Re: In Praise Of Elvis Presley (1971) -- Complete!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Sometim es it seems Paul Simon's middle name is Envy. Still, he's written some great songs, made some wonderful records.

Sheesh, ain't that the truth. As much as his best work is to be admired, there is always something like "The Boxer" to undercut it. Unfortunate. Did he really have to do that? Sing - and in the sheet music(!), "lie. lie lie lie lie lie lie lie." Cruel and insensitive to a person he did not understand and of whom he was jealous. So I don't put much weight to his often negative comments.

rjm

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:48 pm

Buzzz. What about the article: was it found in Elvis's "effects"? I do not think Marcus gave a citation. I always found this signicant.

rjm
Happy Holidays!

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44 am

I uploaded a larger version of the original page scan. Enjoy!

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:09 am

"The Magnificence of Presley's performance lies in its presentation of him as royalty"

That pretty much sums up Aloha for me !

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:07 am

rjm wrote:BUZZZZ. BUzzzzzzz. Paging Dr. Carpenter: did "they" find this article in Elvis's "personal effects" and where is Marcus's source, do you think?

Merry Christmas!!! :smt114

rjm
::rocks

Sorry I missed this query. I've no idea if the 1971 review was a part of his personal collection.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:BUZZZZ. BUzzzzzzz. Paging Dr. Carpenter: did "they" find this article in Elvis's "personal effects" and where is Marcus's source, do you think?

Merry Christmas!!! :smt114

rjm
::rocks

Sorry I missed this query. I've no idea if the 1971 review was a part of his personal collection.

That's ok. It's in one of the many revisions of the end-notes to Mystery Train. I've got ALL of 'em, and I have to find which one, and scan that in. I don't know where he read that. Thanks. Doctors ALWAYS answer their page, and you did! :D

rjm

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:57 pm

A great review! This article also offers an answer to the question why Elvis in the 70s still is such an attraction to fans - despite the fact that he 'made better records in the 70s'. This article explains exactly why the 70s Elvis has become such a strong icon which eventually survived the '77 Elvis. What a revealing read...

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Here's the article on one page in high resolution and better to read than the one drjohncarpenter posted originally...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Dan_T wrote:"The Magnificence of Presley's performance lies in its presentation of him as royalty"

That pretty much sums up Aloha for me !

It is basically in one phrase what the 70s were all about and why Elvis has become such an iconic figure.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:39 am

Liked seeing an article like this for a change. Thanks !! :D

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:34 am

This has always been one of my favourite articles on Elvis - I remember the first time I read it how much I enjoyed it, and it was great to read it again today. I missed this two years ago when Doc originally posted it, so a belated thanks Dr. J

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:47 am

Thank you for all the kind words.

I uploaded (again) even larger-sized versions of the 1971 original and the 1977 edit.*

In reading the latter, it is clear that the editors at the magazine in 1977 must have asked Jon Landau to do an edit of his original piece. There are too many changes for it to be a simple edit by an underling.

* Thanks for your upload too, Joern.