Re: U.S.S. Arizona Memorial Benefit Show --> Golden Annivers

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:56 am

would make a great ftd book and cd set.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:07 am

It appears someone is on the hunt for Hawaii '61 footage!

Ian Lind, an award-winning Hawaiian reporter, received such a query this past week.

He posted the fellow's message on his blog. Check it out:

i L i n d . n e t
Ian Lind online daily from Kaaawa, Hawaii

A 1961 Elvis question
April 7th, 2011

From an email received yesterday:

My name is Chris Kennedy, I’m a writer working with the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

We’re searching for film footage and photographs relating to Elvis Presley’s 1961 Bloch Arena performance, a charity event for the USS Arizona Memorial.

I’m trying to identify the cameraman in the attached photo. This cameraman was at the Honolulu airport on March 25, 1961 and filmed Elvis’s arrival. I’m hoping he may have filmed more.

Would it be possible for you to distribute this photo to your associates, in the hope of identifying him?

Can you think of anyone I should speak to, anyone who may have film stored or could have been at the concert?

I’ve been in touch with Tom Moffatt and some of the TV stations. I’ve heard that KITV has 16mm film stored somewhere. Do you know anything about this?

Any suggestions, folks?

http://ilind.net/2011/04/07/a-1961-elvis-question/

Among the replies is this:

Jim // Apr 7, 2011 at 6:13 am

That’s George Cabral Sr, now deceased. His son George Junior (who may still work for Channel 2) has a lot of his dad’s footage.

Interesting!

Otherwise, the man with the query, Chris Kennedy, may be working towards some updated Elvis exhibit at Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum:

http://rockhall.com/

Kennedy also was on the hunt to find the lost October 1955 concert film:

Early Elvis Concert Lives, But Where?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4964212

WERE radio personalities Bill Randle and Tommy Edwards, Elvis Presley and bass player Bill Black at the Brooklyn High performance.
Photo: Chris Kennedy

Thanks to davide for the blog discovery.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:37 pm

He was looking for the "Piper" film for a long time. I presume he's finaly given up. It would be nice if he found some from 61 but I don't have high expectations.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Aloha, Elvis!

First of all, a quality post.

Second.. is the answer regarding the origin of the recording in front of our eyes?
As you'll see in this picture, there's a mic hanging above the stage which may very well be the source for the well known recording.
The (lack of) audio quality can be explained as a recording like this may very well be considered a professional 'audience' recording.
Multitrack obviously wasn't the case and soundboard.. I'm not sure if they even used one back then.
Maybe they just plugged some of the instuments, used a couple of amplifiers and go.

How cool would it be to have an upgraded version.
I'm sure FTD will do the job they need to do...

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Robert wrote:Second.. is the answer regarding the origin of the recording in front of our eyes?
As you'll see in this picture, there's a mic hanging above the stage which may very well be the source for the well known recording.

The mics (plural) were noted in my 2nd and 3rd posts on page 1 of this topic.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Looking at the photos, you can see an overhead mic, plus others near the amps.

drjohncarpenter wrote:You can see Bob Moore's bass is also mic'd up, and the mic the Jordanaires used. There was some effort to get a good sound mix for the audience, and maybe for recording purposes as well. The tape we have does not seem to be a "recorder pointed at the PA speaker" source.

Thanks for the kudos.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: Thanks for the kudos.

Regarding this topic, you deserve 'em :wink:

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Robert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Aloha, Elvis!

First of all, a quality post.

Second.. is the answer regarding the origin of the recording in front of our eyes?
The (lack of) audio quality can be explained as a recording like this may very well be considered a professional 'audience' recording.
Multitrack obviously wasn't the case and soundboard.. I'm not sure if they even used one back then.
Maybe they just plugged some of the instuments, used a couple of amplifiers and go.

How cool would it be to have an upgraded version.
I'm sure FTD will do the job they need to do...

I had noticed the hanging mics in the pics long ago, but you could be correct in that
they are the source of this type of recording.
I had been studying pics of the 56 tupelo show and I think I spotted a similair thing.
I will post this soon.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:47 am

How delicious. Any footage of this show would be an amazing discovery, something that could show the man at his best...something worthy of inclusion in a dvd release.
drjohncarpenter wrote:It appears someone is on the hunt for Hawaii '61 footage!

Ian Lind, an award-winning Hawaiian reporter, received such a query this past week.

He posted the fellow's message on his blog. Check it out:

i L i n d . n e t
Ian Lind online daily from Kaaawa, Hawaii

A 1961 Elvis question
April 7th, 2011

From an email received yesterday:

My name is Chris Kennedy, I’m a writer working with the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

We’re searching for film footage and photographs relating to Elvis Presley’s 1961 Bloch Arena performance, a charity event for the USS Arizona Memorial.

I’m trying to identify the cameraman in the attached photo. This cameraman was at the Honolulu airport on March 25, 1961 and filmed Elvis’s arrival. I’m hoping he may have filmed more.

Would it be possible for you to distribute this photo to your associates, in the hope of identifying him?

Can you think of anyone I should speak to, anyone who may have film stored or could have been at the concert?

I’ve been in touch with Tom Moffatt and some of the TV stations. I’ve heard that KITV has 16mm film stored somewhere. Do you know anything about this?

Any suggestions, folks?

http://ilind.net/2011/04/07/a-1961-elvis-question/

Among the replies is this:

Jim // Apr 7, 2011 at 6:13 am

That’s George Cabral Sr, now deceased. His son George Junior (who may still work for Channel 2) has a lot of his dad’s footage.

Interesting!

Otherwise, the man with the query, Chris Kennedy, may be working towards some updated Elvis exhibit at Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum:

http://rockhall.com/

Kennedy also was on the hunt to find the lost October 1955 concert film:

Early Elvis Concert Lives, But Where?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4964212

WERE radio personalities Bill Randle and Tommy Edwards, Elvis Presley and bass player Bill Black at the Brooklyn High performance.
Photo: Chris Kennedy

Thanks to davide for the blog discovery.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:01 pm

I've come across some amazing fact about Elvis Presley sell sold all his cars at sell my car phoenix in arizona from this thread. Amazing!!
Last edited by powdajohn on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:24 pm

Superb, superb thread! Thanks Doc and everybody else who contributed!

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:29 pm

8) Here is a link to some great footage of Elvis arriving in Hawaii for the big concert and other footage of him visiting in 1968!!!!! They play the Viva Elvis version of Love me Tender at the end!! 8)

http://videos.elvis.com/Default.aspx

The story-

HONOLULU (AP) – Fifty years ago, Elvis Presley helped raised money and directed much-needed attention to the stalled efforts to build the USS Arizona Memorial. The King is now being remembered for his contributions as the historic sites at Pearl Harbor enters a new era.

Pacific Historic Parks, in partnership with Elvis Presley Enterprises Inc., will start selling T-shirts on Friday for $24.95 to commemorate the iconic crooner’s historic benefit concert at Pearl Harbor’s Bloch Arena on March 25, 1961. Proceeds will support the educational programs at the USS Arizona Memorial and the new $56 million Pearl Harbor Visitor Center.

The black T-shirt features an image of the original concert billboard with Presley standing in his gold lame suit and a hangtag replica of the concert ticket. The shirts will be available at the visitor center’s bookstore or online at http://www.PacificHistoricParks.org through the end of the year.

“For us, recognizing this benefit concert is a way of making the public aware of the cultural history of the memorial,“ said Daniel Martinez, Pearl Harbor historian for the National Park Service’s World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument.

A program is shown for a benefit concert in Hawaii put on by Elvis Presley for the USS Arizona Memorial (not built yet) in 1961. (AP Photo/ Word War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument)

Congress in the late 1950s authorized the construction of the memorial to honor the crewmembers entombed when the USS Arizona was sunk during an aerial attack by the Japanese that plunged the United States into World War II. The Pacific War Memorial Commission was tasked with raising $500,000 to build the USS Arizona Memorial.

Ralph Edwards, host of the hit TV series, “This is Your Life,“ kicked off the public fundraising efforts on his Dec. 3, 1958 show when he featured Arizona crewmember and Medal of Honor recipient Samuel Fuqua. More than $95,000 was raised.

But contributions and attention dwindled over the next couple years, with less than half of the $500,000 raised. Presley’s manager, Colonel Tom Parker, read about the stalled efforts in the Los Angeles Examiner.

Presley, who was already scheduled to be in the islands to film “Blue Hawaii,“ agreed to help by performing a benefit concert. It was his last live stage performance for more than eight years.

“Both of these celebrities, one that kicked it off and one that came to its aid two years later, are important,“ Martinez said. “I think this is the beginning of the influence of celebrities in national campaigns of fundraising in our country. ... It wasn’t just a concert. It was an event that had national attention and media coverage.“

On March 25, 1961, the 26-year-old Presley took the stage to an arena packed with 4,000 frenzied, screaming fans who paid anywhere from $3 to $100 a ticket.

Presley performed 15 songs that night, including “Heartbreak Hotel,“ “All Shook Up,“ “I Got A Woman,“ “I Need Your Love Tonight,“ “Don’t Be Cruel,“ “Are You Lonesome Tonight,“ and “Swing Down Sweet Chariot.“ He ended the show with a rousing performance of “Hound Dog, which included a slide across the stage on his knees.

The concert raised about $54,000, and public and private donations poured in following the show, which received heavy publicity across the country. Hawaii’s then-freshman Sen. Daniel Inouye, who today is the most senior member of the Senate, helped secure the final $150,000 to complete the construction during the fall.

“Mr. Presley’s role is significant because it brought renewed interest in finishing the memorial and undoubtedly had an influence on the citizens of the United States and our government,“ Martinez said.

The USS Arizona Memorial was dedicated the following year on Memorial Day – May 30, 1962. The gleaming, white, open-air structure straddles the Arizona’s sunken hull, where 1,177 lives were lost. In all, some 2,400 sailors, Marines and soldiers were killed in the attack on Dec. 7, 1941.

“This is one of many examples we have of Elvis’ desire to use his talent to help and honor others,“ Jack Soden, president and CEO of Elvis Presley Enterprises said in a statement. “Especially considering his own military service, we’re certain this one was especially significant to Elvis.“

Today, the USS Arizona Memorial, a top visitor attraction in Hawaii, is managed by the National Park Service and includes the newly rebuilt Pearl Harbor Visitor Center.

In this photo taken March 25, 1961 and provided by Word War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument. Elvis Presley receives an award from members of The pacific War Memorial Commission at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel in Honolulu, Hawaii. Fifty years ago, Elvis Presley helped raise money and bring attention to help build the USS Arizona Memorial. The King is being asked to deliver one more time. (AP Photo/ Word War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks, everyone.

Maybe someday the concert will be reissued, as it is out of print right now.

Click for a direct link to the 1961 video -->
Elvis Presley - Hawaii, Saturday, March 25, 1961

Now Playing:
More than 4,000 fans attended a benefit concert that Elvis held at Bloch Arena
in Honolulu, Hawaii, on March 25, 1961, to help raise money to build the USS
Arizona Memorial.

Pacific Historic Parks is now offering a limited-edition Elvis Presley t-shirt to
commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Presley’s historic benefit concert at the
Pearl Harbor Navy Yard Bloch Arena in Hawaii.

This video includes the song 'Love Me Tender' from Viva ELVIS - The Album, now
available on ShopElvis.com.

You can see Hal Wallis, Tom Parker, Tom Moffatt, Minnie Pearl, Red West, Tom Diskin and Sonny West in the newsreel footage.

"It's hard to concentrate anytime."

What a day!

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 pm

8) Elvis shows his great sense of humor about the leis and what you quoted-"It's hard to concentrate anytime."-and the footage really is great!! Hopefully concert footage will emerge someday!!! 8)

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:27 am

ian wrote:8) Elvis shows his great sense of humor about the leis and what you quoted-"It's hard to concentrate anytime."-and the footage really is great!! Hopefully concert footage will emerge someday!!! 8)

As previously mentioned, the problem with the footage and the quote that you mention - is that the section of Elvis being interviewed by Tom Moffatt and wearing the yachting cap is actually from 1962 when Elvis arrived in Hawaii for the production of 'Girls! Girls! Girls!', and not from June 25, 1961.

Davide

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:35 am

davide wrote:As previously mentioned, the problem with the footage and the quote that you mention - is that the section of Elvis being interviewed by Tom Moffatt and wearing the yachting cap is actually from 1962 when Elvis arrived in Hawaii for the production of 'Girls! Girls! Girls!', and not from June 25, 1961.

Of course, you are correct. Elvis donned a cowboy hat along with the leis on March 25, 1961. Moffatt was also there, not sure what hat he wore, though.

On page 1 of this topic I added this shot from the April 1962 meeting of Moffatt and Presley:

KPOI-AM DJ Tom Moffatt, Elvis - Saturday, April 7, 1962
Arriving for location filming in Hawaii for Paramount's "Girls! Girls! Girls!"
Source: Honolulu Star-Bulletin, http://archives.starbulletin.com
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:39 pm

The Tunzi book "Elvis Hawaii 61" covers the subject also.(and Blue Hawaii)
included with the book is a double sided repro ticket and interview cd

Last edited by VEGAS74 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Last edited by VEGAS74 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:48 pm

Last edited by VEGAS74 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Last edited by VEGAS74 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Last edited by VEGAS74 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Last edited by VEGAS74 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Last edited by VEGAS74 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Last edited by VEGAS74 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Last edited by VEGAS74 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Last edited by VEGAS74 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.