February 1961 Charity Shows -> Mysterious!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, drjohncarpenter, Site Mechanic

Keith F

Re: February 1961 Charity Shows -> Mysterious!

Post by Keith F »

Thank you for a fantastic post Doc - Yes, This IS what it's ALL about!

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

DOH!!! This guy's been one of Scotty's myspace freinds for awhile. I'll shoot him a message about the bassist and guitar player (found the answer after I wrote this when I visited his picture section).
Is this Marty with him at Stax?

I checked in Scotty's book today too and he mentions using Larry for a session with Jerry Lee Lewis at Sam's in 1960.

This article on Ron's myspace lists the other musicians as Brad Suggs (guitar) and Bob Alexius (bass) but no mention of Larry playing with Elvis's act (though he and his orchestra did the shows).

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ekenee »

Note the article to the right telling of Elvis' upcoming movie, "Chautauqua", that will be renamed and filmed 8 years later, to "The trouble with girls".

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote: George Jessell, often referred to as the nation's "Toastmaster General," was master of ceremonies for the evening show -- Mayor Loeb apparently handled matinée duties.

Jessell amusingly dropped to his knees -- "we are not worthy!" -- after introducing Elvis as "one of the greatest singer-actors of this century."

Ok, so this is the evening show? So he wore the silver jacket in the matinee and the white one in the evening?

OK, nevermind. I got it. (i have to start reading these sober)

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Well, well, well -- we have just about wrapped this up! Awesome.

That February 19, 1961 newspaper article and mid-sixties studio photo with Marty Lacker nail down Ron Capone as the other drummer -- and more.

Below is the Jerry Lee Lewis SUN Studio date Scotty refers to, the one with Larry Muhoberac. Just take a peek at the month, year and musicians ->

639 Madison, Memphis - October 13, 1960

No More Than I Get
When I Get Paid
Love Made A Fool Of Me

Larry Muhoberac - piano
Fred Ford, Ron Capone, Robert Alexius - horns
Scotty Moore, Brad Suggs - guitars
Billy Lee Riley - bass
Jimmy Van Eaton - drums

This session is just four months prior to Elvis' Memphis shows.

Although the bass player seen in photos above is not the great Billy Lee Riley, he is VERY LIKELY Bob Alexius. Obviously, these fellows were versatile -- drummer Capone was a horn player on the above session, too.

Any photos of Bob Alexius will seal the deal beyond question.

Finally, Muhoberac was interviewed by The Man and His Music in 1994 (#22), and here are the salient portions ->
The musical communtiy that was building in Memphis - people like Steve Cropper, myself, Ron Capone, Billy Riley, all of them... I was involved with a lot of people - we were involved in commercials, films, records - lots of stuff.

Through that I got a call to do ... a benefit concert ... I was using a different name then, I was 'Larry Gordon,' because Muhoberac's too hard to spell ... the Colonel asked me to put the show together, so I did. I conducted the orchestra ... the band I put together backed everybody on the show - not just Elvis.
NOTE: Internal paperwork and newspaper reports indicate the name used was Owens, not Gordon.

Here then, is the REVISED line-up of the musicians who rocked Memphis on Saturday, February 25, 1961 ->

Elvis Presley - vocals, guitar
Scotty Moore - guitar
Brad Suggs - guitar
Bob Alexius - stand-up bass
D. J. Fontana - drums
Ron Capone - drums
Floyd Cramer - piano
Boots Randolph - saxophone
Jordanaires - backing vocals
Larry Owens (Muhoberac) and the King's Men

----------

Thanks to those who really came through on this topic!

Now, where ARE those darned live tapes?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mississippi
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by Mississippi »

Here you'll find a Bob Alexius picture of today

http://www.jinxstreet.com/musicians/balexius.html

Mississippi

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

I checked with Marty over in the AEK louge about his phot and he said
that is not at Stax, that's at Pepper Tanner Studios, the home of Pepper Records that I ran before I took over American Studios for Chips Moman.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Cryogenic »

Great work on this one, Doc. And thanks to the other contributors who helped your work along. What an exciting -- albeit short-lived -- chapter in the EP story. Indeed, where are those tapes?

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

I have come across another article that I found on the subject that points out that "Treat me nice" was done at one of the shows.
Not sure how realible that is, but the article also states that a poor quality tape of one of the shows existed at one time.

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Cryogenic wrote:Great work on this one, Doc. And thanks to the other contributors who helped your work along. What an exciting -- albeit short-lived -- chapter in the EP story. Indeed, where are those tapes?
If I am not wrong, not long time ago I think it was last year. Somebody stated in a another topic about these Memphis 1961 shows, that he had heard snippets of the performed songs :roll:. Sorry, I don´t know how to find it :oops:. Meanwhile, let´s enjoy this wonderful March 25th, 1961 Hawaii Benefit Concert Show :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

R.R.D

Post by R.R.D »

follow this link http://www.austinbanjoclub.org/
and then click on PEOPLE in the menu
and then scroll a little down the page ,
and there is a picture of Bob Alexius,
and the mention of him playing with Jerry Lee Lewis and 1 gig with ELVIS.

I now its only Rock & Roll but I like it

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Thanks for the tip!

Here's the skinny ->

Bob Alexius, a New Orleans native, has been playing music since 1951.  He has played in symphony orchestras and bands such as Stan Kenton, Buddy Morrow, and Les Elgart.  He played with Jerry Lee Lewis and one gig with Elvis Presley before earning a PhD and moving into education.  Bob retired in 1993 and played on the Delta Queen steamboat unil 1998.  Bob is our  principal tuba player and is widely sought at banjo festivals for  his ability to accompany solo players on either tuba or standup bass.

http://www.austinbanjoclub.org/people.html

I think we have cracked this case wide open! Awesome.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

R.R.D

Post by R.R.D »

your welcome Doc
and thanks for this great topic and all the information

Ahh to be able to listing to those memphis shows
would be fantastic.

If we only had one of those or the Hawaii show
in great/good pro quality
and if there had been a official audio live release of one of those shows,I really think that it would had been the greatest live recording ever released.(maybe not audio wise but surely music wise )

But unfortunately it was never to be,
but in our hearts we now that it would have been a F...... Killer release.

And then to start talking about footage hmm
what a f...... great shame .

but lets wait and see what FTD can do with the hawaii show
just a littletinybit audio improvement would IMO be fantastic.

I now its only Rock & Roll but I like it

E-Cat

Post by E-Cat »

Great post John !

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

we have just about wrapped this up
. . .but not quite there is more...

Here's the complete interview with Larry Muhoberac talking with Trevor Cajiao in the excellent ETM&HM. He says some more interesting stuff about being there in 1961- and not remembering much about it!!! (how annoying is that!)

Larry Muhoberac: .. The musical community that was building in Memphis - people like Steve Cropper, myself, Ron Capone, Billy Riley, all of them... I was involved with a lot of people - we were involved in commercials, films, records - lots of stuff. Through that I got a call to do a show with Elvis - a retirement show, a benefit concert.

Trevor C: Would that have been the two benefit shows he did in Memphis in 1961?

LM: I can't remember the date, but I was led to believe that it was to be his last appearance, his last live appearance before going into retirement, before getting into the movie things in a big way. That's when I met Colonel Parker. He invited me to lunch with about 10 / 12 others. I was using a different name then, I was Larry Gordon, because Muhoberac's too hard to spell! I played that benefit - The Colonel asked me to put the show together, so I did. I conducted the orchestra and had a great time! The Colonel told me it'd be the end of Elvis' live career. This was more or less his farewell concert - I can't remember the date.

TC: There were two shows at The Ellis Auditorium on February 25th 1961. George Jessel was the master of ceremonies...

LM: You got it, that's it!

TC: The information we have (reading from Lee Cotten's 'All Shook Up') says `The other acts on the bill were comedian Dave Gardner, impressionist N.P. Nelson, an acrobatic act, a tap dancer and Larry Owens & His Orchestra, which was augmented by Scotty Moore, D.J. Fontana, Boots Randolph and Floyd Cramer'.

LM: Yeah, they got the name wrong there - it should be Larry Gordon. The Jordanaires were there too - I worked with them a lot.

TC: Can you remember much about Elvis' performance that day?

LM: Not really! That sounds silly, I know, but when you live in the same town as somebody... the hometown boy - he's famous but it's like, y'know, "He lives over there - we're three miles away from each other!". At the time when those things were happening I didn't attach too much importance to them. It was just a job, y'know, and I was doing my job. The band I put together backed everybody on the show - not just Elvis. If I had more time I could sit down and probably make a list of the guys in the band, but I remember that Jackie Elwood was one of 'em - he was one of The Memphis Horns. This was my first experience I had with Elvis and I remember the girls screaming at him (laughs). That was the first time I was exposed to anything like that - that kind of audience response.

Now if only Larry wanted to still talk about Elvis - but he is very reticent as he has so many new projects still going,

Cheers
Piers
Last edited by PiersEIN on Tue May 13, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

PiersEIN wrote:Surprised no one remembers Larry Muhoberac talking with Trevor Cajiao ...
Take a peek up on this page, oh, about 11 posts back.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Brad M

Post by Brad M »

Great topic Doc. Very informative. My oh my how great the day will be if either of these two show's show up ! 8)

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

If you bothered to read this topic, you would seen the SALIENT portions of this interview already posted -- and the date and issue number included as well.
Such a keen eye for detail. No wonder you work for that garbage can over at EIN.
The DOC, ever the charmer!

Apologies since I missed your little excerpt from Larry's ETM&HM interview in that post.
However I thought the rest of it was pretty interesting for everyone here too.
His thoughts that working for the very first time with Elvis was "no big deal" for Muhoberac and the fact that he had been interviewed about the event in the past but couldn't remember much about it. I thought these details were adding.

Cheers
Piers

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Brad M wrote:Great topic Doc. Very informative.
Thank you very much, Brad M. This is why FECC is the #1 Elvis Presley web site.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Brad M

Post by Brad M »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Brad M wrote:Great topic Doc. Very informative.
Thank you very much, Brad M. This is why FECC is the #1 Elvis Presley web site.
I Second that buddy ! :smt006 :smt006

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

This might make few a good magazine article, eh?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Keith F

Post by Keith F »

drjohncarpenter wrote:This might make few a good magazine article, eh?
Maybe one of the better Elvis Magazines will ask if they can use the information from this thread for an article.

Or maybe you could write to them, and ask them to use it!

It would make a great magazine article - I agree
Last edited by Keith F on Sun May 18, 2008 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

You should collect it all and reformat it so its more continuous and cohesive. The story of how we all didn't know who was who or what happened when it was already known and documented isn't all that interesting or any real discovery but sort of a day in the life of events leading up to the performances in detail would make a good read. (imo)
(of course the EP Music site probably already took it and stuck their copyright on it :wink: )

Its kind of like Columbus discovering America when the inhabitants already knew it was there. I heard from Ron and they love the pictures. I have to see if I can get a higher res version for him of the one with Elvis and DJ and Bob Alexius. I scanned that one a while ago and edited out the text in the top right. I supposed I could do it again if need be.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

JamesVRoy wrote:of course the EP Music site probably already took it and stuck their copyright on it ...
Yeah, that's what they do.

Worthless m-fs, as my pal says.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Brad M

Post by Brad M »

drjohncarpenter wrote:This might make few a good magazine article, eh?
Would have to say most definitley buddy :smt002