For epf: Felton Jarvis Hits, 1970-1976

Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:08 am

A friendly fan's work is never done.

epf wrote:Dear Doc, could you pretty please start a new thread, titled: for EPF: The Felton Jarvis Top 25 Hits?

That would be much appreciated!

Behold, 35 tracks from 1970-1976 that add to the legacy of Elvis Presley, as produced by Felton Jarvis.

I've Lost You
Bridge over Troubled Water
It's Your Baby, You Rock It
Just Pretend
Funny How Time Slips Away
I Washed My Hand in Muddy Water
Patch It Up
Early Morning Rain
(That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me
If I Get Home on Christmas Day
Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees
Merry Christmas, Baby
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
It's Still Here
I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen
I Will Be True
I'm Leavin'
I Shall Be Released
I John
Bosom of Abraham
Burning Love
Always on My Mind
I've Got a Thing About You Baby
Just a Little Bit
For Ol' Times Sake
Are You Sincere?
Loving Arms
Promised Land
I Can Help
Susan When She Tried
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
For the Heart
Hurt
Danny Boy
Pledging My Love

Re: For epf: Felton Jarvis Hits, 1970-1976

Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:41 am

Kool list! I only hate one of em! :P

Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:57 am

I'm surprised The Last Farewell was omitted.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:12 am

midnightx wrote:I'm surprised The Last Farewell was omitted.

Indeed. T'was a last-minute omission.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:26 am

I don't understand the inclusion of I Shall Be Released, Just A Little Bit, or Susan When She Tried, but the rest is undeniably strong.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:29 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:I don't understand the inclusion of I Shall Be Released, Just A Little Bit, or Susan When She Tried ...

Because they are all terrific recordings. "I Shall Be Released," all sixty seconds of it, is one of the major finds of the entire 1970s archives. It's stunning.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:I don't understand the inclusion of I Shall Be Released, Just A Little Bit, or Susan When She Tried ...

Because they are all terrific recordings. "I Shall Be Released," all sixty seconds of it, is one of the major finds of the entire 1970s archives. It's stunning.

I have to disagree. Although it is fun to hear Elvis pay tribute to Dylan, and it would have been miraculous to hear a full version, the bit that we have doesn't strike me as a standout. I will say, Doc, that I am glad to see I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen on your list. It is a heartbreakingly beautiful performance that is too often overlooked. It gets me everytime,but then again so does Danny Boy. Elvis could sing the Irish songs like nobody!

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:51 am

Doc -
If I Get Home On Christmas Day? That's a surprising choice. Or did you mean to write I'll Be Home On Christmas Day?

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It could be argued that the sixty second outtake is essentially a failing on Felton's part by not securing a complete performance from Elvis for commercial release.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:14 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:I will say, Doc, that I am glad to see I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen on your list. It is a heartbreakingly beautiful performance that is too often overlooked. It gets me everytime,but then again so does Danny Boy. Elvis could sing the Irish songs like nobody!

In both examples we find a GREAT artist totally committed to the material. It's a thrill to hear him so invested in songs I might otherwise have never cared for. He makes them transcendent experiences.

Pete Dube wrote:Doc - If I Get Home On Christmas Day? That's a surprising choice.

Just when you think you have the doc pegged ...

With "If I Get Home On Christmas Day" Elvis delivers a vocal so deeply heartfelt, so rich in emotion, it's as if he chose to invest the entire range of holiday joy and melancholy into one three-minute number.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
With "If I Get Home On Christmas Day" Elvis delivers a vocal so deeply heartfelt, so rich in emotion, it's as if he chose to invest the entire range of holiday joy and melancholy into one three-minute number.

Agreed. It matches Judy Garland's Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas in that.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:17 am

Not exactly my list but a good one. It is good that there are several songs on here that can be directly attributed to Felton. The chief one, of course, is "Burning Love" a song Felton brought to the session through his connections. More importantly a performance that Felton helped to make immortal by overdubbing that great rhythm guitar. Another good Felton take is James Burton's overdubbed solos on "Merry Christmas Baby" they make a great track absolutely sting. I would also add "Promised Land" to that list in that Felton helped steer what was a jam session into a great formal recording.

I would also note that Elvis was with Felton since 1966 and got plenty of good results even before 1977. His best moves in that era were adding the fake ending to "Suspicious Minds" and getting Jerry Reed to play on "Guitar Man."

Beyond any single track, Felton deserves credit for two of Elvis' signal album achievements in How Great Thou Art and Elvis Country. Felton kept after Elvis to record of tracks of quality to finish off the latter album and he probably had a significant impact on track sequence and selection. Elvis may have came up with the country idea and reportedly the "I'm 10,000 Years Old" linking device, but Felton made sure he followed through on that inspiration.

He wasn't Phil Spector or some great visionary, but he was a competent craftsman who knew his way around a studio and had his moments from time to time.

If it were my list, the most obvious oust would be "Just a Little Bit" where I think Elvis sounds tired.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:49 am

likethebike wrote:Beyond any single track, Felton deserves credit for two of Elvis' signal album achievements in How Great Thou Art ...

As the title implies, this list regards Felton's work in the 1970s.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:59 am

I brought it up to remind people that 1970-1976 was not the whole of their collaboration. That's pretty important to remember, I think.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:01 am

likethebike wrote:Not exactly my list but a good one. It is good that there are several songs on here that can be directly attributed to Felton. The chief one, of course, is "Burning Love" a song Felton brought to the session through his connections. More importantly a performance that Felton helped to make immortal by overdubbing that great rhythm guitar. Another good Felton take is James Burton's overdubbed solos on "Merry Christmas Baby" they make a great track absolutely sting. I would also add "Promised Land" to that list in that Felton helped steer what was a jam session into a great formal recording.

I would also note that Elvis was with Felton since 1966 and got plenty of good results even before 1977. His best moves in that era were adding the fake ending to "Suspicious Minds" and getting Jerry Reed to play on "Guitar Man."

Beyond any single track, Felton deserves credit for two of Elvis' signal album achievements in How Great Thou Art and Elvis Country. Felton kept after Elvis to record of tracks of quality to finish off the latter album and he probably had a significant impact on track sequence and selection. Elvis may have came up with the country idea and reportedly the "I'm 10,000 Years Old" linking device, but Felton made sure he followed through on that inspiration.

I don't know why Felton deserves credit for How Great Thou Art

Gospel music was right up Elvis alley and he had previously produced His hand in mine

So I think he was perfectly capable of producing this great gospel album by himself.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:09 am

brian wrote:
likethebike wrote:Not exactly my list but a good one. It is good that there are several songs on here that can be directly attributed to Felton. The chief one, of course, is "Burning Love" a song Felton brought to the session through his connections. More importantly a performance that Felton helped to make immortal by overdubbing that great rhythm guitar. Another good Felton take is James Burton's overdubbed solos on "Merry Christmas Baby" they make a great track absolutely sting. I would also add "Promised Land" to that list in that Felton helped steer what was a jam session into a great formal recording.

I don't know why Felton deserves credit for How Great Thou Art

Gospel music was right up Elvis alley and he had previously produced His hand in mine

So I think he was perfectly capable of producing this great gospel album by himself.

Jarvis doesn't deserve much credit for HGTA. likethebike just happens to be a big supporter of Jarvis, so it was mentioned because it was one of the few full-length album highlights Jarvis' name is attached to....

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:03 am

Did you guys not read Careless Love or the notes to the '60s boxed set? Jarvis was a big part of Elvis' enthusiasm for those sessions. And an enthusiastic Elvis made good music.

I give Jarvis credit because he did good music with Elvis. He gets dumped on because his collaboration with Elvis went so long. All you have with Moman, Binder, Phillips are romanticized moment. Only Phillips worked with Elvis for more than a few months. Jarvis worked with him for a decade.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:23 am

Good point and good thread.

Thanks for the commentary, fellas.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:27 am

likethebike wrote:Did you guys not read Careless Love or the notes to the '60s boxed set? Jarvis was a big part of Elvis' enthusiasm for those sessions. And an enthusiastic Elvis made good music.

I give Jarvis credit because he did good music with Elvis. He gets dumped on because his collaboration with Elvis went so long. All you have with Moman, Binder, Phillips are romanticized moment. Only Phillips worked with Elvis for more than a few months. Jarvis worked with him for a decade.

My point is that Elvis loved gospel music, he was good at singing, and all his gospel recordings were superb. so I think if Jarvis had never showed up at the How Great Thou Art sessions the album would've been just as good.

I get you're point about Felton Jarvis he was no complete hack producer he produced hits for Tommy Roe and Fats Domino as well as other artists before his association with Elvis.

I give him credit for getting Jerry Reed to play with Elvis and for bringing in some good songs on occasion during the 70's. However, I do think he was a guy that just went with the flow and did what Colonel Parker and RCA told him to do which is not really what Elvis needed.
I think someone like Chips Moman was better because he was the type of person to persuade Elvis to do things like ''In the Ghetto'' despite Colonel Parker's objections.
I get the feeling that if ''In the Ghetto'' was brought to a session Felton was producing it wouldn't of been recorded.

That's my main criticism of Felton Jarvis as producer.

Having said this I don't think Elvis needed a record producer because he was good enough at that himself.

He just needed a good A&R man that was acting in his best interest to get him the very best material.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:49 am

I agree with Dr.Carpenter's list

The only thing is I would have listed a few more songs.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:A friendly fan's work is never done.

epf wrote:Dear Doc, could you pretty please start a new thread, titled: for EPF: The Felton Jarvis Top 25 Hits?

That would be much appreciated!

Behold, 35 tracks from 1970-1976 that add to the legacy of Elvis Presley, as produced by Felton Jarvis.

I've Lost You
Bridge over Troubled Water
It's Your Baby, You Rock It
Just Pretend
Funny How Time Slips Away
I Washed My Hand in Muddy Water
Patch It Up
Early Morning Rain
(That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me
If I Get Home on Christmas Day
Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees
Merry Christmas, Baby
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
It's Still Here
I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen
I Will Be True
I'm Leavin'
I Shall Be Released
I John
Bosom of Abraham
Burning Love
Always on My Mind
I've Got a Thing About You Baby
Just a Little Bit
For Ol' Times Sake
Are You Sincere?
Loving Arms
Promised Land
I Can Help
Susan When She Tried
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
For the Heart
Hurt
Danny Boy
Pledging My Love

Thanks very much Doc for picking up the glove. More than anything my request was made in jest. But to see it to come fruition is wonderful. Thanks again! It is a great list, isn't it. What a versatile artist Elvis was. And what good team work is done here.
When Felton Jarvis only moderately touches the overdub knob things work out quite well.

I think i might have included Unchained Melody. But then again, that is not a studio track.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:09 pm

One big omission, Doc:
I REALLY DON´T WANT TO KNOW
JUNE, 7th 1970 - RCA´S STUDIO "B" (NASHVILLE)

Apart from that, your tracklist is (near) perfect.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:35 pm

I think i might have included Unchained Melody. But then again, that is not a studio track.

When you listen to Spring Tours, you realise just what a fantastic job Felton did with Unchained Melody as included on Moody Blue. While not a studio cut, it was an album master, and Felton really earned his money with it, so I'd include it too!

Some great selections there Doc. I might have been tempted to add Pieces Of My Life, which draws a fantastic vocal out of Elvis, and the overdubs are well done by Felton.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:37 pm

jeanno wrote:One big omission, Doc:
I REALLY DON´T WANT TO KNOW
JUNE, 7th 1970 - RCA´S STUDIO "B" (NASHVILLE)

Apart from that, your tracklist is (near) perfect.

Totally agree. And I would also add "If you talk in your sleep". This steamy number doesn´t sound like anything else he recorded.

Kind regards

Björn

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:24 pm

DarrylMac wrote:

When you listen to Spring Tours, you realise just what a fantastic job Felton did with Unchained Melody as included on Moody Blue. While not a studio cut, it was an album master, and Felton really earned his money with it, so I'd include it too!

Some great selections there Doc. I might have been tempted to add Pieces Of My Life, which draws a fantastic vocal out of Elvis, and the overdubs are well done by Felton.

I just saw the title of this thread, Doc stopped at 1976, hence the exclusion of Unchained Melody i suppose. But indeed, Unchained Melody deserves a worthy mention.