Re: 1970s Soundman Bruce Jackson Remembers!

Thu May 20, 2010 11:59 am

If Bruce has the major soundboards what's the use of holding them? I mean Ernst/ FTD will not pay very large amounts I reckon and we may assume that the interest for Elvis will decline in the upcoming decades. So time is his enemy. If it is about money; this is the time to harvest.

Also I think that working on an Elvis show and making soundboard recordings is some sort of moral kind of theft. Could Sony/ FTD take any legal action if Bruce Jackson turns out to own valuable recordings asking a large sum of money for them?

(Probable answer: I guess not, otherwise they probably had been in court by now.)

Fri May 21, 2010 3:15 am

Those recording probably will never see the light of day, or if they do it will be quite a while.

Its not about the money at all. Those who have tapes have their own philosophy why they are not letting them go. Some might be because they think that they are doing Elvis a favor by not letting something that was not intended to be released released.

They might like they exclusitivity of say I have something of Elviss that no one else in the entire world has.

Who know what the reasons are. If they are left in the estate of the owner they might be released by their heirs, but as he song says it might be "A Hundred Years From Now" and if that is indeed the case, just like the song says, "Ill be crying"!!!!

Burning Love

Fri May 21, 2010 6:08 pm

IF we assume that the Boston 10. Nov 71 which is the earliest SB released from Elvis' tours came from Bruce Jackson's collection I also assume that he got a lot of payment for that release? In that aspect payment could be the most important thing for releasing other SB from Nov 71 or Sept/Nov 70 also. Money talks...

Sincerely

Kenneth

Fri May 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Kenneth wrote:IF we assume that the Boston 10. Nov 71 which is the earliest SB released from Elvis' tours came from Bruce Jackson's collection I also assume that he got a lot of payment for that release? In that aspect payment could be the most important thing for releasing other SB from Nov 71 or Sept/Nov 70 also. Money talks...

Sincerely

Kenneth

If the Boston '71 SB is from Jackson's collection, it is highly doubtful that he sold it to a bootlegger or leaked it himself. As the Doc has pointed out in the past, sound engineers regularly record and trade shows amongst themselves. Perhaps someone obtained a copy of Bruce's tape (assuming his tape was the source) and sold it, leaked it, or had it stolen.

Sat May 22, 2010 12:08 am

Kenneth .....WRONG X 2 on the later assumptions.