Re: ELVIS GOES GLOBAL -> Critic Dave Marsh on "Aloha"

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:25 pm

The reason for Elvis slow starting both shows may be the fact that he was not as trigged by uppers that he used to be when he went on stage. According to the people around him he did cut down on his intake before the Aloha shows. The Aloha version of CC Rider is lacking all the intensity that for an examle the Hampton Roads 1972 version had.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:41 pm

samses wrote:The reason for Elvis slow starting both shows may be the fact that he was not as trigged by uppers that he used to be when he went on stage. According to the people around him he did cut down on his intake before the Aloha shows. The Aloha version of CC Rider is lacking all the intensity that for an examle the Hampton Roads 1972 version had.

I think he sounds a bit tentative on 'Rider' due to the magnitude of the event. His performance gets better after the guitar solo. On the rehearsal show version he sounds like he's just going through the motions. On both versions of Something he sounds like his heart isn't in it. There's no passion. That's understandable considering he was down in the dumps at this time, and probably just couldn't get into a love song.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:12 am

I really enjoyed Marsh's take on this Elvis career highlight, especially given all the navel-gazing, arm-chair quarter-backing that we are now free to do, year after year.

I still like the show, warts and all, and the 2004 edit is tops. I think of it each January. :lol:

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:22 am

midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:From all accounts from people who were with him at the time, he was "clean" or not using just prior or during the show. I'm not saying there weren't drugs in his system from previous use, or that he didn't go back to his regular ways after the show, but no way he was frickin high for either show. It reminds me of people that say that Elvis was high during the MSG press conference, another ridiculous statement.

Again, Elvis was a drug user and abuser by 1973. He didn't turn the habit off for two concerts. No one is claiming he was high, but to try to convince yourself he hadn't popped any pills on January 14th is based on fantasy. Keep on dreaming....

None of use can say what Elvis had or didn't have in him because none of us were there. But, those that were there, namely Marty Lacker ans Linda Thompson, say he was completely straight right up to moments before the actual show, were he got a B-12 shot mixed with amphetamines. Then the next day he fell off the wagon. This has been discussed extensively over at AEK and Marty says that around that time, Elvis was primarily taking only sleeping and diet pills. I will take Marty's word over anyone else because Marty won't sugar coat anything.