Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:01 am

Chris Black I appreciate your Time.

Doc, may I suggest that further research is needed. I would like to try and contact Sonny West and Lamar Fike, I have already sent off a PM to Joe Esposito.
Anyway lets see what they have to say, if anyone else can get a hold of them too that would be greatly appreciated as well.

I would like to remind members to keep their cool on both sides of the fence.

I have now edited this thread, I do not want to do it again or it goes for good, stop with the insults on both sides of the fence. There is No need for it.

The jury is not out on this yet. I personally think it would be very important and essential at this point to hear from , Sonny West, Lamar Fike, Joe Esposito or George Klein, as all four of them were there that night, August the 10th 1970.

This will take some time, but I am determine to get to the answer we are all looking for one way or another, since this thread is still divided.

So, here's the deal, you want to post in this thread, do so with some new information relating to the topic at hand, if anyone of you cannot do that, do not post in this thread !

Anyone who decides to insult anyone on either side of the fence will be suspended from the forum for a minimum of two weeks, if they plan to log on under a different name and are found out during that suspension, their account will be closed for good and of course their post deleted. This includes anyone and everyone who decides to cross the line.

Thank you.

PEP 8)

Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:11 pm

BIGREDG wrote:What a fascinating thread!! At times very painful reading though.

Will Chris' testimony be believed I wonder? And will we ever find out who it REALLY is?

Find out next time, when you tune in to another gripping episode of As The CD Spins.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:55 pm

Surely Cilla would know! (and no Colin and Spelly, I don't mean Cilla Black!!)

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:16 pm

A little update, I just PMed and emailed through various sources, one being Marty Lacker again who has connections with Sony West and Lamar Fike to have him ask them if it is Clyde McPhatter, I have also asked another member of this forum to check with Sonny West directly, plus I have sent a PM to Joe Esposito as well as George klien.

It would be great if one or two if not all of them come back with a answer in the next few days.

So, from this point on, all we can do is wait and see what any of them may say.

Bottom line is, it would be nice to have enough answers go one way or another and that they are all the same for either side.

PEP 8)

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:37 pm

PEP wrote: Marty Says:
The song Elvis first wanted to cut when he first went to Sun was Clyde's "My Happiness."

With respect, Marty Lacker is wrong on this and he's probably confusing that song with 'Harbor Lights' which was released by Billy Ward and His Dominoes in 1951 with Clyde McPhatter on lead vocal.

Overall, I think Clyde's own widow would be able to tell if it was or wasn't her husband in a photo better than anyone else. And, according to Chris Black, she says that Clyde never met Elvis. Sounds pretty conclusive to me .... :|

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:47 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:
PEP wrote: Marty Says:
The song Elvis first wanted to cut when he first went to Sun was Clyde's "My Happiness."

With respect, Marty Lacker is wrong on this and he's probably confusing that song with 'Harbor Lights' which was released by Billy Ward and His Dominoes in 1951 with Clyde McPhatter on lead vocal.

I think Clyde's own widow would be able to tell if it was or wasn't her husband in a photo better than anyone else. And, according to Chris Black, she says that Clyde never met Elvis. Sounds pretty conclusive to me .... :|

Well, yes and know. I say that because it would appear some are still divided on what they have read or believe at this point. To help make things right, I still think it would be a good idea to hear from some of the MM members that I mentioned, as they were there that night and they may have the finale answer as to who it is, McPhatter or not.
I mean I look at those pictures and I got to tell you I am not sure myself, I keep on swaying back and forth. I know I would feel more confortable hearing something from the four.
PEP 8)

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:51 pm

At the risk of being bombarded by insults and sarcastic comments about my eyesight from a couple of guys, I still don't see the resemblance.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:07 pm

speedoo wrote:At the risk of being bombarded by insults and sarcastic comments about my eyesight from a couple of guys, I still don't see the resemblance.

Well, I will say sometimes I do not see the resemblance either. there are certain features that do not appear to match up and then again some features do. It is a tough one. At the same time the comments made to Elvis "You Did All Of My Moves" is a key.

Lets just hope one or two or all four MM reply within a week. To help put this all at rest.

PEP 8)

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:12 pm

Clyde McPhatter "says Hello - Aug 1970"

PEP "says goodbye - Dec. 6, 2008".

Hey PEP,

Matey I reckon you should shut this thread for good b4 certain folks gets their blood pressure up, hahahahaha!!!!

All...Power...To...PEP

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:17 pm

walter hale wrote:Clyde McPhatter "says Hello - Aug 1970"

PEP "says goodbye - Dec. 6, 2008".

Hey PEP,

Matey I reckon you should shut this thread for good b4 certain folks gets their blood pressure up, hahahahaha!!!!

All...Power...To...PEP

Nobody should be going after anyone, from here on in, I've made that perfectly clear at the top of the page, plus we still need some answer's still from the four MM members I mentioned.

PEP 8)

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:31 pm

yeah but PEP, It was more than 38 years ago IF ... and it's a big IF...McPhatter saw Elvis in Vegas. I wouldn't hold my breath my friend.

also some of the MM are starting to get on in years and
also may not have particularly good memories.

PEP didja see "LED ZEPPELIN sings Elvis" in the off-topic!

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:53 pm

walter hale wrote:yeah but PEP, It was more than 38 years ago IF ... and it's a big IF...McPhatter saw Elvis in Vegas. I wouldn't hold my breath my friend.
We are talking about four MM members, so the odds are pretty good one or two should come up with something. Sonny as a rule has a pretty good memory and so does Fike.....Klein isn't bad for memory at times and it will be interesting to hear what Esposito says, just the same. Plus the fact remains they were all there that night and the pictures should help jog the memory.

also some of the MM are starting to get on in years and
also may not have particularly good memories.
Out of the four, Esposito has the worst memory out side looking in and klein wings it at times., but I think over all Sonny and Fike will be a good bet.

PEP didja see "LED ZEPPELIN sings Elvis" in the off-topic!
Nope.

PEP 8)

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:41 pm

PEP wrote:A little update, I just PMed and emailed through various sources, one being Marty Lacker again who has connections with Sony West and Lamar Fike to have him ask them if it is Clyde McPhatter, I have also asked another member of this forum to check with Sonny West directly, plus I have sent a PM to Joe Esposito as well as George klien.
PEP 8)

George Klein can be clearly seen on this footage (or is it him?), so that would be nice. No?

That said... it is sad that this rather insignificant issue is ruining the mood here, not to mention the fact that the links with the original story are really worth checking out.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:31 pm

HEy PEP,

If Sonny has a good memory as you feel he does, then what about sending a pm to him and ask if he was around when Led Zeppelin, George Harrison or Clapton attended an Elvis show and/or spoke to him backstage.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:40 pm

Man I would just loved to know if George was aware of Elvis' treatment on his "Something" classic ballad. Perhaps if they'd release the 1970 Vegas master,
Elvis would have had the distinction of being the first recording artist to have waxed it following the Beatles.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:19 pm

Apart from the fact that Memphis Mafia types often get it wrong because of the understandable and almost inevitable effects of time on memory (exacerbated or not by being chemically altered at the time in question), and that things get even more tricky when you factor in the tendency of some to say what they think makes the biggest splash or fulfills some agenda, the truth is that the people around Elvis saw all kinds of famous people over the years and it'd be pretty easy for it to become something of a blur unless the celebrities in question particularly stood out in some way. And on opening night, to add to the fun, I'd think Elvis and the entourage would have been less attentive than normal after the release provided by getting the big show done -- there were, too, quite a few people to meet at that party.

In other words, I think there're a lot of valid reasons to place no particular credence in anything these friends and so-called friends of Elvis might say regarding whether this particular man is or is not the great Clyde McPhatter. As far as reliable witnesses are concerned, I'd tend to think that a man's wife is more likely to recognize him (or distinguish him from someone else) than a bunch of people whose primary focus was elsewhere would be to suddenly recall his presence almost 40 years on.

Not that I'm saying it's inconceivable that this is McPhatter, just that I wouldn't rely on the accuracy of the usual suspects' confirmation of that.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:54 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Apart from the fact that Memphis Mafia types often get it wrong because of the understandable and almost inevitable effects of time on memory (exacerbated or not by being chemically altered at the time in question), and that things get even more tricky when you factor in the tendency of some to say what they think makes the biggest splash or fulfills some agenda, the truth is that the people around Elvis saw all kinds of famous people over the years and it'd be pretty easy for it to become something of a blur unless the celebrities in question particularly stood out in some way. And on opening night, to add to the fun, I'd think Elvis and the entourage would have been less attentive than normal after the release provided by getting the big show done -- there were, too, quite a few people to meet at that party.
Some of what you say could hold true, but you also have to remember some one would have had to set up the invites too, I'm guessing Esposito may have done this. Plus lets look at it on another side of the coin these two guest's did stick out, as it looks like they along with Sammy Davis Jr were the only Black men there by the looks of it. I would say that is kinda noticeable. Especially in 1970.
In other words, I think there're a lot of valid reasons to place no particular credence in anything these friends and so-called friends of Elvis might say regarding whether this particular man is or is not the great Clyde McPhatter. As far as reliable witnesses are concerned, I'd tend to think that a man's wife is more likely to recognize him (or distinguish him from someone else) than a bunch of people whose primary focus was elsewhere would be to suddenly recall his presence almost 40 years on.
Well, again you make a valid point, however lets say for the sake of argument all four come back and say, "Yes" that is Clyde McPhatter, plus explain why they know this or believe this, this will certainly add to what has already been said. In the end i hope we will also find out who he is either way.
Not that I'm saying it's inconceivable that this is McPhatter, just that I wouldn't rely on the accuracy of the usual suspects' confirmation of that.
if any of these guys come back with any doubt or do not know, this I think will say more.

PEP 8)

Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:46 am

Nothing new to add, except to say that this man sure looks like Clyde McPhatter, the eyes and chin give it away. Also Clyde besides that God-given voice and charisma, had a big ego as well, like most great entertainers.

His half-comical "you stole my moves" is in line with that ego of his. It's something Little Richard could have uttered also.

Another useful exercise would be, since it obviously is an entertainer, to sum up in a list who else it could be among black R&B entertainers, that is important enough for Elvis to get himself invited up there at that party in the company of Cary Grant and Sammy Davis Jr. ?

Jackie Wilson it ain't. Who else could be on that list?

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:25 am

epf wrote:
That said... it is sad that this rather insignificant issue is ruining the mood here, not to mention the fact that the links with the original story are really worth checking out.

epf, I think you may have misunderstood......learning about Elvis Presley and his life story or his Discography etc is the last thing on some peoples minds when they visit this board :wink:

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:50 am

Little Darlin wrote:
epf wrote:

epf, I think you may have misunderstood......learning about Elvis Presley and his life story or his Discography etc is the last thing on some peoples minds when they visit this board :wink:

Really?

Then why do we bother vising here - If it's not to find out the whole story of Elvis Presley?

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:58 am

Keith F wrote: Really?

Then why do we bother vising here - If it's not to find out the whole story of Elvis Presley?

Indeed. Only "some" people have a slightly narrower agenda. Self aggrandizement being one such loathsome objective.

Despicable in fact.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:28 am

BIGREDG wrote:
Keith F wrote: Really?

Indeed. Only "some" people have a slightly narrower agenda. Self aggrandizement being one such loathsome objective.

Despicable in fact.

Hear hear.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:28 am

Posted twice.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:59 am

Pep, I'm sorry I have no "new information" as per your dicate :lol: but I'm inclined to go with DJC on this one. I've butted heads with Carpenter before but I have to admit he's on target here and I believe him when he says Ernst Jorgensen backs him up.

Ernst is as experienced an Elvis "detective" as there is and he would not have casually said "that's him" if it wasn't apparent to him.

For the most part, it looks like the legendary Clyde McPhatter and why else and who else plausiably might
have said such a thing to Elvis? Jackie Wilson? It is decidedly not him.

McPhatter it is!

Let's not over-think this!

But I look forward to Pep's feedback from the retired MM guys as an additional confirmation. The resemblence is just too strong in some of those shots and I say that a long-time fan of African-American jazz, blues and R&B (scores of books, CDs, DVDs and I have seen many concerts, and done radio interviews, etc.

I noticed this person awhile ago (was it in the Star videos?) but never heard the comment or went further with it.

Hats off to DJC for this interesting topic and to Pep for his further research!

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Whether it is or isn't Clyde, why do some folks get so heated up over it?

The world's not coming to a sudden end, that the identity of the black man
in the photo/video with Elvis, needs to be resolved at once b4 it does.
Hahaha hahaha