Re: For epf: Felton Jarvis Hits, 1970-1976

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:20 am

midnightx wrote:
brian wrote:What about Find out what's happening?

Asleep at the wheel....

Correct -- the vocal just isn't there.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:22 am

It is on my CD. I can hear him loud and clear.

You should get a refund.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:31 am

Rob wrote:It is on my CD. I can hear him loud and clear.

You should get a refund.

Maybe you need new headphones.

His vocal is poor, aka "not there," thus exclusion from my requested listing.

Turning it up louder only makes it worse.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:32 am

Rob wrote:It is on my CD. I can hear him loud and clear.

What a dynamic experience it must be for you...

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Doc, how does Just a Little Bit add to Elvis' legacy?

Given the disaster that was the July 1973 Stax visit, the band sounds great on the track -- there is a terrific groove that they hold throughout, and Elvis' performance, despite his depressed state, has command and more than a touch of his playful sexuality. There's not a whole lot from 1973 on where you can hear that.

Indeed. However, Jerry Lee Lewis' recording from the same year tramples all over Elvis' attempt. Now that rocks!

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:23 am

Matthew wrote:Indeed. However, Jerry Lee Lewis' recording from the same year tramples all over Elvis' attempt. Now that rocks!

Matthew, I am very fond of you, but I am not about to make a Jerry Lee Lewis list...

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:
brian wrote:What about Find out what's happening?

Asleep at the wheel....

Correct -- the vocal just isn't there.

I think Elvis sounds just as inspired on Find out what's happening as he does on Just a little bit.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm

brian wrote:I think Elvis sounds just as inspired on Find out what's happening as he does on Just a little bit.

Brian, I rate Find Out What's Happening about the same as Just a Little Bit. Solid but unexceptional. The latter number is slightly better in that the material itself is superior (it's an r&b standard) with an interesting arrangement that gives Elvis some room to strut his stuff a little. Still, neither performance is what they could've been if he'd cut them at a time when he was in a better frame of mind. Both tunes would've likely come across better if recorded at the December Stax sessions, and in 1970 Elvis would've lit 'em both up!

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:54 pm

brian wrote:... Elvis sounds just as inspired on Find out what's happening as he does on Just a little bit.

Amazing! But wrong.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:19 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:... Elvis sounds just as inspired on Find out what's happening as he does on Just a little bit.

Amazing! But wrong.

oh come on

Elvis sounds half asleep on Just a little bit

lots of other artists have done that song better

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:30 pm

brian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Amazing! But wrong.

oh come on

Elvis at Stax in July '73 is the worst he ever was in a professional studio, his voice just isn't there. It is slurry, dull and he runs out of breath. You can clearly here he is so over-medicated. I find it depressing to listen to that album Raised on Rock, he sounds so much better by December after his rehabilitation in November. In fact the only good vocals he puts on that album are the songs he recorded in Palm Springs in the September!

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:44 pm

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:Elvis at Stax in July '73 is the worst he ever was in a professional studio, his voice just isn't there. It is slurry, dull and he runs out of breath. You can clearly here he is so over-medicated.

Very much reminiscent of his live work from the vast majority of 1976.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:08 am

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
brian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Amazing! But wrong.

oh come on

Elvis at Stax in July '73 is the worst he ever was in a professional studio, his voice just isn't there. It is slurry, dull and he runs out of breath. You can clearly here he is so over-medicated. I find it depressing to listen to that album Raised on Rock, he sounds so much better by December after his rehabilitation in November. In fact the only good vocals he puts on that album are the songs he recorded in Palm Springs in the September!

I know that

I just think that Find out what's happening was more of a stand out track.