Elvis - "Living Stereo" 45 RPM Releases

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:39 pm

Generated from another topic:

Elvis Australia wrote:All of Elvis' US singles were released in mono only up to 1971. Merry Christmas Baby may have been Elvis' first stereo single.

Remember radio was AM - mono - so singles were made for radio play in mono.

This is completely wrong.

The first official RCA 45 in "Living Stereo" was April 1960's "Stuck On You" by Elvis Presley.

The single now goes at auction for $500 or more.

Stuck On You / Fame and Fortune
(US) RCA 47-7740 / Stereo 61-7740

Other "Living Stereo" 45s followed, ALL are hard to find today:

It's Now Or Never / A Mess Of Blues
(US) RCA 47-7777 / Stereo 61-7777

Are You Lonesome To-night? / I Gotta Know
(US) RCA 47-7810 / Stereo 61-7810

Surrender / Lonely Man
(US) RCA 47-7850 / Stereo 61-7850

After this, Presley single 45s were MONO until March/April 1969:

Memories / Charro
(US) RCA 47-9731

His Hand In Mine / How Great Thou Art
(US) RCA 74-0130

After April 1969, RCA went back to MONO 45s until November 1971:

Merry Christmas Baby / O Come, All Ye Faithful
(US) RCA 74-0572

Pertinent corrections, if any, are welcome.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Elvis - "Living Stereo" 45 RPM Releases

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:42 pm

Glad you started it Doc! I can't really recall, but weren't some of these 33 1/3 rpm's stereo releases? And what about the Flaming Star EP? Was that a stereo release? Not to confuse the single issue, but there were some strange stereo single/EP releases made in the US around that time!? Just for starters....

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Given their scarcity, I've often wondered if the 1960 / 1961 stereo releases were strictly for juke box proprietors and not the general public.

MT

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:05 pm

bajo wrote:Glad you started it Doc! I can't really recall, but weren't some of these 33 1/3 rpm's stereo releases? And what about the Flaming Star EP? Was that a stereo release?

Yes, but this topic is about the 45s only.

MysteryTrain wrote:Given their scarcity, I've often wondered if the 1960 / 1961 stereo releases were strictly for juke box proprietors and not the general public.

No, but they were definitely pressed in smaller numbers.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Ok Doc! But, were they released as both 45 and 33 RPM singles in stereo? I seem to recall that those singles were 33 RPM stereo!? Is that a possibility?

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:19 pm

In Germany there were 2 Elvis singles released in LIVING STEREO.
in 1960 61-7740 Stuck On You - Fame And Fortune and in 1961 61-7850 Surrender - Lonely Man
These are also pretty rare ... especially Stuck On You was recently sold on Ebay for about $ 1000

Does anyone know what the 61-... means which was used instead of 47-...
And where does the number 47-... come from ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:22 pm

bajo wrote:Ok Doc! But, were they released as both 45 and 33 RPM singles in stereo?

Don't think so.

stranger wrote:In Germany ...

Your input is appreciated, but this topic is meant to discuss STEREO U.S. singles.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:27 pm

Doc! I think I recall some singles which had that "33rmp single" added on top of the covers. Can't find them right now! But, the Flaming Star EP had "Compact 33 Double" on them! But, as far as I can see from the cover, that was not in stereo! Can't get it out of my head now......search is on!

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:42 pm

bajo wrote:Doc! I think I recall some singles which had that "33rmp single" added on top of the covers. Can't find them right now! But, the Flaming Star EP had "Compact 33 Double" on them! But, as far as I can see from the cover, that was not in stereo! Can't get it out of my head now......search is on!

Yes, but it was not a regular 45 RPM release in the U.S.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:44 pm

bajo wrote:Doc! I think I recall some singles which had that "33rmp single" added on top of the covers. Can't find them right now! But, the Flaming Star EP had "Compact 33 Double" on them! But, as far as I can see from the cover, that was not in stereo! Can't get it out of my head now......search is on!

You can find some rare beauties here: http://www.popsike.com

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 pm

stranger wrote:You can find some rare beauties here: http://www.popsike.com

GREAT link! Thank you.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:14 am

Same here! But I don't have time now to find out which 33RPM would appear in stereo?? I'll Be Back!

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:59 am

Checking my notes from material I've read elsewhere...

As far as I know (and for the US market), the only stereo 45 singles RCA issued - for any artist on the label - prior to 1969 had a prefix of 61-. For stereo 7-inch 33 1/3 releases, the prefix was 68-.

Note that, up to 1969, the stereo singles were issued at the same time as their mono counterparts... these mono 45 singles began with a 47- prefix.

The first Elvis single available commercially ONLY in stereo was 74-0130, "How Great Thou Art"/"His Hand in Mine" in 1969.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Maybe we should start a new thread called "Stereo 7 in. singles" instead of "Living Stereo 45's". Or, maybe move some of this to a new post titled "Compact 33 singles".

The Compact 33 phenomenon is detailed in this paragraph on megocollector:

In 1961, RCA Victor Records released Good Luck Charm b/w Anything That's Part of You on compact 33. The prefix (37) denotes compact 33. The catalog (7992) is identical to the relatively common counterpart release as a 45 RPM (47-7992). This release was part of an industry-wide attempt to establish a one-speed record market which began in 1960, that was anticipated to phase out the 45 RPM within two to five years of it’s introduction. Using big name artists, like Elvis Presley to propagate sales of the compact 33 in the direction of market domination should have been enough, however, it wasn’t. In 1961, 45 RPM record sales were climbing at a record pace, the major discount stores cut retail prices by nearly 22%, and lack of inexpensive automatic 33-speed singles player discouraged the promotion of the compact 33. All these factors and more attribute to the extreme rarity of this single.

One thing I have not seen is whether or not they were stereo. The assumption would be that they are in mono, I suppose, but I never assume anything when collecting Elvis!

BTW, I've been lurking on this board for some time (a couple of years, at least). I enjoy reading the discussion, and now taking part in it!

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:35 pm

MarkyMark77 wrote:BTW, I've been lurking on this board for some time (a couple of years, at least). I enjoy reading the discussion, and now taking part in it!

Thanks for joining in Mark!!! Always good to have a new "face" on Board :)

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:11 pm

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:... thanks for showing them all to us and reminding us of the His Hand In Mine/How Great Thou Art release.

You are welcome.

My post is, as usual, thorough, accurate and illustrated with examples.

That is why it was created.

MarkyMark77 wrote:Maybe we should start a new thread called "Stereo 7 in. singles" instead of "Living Stereo 45's".

Please do start a new topic!

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks Doc, so I am basically correct and it is not 'completely wrong'.

You prove me 99% correct.

You can only come up with 5 exceptions. Four of which had already been pointed out

And you missed the point of my post in your haste to big note yourself.

All I can add further is Johnny Be Good.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Elvis Australia wrote:Thanks Doc, so I am basically correct ...

No, not on this topic. But feel free to copy all the information here for your website, as per usual.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis Australia wrote:Thanks Doc, so I am basically correct ...

No, not on this topic. But feel free to copy all the information here for your website, as per usual.

Gee, that's nice of you.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:16 am

The first Elvis single available commercially ONLY in stereo was 74-0130, "How Great Thou Art"/"His Hand in Mine" in 1969.

So that's why this was the worst selling EP single.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:24 am

There might have been other, greater factors involved, such as irrelevancy.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:26 am

Elvis Australia wrote:Thanks Doc, so I am basically correct and it is not 'completely wrong'.
You prove me 99% correct.

You should feel honoured !

Other posts pointing this out have been removed in double-quick time !

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:32 am

Please, everyone stay on topic.. Thank you.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:36 am

Several of my and Colins posts were removed seemingly because they pointed out to a member that his thread had already been delt with.

I fail to see any reason for this action.

In the same way how oo earth is Colin off topic?

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:51 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Several of my and Colins posts were removed seemingly because they pointed out to a member that his thread had already been delt with.

I fail to see any reason for this action.

In the same way how oo earth is Colin off topic?

Going from memory, posts were removed due to being off-topic, or attempts to derail the thread.

Please note I said "Everyone" and not simply Colin. :D

Generally, if there is a complaint - please PM me to let me know. Otherwise, more times than not - it can easily derail a thread if handled directly on the forum.

From here on in -- let's stick to the topic at hand please ;)