Re: T-T-Talkin' About My Generation X --> 6-19-1977

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:16 pm

IMETJB wrote:
TCBAlways wrote:,and if they want to defend him, then that just shows the love they have for him from beginning to end and thats just what somebody who admires another does.

Understood. But surely you can understand that not everyone chooses to be so generous with their "love" for an artist? This, after all, is a discussion board...so there's only so much you can expect to gain if we all were the gushing fans that admired everything Elvis did.

Of course,not everybody is going to agree and this ,above all other topics seems to divide Elvis fans .

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:21 pm

What troubles me about any EIC thread is, that some here take delight in taking lumps out of elvis. And in doing so seem to enjoy it.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:22 pm

rizzy56 wrote:What troubles me about any EIC thread is, that some here take delight in taking lumps out of elvis. And in doing so seem to enjoy it.

Yes that troubles me also rizzy ,I dont like that one bit ,there is no need to be so vicious about it .

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:26 pm

bquick wrote:Anti-77 people can't let it go? There is a new thread each damn week titled "Will EIC be released?" or something along those lines

What exactly is an "anti-1977" person? Someone who doesn't fawn over every note from 1977? Additionally, the so-called "anti-1977" people are not the ones who start weekly "Will EIC be released?" threads.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Someone recently posted a thrilling, early live clip of the Jam here:

phpBB [video]

The Jam, "In the City" (Manchester, UK - Sunday, June 19, 1977)
"So It Goes," Series 2, Granada TV - broadcast Sunday, November 20, 1977.
Notice TV host Tony Wilson, and guest Poly Styrene, as the segment is introduced.

Through the years I've been ambivalent about the Jam, but when I see something like this it's clear they had something special going. Who-like approach, but better looking, lots of punk energy with pop panache. Paul Weller and company made some very good records. "Thick As Thieves" is a personal fave.

The clip is fantastic, capturing the feeling of seeing them in a small club. How many of you notice it's from the Electric Circus in Manchester? Many great bands got their start in this venue. For example, Warsaw did their first gig there on 5-29-1977. They would soon become the now-legendary Joy Division. The Jam performance is from the same location just three weeks later, on 6-19-1977.

The date is both auspicious and ironic. Someone else was working that Sunday:

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley, "Are You Lonesome To-night?" (Omaha, NE - Sunday, June 19, 1977)
Taped for CBS-TV's "Elvis in Concert - broadcast Monday, October 3, 1977 (not used).
Notice Charlie Hodge holding the mic and doing a bit of the "swishy" routine.

Nowhere is the changing of the guard, and the clash of generations, more evident than in these two pieces of footage, shot on the very same day.

I certainly wouldn't say that the changing of the guard, and the clash of generations was as great or as important in 1977 as it had been in 1956, and to a lesser extent in 1963/4. By the late 70's the new generation definatly wanted to break away from the type of artist Elvis had become, which was the total oposite of the '55/6 rock'n'roll rebel. In so many ways the punk movement was taking the music back to that era, with basic instrumentation, loud raw agressive vocals and normal street clothes. They were doing what Elvis had done all those years before, rebeling against lush orchestras, be-jeweled Liberace type singers and glitzy Las Vegas style entertainment! They were the same sort of fresh air as the rock singers were 21 years earlier.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:38 pm

midnightx wrote:
bquick wrote:Anti-77 people can't let it go? There is a new thread each damn week titled "Will EIC be released?" or something along those lines

What exactly is an "anti-1977" person? Someone who doesn't fawn over every note from 1977? Additionally, the so-called "anti-1977" people are not the ones who start weekly "Will EIC be released?" threads.

Look who started this thread, and then threw in the EIC.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:54 pm

midnightx wrote:

That was my point exactly.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:58 pm

tahoe76 wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:
midnightx wrote:

+1

+ 2

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:02 am

bquick wrote:
IMETJB wrote:
bquick wrote:Many Stones fans are embarrassed by their experimental Majesty's album, or even most of their work since Tattoo You. The fact is, many artists' fans ar very critical of their work or their dedication at various points. It doesn't make them lesses fans.

And you can add a few more hot topics that Stones fans are difficult about:

- the preference of Mick Taylor vs Ronnie Wood on guitar
- Mick's terrible performances during the 1975/76 tour
- The song "Miss You"
- The 1986 album, "Dirty Work" is consistently panned across the board by fans as their worst album
- Keith's laziness in playing guitar during the last 3 tours
- Any album post Tattoo You

I mean, there are some Stones fans out there that dismiss their entire catalog after Mick Taylor left in 1974.

It's only on Elvis boards do I see such a personal hurt when Elvis' low points are discussed. You'd think that our common enjoyment of Elvis Presley would bring us all on a common ground and we could be mature about it. Who better to discuss how awful EIC was but with other true Elvis fans?

Agreed...and I should know, the Stones are my SECOND favorite act ever (can you guess #1?). Side notes, for any interested...Mick > Ronnie, Miss You is a winner, Dirty Work is terrible sans the first track, Keith has been lazy since about 02 or 03...even in the Babylon tour he was much better...and they have done some good stuff in the years since Tattoo You, but not one consistently great album.

Very nice bquick...Stones are my number 2 also...or perhaps my second number one?

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:45 am

rizzy56 wrote:
midnightx wrote:

So one isn't allowed to reference EIC unless they plan on promoting its greatness? +1? +2?

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:48 am

I knew by the amount of responses, what this thread would turn into, which it has. I don't think Elvis was thinking of being relevant among teenagers, nor was it realistic to think that at his age in 1977 and his condition, he should have to be. He was just hanging in life. Now, anybody wants to make a valid comparison, make it when somebody was at their best, not at their lowest ebb, it's not right.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:05 am

So we can't make comparisons with Elvis contemporaries throughout a 22 year career?

sometimes this board is one strange place...

I'll stop visiting if rizzible gets his Elvis love fest dream. I think I prefer the debate when it's about Elvis and his music and not this shout down anyone who doesn't love everything Elvis buffoonery.

Geoff

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:07 am

midnightx wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:
midnightx wrote:

So one isn't allowed to reference EIC unless they plan on promoting its greatness? +1? +2?
midnightx wrote:Two nights later on June 21, 1977 when Elvis was attempting to salvage the EIC filming in Rapid City, Led Zeppelin unleashed what many Zeppelin aficionados consider one of the band's most legendary gigs at the L.A. Forum, known to many as Listen To This Eddie.

midnightx wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:Dont you love it how they run in packs to kick the dirt into elvis face every time, so by 77 what did yous want elvis to be doing! reinventing R&R?..no matter what shape or voice elvis was in there was always going to be anew generation & movement in the music world.

But Elvis didn't need to look like a washed-up hack. He could have continued to develop his own craft and push creative boundaries of his own.

The only washed up hack here is you. So please spare us your reference of insults.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:12 am

tupelo_boy wrote:So we can't make comparisons with Elvis contemporaries throughout a 22 year career?

I'll stop visiting if rizzible gets his Elvis love fest dream. I think I prefer the debate when it's about Elvis and his music and not this shout down anyone who doesn't love everything Elvis buffoonery.

Geoff

You mean dont love what tyhe bullys have to say?

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:15 am

tupelo_boy wrote:So we can't make comparisons with Elvis contemporaries throughout a 22 year career?

Geoff

The board is going through changes...slowly but surely. It's not an easy place for the ones that want breeze through this board and speak their praises about Elvis and hide away from the dark parts. I'm entitled to my view and have no problem adding it when I see such an imbalance of gushing over rationale critique.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:19 am

IMETJB wrote:

Geoff

The board is going through changes...slowly but surely. It's not an easy place for the ones that want breeze through this board and speak their praises about Elvis and hide away from the dark parts. I'm entitled to my view and have no problem adding it when I see such an imbalance of gushing over rationale critique.

So please tell me what am i gushing over? i never said he could walk on water or rise from the dead....What i did say is when ever EIC thread is posted here, it just afree bar for the bullys of this forum.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 am

rizzy56 wrote:yes and jesus died on the cross..in the sence so did elvis in the rock n roll way...

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:34 am

tahoe76 wrote:
IMETJB wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:yes and jesus died on the cross..in the sence so did elvis in the rock n roll way...

Just like Lamar Fike said, Elvis died for all our sins of rock n roll lol!

Haha thats what my point was nice1 ::rocks

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:36 am

Lamar originating that quote doesn't make it any less weirder.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:36 am

tahoe76 wrote:
IMETJB wrote:

you better watch yo mouth i hear they like to gang bang in la . ;A)

Haha all are givers but none of them are takers lmao

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 am

IMETJB wrote:Lamar originating that quote doesn't make it any less weirder.

yeah but i loved it lol

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:40 am

tahoe76 wrote:

Nor does your obsession with Elvis in the late 70s

.....?

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:46 am

tahoe76 wrote:
IMETJB wrote:
tahoe76 wrote:

Nor does your obsession with Elvis in the late 70s

.....?

Your obsession with the late 70s of elvis.
its not healthy.

they just cant let it go.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:16 am

IMETJB wrote:No one is calling anyone less of a fan....er...actually that's not true. You EIC-supporters consistently accuse me of not being a "true" fan because I don't like EIC or because I take the license to talk about Elvis' worst... But anyway...

We're all fans. What makes you guys different is your over-abundance of loyalty that has stripped your ability to actually discuss any of these matters, rationally.

I respect the right of people to like/dislike EIC/77 but it is a bit offensive when some people seem go out of their way to gloat about how bad Elvis was in that period or make sarcastic jokes about it, and sadly there are a couple of people here who do that (not saying that's you IMETJB; you present your opinion in a reasonable and non-inflammatory way and I understand where you are coming from with your comments above).

However, when I was called an idiot in this thread by DJC for saying I understood about showing the changing of the guard but suggested a more valid comparison would have been of both Elvis and the Jam 23 years into their careers (not that the Jam made it that far as an entity), I consider that being called less of a fan. Regardless of the motives of the topic, it is that type of put-down which leads to friction and a bad reputation for this board.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:28 am

rickeap wrote:
IMETJB wrote:No one is calling anyone less of a fan....er...actually that's not true. You EIC-supporters consistently accuse me of not being a "true" fan because I don't like EIC or because I take the license to talk about Elvis' worst... But anyway...

We're all fans. What makes you guys different is your over-abundance of loyalty that has stripped your ability to actually discuss any of these matters, rationally.

I respect the right of people to like/dislike EIC/77 but it is a bit offensive when some people seem go out of their way to gloat about how bad Elvis was in that period or make sarcastic jokes about it, and sadly there are a couple of people here who do that (not saying that's you IMETJB; you present your opinion in a reasonable and non-inflammatory way and I understand where you are coming from with your comments above).

However, when I was called an idiot in this thread by DJC for saying I understood about showing the changing of the guard but suggested a more valid comparison would have been of both Elvis and the Jam 23 years into their careers (not that the Jam made it that far as an entity), I consider that being called less of a fan. Regardless of the motives of the topic, it is that type of put-down which leads to friction and a bad reputation for this board.

when you dont agree to what they have to say, well then your considerd an idiot.