Re: ELVIS GOES GLOBAL -> Critic Dave Marsh on "Aloha"

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:04 pm

likethebike wrote:Tony Trout- I don't understand your criticism of the rehearsal show. Isn't a rehearsal show designed to work out kinks? Why should Elvis be prepared to practice?

'bike, the answer to that is here...

Mister Mike wrote:I know the show on the 12th is referred to as the "rehearsal show", but wasn't the show actually filmed as a backup in case something went wrong (technically I suppose) during the live broadcast on the 14th? Now imagine if something had happened and the "rehearsal show" had become the "official" Aloha.... Would we view the TV special that much differently today?

If there had been problems to the degree that the rehearsal show had become the "official" Aloha, yes, I think we'd all view it much differently today. Elvis treated it that way, but I think we can all agree that the Aloha rehearsal show was not your typical "rehearsal."

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:35 am

ekenee wrote:I tell you this, I have a sprited defense of Elvis.

If you don't agree with my insights on Elvis, but you do agree with Dave Marsh's, and yet I disagree with Dave Marsh, then I can't see us agreeing on this. That's ok, but I see you have a spirited defense of Dave Marsh.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here, Ekenee, but I again maintain that you seem unable to actually tackle any of Marsh's points about Elvis. To critique someone, one must actually have an inkling of their point of view, rather than a broadly dismissive "I don't like it."

'Bike: thanks for reminding me what I like about Marsh: he embraced a good deal of '60s Elvis including the songs you mention. I definitely remember some older kids in the late '70s when I was a kid who would pull that rockist nonsense because they were Beatle or Zeppelin or Floyd fans, as if every single song by any of them was an uptempo rocker or as if that's the only yardstick. Time has been unkind to such dated, shallow opinions.

It's more personal "dead zone" towards 90 percent of rap and Hip Hop (and I say that as someone who in the '80s tried to get into Public Enemy and Cool Moe Dee and what have you) but I concede it's just not my flavor. Given that I have a wider taste in music than most, spanning multiple genres and many generations, I don't feel particularly naked in dismissing this one genre. I"m aware it has its champions. I actually enjoy reading all kinds of musical criticism, even about rap, when I'm not wondering why they're taking it so seriously.
:lol:

You're right that Marsh has an angry streak and posture. I had picked up on that. Perhaps this is what turned off Ekenee. We can only wonder... :D

I have a used copy of a collection called "Fortunate Son" of his mostly '70s rock essays as well as a first edition of that Rolling Stone record guide. The former is readable from just about any page and the latter likewise is really fun and biting. I don't recall if he did the specific reviews but this is the RS record guide that dares to take on the sainted Beatles...

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:26 am

Marsh wrote the Elvis review in that guide but not the Beatles' review. He was co-editor of both editions.

Marsh wrote a great piece in Fortunate Son called "The Secret Life of Elvis Presley" where Marsh lays down his first foundations of his defense of Elvis' extended oeuvre.

Khoots- I know that is always what we've been told but I think we may have been handed a false piece of history. I don't see how using the rehearsal show as the show would have worked. When you're going live, it's a little late to do something with the tape. And if you're going to do it over fo rebroadcast, you have time to do it again. It is quite possible this was just a rehearsal, a dry run. The improvements in the on air broadcast would seem to support this.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:59 am

I have that "Fortunate Son" and am glad to have come by it.

I was thrilled to finally see the rehearsal concert in 2004 (I know many of you had in on video before then) as I had only the CD prior to that.

I recall staring at some of the much-used still shots from Aloha that I later learned ended up coming from the rehearsal. I used to wonder why something seemed different and it turns out it was his hair, the look of his eyes, the sweat and I think even the flowers in some of the photos. Nice to have both. 2004 was a bonanza video year with those two excellent TV sets.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:10 pm

I have to wonder if the rehearsal show was in fact a rehearsal. After all, it was a performance in front of an audience. A true rehearsal is something done in advance of and in preparation for a performance in front of an audience. Even the term dry run doesn't really fit this show. The January 12 show was more of a test concert to work out any potential problems in the technical details of lighting, videotaping, timing etc. At some point the rehearsal tag got hung on this show, but the actual rehearsals proper were held in the days prior to the January 12 show.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I have to wonder if the rehearsal show was in fact a rehearsal. After all, it was a performance in front of an audience. A true rehearsal is something done in advance of and in preparation for a performance in front of an audience.

Not necessarily.

"A rehearsal is a preparatory event in music and theatre (and in other contexts) that is performed before the official public performance, as a form of practice, and to ensure that all details of the performance are adequate for professional presentation."

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&d ... n&ct=title

I did a lot of music and drama at school and university. We had many rehearsals and rehearsal shows before the proper ones.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:44 pm

The concert on the 12th can be considered a dress rehearsal AND a back up show. Dress rehearsals are often held in front of an audience.

As for the concert on the 14th, I think it showed what a pro Elvis had become in 1973. Remember that it was a live broadcast used for the first time ever on this kind of event and Elvis had to time it perfectly and there was no room for mistakes. Yes, he held back. I think that he played it safe to the TV audience. He could have put more power in to some of the rock'n roll songs and he could have moved around more on some songs, but he chosed not to.

He even had the lyrics to Burning love on big signs in the audience on the 14th. Again, to play it safe.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Does anyone have the true viewing figures for the 'live' broadcast?

I thought it was around the 400,000 mark.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:20 pm

Bodie wrote:Does anyone have the true viewing figures for the 'live' broadcast?

I thought it was around the 400,000 mark.

You mean for around the world? Although 1.5 billion is complete bullshit, there would have been more than four hundred thousand watching!

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Scott,

Wasnt it only broadcast 'live' to Australia, Japan and other asian countries?

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:38 pm

Bodie wrote:Scott,

Yes.

Australia (Sydney and Melbourne only, which people tend to forget), Japan and the Far East.

I can tell you, it was one big night in front of the box! But Australia never had colour TV until March 1975, so we missed a bit of the magic I suppose.

Twenty-eight countries in Europe saw it on delay the day after.
Last edited by Scott on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:03 pm

Scott wrote:

Yes.

Australia (Sydney and Melbourne only, which people tend to forget), Japan and the Far East.

I can tell you, it was one big Saturday night in front of the box! But Australia never had colour TV until March 1975, so we missed a bit of the magic I suppose.

So its safe to say that the viewing figures that actually saw it 'live' could be around the 400,000 if that.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Bodie wrote:So its safe to say that the viewing figures that actually saw it 'live' could be around the 400,000 if that.

No.

400,000 is four hundred thousand.

There would have been way more than that!

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Scott wrote:
Bodie wrote:So its safe to say that the viewing figures that actually saw it 'live' could be around the 400,000 if that.

No.

400,000 is four hundred thousand.

There would have been way more than that!

Im taking into account the population of Australia and Japan in the early 70's plus the majority of families in Asian countries didnt own a TV plus the time difference.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:56 pm

Bodie wrote: [Im taking into account the population of Australia and Japan in the early 70's plus the majority of families in Asian countries didnt own a TV plus the time difference.

Yeah, but even so, your figure isn't even half a million.

Still, you have a point.

The only time the billion thing was mentioned was from Parker when he announced the show with a "potential" audience figure of a billion. Later, it was taken as the actual figure.

And then it became "more people watched Aloha than man landing on the moon", which is just plain ludicrous.
Last edited by Scott on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:07 am

Scott wrote:
Bodie wrote: [Im taking into account the population of Australia and Japan in the early 70's plus the majority of families in Asian countries didnt own a TV plus the time difference.

Yeah, but even so, you're figure isn't even half a million.

Still, you have a point.

The only time the billion thing was mentioned was from Parker when he anounced the show with a "potential" audience figure of a billion. Later, it was taken as the actual figure.

And then it became "more people watched Aloha than man landing on the moon", which is just plain ludicrous.

It seems Parker made up the 1 billion figure for the publicity.

For the 'live' broadcast it seems it was much lower than that.

Anyway, thanks Scott for your contribution to my query on that.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:02 am

Bodie wrote:It seems Parker made up the 1 billion figure for the publicity.

Management had been successfully inflating similar figures since 1957.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:09 am

Scott wrote:

Yes.

I can tell you, it was one big Saturday night in front of the box! But Australia never had colour TV until March 1975, so we missed a bit of the magic I suppose.

Scott, Not sure if you're saying Sydney & Melbourne because you think people will recognise the names but (just being pedantic) I think it should read NSW and Victoria. I watched it on regional tv in country Victoria and it was live.

I love Dave Marsh's book and enjoy listening to and reading his Elvis essays but do think that this one is not one of his best. I too get the feeling he isn't all that enarmoured with Aloha. Or maybe that's my bias. Even though I watch the rehearsal (rarely the main show) a lot, it's not my favourite Elvis concert.

Helen

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am

I never thought about that. I always thought that I watched it live that january 1973 evening, but of course I did not. Hawaii is ten hours behind Sweden and if Elvis went on stage at midnight the 14th, that would be ten o' clock in the morning of the 15th in Sweden. Most likely I watched it in the evening of the 15th. I will check it up, because I have clippings from a Swedish TV guide announcing the show. It was called "Elvis in Honolulu" in the TV guide.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:24 am

Just checked the calendar. January 14th 1973 was a sunday. I don't remember if they considered the show performed on the 14th, because he went on stage around midnight on saturday. I know this has been discussed here, but I don't remember. In that case maybe I watchedit on sunday night, bot from my memory I watched it on a friday or a saturday. I was only eight years old then, but I still remember it clearly.

I'll check my old TV guide clipping.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:42 am

The show was shown at prime time on the next in Europe.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:45 pm

samses wrote:Just checked the calendar. January 14th 1973 was a sunday. I don't remember if they considered the show performed on the 14th, because he went on stage around midnight on saturday.

He went on stage precisely at 12.30am Honolulu time on the Sunday morning, the 14th.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:25 am

IMHO Elvis looked sleepy during the beginning of rehearsal show. I give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus he was known to sleep alot during the day. Cold start (motor running) and then fully awake. That's my take.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:13 am

Juan Luis wrote:IMHO Elvis looked sleepy during the beginning of rehearsal show. I give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus he was known to sleep alot during the day. Cold start (motor running) and then fully awake. That's my take.

Funny, he makes that "motor running" joke about HALF WAY through! How much time did he want??? It does sound like an apology for perceived slowness. I'm a big "Aloha" fan and I stand by everything I've said, but the show *does* lack the energy of his prior engagements. In a way, Elvis only really gets into his groove after he's performed "An American Trilogy", as if he spent the better part of an hour scared sh!tless of that moment, and once he finally reached it and pulled it off, could now relax and "be himself", to invoke a hoary cliche. I think he was very tensed for this special; a lot more tensed-up than many fans have presently allowed for. Paraphrased:

"It's very difficult to comprehend" --

EP's response to an interviewer when asked about his feelings on the then-upcoming satellite special

"I want something that 'Says America'" --

EP's single order and pledge to Bill Belew

"You are aware that we go out on worldwide television and I'm gonna need all the help I can get!" --

EP's nervous confession less than 48 hours before the real deal

"All my trials, Lord, will soon be over . . ."

EP's portentous reading of a critical line before the dramatic climax of "An American Trilogy" on Jan 14th 1973

"Aloha" is a fascinating spectacle with a fascinating man at its centre. Like everything "Elvis", it's something that can, and really should, be approached from more than one side.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:30 am

My own view, for what it's worth, is that at both the rehearsal show and the satellite show it takes a few songs for Elvis to get in the groove so to speak. At both shows he begins to hit his stride on You Gave Me a Mountain.