Sing A Song with Elvis in 1966 !

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:31 pm

When a great number of Elvis Presley home recordings appeared on official discs about 10 years ago, it was a cause for celebration, at least amongst the cognoscenti.

New material, off-the-wall covers, and old favorites, taped between 1956 and 1966 in Memphis, Bad Nauheim, Beverly Hills and Los Angeles, were all heard in the relatively intimate atmosphere of a home recording.

What a goldmine!!

The Home Recordings (BMG)

In A Private Moment (FTD)

For some, the Follow That Dream collector's release was especially intriguing. Besides very-typical-for-the times folk music singalongs, there were also high-quality recordings where Elvis sang over a pre-recorded background.

In the FECC review, http://www.elvis-collectors.com/ftdreview/ftdprivate.html, we learned that the folk instrumental album was by the Kingston Trio:

Sing A Song With The Kingston Trio (Capitol SKAO-2005, 1963)

Side 1
1. Darlin' Corey
2. Where Have All the Flowers Gone
3. The Sinking of the Reuben James
4. 500 Miles --> http://www.folkusa.org/sas_500miles.mp3
5. Pullin' Away
6. Tom Dooley

Side 2
1. Greenback Dollar
2. Blowin' In the Wind --> http://www.folkusa.org/sas_blowininthewind.mp3
3. A Worried Man
4. Chilly Winds
5. One More Town
6. When the Saints Go Marchin' In

Thanks to a stray comment by member George Smith's on another topic, the other album may now be identified: it's by famous arranger, Nelson Riddle!

Sing A Song With Riddle (Capitol STAO-1259, 1960)

Side 1
1. Little White Lies
2. Darn That Dream
3. Near You
4. Day In, Day Out
5. The More I See You
6. My Baby Just Cares For Me

Side 2
1. Everywhere You Go
2. I Had The Craziest Dream
3. Fools Rush In
4. You Make Me Feel So Young
5. It’s A Sin To Tell A Lie
6. You’re Driving Me Crazy

Elvis Presley and Nelson Riddle -- two legends of 20th Century popular music.

Although Presley is pulling from Bill Kenny of the Ink Spots with his version of "It’s A Sin To Tell A Lie," maybe we can say there's a touch of Frank Sinatra in his rendition of "Fools Rush In."

If there's more, I want to hear it.

And who gave Elvis those Capitol LPs -- the Beatles???

Re: Sing A Song with Elvis in 1966 !

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:59 pm

hmmm...maybe through modern technology those original instrumental tracks could be synced with the home recordings...on the home recordings engineers could only have to be concerned with bringing Elvis' voice out front and sounding good...the backing tracks, of course, would already be good and in stereo. Now those are re-mixes I could live with!

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:00 am

Oh, very good detective work.

The 1966 home demos make for a fabulous "lost" album.

More please!

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:58 am

There is some evidence that Elvis was recording in stereo as well on some of the home recordings from the mid-60's.

Many high-end reel to reel recorders had inputs for 2 microphones, and it sounds like Elvis on one,
and charlie or "the group", on the other. Both mics then picked up the sound coming from the high-fi,
bleeding into each indivual vocal mic.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:11 am

George Smith wrote:Oh, very good detective work.

Elementary, my dear Watson.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:maybe we can say there's a touch of Frank Sinatra in his rendition of "Fools Rush In."

I

More of Dean Martin, who did also record this song for his "Dream with Dean"-album, imho

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:32 am

But, did Riddle arrange the same song in the same way for Martin?

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:But, did Riddle arrange the same song in the same way for Martin?

No, I don't know if Riddle even worked for Martin. But vocally it reminds me of Dino. That's what I meant. His version is very laid back and has just basic-instrumentation

Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:15 am

Rocker wrote:But vocally it reminds me of Dino.

Martin was a big influence, no doubt.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:19 pm

Hello,

Also note that "You Make Me Feel So Young" was sung by Nancy and Frank Sinatra on the "Welcome Home Elvis" show. Speaking of Dean Martin, anybody have any idea why he didn't appear on the "Welcome Home Elvis" show. It's my understanding that he was in Miami Beach with the rest of the "Rat Pack" at the time of the taping. I would have much preferred Elvis singing a duet with Dean Martin than Frank Sinatra.

Daryl

Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:10 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:hmmm...maybe through modern technology those original instrumental tracks could be synced with the home recordings...on the home recordings engineers could only have to be concerned with bringing Elvis' voice out front and sounding good...the backing tracks, of course, would already be good and in stereo. Now those are re-mixes I could live with!

That would be a good idea!! I love these home recordings.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:38 pm

According to Ernst and others there are more home recordings that can be released.....I'd love to hear them!

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:44 pm

Deke Rivers II wrote:According to Ernst and others there are more home recordings that can be released.....I'd love to hear them!

Enjoy:

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:13 pm

Nice point. But for many, the 1960 appearance always seems like Nelson Riddle and his Orchestra supporting Frank SInatra and a guest star. How neat it would have been to see some kind of true collaboration, though.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:49 am

Deke Rivers II wrote:According to Ernst and others there are more home recordings that can be released.....I'd love to hear them!

There are, but we may never hear them.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:53 am

too bad elvis never dubbed his voice to the beach boys stack o tracks..

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:06 am

Wow, killer info, did not know these facts at all!

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

DJC, do you happen to know why?

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:24 am

Booker T wrote:Wow, killer info, did not know these facts at all!

Now you do!

Trust the doc!

Shawn1968 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Now you do!

Trust the doc!

Shawn1968 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes.

Copyright issues? Excessive profanity? Poor sound?

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:49 am

TJ wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Now you do!

Trust the doc!

Shawn1968 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes.

Copyright issues? Excessive profanity? Poor sound?

George kline and other private collectors who want alot of money?? ( i just wanted to add this possibility to the rest)

Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:19 am

Close. The owner does not want to sell. Period.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Close. The owner does not want to sell. Period.

Are the contents of the tape known and, if so, do you know any titles?

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:49 am

on the home recordings engineers could only have to be concerned with bringing Elvis' voice out front and sounding good

I hope for this as well. Imagine an album of 10 Elvis tunes, with good, clear, home-recorded Elvis vocals overdubbed with music appropriate to the vocal. I can imagine that!

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Close. The owner does not want to sell. Period.

People like this (the owners) just astound me. Why they would want to keep tapes like this for themselves and not let the world at large enjoy this music is beyond me. I'm also worried that, in instances like this, the owners are storing the tapes in less-than-optimal conditions which will reduce their sound quality even further.

And what happens if the owner's home is destoyed by fire/flood/theft/etc.? The music is lost forever. And when they die, will the heirs - if there are any - even realize what the tapes are? Or will they be tossed out in the trash?

This is the saddest aspect of the collector mentality.