Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:12 pm

There is a fantastic bootleg of Bruce titled AMERICAN MADNESS where you can here the Boss singing in the studio (out-)takes of FIRE. The song could have been part of the DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN but was finally rejected. The album remains part of Bruce's greatest release, if not his very best.

It's a shame that Elvis did not meet Bruce and I'm pretty sure that, living in his own private world of darkness, Elvis never gave a spin to such an important rock album as BORN TO RUN, released two years before his death.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:24 pm

jeanno wrote:
It's a shame that Elvis did not meet Bruce and I'm pretty sure that, living in his own private world of darkness, Elvis never gave a spin to such an important rock album as BORN TO RUN, released two years before his death.


I'm pretty sure this type of music wasn't Elvis' bag. He probably heard it via the Stanley boys but didn't care for it. I'm sure he did hear it, or about it though.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:43 pm

midnightx wrote:
scottngeorgia wrote:Didnt Elvis meet Clapton one time and did not know who he was?

That's the rumor. Clapton, however, does not mention any such meeting in his revealing autobiography.

It's not a rumour.

Eric Clapton met Elvis after his Sunday, July 28, 1974 shows in Memphis.

Via a connection to Jerry Schilling, EC was invited to watch a few movies at the Memphian with Elvis and his entourage.

Jerry was not able to convey to Presley how well-regarded Clapton was and, in a brief conversation, Elvis made a joke about how Eric could take a few lessons from James Burton sometime. Maybe this is why ol' Eric fails to mention this meeting.

Presley might have enjoyed Clapton's Memphis set lists on this first leg of his 1974 U.S. tour. These were the songs played at those Sunday shows:

Smile
Easy Now
Let It Rain
Willie and the Hand Jive / Get Ready
Tell the Truth
I Can't Hold Out
Badge
I Shot The Sheriff
Layla
Crossroads

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:16 pm

there was also an allegation that Elvis wasn't aware of who Elton John was - false. He uses Elton's name when he dons oversize glasses during a 1975 concert.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:18 pm

If only he had heard "Born To Run" in 1975.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:50 pm

VOC wrote:It's worth to note Springsteen has played "Fire" himself live many times over the years. A great version can be found on the "Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street band Live 1975-1985" box. Would love to hear the original studio cut too!


Ask and ye shall receive:

phpBB [video]



Note the way Bruce's phrasing is similar to Elvis' style. The bridge and some other lyrics remain a work in progress, though. Personally, I love the guitar solo.

Doc, great post of the Bruce picture and article. Perhaps, Bruce was carrying a copy of this demo with him across the country in the summer of 1977.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Jerry was not able to convey to Presley how well-regarded Clapton was and, in a brief conversation, Elvis made a joke about how Eric could take a few lessons from James Burton sometime. Maybe this is why ol' Eric fails to mention this meeting.

Yeah, I know the story. Clapton's book isn't some large ego-trip, and if anything, he would have looked back at the story in an amusing way. Most likely, he doesn't remember (he was in quite the drunken fog during that era) because it would have been interesting to have read his recollections of such a meeting.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:18 pm

Here's the story in audio as Bruce told the audience in Frankfurt during the "Born In The USA"-Tour. It's only an - excellent - audience recording, but nonetheless an audience recording. It's followed by a nice version of Elvis's closing concert song...

You'll find the story here... http://www.sendspace.com/file/kbqc93 and the song there... http://www.sendspace.com/file/vytofi.

Here's also the cover of the bootleg audience recording of the former mentioned Memphis concert on April 29th 1976 (below).

I think it's a good concert, but Springsteen was far better on December 31st 1975 in Philadelphia. Btw you can find nine tracks in superb sound of that event on "Live To Run". It can't sound any better than that one.

Enjoy it for it is.

Joern
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Joern wrote:Here's also the cover of the bootleg audience recording of the former mentioned Memphis concert on April 29th 1976 (below).

I think it's a good concert, but Springsteen was far better on December 31st 1975 in Philadelphia. Btw you can find nine tracks in superb sound of that event on "Live To Run". It can't sound any better than that one.

Enjoy it for it is.

Joern


As much as I love the 12/31/75 24-track recordings (including "Mountain of Love"), I'lll take Bruce at Wintlerand 12/15/78 or at the Roxy 7/7/78 or numerous other Darkness shows to the Philadelphia show. Indeed, the Roxy has Bruce covering Heartbreak Hotel while his guitar is re-tuned near the end of the second set.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:33 pm

GREAT contributions, my friends. THIS is why FECC is so damn cool.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:
scottngeorgia wrote:Didnt Elvis meet Clapton one time and did not know who he was?

That's the rumor. Clapton, however, does not mention any such meeting in his revealing autobiography.

It's not a rumour.

Eric Clapton met Elvis after his Sunday, July 28, 1974 shows in Memphis.

Via a connection to Jerry Schilling, EC was invited to watch a few movies at the Memphian with Elvis and his entourage.

Jerry was not able to convey to Presley how well-regarded Clapton was and, in a brief conversation, Elvis made a joke about how Eric could take a few lessons from James Burton sometime. Maybe this is why ol' Eric fails to mention this meeting.

Presley might have enjoyed Clapton's Memphis set lists on this first leg of his 1974 U.S. tour. These were the songs played at those Sunday shows:

Smile
Easy Now
Let It Rain
Willie and the Hand Jive / Get Ready
Tell the Truth
I Can't Hold Out
Badge
I Shot The Sheriff
Layla
Crossroads


I'd like to think that Clapton would have good-naturedly replied, "You're right," when Elvis bragged on James.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:GREAT contributions, my friends. THIS is why FECC is so damn cool.


Thanks, Doc. And yes they are. Thanks for starting this thread.

Let's keep it going with this question. Suppose, for argument's sake, Elvis heard "Fire" and decided to cut it. It becomes a major hit and Elvis goes back to Bruce for a few more tunes. What tunes between 1978 and 1982 do you think Bruce would have offered the King?
Personally, I could see Bruce offering Elvis "Hearts of Stone" and "You Can Look But You Better No Touch".

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Who knows, Springsteen was such a prolific writer and perhaps, would have composed material specifically for Elvis. Looking at what he issued on The River, there is a ton of material on that album that Elvis could have nailed to perfection (assuming Jarvis wasn't producing!).

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Keep'em coming Doc! This is what "All Elvis" should be about! Great stuff!

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:47 pm

bajo wrote:Keep'em coming Doc! This is what "All Elvis" should be about! Great stuff!

Yes!

You can trust the DOC to keep it on what's important!!


Mike C wrote:Suppose, for argument's sake, Elvis heard "Fire" and decided to cut it. It becomes a major hit and Elvis goes back to Bruce for a few more tunes. What tunes between 1978 and 1982 do you think Bruce would have offered the King?

Bruce would have done just about anything for Elvis, no doubt.

Of known Springsteen songs from this period:

1977-78
Factory
Iceman ... first person, dramatic -- Elvis loved this kind of material
Rendezvous ... Charlie supplies the harmony
Spanish Eyes

1979-80
Cadillac Ranch
Fade Away
From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)
Chain Lightning
Chevrolet Deluxe ... imagine the Burton solo on this

1981-1982
Atlantic City
Used Cars ... Elvis could relate
Child Bride ... Elvis could really relate!
Pink Cadillac ... Elvis could totally relate!!
I'm On Fire
I'm Goin' Down
A Good Man Is Hard To Find
My Love Won't Let You Down
Wages Of Sin

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Thinking of Johnny Cash in his later years and The American Recordings, I have often let it spin in my mind that if Elvis had lived, something might have happened regarding picking songs from the Springsteen songbook! It's just a thought! We can always dream, can't we?

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:27 pm

Had Elvis survived and was able to institute a management change shortly thereafter, the 80's could have been a bright spot for him. There is no doubt that a long line of top-notch producers and artists would have jumped at the chance to collaborate with him. His insular and shielded career was in a sense orchestrated by Tom Parker and RCA - had he been liberated from those strong confines, some great things could have occurred.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 pm

jbnva58 wrote:Had Elvis survived 1977,by 1985 he would have been very aware of Bruce.Many of the songs on "Born In The USA"seem tailored made for Elvis,especially "Workin On The Highway","Darlington County","Im On Fire",and "Glory Days".
All supposition,of course.


I would imagine that "Downbound Train" would be the track from this album that would stand out most to Elvis...

Axe

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:17 am

Cadillac Ranch, of course.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:30 am

deleted

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:10 am

As much as I love the 12/31/75 24-track recordings (including "Mountain of Love"), I'lll take Bruce at Wintlerand 12/15/78 or at the Roxy 7/7/78 or numerous other Darkness shows to the Philadelphia show. Indeed, the Roxy has Bruce covering Heartbreak Hotel while his guitar is re-tuned near the end of the second set.


You're right. Those Winterland & Roxy concerts are absolutely brilliant. I love them both dearly!

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:20 am

VOC wrote:It's worth to note Springsteen has played "Fire" himself live many times over the years. A great version can be found on the "Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street band Live 1975-1985" box. Would love to hear the original studio cut too!

Grab a bootleg...

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bajo wrote:Keep'em coming Doc! This is what "All Elvis" should be about! Great stuff!

Yes!

You can trust the DOC to keep it on what's important!!


Mike C wrote:Suppose, for argument's sake, Elvis heard "Fire" and decided to cut it. It becomes a major hit and Elvis goes back to Bruce for a few more tunes. What tunes between 1978 and 1982 do you think Bruce would have offered the King?

Bruce would have done just about anything for Elvis, no doubt.

Of known Springsteen songs from this period:

1977-78
Factory
Iceman ... first person, dramatic -- Elvis loved this kind of material
Rendezvous ... Charlie supplies the harmony
Spanish Eyes

1979-80
Cadillac Ranch
Fade Away
From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)
Chain Lightning
Chevrolet Deluxe ... imagine the Burton solo on this

1981-1982
Atlantic City
Used Cars ... Elvis could relate
Child Bride ... Elvis could really relate!
Pink Cadillac ... Elvis could totally relate!!
I'm On Fire
I'm Goin' Down
A Good Man Is Hard To Find
My Love Won't Let You Down
Wages Of Sin

I can hear Elvis rock on "From Small Things,Mama (Big Things Are What They Come)", once recorded by Dave Edmunds, and on the LP "Cover Me" (a compilation of some of the Bruce songs cut by others).
If Elvis had recorded Bruce songs, I think he would have re-arranged them quite a bit. I consider many of the rock songs to me TOO much rock for Elvis.
On the other hand, Bruce himself did versions that are often MILES away from the released version. The other day, I listened to a C&W-ish outtake of "Candy's Room" (on the "American Madness" Darkness outtakes bootleg). That was fun!

Also keep in mind that Bruce has GIVEN away songs that other artists probably could have "killed" for. So no doubt he would have provided material to Elvis.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:45 am

None of the songs listed would have been too rock oriented for Elvis. Springsteen's production was so pure and natural, it is easy to imagine Elvis' vocals transposed onto the tracks.

Re: Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:47 am

midnightx wrote:Had Elvis survived and was able to institute a management change shortly thereafter, the 80's could have been a bright spot for him. There is no doubt that a long line of top-notch producers and artists would have jumped at the chance to collaborate with him. His insular and shielded career was in a sense orchestrated by Tom Parker and RCA - had he been liberated from those strong confines, some great things could have occurred.

I kinda cringe at the thought of Elvis Presley 1980s recordings. In reality had he lived I expect we would have a bunch of 80s pop production synth piano ballads, or some tired throwback to the 50s rock 'n' roll recordings that seemed to plague many of the 50s recording stars during that decade. The 80s seemed to become this pit where across the board many vocal legends sunk or nearly sunk during this time.