Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:59 pm

Here's the footage.

phpBB [video]

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:17 pm

Bodie wrote:Here's the footage.

phpBB [video]



Anyone watched the whole movie to see if the guy appears in the background anywhere?

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:56 am

speedoo wrote:I can't see the resemblance regardless of who posted it, do you understand that?

If you say so, though I think you'll find you can get an eye test for free under the NHS these days.
speedoo wrote:Think before you post.

Oh but I do...very carefully indeed. Perhaps that's why I haven't been banned from the site and felt the need to return under an assumed log-in name.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:30 pm

Mike S wrote:
speedoo wrote:I can't see the resemblance regardless of who posted it, do you understand that?

If you say so, though I think you'll find you can get an eye test for free under the NHS these days.
speedoo wrote:Think before you post.

Oh but I do...very carefully indeed. Perhaps that's why I haven't been banned from the site and felt the need to return under an assumed log-in name.


You need to get your facts right or show us the evidence. At present you're looking very silly Mike because you're assuming things, although to be fair, possibly because you've been fed erroneous information by your little friend who keeps shouting BINGO all over the place, as if that proves anything.

....AND I still can't see the resemblance and nor can a few others regardless of your cheap NHS cracks, so, stop having a go at me over this. I haven't said it isn't him, I just can't see that it is and I've explained why. Can you show me where I have said this is not Clyde McPhatter? NO? Well well! You're coming across as very judgemental with a very closed mind. Show me that it's Clyde and I'll accept it.

If you feel you need to have a go at me in order to defend someone with a fragile ego, whose every line you swallow, that's your problem. It seems you're very similar in that you can't accept that someone else can have a different view to yours.

Take care and keep your eyes open. You might learn something to your advantage.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:18 am

speedoo wrote:You need to get your facts right or show us the evidence.

You should bear in mind that a person's writing style is as individual and revealing as a signature....perhaps more so. It is obvious to anyone with average insight (especially those, like me, who have had exchanges with you before) exactly who you are....or at least which username you adopted before. If your writing style wasn't enough, we have the same agenda and some particularly significant friends. Too bad, your cover is blown.

Now whether it turns out to be Clyde McPhatter or not, is not the issue regarding my comments to you. You, alone, stated that you couldn't see the resemblance "at all,"which is plainly ridiculous given that everyone else, including "Chris Black," admitted there were similarities.

It is obvious to all of us here that you were using the doubt caused by "Mr. Black's" post as an opportunity to belittle the Doc which you then tried to capitalise on further in another post criticising his writing style. However, in this case it has backfired and it is you who is left looking silly.

Best now to stop digging, although I suppose you could argue that you have little credibility left to lose.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:41 am

Mike S wrote:
speedoo wrote:You need to get your facts right or show us the evidence.

You should bear in mind that a person's writing style is as individual and revealing as a signature....perhaps more so. It is obvious to anyone with average insight (especially those, like me, who have had exchanges with you before) exactly who you are....or at least which username you adopted before. If your writing style wasn't enough, we have the same agenda and some particularly significant friends. Too bad, your cover is blown.

Now whether it turns out to be Clyde McPhatter or not, is not the issue regarding my comments to you. You, alone, stated that you couldn't see the resemblance "at all,"which is plainly ridiculous given that everyone else, including "Chris Black," admitted there were similarities.

It is obvious to all of us here that you were using the doubt caused by "Mr. Black's" post as an opportunity to belittle the Doc which you then tried to capitalise on further in another post criticising his writing style. However, in this case it has backfired and it is you who is left looking silly.

Best now to stop digging, although I suppose you could argue that you have little credibility left to lose.


You completely missed my point when I referred to you getting your facts right. You made a statement which was erroneous and you still haven't picked up on it.

Re Clyde, read this, I don't see the resemblance. That's it. Just in case you didn't get it, I don't see the resemblance. I've also said why I don't see it.

I don't know if you remember this debate some time back, but this picture was posted. Some people thought it was Elvis, some thought it was Charlie. Same thing.
Charlie0002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
speedoo wrote:Yeah they both go "BINGO" amongst other things.

Your exegesis is simply stunning. And erroneous.

My writing style is far superior to midnightx.


Thanks for the chuckle.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 am

I sent off a email to Marty Lacker through Elvis Express Radio
http://www.elvis-express.com/elvisradio_askmarty5.html
to see if whether or not he thought Clyde McPhatter was the person in the screen shots. This what I asked and this is what he said.

PEP Asks Marty: [04.12.08]
Would you happen to know if this Clyde McPhatter standing next to Elvis August 10th 1970?
SEEN HERE

Image
Marty Says:
Hi there PEP,
It looks like him. Elvis and us also met The Drifters who Clyde used to sing with in the early days.
The song Elvis first wanted to cut when he first went to Sun was Clyde's "My Happiness."

So, there ya go, One down, one to go, we are now just waiting on Chris Black to come back with a answer hopefully from Clyde McPatter's daugther.

PEP 8)

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:59 am

PEP wrote:Marty Says: "Hi there PEP, It looks like him.

That's nice information, as Marty knows a thing or two about 1950s R&B.

Having reviewed the video clip, it is blatantly obvious that's R&B legend and inspiration Clyde McPhatter, from his "moves" comment, to the sound of his voice and his interaction with Elvis, not to mention the fact that it looks like him.

That was a small room, and only the elite got to go back there to say hello to the star after the opening night show. McPhatter's entry would be a no-brainer.

Also, PEP, your collage from these clips unfortunately focuses not only on Clyde but one or two other fellows who were with him (probably members of his band, as he was probably playing in town).

That said, I extracted the best of your correct comparisons here:


Image

Clyde - 1970, 1960

They are one and the same.

Furthermore, your effort also proves that there were not one but TWO cameras rolling at the August 10, 1970 OS after-party!


Image

Elvis and Clyde, Camera ONE


Image

Elvis and Clyde, Camera TWO

Thanks to all the good people who contributed to this wonderful topic.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:03 am

Way cool topic. It does seem like McPhatter in the picture and if Ernst confirms it there must be some sort of evidence. As we all know, Ernst is extremely careful about rumors. Thanks Doc for posting it.

Chris Black thanks for insights from Clyde's widow. It is very cool he liked Elvis' music especially a later track like "In the Ghetto."

Also nice work on the photo PEP.

McPhatter was hugely influential in the 1950s. With the Dominoes and with the Drifters he pioneered an R/B gospel fusion before even Ray Charles. I think his army draft came at the wrong time and broke a lot of his momentum. I also don't know that the casual pop fan knew him as the same singer who tore up the Drifters' "White Christmas" and "Money Honey." Plus, the McPhatter Drifters were just a hair early. The big pop success of rock n' roll happened right when McPhatter was leaving. The Drifters didn't get significant pop success until the Ben E. King led group.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:56 pm

PEP wrote:One down, one to go, we are now just waiting on Chris Black to come back with a answer hopefully from Clyde McPatter's daugther.

Surely you're not expecting "Chris Black" to come back and admit he was wrong after all the fuss he's caused? (The most you're likely to get is him saying that his widow/daughter isn't 'returning calls at the moment').

It seems obvious you can trust the Doc when it comes to matters concerning identity....for proof I refer you to his correction for the picture caption in the latest edition of TMAHM....."Chris Black" didn't reply to that one did he?

Nice work Doc btw...

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:27 pm

That is Clyde McPhatter in the footage. No doubt about it.

EDIT: not so sure about!
Last edited by Renan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 pm

Mike S wrote:
PEP wrote:One down, one to go, we are now just waiting on Chris Black to come back with a answer hopefully from Clyde McPatter's daugther.

Surely you're not expecting "Chris Black" to come back and admit he was wrong after all the fuss he's caused?


Well, yes, personally I wish that he would come back with a truthful answer either way.

I do not know what the big deal would be.

Here is a perfect example for No one to get involve in personalities here. The idea is to get to the truth. Not to insult anyone or belittle anyone or to stir up the thread for One's own selfish reason's...gezzz. I mean man, I do not care who it is.

If Chris Black did come back with a answer and it were in favour that either the daughter or his widow came back with a yes that it is in fact McPatter, we should thank him for his honesty and effort and leave it at that. If it goes the other way, there is need for more research. No one should go after anyone !

PEP 8)

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:37 pm

Sorry it's taken a while to get back (and that apology is to those who care,), but let's put this to bed once and for all by using facts and testimony. I've spoken to Clyde McPhatter's widow, Lee Rackley, and she's looked at the screen grab I sent her that some misguided people here think shows Elvis with Clyde McPhatter. As I suspected, it's not Clyde. Lee told me they never met. She says that Clyde often said he'd like to meet Elvis but the opportunity never arose. I told her the photo was taken in August 1970 in Las Vegas and she confirmed that Clyde wasn't in Vegas that year. He was living in England until the middle of 1970, then returned to make an LP for Decca in Philadelphia. (Dates and places can be checked in the booklet to the Bear Family box-set 'Rhythm & Soul'.) Lee told me that Clyde wasn't moving in the same circles as Elvis at that time and was finding it very hard to find work. Sad but true, he probably could not have afforded to go to Vegas if he'd wanted to.

So, based on actual research and not speculation, there's the truth.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:40 pm

Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson and Roy Hamilton were better!

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 pm

I have just noticed something on the footage that some may have missed.

If i have got this right,at 7-9secs of the footage, Elvis shakes hand with a person who has his back to the camera and it looks like the same person who is being taken in for Clyde but when Elvis shakes hands with him he refers to him as 'Alvis' or 'Ellis', cant quite make out what Elvis said but he certainly doesnt call him Clyde,just before he shakes the hand of the man with the brown checkered jacket.U can just see 'clyde' on the right which is why im guessing he could have been the same guy with his back to Elvis who he had just shaken hands with.
phpBB [video]

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:51 pm

walter hale wrote:Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson and Roy Hamilton were better!


I can't see the resemblance to them either Walter.

Thanks Chris for letting us know. This will be interesting. How long before this thread is deleted?

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:04 pm

Chris Black wrote:Sorry it's taken a while to get back (and that apology is to those who care,), but let's put this to bed once and for all by using facts and testimony. I've spoken to Clyde McPhatter's widow, Lee Rackley, and she's looked at the screen grab I sent her that some misguided people here think shows Elvis with Clyde McPhatter. As I suspected, it's not Clyde. Lee told me they never met. She says that Clyde often said he'd like to meet Elvis but the opportunity never arose. I told her the photo was taken in August 1970 in Las Vegas and she confirmed that Clyde wasn't in Vegas that year. He was living in England until the middle of 1970, then returned to make an LP for Decca in Philadelphia. (Dates and places can be checked in the booklet to the Bear Family box-set 'Rhythm & Soul'.) Lee told me that Clyde wasn't moving in the same circles as Elvis at that time and was finding it very hard to find work. Sad but true, he probably could not have afforded to go to Vegas if he'd wanted to.

So, based on actual research and not speculation, there's the truth.



Well, I be dammed.
Out of curiosity Chris Black, did McPatter's window have any idea who the gentlemen is? Do you have any idea's or suggestion's as to who it is?

PEP 8)

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:16 pm

Well i thought that Clyde came back to the US from England around Feb, 1970.

Chris,
Is there any chance you can paste/copy the email you got onto this thread? Be interesting to read it.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:18 pm

What a fascinating thread!! At times very painful reading though.

Will Chris' testimony be believed I wonder? And will we ever find out who it REALLY is?

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:33 pm

Sorry Chris but i will only believe the email you got is real if you pasted it up on the thread.

Your bashing of the Doc seems you are desperate to get one over on him at any cost and its confusing why you havent put up the original email you got.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Hi Bodie - he says he spoke to her. He doesn't mention receiving an email.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Chris Black wrote:I've spoken to Clyde McPhatter's widow, Lee Rackley ...

What happened to the "daughter"? She must have been "busy."

Frankly, the content of this thread overwhelmingly supports my view.

While we have audio and visual evidence here, confirmation from Elvis Presley -- and rock -- music expert Ernst Jorgensen, direct testimony from longtime Elvis friend and music industry man Marty Lacker, we are now expected to completely accept a second-hand quote from someone you claim is McPhatter's "widow."

Sorry, that dog don't hunt.

Even if your contact is not dubious, the single observation of some poor woman in her mid-to-late seventies cannot usurp all that we have here.

Additionally, some of "her" thoughts are wrong.

Welcome Home (Decca DL 75231) was released by Decca sometime between July and November 1970. One might assume Clyde had returned to the U.S. prior to that to record the disc, and of course be around during that time frame to promote his comeback album.

Here's the back cover of that summer/fall 1970 release:


Image


Despite "her" reply, we can all see this man looks EXACTLY like Clyde McPhatter, is clearly able to access the backstage party in Las Vegas, speak one-on-one with the biggest star in the world, and tell him "you stole all my moves."

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:52 pm

Just to clarify a few things. I didn't get an e-mail from Lee, I spoke to her on the phone after I sent the screen grab to her daughter. As I mentioned in an earlier message, I had spoken to Lee many years ago. She's a lovely lady and it was great to catch up with her again. No, she had no idea who the man in the picture is with Elvis. All she knew for sure is that it wasn't Clyde.

In my previous post I reported the facts as they are. Can't do anymore.

Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:58 pm

Chris Black wrote:Can't do anymore.

Sure you can.