Re: "Are You Lonesome To-night?" --> Mystery Influence !

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:42 am

epf wrote:I think the gay versions of this song were also a message to the colonel. i can not think of another reason to ruin this song this specific way. It is in a way the same message he sent during the closing show of his second season in Las Vegas during 1973. Think FTD "Closing Night". It was more than have fun and letting go after another season. It basically said "**** you" to amongs others the colonel. the versions of 1976 and 1977 made a sore spectacle of a brilliant song once handled brilliantly by the same singer named Elvis Presley.

Or, perhaps, Elvis was unable to commit to performing this song with a straight face. Yes, there are a few superb performances of the song on the concert stage - in particular, during the Hampton Roads show, on April 9th, 1972 - and his original recording is sung with absolute brilliance and complete sincerity. The end result, however, was (IMO) one of the most corny pieces of music-making in the Presley canon, and a sober recitement of such (may have) required more subtlety that Elvis could afford by 1976.

Again, the technical merits of Elvis's studio recording is, nigh-on, beyond reproach, and it was a tremendous hit, the likes of which any singer would wish for. But, to perform live, and with a straight face -- this was a song too easy to sing with tongue firmly in cheek -- along with a nod and a wink, albeit a camp one.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:20 am

greystoke wrote:
epf wrote:I think the gay versions of this song were also a message to the colonel. i can not think of another reason to ruin this song this specific way. It is in a way the same message he sent during the closing show of his second season in Las Vegas during 1973. Think FTD "Closing Night". It was more than have fun and letting go after another season. It basically said "**** you" to amongs others the colonel. the versions of 1976 and 1977 made a sore spectacle of a brilliant song once handled brilliantly by the same singer named Elvis Presley.

Or, perhaps, Elvis was unable to commit to performing this song with a straight face. Yes, there are a few superb performances of the song on the concert stage - in particular, during the Hampton Roads show, on April 9th, 1972 - and his original recording is sung with absolute brilliance and complete sincerity. The end result, however, was (IMO) one of the most corny pieces of music-making in the Presley canon, and a sober recitement of such (may have) required more subtlety that Elvis could afford by 1976.

Again, the technical merits of Elvis's studio recording is, nigh-on, beyond reproach, and it was a tremendous hit, the likes of which any singer would wish for. But, to perform live, and with a straight face -- this was a song too easy to sing with tongue firmly in cheek -- along with a nod and a wink, albeit a camp one.

Agreed to a certain point. But why would he make it a regular during his 1969 comeback engagement? It was not like he was to burst out into laughter each time he would perform it.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:42 am

epf wrote:
greystoke wrote:

Agreed to a certain point. But why would he make it a regular during his 1969 comeback engagement? It was not like he was to burst out into laughter each time he would perform it.

Elvis was on a different wavelength as a performer in 1969. He had something to prove, and the determination in his performances afforded each and every song the utmost of respect, because they were part of a greater challenge. Are You Lonesome Tonight? was a must because of its stature as a hit, but it was a song to test Elvis's vocal range and display how in command he was of his instrument. A year later, it was easy to fob this song off and allow frivolity to replace sincerity, because it's all so very mawkish.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:56 am

Is there any chance that the infamous laughing version from 1969, was EP making fun of the Colonel?

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:34 am

Joe Car wrote:

Is there any chance that the infamous laughing version from 1969, was EP making fun of the Colonel?

Elvis was sailing close to the wind with his general joie de vivre during the August 26th midnight show, and Are You Lonesome Tonight? merely served as the best catalyst for him to lose it altogether. His laughing, snorting and mood in general could be considered borderline unprofessional - indulgent, even - if not for the quality of his performances.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I

phpBB [video]

Blue Barron and His Orchestra, "Are You Lonesome To-night?" (MGM 10628, February 25, 1950)
Billboard U.S. Pop #19, April 1950
Note: Vocal by Billy Beers and the Blue Notes, narration by D.J. John McCormick

Big thanks to member davide for inspiring this topic.

He pointed out to me that the Blue Barron Orchestra release was the first to use the spoken narration. He found that the Presley recitation did betray some minor differences, such as Elvis replacing "If" with "Honey" at the start of the verse which follows with "you lied when you said you loved me." He also noted how McCormick said "The stage is bare and I'm standing there, In the fog of a broken cloud, and if you won't come back to me, then they can bring the curtain down" while Presley chose to say "Now the stage is bare and I'm standing there, with emptiness all around, and if you won't come back to me, then they can bring the curtain down."

Thanks again, David. All of this and more will be in a new book he is working on about Elvis in April 1960. It will be an essential purchase, I guarantee it.

Thank you for posting this interesting topic. Actually, what I hear on the Blue Barron recording (for the words in bold) is: "in the part of a broken clown." (Quite possibly an allusion to the opera, Pagliacci.)

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:36 am

MaryAnn wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I

phpBB [video]

Blue Barron and His Orchestra, "Are You Lonesome To-night?" (MGM 10628, February 25, 1950)
Billboard U.S. Pop #19, April 1950
Note: Vocal by Billy Beers and the Blue Notes, narration by D.J. John McCormick

Big thanks to member davide for inspiring this topic.

He pointed out to me that the Blue Barron Orchestra release was the first to use the spoken narration. He found that the Presley recitation did betray some minor differences, such as Elvis replacing "If" with "Honey" at the start of the verse which follows with "you lied when you said you loved me." He also noted how McCormick said "The stage is bare and I'm standing there, In the fog of a broken cloud, and if you won't come back to me, then they can bring the curtain down" while Presley chose to say "Now the stage is bare and I'm standing there, with emptiness all around, and if you won't come back to me, then they can bring the curtain down."

Thanks again, David. All of this and more will be in a new book he is working on about Elvis in April 1960. It will be an essential purchase, I guarantee it.

Thank you for posting this interesting topic. Actually, what I hear on the Blue Barron recording (for the words in bold) is: "in the part of a broken clown." (Quite possibly an allusion to the opera, Pagliacci.)

Which is very much the way Elvis looked when performing this song for CBS. Oh, tragic.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:39 am

greystoke wrote:
epf wrote:
greystoke wrote:

Elvis was on a different wavelength as a performer in 1969. He had something to prove, and the determination in his performances afforded each and every song the utmost of respect, because they were part of a greater challenge. Are You Lonesome Tonight? was a must because of its stature as a hit, but it was a song to test Elvis's vocal range and display how in command he was of his instrument. A year later, it was easy to fob this song off and allow frivolity to replace sincerity, because it's all so very mawkish.

Again agreed to a certain point. But by August 1970 the bar had dropped considerably. Are you lonesome tonight would not be the only song to suffer from this attitude.
Considering the way Elvis performed it is a wonder that almost every show was sold out, yet, i would have loved to be there. Ah, the continuing mystery of Elvis.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:59 am

I would say the "gay routine" version of the song probably stems from the awkwardness Elvis felt when having to sing a tender love song with Charlie standing next to him, holding a mike. They both quickly realized they could ease the awkwardness of the situation by turning the song into a comedy routine (and have some fun at the same time).

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:24 am

Mister Mike wrote:I would say the "gay routine" version of the song probably stems from the awkwardness Elvis felt when having to sing a tender love song with Charlie standing next to him, holding a mike. They both quickly realized they could ease the awkwardness of the situation by turning the song into a comedy routine (and have some fun at the same time).

And Elvis also quickly realized how awful this offensive display would look on network TV so, between June 19 and 21, 1977, he got a stand to house the guitar mic instead of using his diminutive friend.

Luckily, we can forget about such things, and revel in the artistry of his peerless 1960 studio master.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:I would say the "gay routine" version of the song probably stems from the awkwardness Elvis felt when having to sing a tender love song with Charlie standing next to him, holding a mike. They both quickly realized they could ease the awkwardness of the situation by turning the song into a comedy routine (and have some fun at the same time).

And Elvis also quickly realized how awful this offensive display would look on network TV so, between June 19 and 21, 1977, he got a stand to house the guitar mic instead of using his diminutive friend.

Luckily, we can forget about such things, and revel in the artistry of his peerless 1960 studio master.

Didn't they do the "gay routine" in Omaha?

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:45 pm

Mister Mike wrote:Didn't they do the "gay routine" in Omaha?

No. Charlie tried to start it up, as per the previous evening in Kansas City, and Elvis butted him with the guitar. Clearly the producers and star agreed: Hodge did not look right up there. June 21: poof! Charlie gone.

What are your thoughts on the Blue Barron influence?

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Sadly I'm not sure that this would have been deemed offensive back in 1977 - and I'm certain that such a thing would have been the last thing on Elvis's mind at the time considering the standard of overall performance he put in at Omaha. The mic stand I think was simply a small effort by Elvis to put in a better, more serious performance. "Jokes" against minorities were still par for the course back in the 70s and not seen to be something bad, not even necessarily by the minorities themselves - they were accepted and part of life.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Can anyone share the story of when Elvis made this recording... something to the effect that he had all the lights turned out in the studio... or is that the extent of it? Oh also, didn't the pick fall into Scotty or Hank's guitar at the end of the song? Just curious...

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:55 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Can anyone share the story of when Elvis made this recording... something to the effect that he had all the lights turned out in the studio... or is that the extent of it? Oh also, didn't the pick fall into Scotty or Hank's guitar at the end of the song? Just curious...

From "A life in music, the complete recording sessions":

page 126
Freddy Bienstock had watched unhappily as Elvis ditched stacks of new songs he'd worked hard to get; now, with songs like "Fever" and "Like a baby", the singer was building the session repertoire out of his own record collection.

What about the rumours that Elvis got no new songs anymore? He got them and then decide to records his own favourites!

page 127
....., they moved on to a rare musical contribution from the Colonel himself.
Though it was his own oft-stated policy never to interfere with the music, the year before, when they were still talking about possibly recording in Germany, he had suggested that Elvis try a song that was a favourite of his wife, Marie.

Now, with the studio lights turned down, Elvis gave the sentimental song the full theatrical treatment, creating a credible drama in which the singer is seduced, deceived, and finally abandoned. It was a surprising selection, yet almost as once - and almost as surprisingly - it became an immediate contender for single release.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:42 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Can anyone share the story of when Elvis made this recording... something to the effect that he had all the lights turned out in the studio... or is that the extent of it? Oh also, didn't the pick fall into Scotty or Hank's guitar at the end of the song? Just curious...

Here's an incredible, fresh look at "Are You Lonesome To-night?" -- Elvis' #1 1960 single -- by author Daniel Wolff.

Daniel Wolff --> "Elvis In The Dark"
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51905

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:03 pm

Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

To a certain agree, they did. I find it baffling that someone like Elvis used a living mike stand, really. I mean.. come on.
And i do not think this is the reason why this song turned into a very unflattering gay routine.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Elvis told charlie to play it straight and charlie must not have heard him or something because he starts doing the gay routine and that's when Elvis' face turns red and he nudges Charlie with the guitar..Elvis looks embarrassed by it,,,like the Doc said the next filming Charlie was gone but of course Elvis messes up on the lyrics anyways and his face turns red and he looks embarrassed so I guess it really didn't matter..lol

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:45 pm

joshferrell wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Elvis told charlie to play it straight and charlie must not have heard him or something because he starts doing the gay routine and that's when Elvis' face turns red and he nudges Charlie with the guitar..Elvis looks embarrassed by it,,,like the Doc said the next filming Charlie was gone but of course Elvis messes up on the lyrics anyways and his face turns red and he looks embarrassed so I guess it really didn't matter..lol

When Elvis commented, "Play it straight," to Charlie, I thought his tongue was firmly in cheek. After all, had Elvis wanted to play the song sans any distraction, Hodge's duty as a mic stand should have been fulfilled by the genuine article. A poor set-up, regardless of Elvis's overall performances on the day, and general approach to this song on the concert stage.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Here's an incredible, fresh look at "Are You Lonesome To-night?" -- Elvis' #1 1960 single -- by author Daniel Wolff.

Cool and great article. It pains me to say this but it puts Careless Love in its right place: not a good biography. Where it succeeded in part one, it fails greatly in part two and that means that the definitive biography has yet to be written.

Elvis is so much more than the crazy, confused, out of touch with reality and actually a weirdo without calling him that than the writer wants us to believe that was Elvis in a nutshell from 1960 until his way too early demise.

Even the action during Are You Lonesome Tonight described perfectly by the doc (the guitar punch) shows us that Elvis was quite aware and awake, even though his appearance and actions would make you believe otherwise.

That really is the mystery of the second part of Elvis' life, which Careless Love failed to penetrate and describe. This great article shows a great insight and a biography by this writer would not go unnoticed i think.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:24 pm

joshferrell wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Actually, i fail to see the humor in it, even though your description shows great insight. The fact that he messed up on the 2nd occasion is more of a tragedy to me than something uplifting or funny. It was deadly painful and he was quite aware of it.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:27 pm

greystoke wrote:
joshferrell wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

When Elvis commented, "Play it straight," to Charlie, I thought his tongue was firmly in cheek. After all, had Elvis wanted to play the song sans any distraction, Hodge's duty as a mic stand should have been fulfilled by the genuine article. A poor set-up, regardless of Elvis's overall performances on the day, and general approach to this song on the concert stage.

Your comment would be true if Elvis did not use Hodge as a living mike stand on other occasions and other songs. Elvis did this on numerous occasions. Pretty unprofessional and a shame to both Elvis and Charlie, for different reasons though.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Still one of my favorite writings on Elvis's career. GREAT article!

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:52 am

epf wrote:
joshferrell wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Actually, i fail to see the humor in it, even though your description shows great insight. The fact that he messed up on the 2nd occasion is more of a tragedy to me than something uplifting or funny. It was deadly painful and he was quite aware of it.

yeah I see what you mean...it seems that he was distracted by the lady that yelled to him when he asked "I wonder if you're lonesome tonight" then he got tongue tied..also it seems that Elvis was always kind of playing around with the talking part anyways through out the year so maybe subconsciously (sp) he went into that mode after being distracted because he kind of "lost his train of thought" ..I think that maybe two nights before he was messing with the talking part because he was trying to gain to composure after being embarrassed,however if you notice he did kind of laugh it off both times so maybe he was trying to make it look like he was messing up on purpose when in fact he wasn't ..

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:46 am

joshferrell wrote:
epf wrote:
joshferrell wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

yeah I see what you mean...it seems that he was distracted by the lady that yelled to him when he asked "I wonder if you're lonesome tonight" then he got tongue tied..also it seems that Elvis was always kind of playing around with the talking part anyways through out the year so maybe subconsciously (sp) he went into that mode after being distracted because he kind of "lost his train of thought" ..I think that maybe two nights before he was messing with the talking part because he was trying to gain to composure after being embarrassed,however if you notice he did kind of laugh it off both times so maybe he was trying to make it look like he was messing up on purpose when in fact he wasn't ..

sadly the messing up of the spoken passage was as much to do with elvis's health as anything else. His speech throughout both shows is slurred, and with some very odd things being spoken as well. It's almost as if he is half asleep. Anyone comparing his speech during the shows with that of Judy Garland in her live 1955 TV special - before which she had taken too many tranquilisers - would find great similarities.