Re: Clyde McPhatter Says Hello -> August 1970

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:17 pm

PEP - if you shoud get any response from Sonny West one way or another re. the McPhatter photograph -
Do you reckon it would be a good idea to send another pm re: if Sonny was at all present when either Harrison, Clapton or Robert Plant met up with Elvis at some later date?

Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:03 pm

DJC has made rock solid contributions on this matter from start to finish. The only mistake I see is that he quoted McPhatter as saying, "You stole all my moves", when PEP and others (including myself) hear, "You did all my moves."

PEP solidified DJC's assertions all the more when he posted those enlarged shots of McPhatter. Take a second look at his collage:

The adjacent images of McPhatter in the top-right corner show the same zig-zag pattern along his fringe. The sideburns are an exact match for the shot of him further down from that LP. His eyes crease up in the same way when he's smiling. All his facial features are an exact match. Like The Doc, I don't know why we're even discussing this.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:09 pm

Cryogenic wrote:DJC has made rock solid contributions on this matter from start to finish.
The only mistake I see is that he quoted McPhatter as saying, "You stole all my moves", when PEP and others (including myself) hear,
"You did all my moves."

It's just a thought, but is there any truth in this claim ?

Did Clyde move in an Elvis-like way when performing ?

Just out of interest, mind you, it won't prove anything either way....................................

Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:18 pm

ColinB wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:DJC has made rock solid contributions on this matter from start to finish.
The only mistake I see is that he quoted McPhatter as saying, "You stole all my moves", when PEP and others (including myself) hear,
"You did all my moves."

It's just a thought, but is there any truth in this claim ?

Did Clyde move in an Elvis-like way when performing ?

Just out of interest, mind you, it won't prove anything either way....................................

It could have been said in jest for all we know.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:36 pm

j
Last edited by kevinstevenage on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:45 pm

kevinstevenage wrote:Hi Kevin in Stevenage here. I do not want to get involved in any in fighting but was reading this post with interest and would like to put forward a suggestion to who the gentleman is. I think it is one of the original Drifters, Bill Pinkney, who passed away last year. I am certain it is not Clyde McPhatter. Bill is front on the album cover and at the back on the publicity photo. Hope this gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.All the best from Kevin.
ImageImage

You might have solved this mystery!

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Aye carumba!

He seems to be a staggeringly close match for both men. It's definitely one of those damn Drifters!

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:54 pm

It is certainly not Bill Pinkney.

Sorry Chris for speculating it was an email you got when it was a phonecall.

Has anyone got an opinon of my comments earlier in this thread which i have re-posted, below?

Bodie wrote:I have just noticed something on the footage that some may have missed.

If i have got this right,at 7-9secs of the footage, Elvis shakes hand with a person who has his back to the camera and it looks like the same person who is being taken in for Clyde but when Elvis shakes hands with him he refers to him as 'Alvis' or 'Ellis', cant quite make out what Elvis said but he certainly doesnt call him Clyde,just before he shakes the hand of the man with the brown checkered jacket.U can just see 'clyde' on the right which is why im guessing he could have been the same guy with his back to Elvis who he had just shaken hands with.
phpBB [video]

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Bodie wrote:
phpBB [video]

I think Elvis is saying Alice and not Ellis -- he's looking away from Clydewhen he's saying it, as though he's saying hello Alice before shaking Clyde's hand.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:38 pm

Little Darlin wrote:
Bodie wrote:
phpBB [video]

I think Elvis is saying Alice and not Ellis -- he's looking away from Clydewhen he's saying it, as though he's saying hello Alice before shaking Clyde's hand.

Well, it looks like he was talking to 'Clyde' when he said what he said.He looked directly at 'Clyde' shaking his hand and said 'hello, ? , good to meet you'.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:20 am

Bodie wrote:It is certainly not Bill Pinkney.

Sorry Chris for speculating it was an email you got when it was a phonecall.

Has anyone got an opinon of my comments earlier in this thread which i have re-posted, below?

Bodie wrote:I have just noticed something on the footage that some may have missed.

If i have got this right,at 7-9secs of the footage, Elvis shakes hand with a person who has his back to the camera and it looks like the same person who is being taken in for Clyde but when Elvis shakes hands with him he refers to him as 'Alvis' or 'Ellis', cant quite make out what Elvis said but he certainly doesnt call him Clyde,just before he shakes the hand of the man with the brown checkered jacket.U can just see 'clyde' on the right which is why im guessing he could have been the same guy with his back to Elvis who he had just shaken hands with.
phpBB [video]

I thought he said "Alan". Man, we ought to get Ironside on the case.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:29 am

Maybe he said "hello, Elvis," in reference to the moves he borrowed (or because, after shaking and sweating it on opening night, it's easy to get confused).

No smiley needed, I hope.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:29 am

Hello,

I think I read somewhere that the jokingly "you stole all my moves!" was said by Sammy Davis to Elvis....

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:05 pm

I have a few updates.
I wrote to Marty Lacker again through the Elvis Express Radio website, where I asked him if he could get intouch with Sonny West and Lamar Fike.

It sounds like he got in touch with Fike. This is what I asked and this is what he wrote:
PEP Asks Marty: [09.12.08]
You recently answered my question I had for you about whether or not Clyde McPhatter was the person standing next to Elvis on August the 10th 1970.
Where you said you believed it was him.

Marty it is important to some Elvis fans that we know for sure that it was in fact him at this party to help settle a disagreement of opinon. Since you responded
we had a member who suggested they were in touch with McPhatter's window, Lee Rackley, she came back through this member suggesting her late husband
never met Elvis and that was not him him in the picture next to Elvis on August the 10th 1970. So, this now presents a problem.

Here's the deal, would it be possible for you to get in touch with Sonny West and Lamar Fike and have them look at the pictures and this video since they were
there the night in questioned?? As I'am assuming you were not there that night, going by the footage we see, as you do not appear to be present anywhere
during the filming by MGM. Here's the footage posted on youtube (Link sent to Marty). The person in question is seen One to Three seconds into the footage
and then is seen again Forty Three to Forty Eight seconds into the footage. Where he says to Elvis in a joking way "You Did all Of My Moves" (You Stole all my moves)

I am hoping Sonny West and Lamar Fike remember maybe bumping into this fellow during the night. It would really help if they could either come back and say
nay or ya about this person in questioned as to whether or not in their opinion it is Clyde Phatter. If for the sake of argument they say it is not him, could they
then also let us know who they think it is. Thank you for you time once again.

Marty Says:
To be sure I wasn't seeing things I sent this to Lamar. He confirmed to me that the dressing room scene was from opening night, August '70 and yes, that was
indeed Clyde. I was there that night but because I went to many of the Vegas engagements for at least a week I sometimes get them mixed up.

The reason I said it looked like him was because it was him. His wife is obviously mistaken in saying Clyde didn't meet Elvis, sometimes husbands don't tell
wives what they did, especially in Vegas.

Unfortunately Clyde died 2 years later in '72. He was a great talent with a great, distinctive voice and he was one of Elvis' favorite singers as far back as
before Elvis became known.

Interesting to hear that Marty was at this party as well. I obviously wasn't aware that he was. he must of showed up later on, because if I am not mistaked Marty is not in any of the outtake footage either.

Now, another thing I did, I wrote to the original Drifters website http://originaldrifters.com/CONTACTUS.html
Where I asked if there was a chance this could be Bill Pinkney or Clyde McPatter.
This what their response has been so far.

It definitely is not Bill Pinkney and it does not sound like Clyde McPhatter’s voice either, although Elvis’ admiration for The Original Drifters is widely known. I’ll show it to a few people to see if we can identify him for you.

So, I in return showed them what Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike said, who they think it is, where I also pointed out about what the widow Lee Rackley said as well.

Looking forward to what they come up with, from their contacts.

Still waiting on Sonny West, Joe Esposito and George Klein.

PEP 8)

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:38 pm

PEP wrote:I have a few updates.
I wrote to Marty Lacker again through the Elvis Express Radio website, where I asked him if he could get intouch with Sonny West and Lamar Fike.

It sounds like he got in touch with Fike. This is what I asked and this is what he wrote:
PEP Asks Marty: [09.12.08]
You recently answered my question I had for you about whether or not Clyde McPhatter was the person standing next to Elvis on August the 10th 1970.
Where you said you believed it was him.

Marty it is important to some Elvis fans that we know for sure that it was in fact him at this party to help settle a disagreement of opinon. Since you responded
we had a member who suggested they were in touch with McPhatter's window, Lee Rackley, she came back through this member suggesting her late husband
never met Elvis and that was not him him in the picture next to Elvis on August the 10th 1970. So, this now presents a problem.

Here's the deal, would it be possible for you to get in touch with Sonny West and Lamar Fike and have them look at the pictures and this video since they were
there the night in questioned?? As I'am assuming you were not there that night, going by the footage we see, as you do not appear to be present anywhere
during the filming by MGM. Here's the footage posted on youtube (Link sent to Marty). The person in question is seen One to Three seconds into the footage
and then is seen again Forty Three to Forty Eight seconds into the footage. Where he says to Elvis in a joking way "You Did all Of My Moves" (You Stole all my moves)

I am hoping Sonny West and Lamar Fike remember maybe bumping into this fellow during the night. It would really help if they could either come back and say
nay or ya about this person in questioned as to whether or not in their opinion it is Clyde Phatter. If for the sake of argument they say it is not him, could they
then also let us know who they think it is. Thank you for you time once again.

Marty Says:
To be sure I wasn't seeing things I sent this to Lamar. He confirmed to me that the dressing room scene was from opening night, August '70 and yes, that was
indeed Clyde. I was there that night but because I went to many of the Vegas engagements for at least a week I sometimes get them mixed up.

The reason I said it looked like him was because it was him. His wife is obviously mistaken in saying Clyde didn't meet Elvis, sometimes husbands don't tell
wives what they did, especially in Vegas.

Unfortunately Clyde died 2 years later in '72. He was a great talent with a great, distinctive voice and he was one of Elvis' favorite singers as far back as
before Elvis became known.

Interesting to hear that Marty was at this party as well. I obviously wasn't aware that he was. he must of showed up later on, because if I am not mistaked Marty is not in any of the outtake footage either.

Now, another thing I did, I wrote to the original Drifters website http://originaldrifters.com/CONTACTUS.html
Where I asked if there was a chance this could be Bill Pinkney or Clyde McPatter.
This what their response has been so far.

It definitely is not Bill Pinkney and it does not sound like Clyde McPhatter’s voice either, although Elvis’ admiration for The Original Drifters is widely known. I’ll show it to a few people to see if we can identify him for you.

So, I in return showed them what Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike said, who they think it is, where I also pointed out about what the widow Lee Rackley said as well.

Looking forward to what they come up with, from their contacts.

Still waiting on Sonny West, Joe Esposito and George Klein.

PEP 8)

Great work PEP, you along with several others have done an excellent job this thread!

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:50 pm

PEP wrote:I have a few updates.

Very interesting. Thanks PEP.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanx. IIRC, there are 2 black men. who is the second one ?

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:32 pm

Yes, brilliant work PEP.

I,ll go with my first instincts and still say its Clyde and i hope that when we here back from the others who were there and its confirmed its Clyde, maybe the Doc will get his worthy credit at last.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:52 pm

Bodie wrote:Yes, brilliant work PEP.

I,ll go with my first instincts and still say its Clyde and i hope that when we here back from the others who were there and its confirmed its Clyde, maybe the Doc will get his worthy credit at last.

No doubt about it, if it is, he will. I still don't see the resemblance, but I'm happy to accept it's Clyde from someone in the know.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:56 pm

Whatever for?! It IS CLYDE McPHATTER. Plus Doctor John Carpenter has been vindicated. hahaha hahaha.

PEP :D - Great work man and thank you for going to those painstaking lengths. Now that we got that established,

Do you think it's worth putting to the MM the issue of Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton and George Harrison meeting with Elvis, hhhmmm?

Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:44 pm

From http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/a_broken_heart.shtml

You remember Clyde McPhatter? Elvis thought Clyde McPhatter had one of the greatest voices in the world. We were going somewhere one time - down to the Louisiana Hayride or to Nashville - and we were singing in the car. Well, Bill Black couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, and Scotty was worse. So Elvis and I were the only good singers in the car. But we were talking about Clyde McPhatter, and he said, 'You know, if I had a voice like that man, I'd never want for another thing.'

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:55 pm

PEP wrote:Marty (Lacker) Says:

To be sure I wasn't seeing things I sent this to Lamar (Fike).

He confirmed to me that the dressing room scene was from opening night, August '70 and yes, that was indeed Clyde.

I was there that night but because I went to many of the Vegas engagements for at least a week I sometimes get them mixed up.

The reason I said it looked like him was because it was him.

His wife is obviously mistaken in saying Clyde didn't meet Elvis, sometimes husbands don't tell wives what they did, especially in Vegas.

Unfortunately Clyde died 2 years later in '72. He was a great talent with a great, distinctive voice and he was one of Elvis' favorite singers as far back as before Elvis became known.

tcb4 wrote:And SUN Studios founder and producer Sam Phillips weighs in ->

You remember Clyde McPhatter?

Elvis thought Clyde McPhatter had one of the greatest voices in the world.

We were going somewhere one time - down to the Louisiana Hayride or to Nashville - and we were singing in the car. Well, Bill Black couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, and Scotty was worse. So Elvis and I were the only good singers in the car.

But we were talking about Clyde McPhatter, and he said, "You know, if I had a voice like that man, I'd never want for another thing."

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/a_broken_heart.shtml

To those who trusted the doc -- like Ernst Jorgensen -- give yourself a pat on the back.

PEP and tcb4 -- I appreciate your work underscoring what I first posted on June 20, 2008.

Learning is fun, especially if you open your eyes.

THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT!

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:04 am

yeah but I still want to know about a few of the other artists that met or attended Elvis shows :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: .

PEP :smt006 - you there PEP? I reckon you are in a more trusting position to converse with some of the MM than most of us are. At some point in '09 do you want to put to any of them about other stage and screen Legends (including the three i stated earlier) and see what anecdotes they may want
to reveal. BTW this messageboard is extremely fortunate to have dudes like PEP!

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PEP wrote:Marty (Lacker) Says:

To be sure I wasn't seeing things I sent this to Lamar (Fike).

He confirmed to me that the dressing room scene was from opening night, August '70 and yes, that was indeed Clyde.

I was there that night but because I went to many of the Vegas engagements for at least a week I sometimes get them mixed up.

The reason I said it looked like him was because it was him.

His wife is obviously mistaken in saying Clyde didn't meet Elvis, sometimes husbands don't tell wives what they did, especially in Vegas.

THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT!

You know, if you're right, you're right, and if you're not, you're not. Shouting (big bold red capital letters) doesn't make it any more right....and if you are right, you'll get full credit from all of us.

As for the statement "His wife is obviously mistaken in saying Clyde didn't meet Elvis, sometimes husbands don't tell wives what they did, especially in Vegas", surely he wouldn't have kept something like that from her. Sure, if he'd been misbehaving, that's one thing, but to keep from her the fact that he'd met Elvis? Hell, if that was me I'd be straight on the phone telling her. What do you think? Anyway, for your sake I hope you're right, otherwise you're in danger of having a seizure the way you're going. Just calm down.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:09 am

It's not Clyde McPhatter.