Re: From Elvis In Memphis: "And Now The Secret Is Out"

Wed May 05, 2010 3:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Many subscribe to the idea that SUN 209, "That's All Right" b/w "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is THE beginning (1954).

Only the hugely ignorant!

Please, let's not derail the topic with such piffle.

Post subject: From Elvis In Memphis: "And Now The Secret Is Out"

How about a comment on-topic? Thank you.

Seet Jesus...you are the one who derailed your own topic :D

On topic comment.
We already know that Elvis was outstanding during these sessions. I don't need a critic to form my views.

Wed May 05, 2010 5:49 am

That rock founding discussion could go on forever and it often does. Suffice to say, it's not as sweet and clean as some of the Elvis mythology would have it but three's lots to be said for perception of the big boom.

brian wrote:
norrie wrote:
FEIM has always had it's share of critics since it was released

Well you for one

Yes, that's right

That makes about two people here (you , Brian, which I had forgotten about, and "Swingin', unless I"m mistaken...and about 2 or 3 other souls who frequent that land of malcontents that is ElvisNews...

It is embarassing to admit that, sorry. At least I'm somewhat defensive when I defend , say, "Girl Happy" or "Spinout" for their respective merits. Putting down FEIM seems like an admission in musical shallowness, to be blunt.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:29 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:That rock founding discussion could go on forever and it often does. Suffice to say, it's not as sweet and clean as some of the Elvis mythology would have it but three's lots to be said for perception of the big boom.

brian wrote:
norrie wrote:
FEIM has always had it's share of critics since it was released

Well you for one

Yes, that's right

That makes about two people here (you , Brian, which I had forgotten about, and "Swingin', unless I"m mistaken...and about 2 or 3 other souls who frequent that land of malcontents that is ElvisNews...

It is embarassing to admit that, sorry. At least I'm somewhat defensive when I defend , say, "Girl Happy" or "Spinout" for their respective merits. Putting down FEIM seems like an admission in musical shallowness, to be blunt.

I don't find it embarassing people like what they like and dislike whatever they dislike.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:30 am

Oh, I accept that, sure and am just giving you a good natured ribbing, just like anyone who comes out for, say, a "Spinout" or "Girl Happy" soundtrack might expect to take some guff for going off-script from the consensus view.

But you mean to tell me you don't like "From Elvis In Memphis"? :shock:

Admittedly, I've had my run with it (20-plus years ago) but always do return to much of it and its incarnations. I'm surprised an Elvis fan wouldn't find some good to say about at least the great singles it spawned during those historic sessions...

Wed May 05, 2010 6:37 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:But you mean to tell me you don't like "From Elvis In Memphis"? :shock:

Admittedly, I've had my run with it (20-plus years ago) but always do return to much of it and its incarnations. I'm surprised an Elvis fan wouldn't find some good to say about at least the great singles it spawned during those historic sessions...

I think the album is okay.

However, I did start a thread awhile back presenting my point of view that From Elvis in Memphis has been overrated especially by the die hard fans.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:41 am

Oh yeah, THAT thread.

I thought posting that thread (and I said it at the time) was unnecessarily contrarian and intended to whip up discussion based on one solitary opinion.

I still have to say "over-rated" compared to what? If anything, many of the casual fans out there do NOT know this album and the RCA/ Legacy 2009 reissue was right on target - if facing a bit of a heavy lift..

Wed May 05, 2010 6:57 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Oh yeah, THAT thread.

I thought posting that thread (and I said it at the time) was unnecessarily contrarian and intended to whip up discussion based on one solitary opinion.

I still have to say "over-rated" compared to what? If anything, many of the casual fans out there do NOT know this album and the RCA/ Legacy 2009 reissue was right on target - if facing a bit of a heavy lift..

It's my genuine view that I thought would make for a good thread and debate so that's why it was started by me.
After all that's what this board needs is discussions.

A lot of die hard fans and rock critics rate the album very highly to them it's the best session Elvis ever did bar none except maybe the Sun Sessions, and I don't agree with that.

Of course the album is not known by the general public or casual fans because they usually only know about 10-15 songs that Elvis recorded.

Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 am

Well presented post and a good read Doc, thanks.

Thu May 06, 2010 3:36 am

A lot of die hard fans and rock critics rate the album very highly to them it's the best session Elvis ever did bar none except maybe the Sun Sessions, and I don't agree with that.

Of course the album is not known by the general public or casual fans because they usually only know about 10-15 songs that Elvis recorded

True Brian ,but you brought it up here,on an Elvis fans forum stating that it was overrated.
That has nothing to do with casual fans.
Still,you are entitled to you're opinion which is fine with me.

norrie

Thu May 06, 2010 4:00 am

This absolutely rocks my sould. An astounding review. Great researching Doc.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:55 am

I just uploaded the review pages in larger size.

Now they are even easier to read and savor.

Enjoy!

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:32 am

Thank you for reposting, Doc.

Peter would have likely been even more blown away if, at that point, he'd heard Stranger In My Own Hometown, Without Love and Suspicious Minds. As it was so often with Elvis, his work would be viewed with more respect had there been less product, not more. Think of how much stronger FEIM might have been had it included the above titles, along with Kentucky Rain and Don't Cry Daddy. It could have been Elvis' precursor to a monster album like Thriller.

As an aside, the backstory is probably one of the first times a scholarly account and analysis of Elvis' early days appeared in print.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:23 am

Another excellent topic! Thanks Doc you always keep FECC's fire burning!

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:23 am

Don't want to revive any turbulence, but saying it's "overrated" is like saying Michaelangelo's "David" is "overrated."

rjm
P.S. -- And as Johnny Rotten once growled, I "mean it, man!"
Last edited by rjm on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Great read, thanks. Interesting to see what was being reviewed at the same time and FEIM at the top of the pile. Some interesting reviews on this site rateyourmusic.com. Interesting site that I've just stumbled across after reading this thread. Huge amount of EP reviews (not just fans) including FTD.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/elvis_presley/from_elvis_in_memphis/reviews/1

::rocks

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:44 pm

thanx Doc......

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Good review,
One can tell Peter in mostly a blues guy from the tracks he singles out in his review, heaping praise on 'Power Of My Love' and 'I'll Hold You In My Heart' (which deserve it, mind you). Yet, at the same time he passes over 'Any Day Now', one of the great vocal performances of Elvis's career, as "pleasing enough in this vein".

I often get the feeling from Guralnick's writing that he has no taste for ballads. His writing about 'Are You Lonesome Tonight?' was let's say "less than effusive", and he also dismissed 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' as being overpowered, which I personally think misses the point of Elvis's take on the track. Simon interprets the 'Bridge' as a thing of comfort, Elvis as a thing of strength, hence the muscular vocal.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's all good.

Many subscribe to the idea that SUN 209, "That's All Right" b/w "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is THE beginning (1954).

Others say it is CHESS 1458 and "Rocket 88" b/w "Come Back Where You Belong" (1951).

My vote is split between these two phenomenal releases.

Coincidentally, both were taped at 706 Union by a man named Sam Phillips.

Great article on FEIM which I have only now caught up on. Thank you Doc for posting these kind of threads.

Another strong contender for first Rock'n'roll record is Fats Dominos 1949 release 'The Fat Man' which wasn't much different in style to his later 50's work. However it was SUN209 that would lead up to 'the big bang' within two years with 'Heartbreak Hotel' The only artist that could be considered coming before ON THE WORLD stage would be the previous but short lived king of r'n'r Bill Haley. 'Rocket 88' 'The Fat Man' etc. just didn't make it internationally.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:10 pm

Elvis shares the "founding father" Rock and Roll with several people, but he will forever own "First Rock Star."

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:12 am

elvisjock wrote:Elvis shares the "founding father" Rock and Roll with several people, but he will forever own "First Rock Star."

So the mobbing of Bill Haley in London was just an illusion?

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:24 am

elvisjock wrote:Elvis shares the "founding father" Rock and Roll with several people, but he will forever own "First Rock Star."

That was actually Lord Byron.

rjm
P.S. Here you go:

Wikipedia wrote:CelebrityByron is considered to be the first modern-style celebrity. His image as the personification of the Byronic hero fascinated the public,[15] and his wife Annabella coined the term "Byromania" to refer to the commotion surrounding him.[15] His self-awareness and personal promotion are seen as a beginning to what would become the modern rock star; he would instruct artists painting portraits of him not to paint him with pen or book in hand, but as a "man of action."[15] While Byron first welcomed fame, he later turned from it by going into voluntary exile from Britain.[24]

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1BA0552020B49A48

Above is a playlist:
This is the first video in it:
phpBB [video]

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:41 am

brian wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:But you mean to tell me you don't like "From Elvis In Memphis"? :shock:

I think the album is okay.

However, I did start a thread awhile back presenting my point of view that From Elvis in Memphis has been overrated especially by the die hard fans.

And then, this happened to you, virtually: :smt021

Very few people would agree, but if having a very eccentric opinion makes the world go 'round, feel free. Don't expect applause, though. Have you seen the raves on amazon? For just one place (we've seen another) . . . it's darn near universal.

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Memphis-Leg ... 188&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Memphis-Pre ... 273&sr=1-2

Look at ANY release of this record, in just about any incarnation . . .

Check out the "average" customer review score!

From Barnes & Noble:
bn.com Editorial Review wrote:Editorial Reviews - From Elvis in Memphis [Legacy Edition]
All Music Guide
One of the undisputed classic LPs of the rock & roll era, From Elvis in Memphis certainly deserves a deluxe expanded reissue -- and in a sense it received it more than once. Released in June of 1969, the 12-track From Elvis in Memphis received a sequel almost immediately when a full LP of material from the same sessions appeared as half of From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis, a double-LP set released a mere five months after From Elvis, commemorating both the inauguration of Presley's historic four-week stand at the International Hotel in Las Vegas and the success of the album itself. That second album was released individually as Back in Memphis a year later, marking the first recycling of sessions that were repackaged numerous times, most of them enjoyable, two of them quite exceptional: 1987's double-LP The Memphis Record, which collected highlights from the sessions, and 1999's Suspicious Minds, which presented them in full, complete with alternate takes. With all these releases on the market, a deluxe edition wasn't necessarily needed -- all the sessions were available, no bonus tracks seemed to exist -- but when the double-disc, 36-track Legacy Edition appeared on the 40th anniversary of the album's 1969 release, it was welcome. It's a handsomely produced package, graced with very good liner notes by Robert Gordon and Tara McAdams and featuring plenty of photos, but the chief attraction of this Legacy Edition is its sequencing. Of all the reissues of these 1969 sessions, this is the most compulsively listenable, presenting the From Elvis in Memphis album in its entirety on the first disc followed by four bonus tracks (including "I'll Be There" and "Hey Jude"), leaving the second disc devoted to Back in Memphis and the ten singles released from this session -- including "In the Ghetto," "Any Day Now," "Suspicious Minds," "Rubberneckin'," and "Kentucky Rain" -- in their original mono masters. There's nothing new, nothing surprising, just Elvis' arguably best recordings in a definitive reissue, which is reason enough to have this music reissued again. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine

But hey, the Sistine Chapel must have annoyed somebody!

rjm
::rocks

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Thanks Doc... Really enjoy these articles.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:22 am

Here's a very nice summation of the album I just found, by Mojo critic Jim Irvin:

Jim Irvin, The Mojo Collection: The Greatest Albums of All Time (Edinburgh: Canongate Books, August 9, 2001)

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:36 am

Thank you, John. Enjoyable read! :D

rjm

Sent via mobile