Re: Sinatra Show - March 1960 -> Name The Band!

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:30 pm

Even this site has it all wrong, but some great background on Frank and his opnion of rock 'n roll in the sidebar
http://www.classictvinfo.com/Sinatra/SinatraTimexShow.htm

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:45 pm

JamesVRoy wrote: Frank and his opnion of rock 'n roll in the sidebar

Regarding this sidebar, Frank had no need to "apologise for his remarks". Why should he have done so? He hated rock, and he was entitled to his opinion.

He came to like Elvis over the years, and it should be apparent to everyone that his later sentiments were genuine.

Frank never did get to like rock, although his album of "Twist" inspired songs is a doozy!

Cool link, btw.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:56 pm

Further, Bob and Kittra just emailed me after checking his records, he's logged for playing three sessions in Nashville on March 26, 1960

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:19 am

You would have to be completely out of your tree to even suggest that Mitch miller would be playing piano in a Elvis Presley support band.

Let's go the whole hog and have Duane Eddy sitting in on electric bass. Did you spot the Everly bros peeping behind The Jordanaires?

Mitch Miller in an Elvis band-----get a grip!!!!!
Last edited by KiwiAlan on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:22 am

KiwiAlan wrote:You would have to be completely out of your tree to even suggest that Mitch miller would be playing piano in a Elvis Presley support band.

Let's go the whole hog and have Duane Eddy sitting in on electric bass. Did you spot the Evrerly bros peeping behind The Jordanaires?

Mitch Miller in an Elvis band-----get a grip!!!!!

I'll take it you got out of bed the wrong side this morning kiwi, so I shall be polite :D

Get a grip hey? Who said Mitch Miller was in a support Band?

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 am

Yes I did just get out of bed to find that the mere consideration of Mitch Miller continues. It's ridiculous.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:32 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Yes I did just get out of bed to find that the mere consideration of Mitch Miller continues. It's ridiculous.

Well get your ass movin' and YOU find out who it is then :D

B00005LZPA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This Mitch Miller dude looks remarkable like the guy on that Sinatra Screengrab to me........more so than any other photo posted on this thread :D

Now didn't he try and sign Elvis at one time? Maybe he was just there for ol' times sake and decided to join in for a jam....I mean who's to say it was all scripted anyway?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:59 am

I see it not so much as an Elvis band but a Frank Sinatra band with guest musicians---

Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:20 am

I still think its the Miami Union locals. I sent them an email last week but haven't heard back

Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:06 pm

I've just received this delightful e-mail from Jimmie Haskell himself who has confirmed that it was NOT him on the Sinatra show:

"No, that was not me. The only time I worked with Elvis was when I played accordion on 2 songs for the soundtrack and album of
G.I. Blues: WOODEN HEART & RAINBOWS. I also played accordion on Flaming Star, but I did not meet Elvis then.

Working with Elvis for the G.I.Blues film soundtrack was glorious: for 2 full days a very small group of us worked together in the studio: Elvis, his 2 guitarists, his bass player, his drummer,and me, plus the engineer and Colonel Parker in the booth. Even more glorious than that was that Elvis only wanted me to play on those 2 songs, and when I was not playing with the band I was in the booth sitting behind the engineer and the Colonel, and frequently Elvis would come into the booth to hear playbacks, and Elvis and the Colonel would make interesting comments to each other. The fact that I was sitting behind them in the booth did not deter their ability speak freely to each other.

Oh yes. there was one other person in the booth: Elvis' music publisher, Julian Aberbach. He supplied the demo records that we all listened to and learned the songs from. As the band and I sat in in a circle in the studio and then played the accompaniment to the next song, Elvis would walk among us and make comments and tell each musician either "that's good" or "play something different". When he came to me he would decide whether or not he wanted an accordion flavor on that particular song, and he would say to me "keep on playing that" (whatever musical thought I had come up with for that song), or he would say "don't play on this one". And I could choose to sit there quietly as Elvis and the band recorded, or I could go into the booth.
That was really a glorious 2 full days."

In further correspondence, Jimmy notes: "I neglected to mention that during those 2 days of recording, even though Elvis was definitely in charge, he was soft spoken and courteous, and, at times, rather jolly, While in the booth I heard him exhibit a bit if humor."

So the search goes on!

Just to clarify an earlier posting, the musicians we're looking for only played on the two Elvis solo numbers. During the duet none of the small band seems to be playing.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:12 am

George Smith wrote:I've just received this delightful e-mail from Jimmie Haskell himself who has confirmed that it was NOT him on the Sinatra show:

"No, that was not me. The only time I worked with Elvis was when I played accordion on 2 songs for the soundtrack and album of
G.I. Blues: WOODEN HEART & RAINBOWS. I also played accordion on Flaming Star, but I did not meet Elvis then.

Working with Elvis for the G.I.Blues film soundtrack was glorious: for 2 full days a very small group of us worked together in the studio: Elvis, his 2 guitarists, his bass player, his drummer,and me, plus the engineer and Colonel Parker in the booth. Even more glorious than that was that Elvis only wanted me to play on those 2 songs, and when I was not playing with the band I was in the booth sitting behind the engineer and the Colonel, and frequently Elvis would come into the booth to hear playbacks, and Elvis and the Colonel would make interesting comments to each other. The fact that I was sitting behind them in the booth did not deter their ability speak freely to each other.

Oh yes. there was one other person in the booth: Elvis' music publisher, Julian Aberbach. He supplied the demo records that we all listened to and learned the songs from. As the band and I sat in in a circle in the studio and then played the accompaniment to the next song, Elvis would walk among us and make comments and tell each musician either "that's good" or "play something different". When he came to me he would decide whether or not he wanted an accordion flavor on that particular song, and he would say to me "keep on playing that" (whatever musical thought I had come up with for that song), or he would say "don't play on this one". And I could choose to sit there quietly as Elvis and the band recorded, or I could go into the booth.
That was really a glorious 2 full days."

In further correspondence, Jimmy notes: "I neglected to mention that during those 2 days of recording, even though Elvis was definitely in charge, he was soft spoken and courteous, and, at times, rather jolly, While in the booth I heard him exhibit a bit if humor."

So the search goes on!

Just to clarify an earlier posting, the musicians we're looking for only played on the two Elvis solo numbers. During the duet none of the small band seems to be playing.

George, your superb input on this thread is GREATLY appreciated.

Who were those masked men? Someone must know!

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Who were those masked men?
Someone must know!

It's not only for comedians that 'timing is everything' !

It applies to life in general, too.

If this question had been asked 20, 30 or 40 years ago, the chance of an answer being forthcoming would have been much greater !

As it is, we may never know.................................

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:13 am

ColinB wrote:As it is, we may never know.................................

C'mon, old chap -- surely some of your long-standing Elvis connections might be worth a ring on the telly!

We can't just let this one die on the vine!!

Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:As it is, we may never know.................................

C'mon, old chap -- surely some of your long-standing Elvis connections might be worth a ring on the telly!

We can't just let this one die on the vine!!

My 'long-standing' Elvis connections are so long-standing that they're long-gone too !

I've a feeling we're not going to crack this one !

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:37 pm

Perhaps whoever purchased this item could shed some light ...

Elvis: The Official Auction Catalog (Items from the 1960's)
Start: 09 Oct 1999 13:00 Finish: 09 Oct 1999
Lot 1(PriceRealised:$4,250)(Picture) B1 - "WELCOME HOME, ELVIS" DOCUMENTS AND RECEIPTS Documents relating to Elvis' stay in Miami for the Frank Sinatra "Welcome Home, Elvis" television special, including: five hotel bills from the Fontai...

See http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~presley/elnews-auction.htm for further information.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Here's another item of relevance ->

Lot 3($1,750)(Picture) B3 - "WELCOME HOME ELVIS" SCRIPT May 12, 1960 TV script from the Frank Sinatra Timex Show, "Welcome Home Elvis." Fifty-nine pages of dialogue, rehearsal schedule, stage directions, and index with chan...

The auction was over 8 years ago, where is this stuff?

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:31 am

The search is still ongoing, for those who care.

For example, this June 1960 document is interesting, but does not shed light on Elvis' support band.

Any help here will be appreciated.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The search is still ongoing, for those who care.

For example, this June 1960 document is interesting, but does not shed light on Elvis' support band.

Very interesting document indeed. I am sure that most, if not all of those listed names are no longer with us. However, it is still uncomfortable from a privacy standpoint to have social security numbers posted for the world to see.

I am looking forward to hearing more about your research. I have a lead that I am working on too.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The search is still ongoing, for those who care.

Thanks a lot Doc, it is great to see you haven't put this to rest until you get it 'completed'.

It is much appreciated,

Ben

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:46 pm

mjsantafe wrote:Very interesting document indeed ... I am looking forward to hearing more about your research. I have a lead that I am working on too.

The original image posting was in error, now corrected. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Please share your information ASAP. I have been trying for years to find the names of these 3 musicians.

To recap, here's what we have, for now.

Elvis' Band, Miami, FL - March 26, 1960

Scotty Moore - guitar
unknown - acoustic bass
unknown - electric bass
D.J. Fontana - drums
unknown - piano
Jordanaires - backing vocals

-----

In Sessions III (Chicago: JAT, 2004) the author lists one bass player and two drummers. Oops.

-----

At least one photo proves it's not Joe Comfort on bass.

And Bob Moore has confirmed he did not go to Miami for the TV show.

The piano player also remains a mystery and he’s not:

Bill Miller
Nelson Riddle
Jimmy Van Heusen
Floyd Cramer
Marvin Hughes
Harold "Pig" Robbins
Owen Bradley
Henry Strzelecki
Jimmy Haskell

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mjsantafe wrote:Very interesting document indeed ... I am looking forward to hearing more about your research. I have a lead that I am working on too.

The original image posting was in error, now corrected. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Please share your information ASAP. I have been trying for years to find the names of these 3 musicians.

To recap, here's what we have, for now.

Elvis' Band, Miami, FL - March 26, 1960

Scotty Moore - guitar
unknown - acoustic bass
unknown - electric bass
D.J. Fontana - drums
unknown - piano
Jordanaires - backing vocals

-----

In Sessions III (Chicago: JAT, 2004) the author lists one bass player and two drummers. Oops.

-----

At least one photo proves it's not Joe Comfort on bass.

And Bob Moore has confirmed he did not go to Miami for the TV show.

The piano player also remains a mystery and he’s not:

Bill Miller
Nelson Riddle
Jimmy Van Heusen
Floyd Cramer
Marvin Hughes
Harold "Pig" Robbins
Owen Bradley
Henry Strzelecki
Jimmy Haskell

Yeah, we can rule out Fats Domino on piano as well.

Hope this helps.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:43 am

ekenee wrote:Yeah, we can rule out Fats Domino on piano as well.

Hope this helps.

C'mon this is one of the best threads in a while, lets not ruin it.

Try and solve this for us, Doc, and anyone else.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:46 am

ben wrote:
ekenee wrote:Yeah, we can rule out Fats Domino on piano as well.

Hope this helps.

C'mon this is one of the best threads in a while, lets not ruin it.

Try and solve this for us, Doc, and anyone else.

Its not ruined. Don't worry. What's wrong with a little humor?
A thread without humor is ruined as far as I'm concerned.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:09 am

UPDATE

A few new "feelers" have been put out, hopefully, one will bear fruit!

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:47 pm

you could try to write to some music academy in Florida.
These musicians, maybe they knew teachers :smt006