Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:52 am

Chris Black wrote:Hate to spoil the party but that's not Clyde McPhatter.

You spoil nothing because you are mistaken. The image is unmistakably McPhatter.

In addition, if one listens to the audio that goes along with the screen shot, it is clear about both singers know each other, and their shared histories.

Finally, one of the greatest Presley authorities on the planet, Ernst Jorgensen, also confimed my assertion is 100% correct.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:21 am

Chris, i have this image in my mind of you saying to Elvis at the after-show party on Aug 10th,
Chris Black wrote:Hate to spoil the party but that's not Clyde McPhatter.
just after that photo has been taken. :smt005

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:36 am

[quote="drjohncarpenterFinally, one of the greatest Presley authorities on the planet, Ernst Jorgensen, also confimed my assertion is 100% correct.

Go ruin another topic, you are wasting bandwidth here.

Ernst may be a great Presley authority but he's not a great Clyde McPhatter authority. Once again, it's not Clyde.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:42 am

Chris Black wrote: A blurry screengrab of Elvis with someone who looks a little like Clyde did circa 1970 isn't evidence in my book. I was in contact with Clyde's ... She never once mentioned that the two had met. Don't you think she would have mentioned it when we were discussing that very topic?

Chris Black wrote: I've been a Clyde McPhatter fan all my life and would love to think that he and Elvis met, but believe me, that's not Clyde in that picture.

A couple of very salient points here, particularly the first one.

At this stage, it is impossible - for us, anyway - to know either way. To say it's definitely Clyde is pure speculation.

Chris, is it possible to resume contact with Clyde's wife to specifically ask her? Is she still alive?

It's interesting that certain posters are so willing to dismiss Chris' opinion despite his assertion that he has been a Clyde fan all his life, ie someone who would know more than the rest of us who aren't experts on the man or particularly huge fans.

As I said, at this stage, it could go either way.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:28 am

Chris Black wrote:Ernst may be a great Presley authority ...

Actually, no.

Ernst Jorgensen is a historian with a great knowledge of rock and roll history.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:01 pm

huh??

did anyone actually follow the links and found some treasures or did this subject got stuck on a blurry pic?

regardless of what your opinion is as far as that picture is concerned..... just follow the links in the main article...

again... great stuff!

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Where in the UK do you hail from, Chris?

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:38 pm

My job takes me all over the UK, so thank the Lord for laptops. I'm in North Yorkshire at the moment. Why do you ask?

The good news is that I've found an old phone number for Clyde McPhatter's widow. I put a call in a few minutes ago and the number still works! The lady herself wasn't in but I'm trying again later. I did find out that her daughter has access to the internet, so once we make contact I'm sending her a copy of the picture all of this is about. I'll report back when there's something to tell.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:27 pm

Chris Black wrote:My job takes me all over the UK, so thank the Lord for laptops. I'm in North Yorkshire at the moment. Why do you ask?

The use of the word "gobshite".

Chris Black wrote:The good news is that I've found an old phone number for Clyde McPhatter's widow. I put a call in a few minutes ago and the number still works! The lady herself wasn't in but I'm trying again later. I did find out that her daughter has access to the internet, so once we make contact I'm sending her a copy of the picture all of this is about. I'll report back when there's something to tell.

This ought to be interesting.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:17 am

An email I just received from "themaltesebippy" at http://larryhovis.net/room333/ a Clyde fansite.

"Hi there!

Elvis was a great fan of Clyde. Clyde started wearing a toupee in the early 70's. I can't tell if the person in this pic is wearing one or not.

I looked though some info at home I have about Clyde and there was nothing about him and Elvis meeting.

Charlemange."

The pic does not appear to show "Clyde" in a toupee, so ...

And you'd think that serious Clyde fans would have info on a meeting, like we do when Elvis met other stars, so ...

Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:28 am

Clyde started wearing a toupee in the early 70's.

The pic does not appear to show "Clyde" in a toupee, so ...

Er, so maybe it proved that he started wearing toupee's after August 1970 - the early 70's could mean 71-74.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:35 am

DarrylMac wrote:Er, so maybe it proved that he started wearing toupee's after August 1970 - the early 70's could mean 71-74.

Your figures may be a tad off, considering Clyde carked it in '72!

But I see your point.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:37 am

lol - ok, Scott, you got me there!!!!!

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:50 am

I've found an old phone number for Clyde McPhatter's widow. I put a call in a few minutes ago and the number still works! The lady herself wasn't in but I'm trying again later. I did find out that her daughter has access to the internet,

Gee, what would be "her" name? And how would one find an "old number"? And how does a U.K. traveller determine that a "daughter" of McPhatter has internet access?

There are many fools on the internet, and anyone who gives the naysayer any credence here is lowering their standards.

There is no need to "call" McPhatter's "widow."

That's the great Clyde McPhatter with Elvis, period.

You can trust the doc -- and Ernst Jorgensen -- or you can believe the words of some U.K.-bound "fan" with 134 posts on the forum.

God bless!

Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
I've found an old phone number for Clyde McPhatter's widow. I put a call in a few minutes ago and the number still works! The lady herself wasn't in but I'm trying again later. I did find out that her daughter has access to the internet,

Gee, what would be "her" name? And how would one find an "old number"? And how does a U.K. traveller determine that a "daughter" of McPhatter has internet access?

There are many fools on the internet, and anyone who gives the naysayer any credence here is lowering their standards.

That's the great Clyde McPhatter with Elvis, period.

You can trust the doc -- and Ernst Jorgensen -- or you can believe the words of some U.K.-bound "fan" with 134 posts on the forum.

God bless!

Oh yeah, I see your great sense of humour is coming into play again. Great joke Doc, really funny.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Gee, what would be "her" name? And how would one find an "old number"? And how does a U.K. traveller determine that a "daughter" of McPhatter has internet access?

What, are you implying that if Chris Black posts a response that ends up contrary to yours, he's just making it up?

If so ... deadset goose. And if so, say it directly.

Obviously, it was the daughter who told Chris she has internet access, during their call. I'm sure Chris will be honest with his post if it comes back as confirmed by Clyde's widow.

Which, if it is, you'll of course refuse to believe. And if it is, or isn't, so be it.

drjohncarpenter wrote:You can trust the doc -- and Ernst Jorgensen -- or you can believe the words of some U.K.-bound "fan" with 134 posts on the forum.

And what's the amount of posts got to do with anything? Does your 134th post below lack credibility then?

drjohncarpenter wrote:The arrangement of "I Can't Stop Loving You" from 26 June 1977 is due as much to fatigue as it is lack of recent performances or amount of medication. Elvis put out a bit more that night for a number of reasons.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:27 am

Regarding the picture Doc originally posted, I don't know if any of you were aware including the Doc, that was a screen shot taken from the TTWII clips of the party Elvis had after his Opening Show in Vegas on August 10th 1970.
Anyway, since I now know that, which I didn't at first, I have now looked at the footage again, where I took a few more screen shots from different angles.
The thing's I've noticed, for example, when One look's at the side profile, One can see the nose is very close, the eye brow on his right hand side is simular, it appears to have the same angle and length over the eye. The cheek area looks similar too, the way it takes shape around the smile, the over all smile including teeth and chin do look very close. Still, just the same, One can't be positive going by all these pictures that is in fact Clyde McPatter as there are differences too, where it does not look like Clyde McPatter either.
Take note this person does mention to Elvis in the clip in a joking way "You did all my moves" so, obviously he is a entertainer. If Chris Black is able to get in touch with the daughter and she get's to see these pictures it may help.
PEP 8)

Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:32 pm

It's obviously Sam Cooke, er no, it's Jackie Wilson,, no, no, it's the Rev Green, oh hang on, it's Diana Ross.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:33 pm

speedoo wrote:It's obviously Sam Cooke, er no, it's Jackie Wilson,, no, no, it's the Rev Green, oh hang on, it's Diana Ross.

speedoo, I know your being sarcastic now. But out of curiosity sake, who do you really think, it is?

PEP 8)

Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:59 pm

PEP wrote:
speedoo wrote:It's obviously Sam Cooke, er no, it's Jackie Wilson,, no, no, it's the Rev Green, oh hang on, it's Diana Ross.

speedoo, I know your being sarcastic now. But out of curiosity sake, who do you really think, it is?

PEP 8)

What I really think is that we should ask someone who knows, like Marty maybe. If says it's Clyde, that's good enough for me. All I'm saying is I can't see the resemblance. What happened to all your pictures?

Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:And how does a U.K. traveller determine that a "daughter" of McPhatter has internet access?

Because "Mr. Black" is being deliberately evasive to conceal his true identity....if only they knew "Chris Black," eh?
drjohncarpenter wrote:....or you can believe the words of some U.K.-bound "fan" with 134 posts on the forum

Don't forget Doc, that's only under this pseudonym.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

You can trust the doc or you can believe the words of some U.K.-bound "fan" with 134 posts on the forum

I didn't realise there was an entry level. The number of posts determines your level of knowledge then? Hmmm!

By the way, just a question, no offence, but why do you refer to yourself in the 3rd person? This is quite an interesting condition called illeism. this is just one of the descriptors: "I think that self-talk is at least as loony as (name given) practice of referring to himself in the third person in spoken conversation. It indicates to me a vastly overblown ego. -- ''(The name for this practice is "illeism")".

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:39 pm

speedoo wrote:By the way, just a question, no offence....

Please don't take us for fools.
speedo wrote:All I'm saying is I can't see the resemblance.

Of course you can't....at least not while you allow your ridiculous bias to cloud your judgement.

Whether this turns out to be Clyde McPhatter or not, there can hardly be any doubt that in many of PEP's photos there is more than a passing resemblance to suggest that it could be.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:45 pm

Mike S wrote:
speedoo wrote:By the way, just a question, no offence....

Please don't take us for fools.

Don't act like one then.
speedo wrote:All I'm saying is I can't see the resemblance.

Of course you can't....at least not while you allow your ridiculous bias to cloud your judgement.

Whether this turns out to be Clyde McPhatter or not, there can hardly be any doubt that in many of PEP's photos there is more than a passing resemblance to suggest that it could be.

It could be, it might not be. I don't see the resemblance, but I haven't said it isn't him.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:02 pm

speedoo wrote:It could be, it might not be. I don't see the resemblance, but I haven't said it isn't him.

As you maintain that it could be, there must be a reasonable likeness to give you cause to think so.

Bias exposed....case closed.