Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 am

Matthew wrote:
midnightx wrote:Had Elvis survived and was able to institute a management change shortly thereafter, the 80's could have been a bright spot for him. There is no doubt that a long line of top-notch producers and artists would have jumped at the chance to collaborate with him. His insular and shielded career was in a sense orchestrated by Tom Parker and RCA - had he been liberated from those strong confines, some great things could have occurred.

I kinda cringe at the thought of Elvis Presley 1980s recordings. In reality had he lived I expect we would have a bunch of 80s pop production synth piano ballads, or some tired throwback to the 50s rock 'n' roll recordings that seemed to plague many of the 50s recording stars during that decade. The 80s seemed to become this pit where across the board many vocal legends sunk or nearly sunk during this time.

Hey, it would have been a departure, it would have been different. Even a few gems would have been a thing to embrace, particularly since Promised Land was the last dazzlying single unleashed to the public. Not everything was destined to be a success, but the tried and tired formula of misguided A&R, directionless sessions, and substandard songs buried beneath Jarvis' misguided production hand, wasn't going to do Elvis' legacy and career any favors during the new decade.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:58 am

Knowing how BIG an ONJ fan he was and how he covered a couple of her songs he would have been like Meatloaf in Them God awful jumpsuits on stage in the 1980's Singing "Physical" LOL And That a Sickning Picture to imagine? LOL
SNG ::rocks

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:In the summer of 1977, Bruce Springsteen was working on a new album. It was a pivotal moment, his first recordings following a very difficult legal mess with his former manager. That July he took a break, riding his motorcycle across the country as the sessions were shifted from New York's Atlantic Studios to the Record Plant.

Rolling Stone published an article on Bruce's status in its August 11 issue.

One photo stands out:

Note the T-shirt: it's Elvis!

Bruce had seen Presley in May at the Spectrum in Philadelphia and was stunned by Elvis' unwell appearance and uneven performance. "It was not a good night," as he discretely recalled. Friends say Springsteen privately shared the concern of many fans about Presley's health and future. It almost seems like the worry is evident in this July photo on the road.

Inspired, Bruce completed a song tailor-made for Elvis called "Fire," a homage to Elvis' great early-sixties Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman singles "His Latest Flame" and "Suspicion." But the demo -- if sent -- never made it to Graceland.

After Elvis' tragic death, the song went elsewhere. Bruce's 1977 version remained in the vaults, while Robert Gordon cut a killer rendition with Link Wray (and Bruce, uncredited, on piano) that December, and a pop single by the Pointer Sisters hit #2 on the charts in 1979.

Elvis would have loved both recordings, Gordon's rockabilly roots so rooted in the early Presley sound, and his appreciation for the Pointer Sisters stretching back at least to 1975, and his cover of their single of the year before, "Fairytale."

The Darkness on the Edge of Town album, issued in June 1978, would be rightfully heralded as perhaps the best sustained work of his career, and the tour that year is now debated as the greatest in the history of rock 'n' roll.

Coincidence? I say not.

Interesting premise Doc...having never had the chance to see Elvis perform, I remain content knowing that when I see Springsteen in concert, it is always a fantastic performance!

Walking up the stairs to start the show and walking down the stairs and heading to his limo after his show
in Philadelphia on May 28, 1977 - Bruce Springsteen and Steven Van Zandt attended this show
Sadly, but diplomatically, Bruce in 1978 recalled "It was not a good night"
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... may77.html

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:41 am

On the one hand we would have seen the continuing of a return to his rockabilly and r&b roots, like some of his best studio cuts 1975-1976 hinted towards, and on the other hand he would have continued for a few years on the slightly disco-flavoured path, à la "Moody Blue". This is as far as the late 70s are concerned.

What he would have done in the 80s. Who knows? Probably music would have taken on a different course, had Elvis not died. Everything is a reaction to a previous reality, so Elvis living on and producing new music would have made its impact on the wider music business and pop culture.

A lot would have depended on the reception of his new tour and especially his physical and mental appearance in the upcoming concerts. Make or break. Especially considering the book "Elvis, What Happened?" having been released just 15 days before his death. Had he survived that, the scrutiny of critics and journalists, had he gotten away with that, then I think he would have gotten a real self-confidence boost from it and the matter of pride would have set in. "They think I'm strung-out and can't get myself out of it. I'll show 'em". It could have been just the kind of shot in the arm Elvis needed at this point. The toughest challenge of his life. He wouldn't have to hide anymore, once the truth was out. That could have lifted a lot of weight off his shoulders. And of course he could have corrected the errors in the book by giving an historic prime time interview, à la Frost-Nixon.

The 28-5-77 Elvis show Bruce attended can be listened to in its entirety here:

http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.co ... /1977.html

("Looking For The Light In Philadelphia" cd-r)

Amazing, since the shows Elvis did in Binghampton on 26th and 27th of May are considered good ones and he did end the tour with another good one, recently released on "Last Stop in Mobile". But of course on the 29th there was the infamous Baltimore show where Elvis had to leave the stage. Up and down, indeed. Bruce happened to catch Elvis at a down moment.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:32 am

VOC wrote:It's worth to note Springsteen has played "Fire" himself live many times over the years. A great version can be found on the "Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street band Live 1975-1985" box. Would love to hear the original studio cut too!

I am reliably informed that the [unfinished] studio version of Fire can be found on a bootleg called The Lost Masters 2, but the sound isn't the best - and neither is Bruce.

About the Graceland incident, Bruce has said that it was very stupid of him "because I hate it when it happens to me now" .

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:36 am

About the Graceland incident, Bruce has said that it was very stupid of him "because I hate it when it happens to me now"

:D

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:06 pm

jeanno wrote:
About the Graceland incident, Bruce has said that it was very stupid of him "because I hate it when it happens to me now"

:D

He was young and wanted to see his hero. I think we all can relate to that!

Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Mike C wrote:Ask and ye shall receive:

phpBB [video]

Note the way Bruce's phrasing is similar to Elvis' style. The bridge and some other lyrics remain a work in progress, though. Personally, I love the guitar solo.

Doc, great post of the Bruce picture and article. Perhaps, Bruce was carrying a copy of this demo with him across the country in the summer of 1977.

Thanks a lot Mike for posting that! After listening to this, I have to somewhat agree with Colin. The live version is much better, I know this is basically a demo and work in progress but first, the tempo is way too fast and second, the vocals clearly needed more work. I'll stick with the live cut, which has excellent dynamics and much better singing by Bruce.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Although it's sold out.....issue #80 of Backstreet is all about the Elvis/Bruce connection. They printed my letter to the editor in issue #81 thanking them for it.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:51 pm

brad wrote:Although it's sold out.....issue #80 of Backstreet is all about the Elvis/Bruce connection.

Could you scan it for us to see? Would be very interesting.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:49 pm

A few weeks ago I had the oppurtunity to see Robert Gordon and the Gang They Couldn't Hang in concert. His live version of "Fire" was outstanding. If you get a chance, go see his show. Chris Spedding is an incredible guitar player as well. The setlist was loaded with songs Elvis made famous and covered. He performed Suspiscion, Little Sister and even The Fool.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: Elvis made a joke about how Eric could take a few lessons from James Burton sometime. Maybe this is why ol' Eric fails to mention this meeting.

When Eric appeared on that 1985 TV Special with George, ringo, dave Edmunds and Carl Perkins - Carl Perkins whooped Claptons ASS with his guitar playing in my opinion!!! Absolutely phenominal stuff! His solo of "The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise" is amazing!

Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:15 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Elvis made a joke about how Eric could take a few lessons from James Burton sometime. Maybe this is why ol' Eric fails to mention this meeting.

When Eric appeared on that 1985 TV Special with George, ringo, dave Edmunds and Carl Perkins - Carl Perkins whooped Claptons ASS with his guitar playing in my opinion!!! Absolutely phenominal stuff! His solo of "The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise" is amazing!

Most likely Clapton was "holding back" so he wouldn't upstage a legend. Clapton is known to have great respect for his elders and pioneers that came before. Sorry, but Perkins doesn't have half the guitar arsenal Clapton does.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:50 am

midnightx wrote:Sorry, but Perkins doesn't have half the guitar arsenal Clapton does.

Especially now!

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:Sorry, but Perkins doesn't have half the guitar arsenal Clapton does.

Especially now!

Exactly. Where's Colin when you need him?

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:14 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:

That 1985 TV Special was cool and here's a great potion it where they jam on a few Elvis tunes. George Harrison's cops Scotty More and Clapton pulls out a neat solo on Blue Moon of Kentucky.

phpBB [video]

And. here's Eric and Carl with Johnny Cash playing Matchbox in 1970:

phpBB [video]

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:15 am

VOC wrote:
Mike C wrote:Ask and ye shall receive:

phpBB [video]

Note the way Bruce's phrasing is similar to Elvis' style. The bridge and some other lyrics remain a work in progress, though. Personally, I love the guitar solo.

Doc, great post of the Bruce picture and article. Perhaps, Bruce was carrying a copy of this demo with him across the country in the summer of 1977.

Thanks a lot Mike for posting that! After listening to this, I have to somewhat agree with Colin. The live version is much better, I know this is basically a demo and work in progress but first, the tempo is way too fast and second, the vocals clearly needed more work. I'll stick with the live cut, which has excellent dynamics and much better singing by Bruce.

You're quite welcome. Yes, the live versions are much better but I like the demo because of its loose feel.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:19 am

It's likely a much more polished recording of "Fire" is in the Springsteen vault. It's probably the one sent to Robert Gordon and the Pointer Sisters, where the bridge is completed.

The live performances in 1978 and 1980-81 are tremendous. Heck, a version in San Jose just over eight months ago brought down the house. It's yet another classic from the pen of Bruce Springsteen!

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:20 am

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Especially now!

Exactly. Where's Colin when you need him?

I'm around.

Whatcha want ?

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's likely a much more polished recording of "Fire" is in the Springsteen vault. It's probably the one sent to Robert Gordon and the Pointer Sisters, where the bridge is completed.

Perhaps we'll get to hear it on a Tracks 2?

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:35 am

Tracks 2 would be a perfect collection for a completed studio master of "Fire."

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:13 am

Wonder why "Fire" wasnt encluded on " Darkness..." Yeah the album is strong but i believe Fire should have made it.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:30 am

scottngeorgia wrote:Wonder why "Fire" wasnt encluded on " Darkness..." Yeah the album is strong but i believe Fire should have made it.

Springsteen made VERY deliberate choices as to what went on the album.

It was not about hit singles for Bruce. He wanted a unified artistic statement.

It's there, on all four corners of the record:

A1 = Badlands
A5 = Racing In The Street
B1 = The Promised Land
B5 = Darkness On The Edge Of Town

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/albums/darkness.html

Potential HIT songs known to be recorded, but left in the vault:

Don't Look Back
Rendezvous
Because The Night
Fire
Sherry Darling
I Wanna Be With You
Talk To Me

Not too many artists, then or now, would ever do such a thing.

But Bruce had greater plans.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
scottngeorgia wrote:Wonder why "Fire" wasnt encluded on " Darkness..." Yeah the album is strong but i believe Fire should have made it.

Springsteen made VERY deliberate choices as to what went on the album.

It was not about hit singles for Bruce. He wanted a unified artistic statement.

It's there, on all four corners of the record:

A1 = Badlands
A5 = Racing In The Street
B1 = The Promised Land
B5 = Darkness On The Edge Of Town

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/albums/darkness.html

Potential HIT songs known to be recorded, but left in the vault:

Don't Look Back
Rendezvous
Because The Night
Fire
Sherry Darling
I Wanna Be With You
Talk To Me

Not too many artists, then or now, would ever do such a thing.

But Bruce had greater plans.

Did he rerecord Sherry Darlin' for The River? and is it live or recorded to sound like there is an audience? Thanks in Advance

Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:32 am

scottngeorgia wrote:Did he rerecord Sherry Darlin' for The River? and is it live or recorded to sound like there is an audience?

Yes -- it is a studio performance on The River.