Re: T-T-Talkin' About My Generation X --> 6-19-1977

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:35 am

I don't know how The Jam/Elvis comparison can be described as a changing of the guard.It only shows a young vibrant ambitious band in tune with a teenage/20 something generation.20 odd years before it was Elvis that did the same.By 1977 Elvis was unfortunately stuck playing the same show over and over again giving lazy and sometimes shambolic performances.He should not have been on stage in June 1977 but in hospital.The changing of the guard happened long before this.
I can't and don't ignore the latter Elvis period and can find some good things in it but like every artist with long careers like Elvis,The Stones,Johnny Cash etc etc there will be a period or albums that even the fans will not completely enjoy.it does not make you less of a fan if you don't enjoy watching/listening to an unhealthy Elvis struggling on stage mumbling his words,doing unbelievably long band intos and reducing his classics to scarf throwing timewasters.I don't hate Elvis for this I just wish he hadn't got to that level of addiction and bad health.

norrie

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:20 am

norrie wrote:I don't know how The Jam/Elvis comparison can be described as a changing of the guard.It only shows a young vibrant ambitious band in tune with a teenage/20 something generation.20 odd years before it was Elvis that did the same.By 1977 Elvis was unfortunately stuck playing the same show over and over again giving lazy and sometimes shambolic performances.He should not have been on stage in June 1977 but in hospital.The changing of the guard happened long before this.
I can't and don't ignore the latter Elvis period and can find some good things in it but like every artist with long careers like Elvis,The Stones,Johnny Cash etc etc there will be a period or albums that even the fans will not completely enjoy.it does not make you less of a fan if you don't enjoy watching/listening to an unhealthy Elvis struggling on stage mumbling his words,doing unbelievably long band intos and reducing his classics to scarf throwing timewasters.I don't hate Elvis for this I just wish he hadn't got to that level of addiction and bad health.

norrie

Good points Norrie, especially the last sentence.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:01 am

midnightx wrote:
likethebike wrote:And it's really, an astonishing 34 years later, an unnecessary kick, Really who cares all this time later? He ended on a down note, Oh well. Gosh, maybe he could have a had juicy bus crash in 1970 to make everything all nice and tidy. No other fan base does this in regards to their favorite.

Really? Here is an example: Led Zeppelin fans constantly bash the band for the 1975-1980 live work, constantly bash Page's execution on stage during the 1980 European tour, constantly bash Page's inability to play a guitar solo in 2011, etc.

likethebike wrote:More disturbing though is the continual kick at other fans. Which I think is a big part of the genesis of threads such as these.

That was not the genesis of the thread; and that was made clear by the author. Your insinuation is that the "kick at other fans" comes from those who do not hold EIC or the 1977 period in high regard, but the reality is that the staunch supporters are the individuals who take the aggressive kicks at others who do not share their views on the subject.

All your points are right on target, midnightx. Thank you for sharing them.

bquick wrote:Not to mention the Dylan fans who can't stand his religious period, or many of the various incarnations he has introduced over the decades. How about the Aerosmith fans (count me as one) who hated the early 80s years, or even the "Just Push Play" album...or Tyler going on American Idol as a judge and feuding with the band. DMB fans are generally critical of various albums they have produced at different times. Many Stones fans are embarrassed by their experimental Majesty's album, or even most of their work since Tattoo You. The fact is, many artists' fans ar very critical of their work or their dedication at various points. It doesn't make them less fans.

I think by even implying that Elvis 77 is okay because "it's still Elvis" is more insulting to the man's greatness and true legacy of great recordings and stage work than any anti-EIC post or thread could be. When people say EIC-era Elvis is anywhere near what he used to be and we should just be glad he recorded and performed what he did during this era is spitting in the face of the young man who first stepped into Sun Studios and changed music...a kick in the shin of the man who recorded fr RCA in the 50s and set the world afire...a slap to the man who returned triumphantly from the army and recorded amazing blues, rock, and gospel...a punch in the gut to the leather black clad King who reclaimed his throne in 1968 and then returned to stage and studio successfully in 1969 and 1970...and even the road warrior of 1971-1973 who put on exciting, professional shows and entertained millions.

Exactly right, bquick. Only the greatest artists see such devotion, scholarship and debate. Elvis is in that category, as are Dylan, the Stones, Led Zeppelin and a small group of other artists from the rock era. How odd that this is missed by some who claim to have a broad background in popular music.

IMETJB wrote:And you can add a few more hot topics that Stones fans are difficult about:

- the preference of Mick Taylor vs Ronnie Wood on guitar
- Mick's terrible performances during the 1975/76 tour
- The song "Miss You"
- The 1986 album, "Dirty Work" is consistently panned across the board by fans as their worst album
- Keith's laziness in playing guitar during the last 3 tours
- Any album post Tattoo You

I mean, there are some Stones fans out there that dismiss their entire catalog after Mick Taylor left in 1974.

It's only on Elvis boards do I see such a personal hurt when Elvis' low points are discussed. You'd think that our common enjoyment of Elvis Presley would bring us all on a common ground and we could be mature about it. Who better to discuss how awful EIC was but with other true Elvis fans?

BINGO!!!

Chris Roberts wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Someone recently posted a thrilling, early live clip of the Jam here:

phpBB [video]

The Jam, "In the City" (Manchester, UK - Sunday, June 19, 1977)
"So It Goes," Series 2, Granada TV - broadcast Sunday, November 20, 1977.
Notice TV host Tony Wilson, and guest Poly Styrene, as the segment is introduced.

Through the years I've been ambivalent about the Jam, but when I see something like this it's clear they had something special going. Who-like approach, but better looking, lots of punk energy with pop panache. Paul Weller and company made some very good records. "Thick As Thieves" is a personal fave.

The clip is fantastic, capturing the feeling of seeing them in a small club. How many of you notice it's from the Electric Circus in Manchester? Many great bands got their start in this venue. For example, Warsaw did their first gig there on 5-29-1977. They would soon become the now-legendary Joy Division. The Jam performance is from the same location just three weeks later, on 6-19-1977.

The date is both auspicious and ironic. Someone else was working that Sunday:

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley, "Are You Lonesome To-night?" (Omaha, NE - Sunday, June 19, 1977)
Taped for CBS-TV's "Elvis in Concert - broadcast Monday, October 3, 1977 (not used).
Notice Charlie Hodge holding the mic and doing a bit of the "swishy" routine.

Nowhere is the changing of the guard, and the clash of generations, more evident than in these two pieces of footage, shot on the very same day.

I certainly wouldn't say that the changing of the guard, and the clash of generations was as great or as important in 1977 as it had been in 1956, and to a lesser extent in 1963/4. By the late 70's the new generation definitely wanted to break away from the type of artist Elvis had become, which was the total opposite of the '55/6 rock'n'roll rebel. In so many ways the punk movement was taking the music back to that era, with basic instrumentation, loud raw aggressive vocals and normal street clothes. They were doing what Elvis had done all those years before, rebelling against lush orchestras, be-jeweled Liberace type singers and glitzy Las Vegas style entertainment! They were the same sort of fresh air as the rock singers were 21 years earlier.

Very nice post!

Don't forget too that punk rock was also rebelling against the virtuoso flash, elitism and excess of 70s rock.

tupelo_boy wrote:So we can't make comparisons with Elvis contemporaries throughout a 22 year career?

sometimes this board is one strange place...

I'll stop visiting if rizzible gets his Elvis love fest dream. I think I prefer the debate when it's about Elvis and his music and not this shout down anyone who doesn't love everything Elvis buffoonery.

Geoff, your view completely echoes mine. Thank you.

norrie wrote:I don't know how The Jam/Elvis comparison can be described as a changing of the guard.

Seeing the connections between the June 19, 1977 clips shouldn't be so difficult.

As noted, I found the confluence of the June 19, 1977 date most intriguing. And the Jam are clearly one of the finest bands to come out of the 1976-1979 period where rock 'n' roll experienced a creative resurgence by going back to its roots. And it goes without saying that Elvis was THE avatar of the explosion in popular culture back in 1956.

---

Call my discovery of the clips sharing a date as serendipitous if you must, I just felt it would make for an interesting, intelligent topic of discussion. And for some of us, it has been just that, so I thank you.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:57 am

I still think that this topic will go down on this board's history as one of the worse. Moronic comments derailing it, people acting like retards, useless, unnecessary and stupid posts... Heck, it's awful. Some of you should be ashamed. What could have been a healthy discussion (from everyone no matter if they do support Elvis in the late 70's or not) turned out to be a pool of idiocy like I never saw around here.

I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone but I think this topic has gone for too long and wonder how could that it's not locked yet. It's a shame to this board in its current state.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:47 am

I think your opinion is your own, and I can respect that even if I disagree. But I do think your use of the term "retards" is disrespectful and just wrong.

billyblues wrote:I still think that this topic will go down on this board's history as one of the worse. Moronic comments derailing it, people acting like retards, useless, unnecessary and stupid posts... Heck, it's awful. Some of you should be ashamed. What could have been a healthy discussion (from everyone no matter if they do support Elvis in the late 70's or not) turned out to be a pool of idiocy like I never saw around here.

I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone but I think this topic has gone for too long and wonder how could that it's not locked yet. It's a shame to this board in its current state.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:
likethebike wrote:And it's really, an astonishing 34 years later, an unnecessary kick, Really who cares all this time later? He ended on a down note, Oh well. Gosh, maybe he could have a had juicy bus crash in 1970 to make everything all nice and tidy. No other fan base does this in regards to their favorite.

Really? Here is an example: Led Zeppelin fans constantly bash the band for the 1975-1980 live work, constantly bash Page's execution on stage during the 1980 European tour, constantly bash Page's inability to play a guitar solo in 2011, etc.

likethebike wrote:More disturbing though is the continual kick at other fans. Which I think is a big part of the genesis of threads such as these.

That was not the genesis of the thread; and that was made clear by the author. Your insinuation is that the "kick at other fans" comes from those who do not hold EIC or the 1977 period in high regard, but the reality is that the staunch supporters are the individuals who take the aggressive kicks at others who do not share their views on the subject.

All your points are right on target, midnightx. Thank you for sharing them.

bquick wrote:Not to mention the Dylan fans who can't stand his religious period, or many of the various incarnations he has introduced over the decades. How about the Aerosmith fans (count me as one) who hated the early 80s years, or even the "Just Push Play" album...or Tyler going on American Idol as a judge and feuding with the band. DMB fans are generally critical of various albums they have produced at different times. Many Stones fans are embarrassed by their experimental Majesty's album, or even most of their work since Tattoo You. The fact is, many artists' fans ar very critical of their work or their dedication at various points. It doesn't make them less fans.

I think by even implying that Elvis 77 is okay because "it's still Elvis" is more insulting to the man's greatness and true legacy of great recordings and stage work than any anti-EIC post or thread could be. When people say EIC-era Elvis is anywhere near what he used to be and we should just be glad he recorded and performed what he did during this era is spitting in the face of the young man who first stepped into Sun Studios and changed music...a kick in the shin of the man who recorded fr RCA in the 50s and set the world afire...a slap to the man who returned triumphantly from the army and recorded amazing blues, rock, and gospel...a punch in the gut to the leather black clad King who reclaimed his throne in 1968 and then returned to stage and studio successfully in 1969 and 1970...and even the road warrior of 1971-1973 who put on exciting, professional shows and entertained millions.

Exactly right, bquick. Only the greatest artists see such devotion, scholarship and debate. Elvis is in that category, as are Dylan, the Stones, Led Zeppelin and a small group of other artists from the rock era. How odd that this is missed by some who claim to have a broad background in popular music.

IMETJB wrote:And you can add a few more hot topics that Stones fans are difficult about:

- the preference of Mick Taylor vs Ronnie Wood on guitar
- Mick's terrible performances during the 1975/76 tour
- The song "Miss You"
- The 1986 album, "Dirty Work" is consistently panned across the board by fans as their worst album
- Keith's laziness in playing guitar during the last 3 tours
- Any album post Tattoo You

I mean, there are some Stones fans out there that dismiss their entire catalog after Mick Taylor left in 1974.

It's only on Elvis boards do I see such a personal hurt when Elvis' low points are discussed. You'd think that our common enjoyment of Elvis Presley would bring us all on a common ground and we could be mature about it. Who better to discuss how awful EIC was but with other true Elvis fans?

BINGO!!!

Chris Roberts wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Someone recently posted a thrilling, early live clip of the Jam here:

phpBB [video]

The Jam, "In the City" (Manchester, UK - Sunday, June 19, 1977)
"So It Goes," Series 2, Granada TV - broadcast Sunday, November 20, 1977.
Notice TV host Tony Wilson, and guest Poly Styrene, as the segment is introduced.

Through the years I've been ambivalent about the Jam, but when I see something like this it's clear they had something special going. Who-like approach, but better looking, lots of punk energy with pop panache. Paul Weller and company made some very good records. "Thick As Thieves" is a personal fave.

The clip is fantastic, capturing the feeling of seeing them in a small club. How many of you notice it's from the Electric Circus in Manchester? Many great bands got their start in this venue. For example, Warsaw did their first gig there on 5-29-1977. They would soon become the now-legendary Joy Division. The Jam performance is from the same location just three weeks later, on 6-19-1977.

The date is both auspicious and ironic. Someone else was working that Sunday:

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley, "Are You Lonesome To-night?" (Omaha, NE - Sunday, June 19, 1977)
Taped for CBS-TV's "Elvis in Concert - broadcast Monday, October 3, 1977 (not used).
Notice Charlie Hodge holding the mic and doing a bit of the "swishy" routine.

Nowhere is the changing of the guard, and the clash of generations, more evident than in these two pieces of footage, shot on the very same day.

I certainly wouldn't say that the changing of the guard, and the clash of generations was as great or as important in 1977 as it had been in 1956, and to a lesser extent in 1963/4. By the late 70's the new generation definitely wanted to break away from the type of artist Elvis had become, which was the total opposite of the '55/6 rock'n'roll rebel. In so many ways the punk movement was taking the music back to that era, with basic instrumentation, loud raw aggressive vocals and normal street clothes. They were doing what Elvis had done all those years before, rebelling against lush orchestras, be-jeweled Liberace type singers and glitzy Las Vegas style entertainment! They were the same sort of fresh air as the rock singers were 21 years earlier.

Very nice post!

Don't forget too that punk rock was also rebelling against the virtuoso flash, elitism and excess of 70s rock.

tupelo_boy wrote:So we can't make comparisons with Elvis contemporaries throughout a 22 year career?

sometimes this board is one strange place...

I'll stop visiting if rizzible gets his Elvis love fest dream. I think I prefer the debate when it's about Elvis and his music and not this shout down anyone who doesn't love everything Elvis buffoonery.

Geoff, your view completely echoes mine. Thank you.

norrie wrote:I don't know how The Jam/Elvis comparison can be described as a changing of the guard.

Seeing the connections between the June 19, 1977 clips shouldn't be so difficult.

As noted, I found the confluence of the June 19, 1977 date most intriguing. And the Jam are clearly one of the finest bands to come out of the 1976-1979 period where rock 'n' roll experienced a creative resurgence by going back to its roots. And it goes without saying that Elvis was THE avatar of the explosion in popular culture back in 1956.

---

Call my discovery of the clips sharing a date as serendipitous if you must, I just felt it would make for an interesting, intelligent topic of discussion. And for some of us, it has been just that, so I thank you.

Seeing the connection between your name and trouble is not so difficuit at all. All that you done was make comparison of something that happen on the same date and then called it ironic.
After that you wait for 8 pages of loaded comments so that you can pick through the comments of people that actually may know something of the jam among others.
And then after picking through the comments to get your facts, you come with your little summary of all Knowledge with alittle help from google, and then say it was your discovery.
Its very clear to me and others what your intention was at the very start.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:30 pm

billyblues wrote:I still think that this topic will go down on this board's history as one of the worse. Moronic comments derailing it, people acting like retards, useless, unnecessary and stupid posts... Heck, it's awful. Some of you should be ashamed. What could have been a healthy discussion (from everyone no matter if they do support Elvis in the late 70's or not) turned out to be a pool of idiocy like I never saw around here.

There are far more 'shameful' things on this board than this particular thread and calling people retards is hardly great either is it.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:29 am

TCBAlways wrote:There are far more 'shameful' things on this board than this particular thread and calling people retards is hardly great either is it.

At least I'm not calling myself better than anyone. My criticism in relation to this topic wasn't directed at everyone who posted in this particular topic but yes, maybe it wasn't very tasteful. So let's put it that way: all the name calling, unfunny jokes and the like are not really intelligent. You just can't call it intelligent or even mature.

I'm very sorry if I offended you even if I never mentioned your name/nickname - but then again offense has been thrown like candy in this topic and it seems that it's acceptable from the major part of the users. As long as you make penis jokes and talk about gangbang (?), everything's fine!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:36 am

billyblues wrote:
TCBAlways wrote:There are far more 'shameful' things on this board than this particular thread and calling people retards is hardly great either is it.

At least I'm not calling myself better than anyone. My criticism in relation to this topic wasn't directed at everyone who posted in this particular topic but yes, maybe it wasn't very tasteful. So let's put it that way: all the name calling, unfunny jokes and the like are not really intelligent. You just can't call it intelligent or even mature.

I'm very sorry if I offended you even if I never mentioned your name/nickname - but then again offense has been thrown like candy in this topic and it seems that it's acceptable from the major part of the users. As long as you make penis jokes and talk about gangbang (?), everything's fine!

No you are not ,and neither am I . You are right , the offensive comments have gone too far on this and other threads.
The penis jokes or gangbang talk had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with me.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:17 am

TCBAlways wrote:No you are not ,and neither am I . You are right , the offensive comments have gone too far on this and other threads.
The penis jokes or gangbang talk had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with me.

Yes, it has nothing to do with you and it wasn't what I meant. Don't worry. I just think that this topic reached an absolute low point and it's a shame. From the 8 pages we have I believe that not even half is worth. What could have been a legit discussion turned out to be 8 pages of jokes about penises, gangbang, unrelated and immature talk that totally derailed the topic, name calling and offensive comments towards other artists not named Elvis Presley.

If that's not a reason to be ashamed, I don't know what is.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:40 am

rizzy56 wrote:Seeing the connection between your name and trouble is not so difficuit at all. All that you done was make comparison of something that happen on the same date and then called it ironic.
After that you wait for 8 pages of loaded comments so that you can pick through the comments of people that actually may know something of the jam among others.
And then after picking through the comments to get your facts, you come with your little summary of all Knowledge with alittle help from google, and then say it was your discovery.

I guess I'm a little unclear as to what Doc's intention was other than to state the fact that these two events happened on the same date... and to illustrate the fact that they were at entirely different stages of their careers...
Listen, I've been on this board a lot longer than most people that post on here these days and I've read Doc's contributions to this forum since the late 90's... he is hardly someone who doesn't have a passion for Elvis and his legend... if you believe otherwise that's simply your misfortune...

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Excellent thread Doc, as a few people on here know I'm a massive Jam/Weller fan and agree completely with all the positive Weller comments posted. Although I've had a copy of the Jam's "Electric Circus" performance for many years, firstly on a old VHS tape, more recently on a DVD, I was unaware of the date. Weller's passion for his music still burns as strongly today as it did thirty four years ago.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Excellent thread Doc, as a few people on here know I'm a massive Jam/Weller fan and agree completely with all the positive Weller comments posted. Although I've had a copy of the Jam's "Electric Circus" performance for many years, firstly on a old VHS tape, more recently on a DVD, I was unaware of the date. Weller's passion for his music still burns as strongly today as it did thirty four years ago.

Oh good all the negativity was so f*cking worth it to read the doc rattle on about paul F*cking Weller !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:05 pm

rocknroller wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:Excellent thread Doc, as a few people on here know I'm a massive Jam/Weller fan and agree completely with all the positive Weller comments posted. Although I've had a copy of the Jam's "Electric Circus" performance for many years, firstly on a old VHS tape, more recently on a DVD, I was unaware of the date. Weller's passion for his music still burns as strongly today as it did thirty four years ago.

Oh good all the negativity was so f*cking worth it to read the doc rattle on about paul F*cking Weller !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The negativity was not started by the Doc. The pro-EIC crowd couldn't handle the topic, so it went off course.

If the Doc hadn't brought up Paul Weller and instead was discussing Keith Urban, perhaps you wouldn't have had such a problem.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 pm

midnightx wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

The negativity was not started by the Doc. The pro-EIC crowd couldn't handle the topic, so it went off course.

If the Doc hadn't brought up Paul Weller and instead was discussing Keith Urban, perhaps you wouldn't have had such a problem.

Well keith would have softened the problem a bit :lol:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:16 pm

IMETJB wrote:Those years can definitely be swept under the rug. As I mentioned earlier, these last concert years were basically one long, 4 year tour. The same exact show repeated night in and night out and as far as I'm concerned those last concert years can be lumped into one drawn out period. Save for a few highlight shows from each year... 99% is dismissible.

And yet the shows were mostly sold out. It´s what the people wanted. They wanted the same old hits, even if the performance was not top notch...
If the audience would have not liked it, changes would have been made. That being said, he did take the shortest route in those last years. By choise or not...

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:24 pm

[quote="midnightx]Thanks for dropping by.[/quote]

What "inspiring" words...
Last edited by Scarre on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:28 pm

bquick wrote:Anti-77 people can't let it go? There is a new thread each damn week titled "Will EIC be released?" or something along those lines.

Just goes to show how much the members here like this period...

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Later Presley concerts being sold out bears no relation to the quality of his shows, or whether the spectacle and anticipation of seeing Elvis in person outweighed that off a fobbed-off catalogue of hits.

But discontentment and disappointment in Elvis was setting in by early '76, and venues re-visited after disasterous shows suffered at the gate. Elvis's fan-base and popularity ensured near-sell-outs all over, but as reviews began to hurt and Elvis stumbled towards his ultimate fall, one has to wonder what may have taken him off the road first -- empty seats, or increasingly bad press and poor reviews. Although, E.I.C. could actually have achieved both!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:46 pm

greystoke wrote:Later Presley concerts being sold out bears no relation to the quality of his shows

Then how do you explain that big acts drop out? It is the people attending the shows that "approve" the show. As long as it works, it will (for the most part) continue. It is when it is not working changes are being made.
IMO there are too many concerts "below" standards, mostly during the last years. But still, the shows where mostly sold out. People simply liked what they got.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:13 am

rizzy56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Seeing the connection between your name and trouble is not so difficuit at all. All that you done was make comparison of something that happen on the same date and then called it ironic.

Amen!!!!

Thank you, rizzy, for the telling the truth.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:29 am

There's a whole DVD of the Electric Circus performance? Please PM me with info, if you are able. Also note, not only did I provide the concert date, but the broadcast date, network, host and programme. It's something I enjoy sharing with those who care.

midnightx wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! That was hilarious, thank you.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Call my discovery of the clips sharing a date as serendipitous if you must, I just felt it would make for an interesting, intelligent topic of discussion. And for some of us, it has been just that, so I thank you.

If that was the purpose of this topic, then I can see no "wrong" with it. I do wonder about your "two faces". On page 4 you accuse people for name-calling. But on that very same page you speak of "an idiot". Telling...

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:40 am

Negative reviews and poor word-of-mouth doesn't foster anticipation or pique one's interests in a sub-standard performer -- but I'm sure a lot of attendees - fans or otherwise - didn't expect what they may have gotten from Elvis in '76 and '77. And, in many instances, it took a year - or more - until certain venues were returned to. And from such a trend began -- infamous shows and tours from '74 and '76 biting back when Elvis played the same venue/town in '77.

Therefore, the assumption that fans liked what they got, just because of the numbers, neglects the fact that many fans and an increasing number of critics actually didn't like what they got . . . Whilst, Elvis - more often than not - playing the suburbs and lesser-venues, kept him out of the national press and afforded an air of nostalgia through his name and hits of the past -- certainly, those turning out to see Elvis in person, weren't so keen to buy his latest releases. Even in the '70s, greatest hits and older material outsold his newer records; and an obvious nostalgia for Elvis's past glories surely helped sell more tickets than My Boy, Today or Raised on Rock . . .

And a backlash towards the Elvis Presley show wasn't going to happen overnight, but by 1977 it certainly WAS happening. And such was the result, not of doing it ''right'' -- such was the result of renown turning to infamy . . .

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:43 am

Scarre wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Call my discovery of the clips sharing a date as serendipitous if you must, I just felt it would make for an interesting, intelligent topic of discussion. And for some of us, it has been just that, so I thank you.

If that was the purpose of this topic, then I can see no "wrong" with it.

There is no "if." That was my purpose, and I have made it clear in my original post and again after that.

Scarre wrote:I do wonder about your "two faces". On page 4 you accuse people for name-calling. But on that very same page you speak of "an idiot". Telling...

Read again, but this time do it with care. And I don't at all respect the "two faces" comment.

I accuse no-one in particular of name-calling, I make a general and factual observation:

drjohncarpenter wrote:Wow. Some interesting comments amongst the name-calling.

And on that same page I call no-one in particular an idiot, it is another general and factual observation.

I would greatly appreciate it if you stick to the facts in the future when making assessments.

Thanks!

::rocks