Dayton Burr "Bones" Howe --> Thank YOU !

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:07 am

I recently stumbled across an insightful 1997 Billboard article detailing how some of the coolest official Elvis outtakes from 1956 and 1957 (not to mention quality tapes from 1968) were uncovered in the years after Elvis' death.

Billboard - July 19, 1997

Bones Howe --> Yes!

Back in January 1957 he was a 23 year-old assistant engineer under Thorne Nogar -- "Thorny," as Elvis called him -- at Radio Recorders. Note this 1957 session log:

Mixer: Thorne
Recorder: Bones

Radio Recorders: Sunday, January 13, 1957

Bones would go on to be a very successful producer, not to mention engineer all Elvis' 1968 TV Special recordings.

Bones Howe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bones_Howe

The fruits of Howe's twenty years of safekeeping Elvis reels first surfaced on this stunning UK release:

Stereo '57: Essential Elvis Volume 2 (RCA PL 90250, December 1988)
Note: This actually made the UK charts in January 1989, peaking at #60!

Side 1
I Beg Of You (Take 1)
Is It So Strange (Take 1)
Have I Told You Lately That I Love You (Take 2)
It Is No Secret (Takes 1,2,3)
Blueberry Hill (Take 2)
Mean Woman Blues (Take 14)
Peace In The Valley (Takes 2,3)
Have I Told You Lately That I Love You (Take 6) --> later released on Flashback (FTD)

Side 2
Blueberry Hill (Take 7)
That's When Your Heartaches Begin (Takes 4,5,6)
Is It So Strange (Takes 7,11)
I Beg Of You (Takes 6,8)
Peace In The Valley (Take 7)
Have I Told You Lately That I Love You (Takes 12,13)
I Beg Of You (Take 12)

From the liner notes:
Recorded on January 12, 13 and 19, 1957.
Project produced by Roger Semon.
Mastered by Boppin' Bob Jones.
Project research by Ernst Jorgensen and Bones Howe.
Special thanks to Don Wardell, Ernst Jorgensen, Bones Howe and Ger Rijff.

The LP was a beautiful, gatefold release -- it was a thrill to buy a copy. RCA would do a US pressing later in 1989. To date, most of the music presented on this title has not been released elsewhere officially, not even on RCA's Follow That Dream collectors label.

More from the liner notes, by the late, great engineer Bob Jones:

A TECHNICAL NOTE ABOUT BINAURAL

A couple of years before the advent of the stereo disc in mid-1958, major record companies had been experimenting with stereophonic recording of classical music (often referred to then as 'binaural'). In the popular-music sphere, however, state-of-the-art studios were using the new Ampex 2-track tape recorders for making binaural tapes for other purposes. The engineers would place, say, the vocalist or soloist on one track and the backing band on the other; this enabled further engineering and mixing to produce the final mono master after the performers had left. In the earliest days -- as in the case of these Elvis sessions -- the binaural machine was run only as a safety copy.

Although these 2-track tapes were never intended for stereophonic release thirty-odd years ago, I have very carefully prepared them for stereo enjoyment utilizing techniques that I hope are compatible with the aims of the original recording team and artist. The quality and clarity of these originals certainly belie their age and permit and exciting stereo image by any standard -- a tribute indeed to the Radio Recorders engineers.

BOB JONES

The discovery of these 2-track masters is nothing short of a miracle. The tape boxes have "erase" clearly written on the master log sheets. They are the only ones known to exist from the pre-stereo era.

Imagine if they had indeed been erased.

Again, we thank you, Dayton Burr "Bones" Howe!
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Dayton Burr "Bones" Howe --> Thank YOU !

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:36 am

I just listened to "Stereo 57" and was once again blown away by the sound and quality of the songs.

Thank goodness for "Bones"!

Thanks Doc!

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks indeed should go to Bones. Crazy that it was deemed acceptable to dump the tapes in the first place.

Bones later became involved with music for the movies, including that great Johnny B. Goode sequence in Back to the Future.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:51 am

What a release "Stereo 57" was. Just a joy to listen to. Glad Bones didn't want to horde the tapes for his own private collection.

Thanks, Doc.

Steve L.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:00 am

stevelecher wrote:What a release "Stereo 57" was. Just a joy to listen to. Glad Bones didn't want to horde the tapes for his own private collection.

Great point.

Although I do not begrudge someone who spends a lot of money to acquire a rare Elvis film, video or tape wanting to hang onto it, lest it lose all of its value, there is no way I could sit on such a treasure trove.

Like Bones, the music means more to me than anything, keeping it to myself would be unbearable.

The world can be a cold place, and Elvis' best music makes you feel glad you're alive. The joy and vitality is undiminished, lo all these years later.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:13 am

I just love sharing Elvis' best stuff and exposing more people to it.

Steve L.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:48 am

Cool article, thanks.
And thanks to Bones for rescuing and sharing these treasures.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:04 am

stevelecher wrote:I just love sharing Elvis' best stuff and exposing more people to it.

Do you have a cache of rare tapes?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:35 am

Thanks for posting Doc,an interesting read indeed

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:56 am

keninlincs wrote:Thanks for posting Doc,an interesting read indeed

Thanks, Ken. Do you have Stereo '57 on LP or CD?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:I just love sharing Elvis' best stuff and exposing more people to it.

I'm just working on a way to share "Satisfied" with everybody.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:52 am

The Essential Elvis Vol 2 album was amazing release. The sq is superb. I remember being blown away listening to these 1957 stereo recordings. What a shame we haven't got binaural tapes left from all the 50's sessions. To think that RCA actually threw many of the tapes away. What an idiotic decision. Thanks Bones for keeping them!

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Check out this very interesting article from 2004. As I recall [I originally saw the piece on a now defunct TV text music page] the tapes went unsold. After that the trace went cold and I have never read anything on the matter since.
Whatever the case It appears very genuine to me and one can only hope Ernst is at the very least aware of the alleged existence of these "TAKES OF ALL SHOOK UP..... 6 UNEDITED REEL-TO-REEL TAPES that date from SEPTEMBER 1956 to SEPTEMBER 1957 and that the PRE-MASTERS include a take of Jailhouse Rock, religious songs and MATERIAL FROM HIS FIRST CHRISTMAS ALBUM"......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4027831.stm

Edit: EIN also picked the story up in this link.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/index_nov04part2.html

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:46 pm

album info...
(Play all the time....just the best!!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:38 pm

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I'm just working on a way to share "Satisfied" with everybody.

Ha ha ha. Don't be cruel...

VEGAS74 wrote:album info...
(Play all the time....just the best!!)

Thank you for sharing those photos from your peerless vinyl collection.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:45 pm

Great post John!

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Greybeard wrote:Great post John!

Thank you so very much!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:32 am

Great Post John,

I remember when "Stereo 57" came out. I was blown away. :)

I wish Bones could have saved the July 2nd, 1956 tapes.

::rocks

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:32 am

Great post, Doc. Glad to read about these recordings...I love the entire Essential series...in my adult life there have been few major discoveries like this...how exciting it must have been when it was released in 89 (I was 6). Hopefully someday there will be a similar 50s discovery, such as the King Creole or Christmas outtakes...or even Hound Dog! Until then I will have to settle on a new (to me anyway) 50s show in the upcoming box!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:27 am

I was only playing the CD recently, for the first time in over ten years!

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:41 am

Mitch wrote:Great Post John,

I remember when "Stereo 57" came out. I was blown away. :)

I wish Bones could have saved the July 2nd, 1956 tapes.

::rocks

Bones wasn't there as the session took place in New York and not at Radio Recorders in LA. But to your point, it would be very intresting to hear Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel outtakes.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:55 am

Marko wrote:Bones wasn't there as the session took place in New York and not at Radio Recorders in LA. But to your point, it would be very intresting to hear Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel outtakes.

It would be incredible to hear anything Elvis recorded on that Monday so long ago.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Great post.Thanks.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Delboy wrote:Great post.Thanks.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention I corresponded with Bones a few years back regarding certain details in his role as engineer for the 1968 TV Special. He could not have been more gracious, and even sent me a copy of his NBC-TV script, autographed by Elvis.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:39 am

A fine subject to discuss.

It is so sad that the June '58 session was not recorded in stereo.