elvis didn't perform this song more often, given how well it turned out.

As the decade progressed, ultimately something had to go in order to make room for stunners like Until It's Time For You To Go, Let Me Be There, If You Love Me (Let Me Know), Little Darlin', Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Your Mamma Don't Dance/Flip Flop And Fly/Hound medley, My Boy, extended Band Intros, etc....

Wed May 12, 2010 3:37 am

midnightx wrote:
Revelator wrote:I'm curious why Elvis didn't perform this song more often, given how well it turned out.

As the decade progressed, ultimately something had to go in order to make room for stunners like Until It's Time For You To Go, Let Me Be There, If You Love Me (Let Me Know), Little Darlin', Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Your Mama Don't Dance/Flip Flop And Fly/Hound medley, My Boy, extended Band Intros, etc....

Bad boy!

Wed May 12, 2010 3:45 am

Though i like the master version too, there is something to the Aloha version(s). One gets to see AND hear why Elvis is a 'heart' singer as the doc so eloquently put it. Look at all those different facial expressions within just 2.5 minutes.
He really lives that song, even acknowledging the backup singing with a smile, just to be immersed in the lyrics seconds later with the most serious and sad face in the world. He was indeed a singer of the heart.

Wed May 12, 2010 3:54 am

epf wrote:Though i like the master version too, there is something to the Aloha version(s). One gets to see AND hear why Elvis is a 'heart' singer as the doc so eloquently put it. Look at all those different facial expressions within just 2.5 minutes.
He really lives that song, even acknowledging the backup singing with a smile, just to be immersed in the lyrics seconds later with the most serious and sad face in the world. He was indeed a singer of the heart.

Now, this I agree with.

But, if you're going to go up against Jimmie, and especially Dusty, a perfect rendition is essential. And thus, the Feb 72 master was chosen.

Wed May 12, 2010 4:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:Though i like the master version too, there is something to the Aloha version(s). One gets to see AND hear why Elvis is a 'heart' singer as the doc so eloquently put it. Look at all those different facial expressions within just 2.5 minutes.

Now, this I agree with.

But, if you're going to go up against Jimmie, and especially Dusty, a perfect rendition is essential. And thus, the Feb 72 master was chosen.

No argument there.
But one really gets so to see why Elvis was a singer of the heart in those performances. The video adds to that effect.

Wed May 12, 2010 10:28 am

elvis-fan wrote:Great post Doc. One of my favorite versions of the song comes from the Richmond, VA show on April 10, 1972.

phpBB [video]

Great ending on this song! I would say the BEST version is from Jan.14,1973

Wed May 12, 2010 10:31 am

midnightx wrote:

As the decade progressed, ultimately something had to go in order to make room for stunners like Until It's Time For You To Go, Let Me Be There, If You Love Me (Let Me Know), Little Darlin', Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Your Mamma Don't Dance/Flip Flop And Fly/Hound medley, My Boy, extended Band Intros, etc....

Haha lol!! Although "My Boy" was good though. I like your humor friend!

Wed May 12, 2010 2:32 pm

"When Elvis sang a song, you just KNEW that the song was going through his mind. It wasn't just coming out of his mouth, but it was going through his mind, and affected his emotions when he sang. So many singers sing a song, and they're thinking about the way they're going to sing - the projection, the phrasing and so forth. When Elvis sang a song, it was just going through him, and it came out to the people that way. He was probably better at that than anybody that ever lived."

Jerry Scheff

Wed May 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Nice thread for an underappreciated 70's Elvis tune.

Wed May 12, 2010 6:41 pm

It is curious that there are very few comments on the Jimmie Rodgers original from 1966, or the lovely Dusty Springfield outtake from 1968. Did anyone give those a listen?

Jimmie's version is almost too serious, but good nonetheless. Dusty's recording is so ace it's odd it stayed in the vaults for 30 years. Her voice on that track is pure gold.

Anyone else?

Wed May 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Not into Rodgers, a'tall. The Dusty is a real fave, as all of her 63-74 recordings are for me. But I agree that Elvis outdid her on this one. Also love the Scott Walker version posted elsewhere on the thread.

Wed May 12, 2010 8:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is curious that there are very few comments on the Jimmie Rodgers original from 1966, or the lovely Dusty Springfield outtake from 1968. Did anyone give those a listen?

I posted a link to, and commented upon, the Dusty Springfield version recently. It's rather ethereal, yet passionate, and is an exquisite cover -- almost as effective, in its own way, as the Elvis version, in my opinion. The Jimmie Rodgers original is a fine piece of craftmanship, but definitely lacks the passion and involvement of the live Elvis renditions. However, it is the original, and deserves credit: e.g., as has been indicated in this thread, there's a certain poetry to the lyrics. In this vein, it strikes me as a little Hank Williams-ish. As such, it fits perfectly into the "Aloha" set list, sitting comfortably alongside "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" which is performed later into the show. Once again, we find the 70s Elvis thriving on fine pieces of country music, burrowing firmly into a genre that most thoroughly accommodates his emotional outlook at that stage of his life.
Last edited by Cryogenic on Wed May 12, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.