"It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Mon May 10, 2010 11:00 pm

One of Elvis' finest later ballads was "It's Over."

A hit for its author, Jimmie Rodgers, in 1966, Dusty Springfield cut a beautiful version in 1968, although it stayed in the vaults for 30 years.

But, if one lays all three together, Jimmie's effort is pleasant, Dusty's vocal is purest, but Elvis' deep feeling is perfection.

The Orbison-esque finale in the Presley arrangement is a nice touch, too.

Elvis was a "heart" singer, and perhaps the best ever. It's unfortunate he never cut a studio version.

Listen for yourself!

phpBB [video]

Jimmie Rodgers - It's Over (1966)

phpBB [video]

Dusty Springfield - It's Over (recorded 1968, released 1999)

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley - It's Over (1972)

Re: "It's Over" --> Elvis Was A "Heart" Singer

Mon May 10, 2010 11:10 pm

I thought ann and nancy wilson were the singers of heart.... :lol: ..just kidding..I do like "it's over" but I also like the other song called "it's over" done by Roy Orbison as well,not sure which one i think is better..even thouigh they are two seperate songs they both are sung very well...

Mon May 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Despite coming in too early (and giving Geurcio a panic attack) Elvis absolutely nails this in Aloha. His expressions are priceless.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:18 pm

I kind of like the early version (from before aloha) a little bit better..his voice is slightly more powerful and less nervous in that version...although his speech is a little bit more slurred..just slightly though.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:22 pm

Elvis's version is the best...by far!

I love this version but I prefer the Aloha version...probably because I can see him singing the song.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:24 pm

If time where not a moving thing....

This song was quite poignant in the Elvis By The Presleys documentary, classic latter day Presley. Although the version from Vegas '72 is the superior version than the Aloha one, his vocal is sublime.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:27 pm

It's Over is one of his 70's performance highlights. As a ballad, it has everything substandard crap like My Boy doesn't -- a superior vocal, stronger lyrical content, tasteful arrangement, and a sharper melody.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:46 pm

Amazing how much crap gets into the UK top 5...

Mon May 10, 2010 11:46 pm

midnightx wrote:My Boy -- a superior vocal, strong lyrical content, tasteful arrangement, and a sharp melody.

You just described "My Boy" perfectly. Thank you!

Mon May 10, 2010 11:48 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:
midnightx wrote:My Boy -- a superior vocal, strong lyrical content, tasteful arrangement, and a sharp melody.

You just described "My Boy" perfectly. Thank you!

Only in Fantasy Land and Norway Ken!

Mon May 10, 2010 11:49 pm

You can add UK to that list. And the rest of Europe. Probably most of America too.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:51 pm

elvisjock wrote:Despite coming in too early (and giving Guercio a panic attack) ...

Yes, I noted that a while back on FECC, which is why I chose the superior Feb 1972 master recording for my example.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 am

Love this song,Elvis' vocal is full of emotion and it does remind me of the Big O as well
Doc!

norrie

Tue May 11, 2010 12:47 am

norrie wrote:Love this song,Elvis' vocal is full of emotion and it does remind me of the Big O as well
Doc!

The "bolero" style finale is straight out of the Orbison songbook. Either Presley or Guercio came up with adding it, not sure which.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:50 am

And I thought Elvis was a "gut" singer, just like Vikki Carr!
Seriously though, great song, great performance, nice thread.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:And I thought Elvis was a "gut" singer, just like Vikki Carr!
Seriously though, great song, great performance, nice thread.

Thanks.

He was a "gut" singer once in a while, like on Sep 27, 1974.

Tue May 11, 2010 1:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Despite coming in too early (and giving Guercio a panic attack) ...

Yes, I noted that a while back on FECC, which is why I chose the superior Feb 1972 master recording for my example.

The Aloha version is much superior, and a better recording technically.

Hope this helps.

Steve Morse

Tue May 11, 2010 1:16 am

I thought in the Fall of 74 he became a "Paunch" singer LOL. I like the " It's over that Elvis did but i think the song and vocal pales in comparison to Roy orbison's song. And yes i know they were different songs
SNG ::rocks

Tue May 11, 2010 1:32 am

It's Over, was always one of my very favourites from the Aloha show, fantastic !

Tue May 11, 2010 1:48 am

Steve Morse wrote:The Aloha version is much superior, and a better recording technically.

Fascinating.

Unfortunately, the sad reality is that a song where the introduction is screwed up cannot be "much superior."

Again, this is why the 1972 RCA master, with properly rendered introduction was used for this topic.

Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 am

yes i like this thoughtfull song and agree the 1972 master is the best version, although i still like the version from Richmond 10.4.72 much as well. :wink:

Tue May 11, 2010 1:58 am

YDKM wrote:yes i like this thoughtful song and agree the 1972 master is the best version ...

Well, you must have ears!

Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 am

I have VERY 'good' hearing! and i also like the Lake Tahoe 6.5.73 M/S version as well!~ 8)

Tue May 11, 2010 2:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Unfortunately, the sad reality is that a song where the introduction is screwed up cannot be "much superior."

Without the visuals (Guercio scrambling in the background) no one would even notice the slight intro 'screw up'. I only noticed it when I finally got to compare it with the rehearsal version.

Tue May 11, 2010 2:18 am

They placed Elvis' Aloha version on TV news in Australia the night he died, which just adds to the poignancy of the performance for me.