Re: Elvis is ... the NIGHT RIDER ! (1962)

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:34 am

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Cover design = Tom Parker.

What more can one ask for?

He should have been a graphic designer,wasted talent.

norrie

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:40 am

norrie wrote:
midnightx wrote:

norrie

That and a male swimsuit model.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:14 am

midnightx wrote:
norrie wrote:
midnightx wrote:

norrie

That and a male swimsuit model.

Thanks midnightx,that's an image I don't want to go to bed on!

norrie

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:04 pm

I was always amused about the "breakneck pace" Take 1 - sounds like they wanted to overrun themselves... :D

Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:26 pm

norrie wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Boy, I've gotta say the album artwork is pedestrian at best. Elvis with a drawn steaming pot?

Steve L.

Agree with you there Steve,it's a pretty cheap looking cover.

norrie

I agree, the photo of Elvis ain't too clever either. Strange hairstyle.

Even the title of the album itself is awful. I don't know about you but the well-known phrase "Pot Luck" has always suggested to me that it's pot luck whether your going to get something good or bad. To name an album "Pot Luck" is like saying some of the songs are good some are bad, it's just "Pot Luck".

Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi,

great topic Doc as usual !
Yes, "Night Rider" is one my favorites, a real underrated song of the King catalogue for sure.

See You

Vince

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:A lot of Elvis' early sixties material is overlooked because of the volume of movie soundtracks he was cranking out...Yet, many of the tracks he waxed at RCA Nashville between 1961 and 1963 are superbly played and sung to perfection.

I think that's something everyone on this board could agree on, and thus a rare sentiment. If only the general public was more knowledgeable of these recordings, instead of subscribing to the belief that Elvis's music went straight to hell after the army.

"Night Rider," issued on 1962's Pot Luck with Elvis, is a prime example. Submitted by the hit-making team of Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, they were directly inspired by the many stories of Elvis and his pals riding their Harleys in the hills of Bel Air during the midnight hour.

A fascinating fact I was not aware of. I makes wish I liked the song a little more than I do. I think "Night Rider" is a fine effort, but it sounds just a bit stiff, and lacks the epic sound its content suggested. But perhaps my reaction is colored by what I read about it in A Life in Music:

Elvis wanted to give another shot to "Night Rider," the Pomus and Shuman song he had recorded the previous October, but he gave up after an hour of struggling, as nobody seemed to see beyond the typically overwhelming arrangement on the Phil Spector-produced demo.

In a better world the following happened:

Elvis paced the studio in frustration, unable to capture the sound he had in his head. "No good boys. It needs to have the sound---the feel--of that demo!" A light bulb seemed to go off in the King's head. He turned to his nearest Memphis mafia gopher. "Get me the guy who produced this!" he thundered. It took a while to find him, but they eventually got Phil Spector on the phone. "I'll make it sound just like you want it" he told Elvis, "but you'll have to come down to Gold Star in LA." Elvis, by now a man possessed, boarded a plane the next day. The resulting record was a smash hit, easily selling over a million and causing people to marvel at Elvis's new sound, which felt immense as a wall. Bonding over their shared love of guns, Elvis and Spector went on to cut another monster hit, much to the chagrin of the maniacally jealous Colonel Parker. Matters grew dire when Parker and Spector fell into a vicious argument and eventual brawl. Before it started Elvis and Spector had been admiring each other's guns in the studio, and now an enraged Spector went for Browning semi-automatic. No one could remember how it happened, but a few minutes later a shot was heard...and the Colonel was found face-down in a pool of blood, his cigar still lit. Everyone agreed that what happened was a terrible accident, and the police were told that Elvis's gophers had been fooling around with some of the many firearms lying around the studio when one just happened to go off. Elvis attended the funeral, a bittersweet experience since his latest single had just hit the top ten, and afterward asked Spector if he could recommend a new manager...
Last edited by Revelator on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:39 am

Revelator wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:A lot of Elvis' early sixties material is overlooked because of the volume of movie soundtracks he was cranking out...Yet, many of the tracks he waxed at RCA Nashville between 1961 and 1963 are superbly played and sung to perfection.

I think that's something everyone on this board could agree on, and thus a rare sentiment. If only the general public was more knowledgeable of these recordings, instead of subscribing to the belief that Elvis's music went straight to hell after the army.

"Night Rider," issued on 1962's Pot Luck with Elvis, is a prime example. Submitted by the hit-making team of Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, they were directly inspired by the many stories of Elvis and his pals riding their Harleys in the hills of Bel Air during the midnight hour.

A fascinating fact I was not aware of. I makes wish I liked the song a little more than I do. I think "Night Rider" is a fine effort, but it sounds just a bit stiff, and lacks the epic sound its content suggested. But perhaps my reaction is colored by what I read about it in A Life in Music:

Elvis wanted to give another shot to "Night Rider," the Pomus and Shuman song he had recorded the previous October, but he gave up after an hour of struggling, as nobody seemed to see beyond the typically overwhelming arrangement on the Phil Spector-produced demo.

In a better world the following happened:

Elvis paced the studio in frustration, unable to capture the sound he had in his head. "No good boys. It needs to have the sound---the feel--of that demo!" A light bulb seemed to go off in the King's head. He turned to his nearest Memphis mafia gopher. "Get me the guy who produced this!" he thundered. It took a while to find him, but they eventually got Phil Spector on the phone. "I'll make it sound just like you want it" he told Elvis, "but you'll have to come down to Gold Star in LA." Elvis, by now a man possessed, boarded a plane the next day. The resulting record was a smash hit, easily selling over a million and causing people to marvel at Elvis's new sound, which felt immense as a wall. Bonding over their shared love of guns, Elvis and Spector went on to cut several more monster hits, much to the chagrin of Colonel Parker, who grew manically jealous. Matters grew dire when Parker and Spector fell into a vicious argument and eventual brawl. Before it started Elvis and Spector had been admiring each other's guns in the studio, and now an enraged Spector stormed off from the Colonel, fingering his Browning. No one could remember how it happened, but a few minutes later a shot was heard and the Colonel was found face-down in a pool of blood, his cigar still lit. Everyone agreed that what happened was a terrible accident, and the police were told that Elvis's gophers had been fooling around with some of the firearms lying around the studio when one accidentally went off. Elvis dutifully attended the funeral, which occurred directly after Elvis's latest single hit the top ten, and afterward asked Spector if he could recommend a new manager...

This is one of the greatest posts I've read in a long while! It goes from the sublime to the ridiculous - but all sentiments I agree with throughout. As ever Revelator, I really value your posts here!.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:41 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:This is one of the greatest posts I've read in a long while! It goes from the sublime to the ridiculous - but all sentiments I agree with throughout. As ever Revelator, I really value your posts here!.

Haha, thank you Charlie! My fantasies can be somewhat strange, but on occasion they're of interest. :smt002

Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Of all the songs, only "Suspicion" as a single release seems to be a sure thing. It should have been an A-side in 1962, and I'll bet it would have made it to #1.

We, in the UK had it as a top 10 in December 1976 with Long Lonely Highway as the B side. Released to promote the January '77 album Elvis In Demand. It was exciting as hell playing it in my room at the time :)

Suspicion still excites me when I hear it. The session in March 1962 which also gave us Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello and She's Not You really highlights Elvis' ability to deliver nothing short of vocal perfection. In 3 years this vocal master would be asked to sing Petunia the Gardener's Daughter.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:37 am

Nice thread. Not my fave Elvis tune, but in some ways I enjoy Pot Luck as much if not more than SFE. Both feature great singing, but can't compare to EIB or the singles of the era.