Elvis at the HIC in 1966 - "What-If"?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:24 am

Someone just sent a copy of the last US Rolling Stones show with Brian Jones.

From the summer of 1966, it's a tremendous, ragged performance, the tour closer, held at the Honolulu International Center, in Honolulu, Hawaii -- the same site as Elvis' 1972 and 1973 Hawaiian concerts!

Rolling Stones - April 3, 1966, Kungliga Tennishallen, Stockholm, Sweden

DJ Tom Moffatt even does the introductions, a guy who knew Elvis as far back as November 1957's shows in the Aloha state.

Rolling Stones
Thursday, July 28, 1966
Honolulu International Center, Honolulu, Hawaii

Introduction by DJ Tom Moffatt, KPOI 1380 AM
Not Fade Away
The Last Time
Paint It Black
Charlie Watts introduction / Lady Jane
Mother's Little Helper
Get Off Of My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown
Satisfaction
Afterward by Tom Moffatt

Short but sweet, that is one HELL of a set list!

Almost all the tunes were new, excellent and on the charts.

Now, does anyone think Presley could have pulled together something similar? What if Moffatt, during his interview in Hawaii eleven months earlier, had somehow swayed both Presley and Parker?

Elvis Presley, Paramount Studios, October 1966

What could he have done in the summer of 1966? Would it have topped the Stones? He was only 31 years old.

Consider his output to date -- July 1954 to July 1966 -- and the era very carefully. It wouldn't have been anything like January 1973's "Aloha" broadcast, and yet it couldn't have been a carbon-copy of his March 1961 Benefit show, either.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis at the HIC in 1966 - "What-If"?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:15 am

It's a tough call. It depends I guess on how much time Elvis would have had to prepare. He hadn't been on stage in a long time.

I imagine the set list would have included some old favorites like the '50s classics. Maybe Elvis would have found some time for his then relatively recent hits like "Return to Sender" and the sadly neglected "It Hurts Me." The show almost certainly would have contained a version of "Love Letters" being that it was his latest single and he had a fondness for it. Even when he came back in the 1970s, he featured it in the act. I also imagine a show place would have been found for the yet as unreleased "How Great Thou Art" as Elvis found a place for his recently recorded gospel in 1961. Also, the song was a featured player in his 70s act. I also believe a spot would have been found for "Down in the Alley" another recently recorded favorite, that captured the same spirit that "One Night" brought to previous shows. I'm almost sure that "Can't Help Falling in Love" would have been in as it was associated with Hawaii and was an Elvis standard even then. Maybe it would have been the closer even at this early date. Elvis could have been waiting on it for a long time. I can also imagine that Elvis would include something contemporary like a Beatles or Byrds track or even something like Bobby Darin's "If I Were a Carpenter" although that did not make Top 40 until October. I don't think any Sun tunes would have found their way into the show as in 1966 marked a big drop in Elvis' voice and he couldn't hit those notes any more. I don't think there was the historic necessity to include those songs that there was later. Sun's rep was still working itself out at that time. The Lovin' Spoonful around this same time knew little enough about them to call them Nashville records in their hit "Nashville Cats." Maybe "Memphis" as opener.

I wonder if there would have been a spot for "Tomorrow is a Long Time." It was a song that could have opened a lot of ways, but an arena is a very poor place to feature that kind of intimacy. In some ways you could make the same case against "Love Letters." The song was also very longish for an Elvis show.

I think the band would have been the usual suspects at this point meaning Scotty and DJ and the Nashville players, the Jordanaires. Elvis wasn't really sold on big productions until after the TV show. The very first Elvis track to feature strings came only a few months before.

I think Elvis could have matched the Stones as he recently renewed his interest in pop music. He wouldn't have rocked as hard, as he wasn't in that place, but he could have certainly reinvented himself as a contemporary stage performer.

Using the number of 15 songs done in '61 as a guide, here is a possible set list.

1. "Memphis"
2. "Down in the Alley"
3. "Love Letters"
4. "It Hurts Me"
5. "Yesterday" or other suitable contemporary song that Elvis enjoyed. I suspect something folkish. Maybe "Tomorrow is a Long Time."
6. "Heartbreak Hotel"
7. "Return to Sender"
8. "You're the Devil in Disguise"
9. "What'd I Say"
10. "A Big Hunk o' Love"
11. "Hound Dog"
12. "Baby What You Want Me To Do" or "After Loving You" two Elvis faves of the period.
13. "How Great Thou Art"
14. "Hawaiian Wedding Song"
15. "Can't Help Falling in Love"

You got a mix of big hits, classics and recent songs including three or four songs just recorded. You also have the very prominent local song from Elvis' movie Blue Hawaii which was making its network TV debut around this time. You also have the Elvis ecleciticism with R/B, blues, rock, ballads, gospel and folk. Only country is missing.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:36 pm

To my guess a newspaper article of this "1966 H.I.C. concert" would have gone something along these lines:
"A somewhat paunchy Elvis Presley, recently doing some assembly-line filmwork in Hollywood, surprisingly came over to the Islands to do a special show at Honolulu's H.I.C. ... His voice sounded very flat and nasal and he seemed to be out of breath for the faster Rock'n'Roll songs, limiting his gyrations to a minimum ... Still, the enthusiastic Hawaiian folks, presenting Elvis with a truckload of leis and many fans coming over from the mainland or even as far as Japan or Australia as well, seemed to fully enjoy the rather short and somewhat amateurish mess, served by their plump hero, acknowledging every little shaking of the pelvis - and believe me, there was very little of that once infamous shaking - with unbearable loud hysterical shrieks and screams..."

Here is the setlist:

Introduction
Girls, Girls, Girls
Song Of The Shrimp (short)
Cant' Help Falling In Love
Love Me Tender
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
A Fool Such As I
Heartbreak Hotel
Intros to Band and Backups and Tom Moffatt
A Dog's Life
Queenie Wahines Papaya
Datin'
It Hurts Me
So High
That's All Right
Hound Dog
Outro

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Where's 'Ol McDonald' & 'There's No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car'?!
These songs alone would have blown the Stones away.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:53 pm

To mindblindness:

Shortly after this H.I.C. concert I was told that Charlie and Joe wanted Elvis to include "Barefoot Ballad", "Chesay", "Yoga Is As Yoga Does" and "Scratch My Back", omitting some of his 50ies stuff. Elvis declined. 8)

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:18 pm

T-R-O-U-B-L-E wrote:
Introduction
Girls, Girls, Girls
Song Of The Shrimp (short)

Cant' Help Falling In Love
Love Me Tender
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
A Fool Such As I
Heartbreak Hotel
Intros to Band and Backups and Tom Moffatt
A Dog's Life
Queenie Wahines Papaya
Datin'

It Hurts Me
So High
That's All Right
Hound Dog
Outro

Quit it.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 pm

1.) Heartbreak Hotel
2.) All Shook Up
3.) Devil In Disguise
4.) Love Me
5.) Don't Be Cruel
6.) Little Sister
7.) One Night
8.) It's Now Or Never
9.) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
10.) What'd I Say
11.) Crying In The Chapel
12.) Down In The Alley
13.) A Big Hunk O' Love
14.) Can't Help Falling In Love
15.) Hound Dog

Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:22 pm

To Rob:

Heya, why should I quit it?
Remember, the year would have been 1966 and not 1975 or 1976. Elvis already was high, if eventually on other pills and things as during later years. So, this setlist would just about fit the King in 1966...

And after all, "Girls, Girls, Girls" is not that bad a song and the three "Paradise" songs would have fit, too, as Elvis did that movie on location in Hawaii in mid-1965 - not too long before this H.I.C. concert.
And about "Song Of The Shrimp". This one would have been a funny one-liner.
That's all. I mean, Elvis did "Guadalajara" as one-liner during the Seventies...

Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:10 pm

Hi Doc,

Where is the picture taken? From the add behind the band it looks like it is an add for a Swedish 60 pop magazine Bild Journalen, and in those days Stones was in Sweden frequently.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Parker never would have gone for a one-off engagement unless a million dollars was involved.

It is funny, there is always talk of Elvis potentially touring internationally in 1978, but most likely the reality would have been similar to his 1976/1977 results. The more interesting scenario for speculation would have been what the Doc proposes - imagine Elvis performing in the mid-60's!

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:07 pm

This is a setlist I used in a similar thread:
Let's say 1966, autumn tour.

That's All Right Mama
Blue Suede Shoes
Don't Be Cruel
A Big Hunk O' Love
One Night
Reconsider Baby
Love Me
Such A Night
Stuck On You
Run On
It Hurts Me
Devil In Disguise
It's Now Or Never
Down In The Alley
I'll Remember You
Such An Easy Question
Fever
Memphis Tennessee
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Little Sister
A Fool Such As I
Can't Help Falling In Love

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:02 am

Some great replies so far! Keep it coming.

blue boy wrote:From the add behind the band it looks like it is an add for a Swedish 60 pop magazine Bild Journalen, and in those days Stones was in Sweden frequently.

Duly updated to the most likely Swedish concert. They played there in 1965, 1966 and 1967. Thanks for the information!

I found a 1965 copy of Bild Journalen online -->

Bild Journalen, #15 and 1/2 (1965)

And this 1965 Swedish magazine featuring the Stones -->

Tidningen Rekord, Issue19 (1965)

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:59 am

T-R-O-U-B-L-E wrote:To Rob:

Heya, why should I quit it?
Remember, the year would have been 1966 and not 1975 or 1976. Elvis already was high, if eventually on other pills and things as during later years. So, this setlist would just about fit the King in 1966...the three "Paradise" songs would have fit, too, as Elvis did that movie on location in Hawaii in mid-1965 - not too long before this H.I.C. concert.

Well, Elvis had those songs at his disposal in the 70's, but never did them on stage. That says all you need to know about how he felt about them.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:20 am

Looks like a fantastic set from the Stones, including The Last Time which is one of my all time faves.

I'm thinking that the '68 shows give us a clue as to what Elvis might have performed in '66. As in '68, he'd have been nervous and probably gone with songs that he considered to be classics from his repetoire. So That's All Right, Heartbreak Hotel, One Night, Hound Dog and Blue Suede Shoes would have very likely featured. I'm sure he'd also have thrown in some ballads, so probably Love Me Tender, Can't Help Falling in Love (particularly given the Blue Hawaii association) and Are You Lonesome Tonight. Little Sister might also have featured, as it was a song he clearly liked.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:39 am

likethebike wrote:I think the band would have been the usual suspects at this point meaning Scotty and DJ and the Nashville players, the Jordanaires. Elvis wasn't really sold on big productions until after the TV show ... Elvis could have matched the Stones as he recently renewed his interest in pop music. He wouldn't have rocked as hard, as he wasn't in that place, but he could have certainly reinvented himself as a contemporary stage performer.

Loved your comments, especially these cogent observations.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:48 am

Thanks Doc.

TJ I'm not sure the Sun tracks would have popped up in a one off concert, although Elvis did always keep them as a touchstone. The TV show was a little different because Elvis and Binder wanted to show where Elvis came from.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:51 pm

Yepp, Bild Journalen was the magazine to read in those days if you wanted to know what was going on in the pop music field, collectors pays quite a bit of money for good copies. Rekord magasinet is also very popular among collectors but wasn't that hot in the mid and late sixties.
Some years ago a home movie with Stones was discovered, it was shoot in 1965 by someone who invited Stones to a party here in my home town (Malmoe), the original movie have been tranfered to DVD and is named Rolling Like A Stone, think you can get it on www.cdon.com

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:08 pm

The Thursday, July 28, 1966 concert at Honolulu International Center, Honolulu, Hawaii is a very cool set as the Doc pointed out. It is pretty easy to come by and worth seeking out as the performance quality is exciting and the sound quality very listenable.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 pm

And the show is also a must for Tom Moffatt fans.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:57 pm

blue boy wrote:Yepp, Bild Journalen was the magazine to read in those days if you wanted to know what was going on in the pop music field, collectors pays quite a bit of money for good copies. Rekord magasinet is also very popular among collectors but wasn't that hot in the mid and late sixties.
Some years ago a home movie with Stones was discovered, it was shoot in 1965 by someone who invited Stones to a party here in my home town (Malmoe), the original movie have been tranfered to DVD and is named Rolling Like A Stone, think you can get it on http://www.cdon.com

Thanks for the link!

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Cool Stones shot.

the UK's Elvis express radio has a downloadable archive of their shows at:

http://www.absolutefreesoftware.co.uk/eer.htm

Scroll down and
Show # 96 (EER Birthday Special 3) from 07/06/06 entitled
"(A Faux concert from 1966)"

If you can get past the goofy opening for the show, and some of the chit-chat until about 5:30, when the DJ announces the concept, you might enjoy this attempt to hear what a 1966 Elvis show might sound like!

It's a stretch (lots of creative editing and obvious sources at times) but the overal effect can be fun as an experiment.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:55 am

Thank you for posting, Doc! I am a huge Stones fan. Is their '66 version of 'Satisfaction' the same arrangement as the 1969 live versions? As you know the Stones played HIC again, a week after Presley did in '73! If you havn't been to this page, then you may find this interesting http://stoneslib3.homestead.com/files/hawaii73.html Cheers!

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:59 am

thefunkyangel wrote:Thank you for posting, Doc! I am a huge Stones fan. Is their '66 version of 'Satisfaction' the same arrangement as the 1969 live versions?

It's very close to the single, which only about a year old.

Since it is the set closer they vamp on chorus again and again, a la Elvis and "Hound Dog" in 1956-57 and 1961.

In the middle of the set Mick says "This is our last show. Ever." Now, THAT'S funny.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Doc Wrote:
Short but sweet, that is one HELL of a set list!

Almost all the tunes were new, excellent and on the charts.

Now, does anyone think Presley could have pulled together something similar?

It sure was a great setlist and although Elvis could have pulled off a great short show
i don't think it would have any new songs.I know he wasn't riding high in the charts
before the Singer show but the recent numbers he used were mainly in the production
part of the show (Guitar Man,Big Boss man etc) Crying In The Chapel may have made it in
or How Great Though Art (although it hadn't been released yet,but had been recorded)

Here is how I think it may have went

Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel
It's Now Or Never
Crying In The Chapel OR How Great Though Art
Little Sister
Jailhouse Rock

Fantasy maybe,but killer

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Despite some flawed choices and the fact that you have to go along with the concept, this radio show noted above is inventive how they've worked in some clips of Elvis talking and listen for brief one-liners of "Guadalajara," "The Eyes of Texas," and and other '60s oriented spoken asides..

It's neat to "hear" the "live" versions of these songs (with crowd noises)...some of which are shortened or have slightly-different versions or solos.

Here's the "set-list"...
A Faux 1966 Elvis Show

1- Intro Vamp (short instrumental of "That's All Right" followed by M.C. introduction)
2- Soldier Boy
3- I Slipped, I Stumbled , I Fell
4- Like A Baby
5- Give Me the Right
6- You'll Be Gone
7- After Loving You (Elvis solo at the piano)
8- Long, Lonely Highway
9-There's Gold In the Mountains
10- It Hurts Me
11- Loving You/ Love Me Tonight
12- Big Love, Big Heartache
13- Bob Dylan Medley: I Shall Be Released / Blowin' In the Wind/ Tomorrow Is A Long Time
14 -Gospel Medley: Run On / If the Lord Wasn't Walking By My Side/ So High
15- I'll Be Back

Again, to hear this, go to:
http://www.absolutefreesoftware.co.uk/eer.htm

Scroll down and
Show # 96 (EER Birthday Special 3) from 07/06/06 entitled
"(A Faux concert from 1966)"

As I said, move past the goofy opening for the show, and some of the chit-chat until about 5:30, when the DJ announces the concept, you might enjoy it as a kind of "What if?" experiment.