Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:09 am

Mike C wrote:
VOC wrote:It's worth to note Springsteen has played "Fire" himself live many times over the years. A great version can be found on the "Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street band Live 1975-1985" box. Would love to hear the original studio cut too!

Ask and ye shall receive:

phpBB [video]

Note the way Bruce's phrasing is similar to Elvis' style. The bridge and some other lyrics remain a work in progress, though. Personally, I love the guitar solo.

Doc, great post of the Bruce picture and article. Perhaps, Bruce was carrying a copy of this demo with him across the country in the summer of 1977.

Thanks for posting this, DJC. Personally, I love the Pointer Sisters version but....thanks for posting.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Mike C found the YouTube link. But I am very happy this topic has garnered so many intresting and intelligent replies! Yay Bruce! Yay Elvis!!

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Mike C found the YouTube link. But I am very happy this topic has garnered so many intresting and intelligent replies! Yay Bruce! Yay Elvis!!

The Doc is right on his praise of Elvis and Bruce - for those of you who never got to see Elvis, if Bruce ever comes near where you live, I highly recommend you buy a ticket the day they go on sale. You will experience a concert like no other on the road today - Springsteen and his band are...On Fire! 8)

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:36 pm

For the album cover of ''Born To Run'', Springsteen had two demands.

1. Clarence Clemons on the cover
2. Elvis Presley on the cover

Both demands can be seen. Clemons partial. A button of Elvis. Even more, a official fanclub button.

" Elvis is my religion. But for him, I'd be selling encyclopedias right now. "
-- Bruce Springsteen

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:51 pm

3577 wrote:For the album cover of ''Born To Run'', Springsteen had two demands.

Both demands can be seen. Clemons partial. A button of Elvis. Even more, a official fanclub button.

-- Bruce Springsteen

Big Man was not partially seen on the original LP cover, IF you folded it out. He was fully visible in profile. Really a symbol of friendship..!

paulsweeney wrote:.. if Bruce ever comes near where you live, I highly recommend you buy a ticket the day they go on sale. You will experience a concert like no other on the road today - Springsteen and his band are...On Fire! 8)

Of course, we should have experienced him and the band on the Darkness tour. A totally awesome tour, judged by the bootlegs.
I attended my first Bruce show in Stochholm in 1988 (hating, just HATING, to miss the Ullevi/Gothenburg shows 3 years prior).
Even these days, I think he blows most rock acts away!? In recent history, I saw him/them in Oslo in 2003, at Giants in 2003, in Oslo December 2007 & 2008 and in Bergen last year. I'm being highly partial/biased, yes, and I haven't even seen others acts in recent years (apart from the legendary Swede Ulf Lundell last July), but - hey - as incredibly well as he and the band performs, who MIGHT top them??

I guess every time I attend a Bruce show, I think, like, "If only I had a time travel device and could see Elvis...".

Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:27 am

3577 wrote:For the album cover of ''Born To Run'', Springsteen had two demands.

-- Bruce Springsteen

Very cool, nice to see Elvis on the cover, way to go, Bruce!!! :) Cliff Richard did the same with his 'I'm Nearly Famous Now' album :)

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:49 pm

two Bruce Elvis related songs

Johnny Bye Bye

She drew out all her money from the Southern Trust
And put her little boy on a Greyhound Bus
Leaving Memphis with a guitar in his hand
On a one-way ticket to the promised land
Hey little girl with the red dress on
There's party tonight down in Memphis down
I'll be going down there if you need a ride
The man on the radio says Elvis Presley's died

We drove down into Memphis, the sky was hard and black
Up over the ridge came a white Cadillac
They'd drawn out all his money and they laid him in the back
A woman cried from the roadside "Ah he's gone, he's gone"
They found him slumped up against the drain
With a whole lot of trouble running through his veins
Bye-bye Johnny
Johnny bye-bye
You didn't have to die
You didn't have to die

and a somewhat hardly finished mostly spoken word song he played a couple of times in the mid-90s -

I'm Turning Into Elvis

kissed the babysitter
She screamed and I told her it was just the beast in me
And on my way out of the house I shot out my TV
I went down to the corner luncheonette and said
Sally "fried peanut butter and banana will do"
I'm turning into Elvis and there's nothing I can do

I threw out my wife and family I took off my wedding ring
I told my friends and neighbors to refer to me now as "King"
I put a chainlink fence around my ranch house and on the gate a sign that reads "Graceland II"

I visited my mama's grave and I headed out to Hollywood and I signed a picture with MGM I play a rebellious beachboy racecar driver who **** a nun in the end
In the last scene I whip out my big guitar and show her a little Memphis-style kung-fu

But I drove on straight to Vegas and I stopped in the first old stripper bar
Found me a little hooker that looked just like Ann-Margaret and we rumba'd in my sports car
Well me and my drinking buddies turned my lovin' home into a frikkin' zoo

Well he came to me last night in a dream looking just like he did in '57
He said "Son that guitar is a wonderful thing but it can be the living devils' friend
On the other hand there's sex-starved women, millions of dollars, and anything you want to do."

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Mike C found the YouTube link. But I am very happy this topic has garnered so many intresting and intelligent replies! Yay Bruce! Yay Elvis!!

Thanks for the hat tip, Doc!

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:30 am

My pleasure. This topic has been a joy!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Dear VOC (and everyone)

I just moved and all my books & Backstreets (Strictly Elvis, ELVIS WORLD etc) are all piled up in one room until I can build some shelves.

Here is the link for the cover of BACSTREETS #80:

http://www.backstreets.com/Merchant2/me ... y_Code=110

did you want me to scan just the cover or all the pages?....I can do that if you want (once the shelves get put up....they have been cut, and stained).

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:31 pm

brad wrote:Here is the link for the cover of BACKSTREETS #80:

http://www.backstreets.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BR&Product_Code=BBI80&Category_Code=110

did you want me to scan just the cover or all the pages?....I can do that if you want (once the shelves get put up....they have been cut, and stained).

Please scan whatever you think is best. It will be great for people to read more about the Elvis-Bruce connection!

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:22 am

Still get a kick out of Bruce singin "Viva Las Vagas" From "The Last Temptation of Elvis"......

A big fan of the Boss, seen him twice ,....Years ago had a mega Vinyl bootleg collection with some cool Elvis tunes on them sung by Bruce!...all gone now because of all the "new" Elvis stuff...cds,photo books etc

This is all thats left......."Never" part with my "Born in the USA" LP
.....also the painting I made of mr Springsteen.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:10 am

You have an amazing collection!

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:29 am

VEGAS74 wrote:Still get a kick out of Bruce singin "Viva Las Vagas" From "The Last Temptation of Elvis"......

A big fan of the Boss, seen him twice ,....Years ago had a mega Vinyl bootleg collection with some cool Elvis tunes on them sung by Bruce!...all gone now because of all the "new" Elvis stuff...cds,photo books etc

This is all thats left......."Never" part with my "Born in the USA" LP
.....also the painting I made of mr Springsteen.....

Nice pic, Vegas '74. Is your "Live '75/'85" box set the cd, tape or vinyl version?

By the way, Bruce's version of "Viva Las Vegas" is avilable on the special disc included in the original pressing of "The Essential Bruce Springsteen."

Personally, my favorite version of "Johnny Bye-Bye" (then know as "Bye Bye Johnny") is conatined on the Night for Vietnam Verteran's show making the rounds as "Written on the Wall" on cd-r from August 20, 1981.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 am

its the cd version.....when I parted with my Springsteen collection.....this was a keeper!!!!

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:58 pm

I'll scan BACSTREETS as soon as the shelves go up and I can get some order to the new house.

Have you guys seen the photo of Bruce playing in Vegas (on the Reunion Tour 99-00) he opened and closed the show with VIVA LAS VEGAS....and he had a cape??!!! ha ha!

I'll dig that one up too!

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:38 pm

brad wrote:I'll scan BACSTREETS as soon as the shelves go up and I can get some order to the new house.

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated. 8)

And yes, the cape photo would be a thrill to check out too.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:02 am

My deck and roof have 34 inches of show (which has now been shoveled off)....haven't got the shelves up yet...spending all of our time emptying the buckets where the snow is dripping in. But in clearing a place so that there is no water damage to the books/collection....I found Springsteen's "cape" photo from Vegas.
issue 67 Vegas Page 1.jpg

issue 67 Vegas Page 2.jpg

Setlist:
Viva Las Vegas
Prove It All Night
Two Hearts
Be True
Darlington County
Atlantic City
The River
Youngstown
Murder Inc.
Badlands
Out in the Street
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Roll of the Dice
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Born in the U.S.A.
Can't Help Falling in Love
Backstreets
Light of Day
First Encore:
Lucky Town
Bobby Jean
Born to Run
Second Encore:
Thunder Road
If I Should Fall Behind
Land of Hope and Dreams
Ramrod
Viva Las Vegas

I have an "Ok" audience recording of the show if anyone is interested.

I will Post the Bruce/Elvis article later this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:07 am

brad -- thanks a bunch!

This is the only show where Bruce opens AND closes with "Viva Las Vegas."

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks a million, Brad!!

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:34 pm

I put the whole pages of the magazine so folks not familiar with Bruce's shows could see how much he varies his set list from night to night. I saw back to back shows in Pittsburgh on that REUNION TOUR and he did something like 21 songs the first night and 24 the 2nd...of those, 22 were different.

Here's the first batch of the BACKSTREET article....May not get them all in today.

Front and back covers:
Front Cover issue 80.jpg

Back cover issue 80.jpg

about the cover.jpg

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:37 pm

The first 2 spreads

Page 1.jpg

Page 2.jpg

Page 3.jpg

Page 4.jpg

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Page 5.jpg

Page 6.jpg

Page 7.jpg

Page 8.jpg

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Awesome!!! Thanks again, Brad!

I'll start reading these asap...btw are those Elvis pics with a guitar from the actual Philadelphia '77 show?

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Page 9, 10, 11 and 12
Page 9.jpg

Page 10.jpg

Page 11.jpg

Page 12.jpg