Gold-Spangled Elvis (1976) -- Complete!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, drjohncarpenter, Site Mechanic

James27
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Gold-Spangled Elvis (1976) -- Complete!

Post by James27 »

Do I have to take a wild guess ?

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I'm sorry for the delay in posting to this thread....
A really nice find Doc, thanks so much. It's a nice article and it is very well written. As I recall the concerts I attended in 1976 I have to say the review is honestly presented.

Your efforts, posts, and obvious hard work throughout FECC is much appreciated by me and many. Thanks very much. ::rocks

rlj

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

rlj4ep wrote:I'm sorry for the delay in posting to this thread....
A really nice find Doc, thanks so much. It's a nice article and it is very well written. As I recall the concerts I attended in 1976 I have to say the review is honestly presented.

Your efforts, posts, and obvious hard work throughout FECC is much appreciated by me and many. Thanks very much. ::rocks

rlj
Your kind words make my day brighter, thank you.

I am a bit surprised this 1976 show review from the #1 rock 'n' roll magazine has seemingly garnered fewer than a hundred views of the actual article. You will not find it online anywhere else, I scanned it from my personal archive. Harper Barnes was an intelligent fan who saw the show for exactly what it was, and what it was not. And notice he makes no rude mentions of Presley's weight or outfit. He's more interested in the man, his music, and its impact on the gathered fans in St. Louis. Given the flurry of excitement here recently about a few "new" 1976 shows surfacing on the audience-recorded bootleg circuit, I wonder why members are avoiding an even-handed look at the performance. In many ways it is a reality check, but done with professionalism.

The entire 3-22-1976 show from the Keil Auditorium in St. Louis is online, so anyone may hear what Barnes experienced that night:

This would be the last show where Elvis had Shane Keister (piano) and Larrie Londin (drums) in the band. Londin is really excellent, he played exactly as Presley wanted, but with the added enthusiasm of being a new member of the band. Keister had enough, and left, never to return. Also, this is apparently the last time Elvis delivered a cover of "Let Me Be There" in concert. It is somewhat restrained, but his affection for the 1973 Olivia Newton-John hit still shines through. Sorry, midnightx.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Harper Barnes was an intelligent fan who saw the show for exactly what it was, and what it was not. And notice he makes no rude mentions of Presley's weight or outfit. He's more interested in the man, his music, and its impact on the gathered fans in St. Louis.
Thanks Doc. I like what you said in the quote I lifted above. Mr. Barnes is totally objective and doesn't allow his own personal thoughts to interfere with his purpose for being at the show. When it comes to Elvis we all have our particular likes and dislikes. Personally I grow weary of those who have written about Elvis who have personal agendas or come from a clearly subjective perspective. I prefer to know the truth, but presented with an solid sense of objectivity. Barnes accomplishes this in his review.

Thanks also for the opportunity to hear the performance. Very kind of you.

rlj

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

Thanks for posting Doc and taking the time to scan it for us.

An interesting contemporary take; it shows that by 1976 Elvis was indeed a rock n roll 'obelisk' - fans went to see him more out of reverence than relevance. Barnes is also very kind to Elvis' declining ability to perform, mentioning weight problems and inside problems, but not speculating on the causes, and gently suggesting that the gathered ensemble is behind the power of the performance.

promiseland
Registered for: 13 years

Post by promiseland »

Thanks for posting the article. This has been a very enjoyable topic to follow .

arnaudbxl
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

This is one of the most interesting (and humorous) concert review I've read. Obvious the critic noted some worrying points here, but with an "all doors are still open for the future" mindset, which is refreshing.

I personnally really love the concerts where Larrie Londin play the drums, he brought something so enthusiat in his play, the one in Cincinnati is really excellent.

Thanks for sharing Doc!