"Elvis" by Jerry Hopkins - A Bounty of Rare Tapes!

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:13 am

Jerry Hopkins, Elvis: A Biography (New York: Simon & Schuster, October 1971)

This landmark biography may look a little naive, erroneous or incomplete 37 years later, but it remains an essential read. In a recent review, I noticed that Hopkins was privy to several unreleased-at-the-time tapes, with credit for such items going to U.K. super-fan Rex Martin.

Almost all these recordings have surfaced, save a precious few. Given the later validation of the other tapes, one is compelled to believe the missing items are for real.

But -- where are they?

Tape Cited or Quoted

10-16-54 / Louisiana Hayride debut ... surfaced 1978
11-06-54 / Southern Maid Donuts ad ... unissued
07-01-56 / Steve Allen appearance ... surfaced 1976
06-59 / German home demos ... partially issued 1983, more surfaced 1995
03-08-61 / Address to Tennessee State Legislature ... issued 1978
04-67 / Clambake after-party jam of "Baby, What You Want Me To Do" ... unissued
06-24-68 / first NBC-TV dressing room jam ... surfaced 1983 ... full official issue 2006
08-69 / Las Vegas ... written as if 7-31-69, but clearly later
01-26-70 / Las Vegas ... partially surfaced SB 1991 ... full show in 2008

---

Where? Only the Shadow -- or Rex Martin knows.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: "Elvis" by Jerry Hopkins - A Bounty of Rare Tapes!

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:49 am

Excellent observation! :roll:

Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:59 am

YDKM wrote: :roll:

:?:

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:46 am

I recall reading years ago that super fan Gary Pepper had the Donut commercial on tape. And someone claimed to have the tape last year on the sirius radio network. the Donut commercial has been mentioned many times over the years, and it would be a nice icing on the cake for the box set if Ernst could locate it.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:52 pm

ekenee wrote:I recall reading years ago that super fan Gary Pepper had the Donut commercial on tape. And someone claimed to have the tape last year on the sirius radio network. the Donut commercial has been mentioned many times over the years, and it would be a nice icing on the cake for the box set if Ernst could locate it.

Even the official site for Southern Maid Donuts mentions the legendary ad on their home page ->

Image Image

It would be interesting to learn more about such heard but "lost" Presley tapes.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:49 pm

Wow! Elvis singing an advertising jingle. Whatever next?

That comment wasn't meant sarcastically, either.

It's interesting that he also did an aborted furniture campaign that was brought up in pictorial form here recently.

Then I think of things like the Adlai Stevenson remark. It seems he was a loss less inhibited in the 50's.

Would LOVE to hear this, of course. And the "Baby, What You Want Me To Do" 1967 jam -- oh, yes!

Doc, you've pulled these sources from ONE book (albeit not the most inauspicious Presley book ever) ..... so what else might be out there? Obviously, only certain things. But the mind still boggles.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Cryogenic wrote:It's interesting that he also did an aborted furniture campaign that was brought up in pictorial form here recently.

In Elvis - The King of Rock and Roll (BMG box set, 1992) you'll see an image from that canceled ad campaign included in the booklet.

Cryogenic wrote:Doc, you've pulled these sources from ONE book (albeit not the most inauspicious Presley book ever) ..... so what else might be out there? Obviously, only certain things. But the mind still boggles.

What makes Hopkins's work significant is how his access to the above material came YEARS before most fans knew it existed. As for rare tapes, studio outtakes may be getting scant, but fertile ground remains:

- film set "wrap parties," where Elvis performed, like Clambake or Charro!

- home demos, 1956 to 1977

- live show rehearsals, 1969 to 1975

- radio broadcasts or in-station visits, 1955 to 1957

- live concert recordings, 1955 to 1977

Here's for "wishing and hoping" ...

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:15 pm

Fascinating topic, thanks Doc.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:25 pm

I wouldn't mind a Southern Maid donut for every time I've seen it written Southern Made !

Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:42 pm

Back in those days a recording of a live radio commercial would always be made for the very simple reason that it was the industry accepted way to prove that the advertisers contract was fufilled. The acetate or tape would feature the entire commercial plus a little of the show before and aft. Rather like a DJ air check.

In my previous life (45 years ago) my desk was often flooded with such material. If sent to an advertising agency the tape would be sent to the client as invoice proof.

Southern Donuts would have over time would have received thousands of these and no doubt would have thrown them out pretty well immediately...they would have no use and no point in keeping them.

But it is more than possible that some would have escaped the trash bin.

Unless kept in pristine condition and only played a very limited number of times then the quality would be questionable.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:53 pm

We still have the unreleased 1966 home recording of "baby what you want me to do" as mentioned in Ernst recording session book.
Obviously Elvis loved this song for a good 3-5 years, as he sang it alot during the mid to late 60's.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:11 am

Bodie wrote:Fascinating topic, thanks Doc.

This is what I do, Bodie!

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Here's what Joey Kent said recently about the Southern Maid donut ad. Interview transcribed by Kevan Budd.
I do not have the second appearance of Elvis Scotty and bill from November the 6th. I have no reason to believe that a tape exists from that evening. That would be the night that the famous southern made doughnut commercial was done by Elvis and I think what probably happened there was Scotty or somebody like that may have mentioned in an interview or Elvis may have mentioned in an interview that he did later that the only time he did a commercial was on that particular night. So that’s probably where the whole story started about the southern made doughnut commercial and the recording, then again it may exist, I believe Serif Hannah or somebody like that told me that they had actually heard the recording of the southern made doughnut commercial. I will go ahead and talk about the doughnut commercial at this time, I have a recording of Johnny Cash doing a southern made doughnut commercial and you have to understand this was not something like a modern commercial where they come out and pitch a particular product, Elvis did not walk out on stage holding a box of doughnuts and start doing a scripted commercial. What happened with southern made doughnuts, they were a long time sponsor of the Louisiana hayride and they would supply the announcers of the show with boxes of fresh hot doughnuts from the southern made doughnuts shop just down the street from the hayride and the announcers would walk out on stage, Frank Page told me this and announcer Norm Bale told me as well, that they would open up the box and start eating doughnuts in front of the audience and you could see the steam coming off them and everybody would get hungry and want to have some southern made doughnuts and in the case of the Johnny Cash commercial Frank and Norm were talking about southern made doughnuts and they would just look over at the next act that was setting on stage and getting ready to sing, in this case they said Johnny Cash knows about southern made doughnuts don’t you Johnny? And he stepped up to the microphone and said “yeah man, there the best in the world, you just dunk em and slurp em, man they’re fine, I think they’re just the best”.
And this was something like this commercial that Elvis would have done, he would have been on stage already, either probably between songs or just about to start a song and the announcer started talking about the doughnuts and just basically asked Elvis for his opinion and he would have said something like yes you know I love southern made doughnuts I eat them all the time and that would have been the extent of the commercial, because as you’ll notice in Elvis' later career he never did a commercial endorsement, he didn’t really believe in that so this is how he ended up doing the southern made commercial, it just sort off happened around him and it was his second night on the Louisiana hayride, he’d been there October the 16th and came back and November the 6th was the night he was actually made a member of the hayride so he was already nervous and excited and im sure just went with the flow of the evening.

So, according to Joey Kent Elvis probably didn't sing the jingle but just gave a verbal endorsement. But anything would be interesting to hear.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:It's interesting that he also did an aborted furniture campaign that was brought up in pictorial form here recently.

In Elvis - The King of Rock and Roll (BMG box set, 1992) you'll see an image from that canceled ad campaign included in the booklet.

Cryogenic wrote:Doc, you've pulled these sources from ONE book (albeit not the most inauspicious Presley book ever) ..... so what else might be out there? Obviously, only certain things. But the mind still boggles.

What makes Hopkins's work significant is how his access to the above material came YEARS before most fans knew it existed. As for rare tapes, studio outtakes may be getting scant, but fertile ground remains:

- film set "wrap parties," where Elvis performed, like Clambake or Charro!

- home demos, 1956 to 1977

- live show rehearsals, 1969 to 1975

- radio broadcasts or in-station visits, 1955 to 1957

- live concert recordings, 1955 to 1977

Here's for "wishing and hoping" ...

Very good topic, Doc. Of particular interest are IMO the live show rehearsals. It would seem logical that a lot of them were taped. Some of the most interesting material has come from those tapes e.g. The Twelfth of Never, Portrait of My Love and I'm Leaving It Up To You. Also, a lot of the rehearsals were held either in recording studio or on stage and that would make the recordings quite good quality. The question remains where are the tapes today?
Last edited by Marko on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:48 pm

The question actually is more like "When do the person or persons holding these type of tapes need the money" :lol:

Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:17 pm

But that doesn't account for the well documented lines that Elvis supposedly SANG about "gettin' 'em piping hot"!!! I read the Hopkins book recently and there was a bit in the book about many unreleased Sun recordings. I've just spend about 20 minutes flicking thru the book trying to find this reference but I havn't found it.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:19 pm

TONY wrote:But that doesn't account for the well documented lines that Elvis supposedly SANG about "gettin' 'em piping hot"!!!.

"You can get 'em piping hot after four PM,
you can get 'em piping hot.
Southern Made Doughnuts hit the spot,
you can get 'em piping hot after four PM."

"Thankouverymuchladiesngennlemen"

Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:44 pm

I think this was the first Elvis book I ever owned. Back in the late 70's, I signed it out of our public library and I must have forgot to return it.

It just slipped my mind, I tell you.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:49 pm

Rob wrote:I think this was the first Elvis book I ever owned. Back in the late 70's, I signed it out of our public library and I must have forgot to return it.

It just slipped my mind, I tell you.

I'm Telling!

Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:00 pm

TONY wrote:But that doesn't account for the well documented lines that Elvis supposedly SANG about "gettin' 'em piping hot"!!!

Yeah, Joey's just mistaken, here. I'm a little disappointed that someone in charge of the "Hayride" archives isn't more familiar with this jingle, as there are readily available recordings of other Hayride stars, such as Johnny Cash, singing this from the stage of the Municipal Auditorium in Shreveport.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:54 pm

A look at Kent's 2003 FECC interview reveals several misstatements, like the impending release of the December 15, 1956 Hayride Benefit show.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:57 am

The Southern Maid Donuts ad still can turn up here is an example how it can

1 I found a 45 size record that plays at 33 1/3 speed it is for Mcdonalds Menu Music chant It says promotional use only not for sale.

2 A 45 that says A Personal Message To Prince Gardner Employees At St Marys 4-77 that would in Missouri

Both of the records was for a short time use so maybe some where sits in someones records collection that little gem

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:42 am

YDKM wrote: :roll:

What the hell?

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:15 am

In the early 60's many artists of the day sang Coca Cola commercials , I was invilved with quite a few NZ versions.

For those not from the era these tracks generally used the melody from their hits. Thus Roy Orbison used Running Scared as a tune with Coke lyrics. The artists were encouraged to write the words, within strict parameters.

Once the ball started rolling artists were more than willing to make these commercials for modest fees. It was a badge of honour rathe like getting your picture on the cover of Rolling Stone.

Elvis was prevented from doing this because the Colonel demanded a kings ransome (think 7 figures). I know this for a fact as I read it in a Coca Cola newsletter sent to their Advertising Agencies around the world circa 1964 as they (coke) were being harrassed by bottlers wanting to know when an Elvis commercial would be forthcoming.

Just imagine a few commercials based around Don't Be Cruel or All Shook Up or Jailhouse Rock or whatever.

Before anyone jumps on a high horse these commercials had high production standards , never tacky and respected by those within the industery and the public. They were not demeaning to any artist in any way.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:18 am

What i am saying is that 2 two records i was talking about was to be used for a short time and then destroyed and they turned up at yard sales

And maybe The Southern Maid Donuts ad still can turn up