Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 2:51 am

Mister Mike wrote:Without the visuals (Guercio scrambling in the background) no one would even notice the slight intro 'screw up'.

If you know music, Elvis or otherwise, it's quite obvious. The visuals are not necessary a-tall.

Once again, that's why the superior 1972 master was chosen for this topic.

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 2:55 am

YDKM wrote:yes i like this thoughtfull song and agree the 1972 master is the best version, although i still like the version from Richmond 10.4.72 much as well. :wink:


Fascinating! I did not know (or completely forgot) that Elvis sang this apart from Vegas/Aloha/Tahoe.

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 2:59 am

Elvis Fan wrote:
YDKM wrote:yes i like this thoughtfull song and agree the 1972 master is the best version, although i still like the version from Richmond 10.4.72 much as well. :wink:


Fascinating! I did not know (or completely forgot) that Elvis sang this apart from Vegas/Aloha/Tahoe.

It was seldom performed at all, less than 20 times we know about. Elvis also ran it down in Kansas City in Nov 1971.

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 3:03 am

Doc, you are truly amazing! By the way, I have a question that I've always wanted to ask you. When and where did you get your PhD in Elvisology?
Thanks...

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 3:04 am

Elvis Fan wrote:Doc, you are truly amazing! By the way, I have a question that I've always wanted to ask you. When and where did you get your PhD in Elvisology?
Thanks...

You are too kind. I am just a fan, that's all.

Elvis was a pretty cool dude.

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 3:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis Fan wrote:Doc, you are truly amazing! By the way, I have a question that I've always wanted to ask you. When and where did you get your PhD in Elvisology?
Thanks...

You are too kind. I am just a fan, that's all.

Elvis was a pretty cool dude.


Humility...a great virtue to have!

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 3:08 am

midnightx wrote:As a ballad, it has everything substandard crap like My Boy doesn't -- a superior vocal, stronger lyrical content, tasteful arrangement, and a sharper melody.

Why haven't you ever mentioned that you don't like "My Boy" before?

"It's Over" is a beautifully performed ballad by Elvis and one of my favorite tunes that he ever did.

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 3:48 am

Elvis Fan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis Fan wrote:Doc, you are truly amazing! By the way, I have a question that I've always wanted to ask you. When and where did you get your PhD in Elvisology?
Thanks...

You are too kind. I am just a fan, that's all.

Elvis was a pretty cool dude.


Humility...a great virtue to have!

YES!

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 4:00 am

Elvis Fan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis Fan wrote:Doc, you are truly amazing! By the way, I have a question that I've always wanted to ask you. When and where did you get your PhD in Elvisology?
Thanks...

You are too kind. I am just a fan, that's all.

Elvis was a pretty cool dude.


Humility...a great virtue to have!


Yes, and the doctor has more of it, than anyone on this forum.

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 4:10 am

Rob wrote:
midnightx wrote:As a ballad, it has everything substandard crap like My Boy doesn't -- a superior vocal, stronger lyrical content, tasteful arrangement, and a sharper melody.

Why haven't you ever mentioned that you don't like "My Boy" before?

"It's Over" is a beautifully performed ballad by Elvis and one of my favorite tunes that he ever did.

I guess I felt awkward about it; being that so many millions of fans in the UK and Norway love the song....

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 5:14 am

"So I turn my back, turn my collar to the wind; move along in silence trying not to think at all..."

One would have to look long and hard to find more haunting lyrics than these. A great find for Elvis!

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 5:18 am

srlogicom wrote:"So I turn my back, turn my collar to the wind; move along in silence trying not to think at all..."

One would have to look long and hard to find more haunting lyrics than these. A great find for Elvis!

Indeed. A perfect match of singer and song!

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 5:27 am

Great post Doc. One of my favorite versions of the song comes from the Richmond, VA show on April 10, 1972.

phpBB [video]

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 7:15 am

srlogicom wrote:"So I turn my back, turn my collar to the wind; move along in silence trying not to think at all..."

One would have to look long and hard to find more haunting lyrics than these. A great find for Elvis!

Absolutely. Great portion of the lyric.

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 7:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It was seldom performed at all, less than 20 times we know about. Elvis also ran it down in Kansas City in Nov 1971.


Oh, Elvis performed it quite a few times in 1971, in Vegas. You might want to add those performances to your list, John.

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 7:46 am

Ken Jensen wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It was seldom performed at all, less than 20 times we know about. Elvis also ran it down in Kansas City in Nov 1971.


Oh, Elvis performed it quite a few times in 1971, in Vegas. You might want to add those performances to your list, John.

Why don't you compile a complete list since you seem to have expert insight into the number of times It's Over was performed?

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 9:26 am

midnightx wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It was seldom performed at all, less than 20 times we know about. Elvis also ran it down in Kansas City in Nov 1971.


Oh, Elvis performed it quite a few times in 1971, in Vegas. You might want to add those performances to your list, John.

Why don't you compile a complete list since you seem to have expert insight into the number of times It's Over was performed?


There is more than just the FECC messageboard on the internet, X boy. You will find out how much Its Over has been performed.

Sarcastic m.r.n. (plus two ´o´)

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 9:30 am

It is always so strange that bootlegs sound better than Sony product

Seems like Vic and Ernst don't have clue between them :D

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 9:48 am

The 1972 version is quite simply,flawless

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 12:13 pm

Interview with Jimmie Rodgers
http://www.classicbands.com/JimmieRodgersInterview.html

Q-Did you know Elvis?

A - Oh, sure. I knew him very well. He was at Twentieth Century Fox when I was out there. In fact, I looked a lot like him. I was smaller, but, we had the same kind of look in those days. They had talked at one point of maybe having me play his brother in a film. He recorded a song I wrote called 'It's Over'. He had that in his album he did in Hawaii in the 60's. I met him many times. He came to see me at the Moulin Rouge in Los Angeles when I worked there. He was really quiet. A nice guy.

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 1:55 pm

midnightx wrote:Why don't you compile a complete list since you seem to have expert insight into the number of times It's Over was performed?

The guy is like the gnat at a picnic you can't get rid of. Falling into the total I cited above, less than ten performances of "It's Over" are known from summer 1971, mostly from the International.


keninlincs wrote:The 1972 version is quite simply,flawless

YES!


tcb4 wrote:Interview with Jimmie Rodgers
http://www.classicbands.com/JimmieRodgersInterview.html

Q-Did you know Elvis?

A - Oh, sure. I knew him very well. He was at Twentieth Century Fox when I was out there. In fact, I looked a lot like him. I was smaller, but, we had the same kind of look in those days. They had talked at one point of maybe having me play his brother in a film. He recorded a song I wrote called 'It's Over'. He had that in his album he did in Hawaii in the 60's. I met him many times. He came to see me at the Moulin Rouge in Los Angeles when I worked there. He was really quiet. A nice guy.

I've seen this interview. Rodgers was at 20th Century Fox in 1958, he was a part of Jerry Wald's "The Long, Hot Summer." Elvis probably saw him at the Moulin Rouge in Los Angeles that same year.

Rodgers might have been up at one point for a role in 1960's "Flaming Star," which was originally supposed to be about two brothers.

On the night of Buddy Holly's second appearance on Ed Sullivan, Rodgers also was on the bill, and sang at least one tune. Holly was a tad better, doing a manic version of "Oh Boy."

I love rock 'n' roll.

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Of the versions DJC posted, Elvis' is -- by far -- the most emotional (though they're all great cuts). Since I'm more familiar with the iconic "Aloha" version, hearing the 1972 master was almost like hearing it anew. I had those same goosebumps during the end. Terrific! Where did Elvis come up with that dramatic crescendo finish, by the way? I'd say that that's one of the best uses of his strong baritone ("near operatic") voice, as well as his backing singers. You can hear the clanging of dinner plates in that recording at the beginning, but that ending must have woken the punters up! Forks shall be shaken, glasses shall be broken. A song day, a red day, ere Elvis sings!

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 2:20 pm

The best non-Elvis version is Glen Campbell. But Elvis nails it to the wall, adds rivets and welds it there permenantly.

The feb 72 version is gorgeous!

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 4:55 pm

I really like the version from "Red Hot In Richmond" -- great performance.


Image


Rich

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Tue May 11, 2010 6:14 pm

A great song. My only problem with Elvis at times is that he doesn't have proper diction. I guess it is part of his appeal, but for me it would be nice to be able to understand the words a little more clearly. Aloha was practically slurred for the sake of feeling.

Then again, it could just be the limitation of the recording equipment...which of course may still be Elvis fault. The problem is that Tom Parker "technical adivsor" would never go as far to investigate such trivial matters.